Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,135 members, 7,821,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) (48028 Views)

Question: What Is Igbako In English? / How Do U Interprete 'Eku Amojuba' In English / Question !! What Is *sim Card* In Yoruba Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Nobody: 12:29am On May 20, 2012
[size=18pt]Only non-Yorubas will come here and say "Eku" only means " Die". So when someone says "Eku aaro = ekaaro" it means, "die this morning"?

Can you guys kindly stick to your mother's language?

[/size]
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Gbengaslc: 12:45am On May 20, 2012
Fati99: This question has been plaguing me for months and I would kindly like the well versed in English Language help me out.

Ekaabo is welcome but please what is Ekujoko in English Language? Our cleaner at the office said "welldone" and that doesn't make sense, imagine sitting down for hours waiting to see a person and then someone/the secretary tells you "welldone", it is annoying while my funny brother says it is "welldone sitting", lol.

So, Esteemed Nairalanders, what is Ekujoko in plain English or how do I greet someone who's been sitting for hours probably at the office/party etc Ekujoko.

The correct answer (adjudged by all) gets a recharge card, =N=500 any network.

[size=14pt]UPDATE:[/size]
Wow, so many attempts. Thanks everybody but in my opinion geosegun is the closest and quite a number of people agree. At least I can always say "Thanks for being patient or thanks for your patience, the MD will see you in a moment". He is deserving of the recharge card or what do you guys think? Please choose/like the best answer.

Fati99: This question has been plaguing me for months and I would kindly like the well versed in English Language help me out.

Ekaabo is welcome but please what is Ekujoko in English Language? Our cleaner at the office said "welldone" and that doesn't make sense, imagine sitting down for hours waiting to see a person and then someone/the secretary tells you "welldone", it is annoying while my funny brother says it is "welldone sitting", lol.

So, Esteemed Nairalanders, what is Ekujoko in plain English or how do I greet someone who's been sitting for hours probably at the office/party etc Ekujoko.

Wow, so many attempts. Thanks everybody but in my opinion [color=#990000]geosegun is the closest and quite a number of people agree. At least I can always say "Thanks for being patient or thanks for your patience, the MD will see you in a moment". He is deserving of the recharge card or what do you guys think? Please choose/like the best answer.

[/color]

Wow, so many attempts. Thanks everybody but in my opinion geosegun is the closest and quite a number of people agree. At least I can always say "Thanks for being patient or thanks for your patience, the MD will see you in a moment". He is deserving of the recharge card or what do you guys think? Please choose/like the best answer.

in greetings. Eku ijoko in english means "happy sitting".
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Nobody: 12:52am On May 20, 2012
Happy seating? undecided undecided

Didn't really want to use "Happy," but it's the closest word that fits, I think. undecided
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Dgovnr(m): 12:54am On May 20, 2012
Note what we call language interference in Eng Lang- eg. A school boy who was asked where his mother was and replied; THEY ARE coming instead of saying "SHE IS coming / SHE IS on her way"
Back to the topic, it's yoruba's who greet: EKU 'JOKO, the native speakers will say "HI/..HOPE U ARE ALRIGHT/...HOPE U ENJOY YOURSELF/(finally) WELL DONE"
<do u want to question my 'well done' as you are still unclear with the usage? Then ask yourself the meaning of well done, WELL: an adverb which qualifies the action word DONE-meaning what is being done. Now are you telling me that SITTING DOWN FOR A REASON is not an action? You are doing something and saying WELL DONE not too bad in that situation.
Above all, learn this and dont eat with it, CONVENTIONAL ENGLISH is not affected by rules of concord which are basic principles of English Grammaticality and Correctness. CONVENTIONAL ENGLISH is to be used the way it is being used by the native speakers. It is being maintained and handed down from generation to generation.
That's why i've given you how the users say it without any conflict and you also can take pains to mind and listen to the native speakers greet one another in that situation.

2 Likes

Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by igboboy1(m): 1:23am On May 20, 2012
joeyfire: Are u nuts

UMMMM NO SIR...BUT YOU ARE..
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by igboboy1(m): 1:24am On May 20, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
Only non-Yorubas will come here and say "Eku" only means " Die". So when someone says "Eku aaro = ekaaro" it means, "die this morning"?

[Can you guys kindly stick to your mother's language?

Seconded
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by PeterKbaba: 1:25am On May 20, 2012
you need to put the sign's (Ami) on the alphabets, in order to understand the meaning of the words, then we can talk of group of words, then a sentence.
So this particular words has no meaning.

Probably its means

Eku Ijoko means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while sited.

Eku Ise means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while working.

Eku ile means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while at home.

Eku ikale means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while here.

Eku Ipade means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while you are gathered.

Eku Ipade Wa means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while we are gathered here.

Eku Ipade Wa Loni means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while we are gathered here today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by fyneguy: 2:34am On May 20, 2012
''Eku Ijoko'' is often used to acknowledge someone's patience, in waiting (while seated). Hence, the translation will be ''Thanks for waiting'' or ''Thanks for your patience''

1 Like

Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by PeterKbaba: 2:42am On May 20, 2012
fyneguy: ''Eku Ijoko'' is often used to acknowledge someone's patience, in waiting (while seated). Hence, the translation will be ''Thanks for waiting'' or ''Thanks for your patience''

Dnt think so.. so what is eku ise
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by darlingbas(m): 2:55am On May 20, 2012
thanks for your patience is wrong as it means eku suuru in yoruba.
Bottom line is that eku ijoko can not be translated to English.
Supposing the winner of this competition is a diasporan, are you going to pay their phone bill for The month? Lol because 500 naira no go do Oh. Just kidding
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by fyneguy: 3:15am On May 20, 2012
PeterKbaba:

Dnt think so.. so what is eku ise
Eku Ise is ''welldone o''

darlingbas: thanks for your patience is wrong as it means eku suuru in yoruba.
Bottom line is that eku ijoko can not be translated to English.
Supposing the winner of this competition is a diasporan, are you going to pay their phone bill for The month? Lol because 500 naira no go do Oh. Just kidding

''Eku suuru'' is contextually different from ''Eku Ijoko'', in the sense that Eku Suuru acknowlegdes someone's TOLERANCE. For instance, Nigerians' tolerance of bad governments over the years can be acknowledged by saying ''Nigerians, E ku suuru o'' but in the case of ''Eku Ijoko'', Someone is patiently waiting to see someone. Hence, he's encouraged to wait further by saying ''Eku Ijoko o''

2 Likes

Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by tos4u(m): 3:19am On May 20, 2012
Eku ijoko means BLESSED SITTING period
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by RuuDie(m): 7:18am On May 20, 2012
With respect to Buhari's now infamous "Baboon and Dog" spoken in Hausa...I think those guys over at the politics section down here to see how very easy it is to mis-interprete, miscontrue or blow way out of proportion, the simplest of statements!
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by jdash123: 8:01am On May 20, 2012
You cannot translate it to English directly but to me.[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Azrau(m): 8:03am On May 20, 2012
U all olodos simple stuff ,yoruba believe dat we are going 2 die in a position either standing,siting,etc dat why dey do greet eku.eku translation mean die why siting.But in English word well_ done
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by member479760: 8:07am On May 20, 2012
PeterKbaba: Nigeria's Problem! Ahmadu Bello Speech 1964 till date (Pls take note of the first 30 seconds )/ Fela Speech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p8B4IY3vgo&feature=related

and the like of Ahmadu Bello you guys still celebrate as your hero!
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by talk2dhanny: 8:18am On May 20, 2012
Eku Ijoko = I hope you are Comfortable?

Translation of such yoruba words are not done literally.

1 Like

Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Nobody: 8:28am On May 20, 2012
PeterKbaba: you need to put the sign's (Ami) on the alphabets, in order to understand the meaning of the words, then we can talk of group of words, then a sentence.
So this particular words has no meaning.

Probably its means

Eku Ijoko means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while sited.

Eku Ise means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while working.

Eku ile means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while at home.

Eku ikale means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while here.

Eku Ipade means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while you are gathered.

Eku Ipade Wa means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while we are gathered here.

Eku Ipade Wa Loni means I see you are enjoying the pleasure while we are gathered here today.

weldone you...smiley
Could you pls break down, 'Eku owo(hand) lomi'? wink
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Clemzy16(m): 8:50am On May 20, 2012
i think it means ''die while sitting.'' in yoruba 'ku.' means die, eku means 'you die.' and joko means 'sit down'. In addition it means 'die while sitting'.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Jabioro: 9:00am On May 20, 2012
Eku ijoko literally means bear with me or with us,we shall soon attend 2 u.Eku ijo can also means thanks 4 being patient,ur endurance is noticed.

1 Like

Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Ustec: 9:20am On May 20, 2012
Pls HW DO U NW SAY "EKU ILE" in English o?
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Meritgoal(m): 10:33am On May 20, 2012
The correct word is simply well sited, No more no less.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by cindyrella(f): 10:46am On May 20, 2012
Lol @ replies

@topic it means die while seating grin grin grin
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by SIRCONFIDENCE(m): 11:40am On May 20, 2012
It simply means ENJOY YOUR STAY HERE
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Nobody: 12:00pm On May 20, 2012
Sitdown look
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by deshysmalls(m): 1:51pm On May 20, 2012
Guess you are an Obahiagbon in the making btw if this write up is originally yours i must say i salute you Grammatical eloquence
bigboywho: Meaning: "Your unrelenting persistence in gluing your posterior to the recumbent furniture is an act of contrite reflected affection for our apparent non-participation in effective or abrupt reconciliation of the matter that initiated your positioning in this voluntary excruciating posture, the gesture being well appreciated and honored is by no means underrated but intimately accepted, as you ponder and postulate your participation and contribution in your present disposition."
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Timijo(m): 2:12pm On May 20, 2012
Fati99: lmao! you people sef, be serious joor. I like happy sitting but that's not it.

NB: I am not asking for the literal meaning of Ekujoko, I am asking you guys to tell me how to say that to someone in English Language.
You can say sit back or sit tight. Any of d 2 is correct.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Timijo(m): 2:16pm On May 20, 2012

You can say sit back or sit tight. Any of the 2 is correct.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Brite02(m): 2:27pm On May 20, 2012
geosegun: grin grin grin grin

EKU-IJOKO literary means WELL-DONE FOR YOUR PATIENCE WHILE STILL SEATED.

EKU here works as an adjective qualifying a Noun(IJOKO).
As in EKU-ISE which means WELL-DONE FOR WORKING SO HARD.
weldone dude, u are on the right track..
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 20, 2012
Iru ibeere rada rada wo ni eleyi? Ki ni eleyi wa de oju ewe waju? Mtsheeeeeeeeeew *mo wo oshe*
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Joagbaje(m): 3:51pm On May 20, 2012
Fati99: lmao! you people sef, be serious joor. I like happy sitting but that's not it.

NB: I am not asking for the literal meaning of Ekujoko, I am asking you guys to tell me how to say that to someone in English Language.

Give them their recharge cards. There is no word like that in English . It's not every phrase that has interpretations.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ogunwusi & King Jaja Of Opobo Pictured / Obi Chukwuka Noah Akaeze Graduates From UK University (Photos) / Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.