Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,855 members, 7,813,912 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? (14034 Views)

Volunteers For Nigerian Premier League (NPFL) Live Matches. (2012/2013 Season) / Salaries Of Nigerian Premier League Players. / Nigerian Premier League (NPL) Top Scorer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Tattooboy: 12:41am On May 24, 2012
slam7000:

kano is one of the most difficult places to place for an away team.....its difficult to officiate or get a result there,not because the pillars cldnt be beaten but imagine an away team 1 nil up and 5mins to go...you,ll see fans pointing daggers at npl match commissioner and the match officials...pillars have a good team but nt like the days of ahmed musa and co.there was a match some yrs back btw enugu rangers and gombe,rangers were 1-0 up and the referee didnt blow the final whitsle till gombe equalised dubiously at about 90mins + more than 10mins injury time...even rangers players were begging the ref to give home team a penalty and spare them the wrath of the home supporters..
this happens in Europe too e.g Man Utd against Mancity last 2 season i guess where Owen scored d winning goal @ 90+ 7 mins or so
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Dermie: 1:59am On May 24, 2012
timpaker: 1. they don't show the replay and when they do, it's very difficult to understand what they're trying to show.
2. they don't have better image quality, (i think someone should introduce HD camera to them)
3. they don't know how to celebrate goal, (someone would score a goal and just frown as if he didn't just put the ball in the net, maybe balloeli is his mentor)
4. the refere are always beating up when a team loses (maybe some Chelsea fans were paid to do so)

the reason goes on and on....
you really observed them, plus they can have two players wearing jersey Number 2, where one was initially 12...their jersey have different color for thesame team-mate...pitch and camera view is very bad, sometimes they wont show the players with the ball.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by honeric01(m): 3:02am On May 24, 2012
Dermie: you really observed them, plus they can have two players wearing jersey Number 2, where one was initially 12...their jersey have different color for thesame team-mate...pitch and camera view is very bad, sometimes they wont show the players with the ball.

Seriously, WHEN LAST DID YOU GUYS WATCH THE NIGERIAN LEAGUE? this is a lie, 5-10 years ago? maybe, but 5 year to present time? damn lie.. YOU GUYS SHOULD STOP SAYING RUBBISH ABOUT WHAT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.. now tell me if you want to prove, where do you want all these from? which station?
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by toshmann(m): 3:49am On May 24, 2012
last time i watched a nigerian game was at owerri in 2004. nationale vs . . . . . . undecided . . cant remember now, i think it was called 3SC shooting star. it was a great game. i loved it. the next day i decided to watch in on tv, i couldnt believe the rubbish on tv was the great game i watched the day before. the camera crew are pathetic
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by honeric01(m): 3:54am On May 24, 2012
toshmann: last time i watched a nigerian game was at owerri in 2004. nationale vs . . . . . . undecided . . cant remember now, i think it was called 3SC shooting star. it was a great game. i loved it. the next day i decided to watch in on tv, i couldnt believe the rubbish on tv was the great game i watched the day before. the camera crew are pathetic

2012-2004 = 8YEARS, don't you think that's not fair enough to be used in judging the league?

Super sports is the only media house licensed to show our league and the last time i checked, they are a standard media house.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by toshmann(m): 4:06am On May 24, 2012
i'm not judging the league. i said the game was great(didnt you see it). but the tv production was wack. i think it was the state television. it was whack. i hope theyve improved.
i used to love super sports. till today i believe they are the best in half time analysis, better than bbc, and way better than espn or fox soccer channel in US. miss them
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by honeric01(m): 4:14am On May 24, 2012
toshmann: i'm not judging the league. i said the game was great(didnt you see it). but the tv production was wack. i think it was the state television. it was whack. i hope theyve improved.
i used to love super sports. till today i believe they are the best in half time analysis, better than bbc, and way better than espn or fox soccer channel in US. miss them

Yes i saw that, was only commenting about the "wack on tv" aspect.

The management is what is killing the league right now.. people without sport and administrative knowledge being allowed to run the game..
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Nobody: 6:49am On May 24, 2012
Sagamite: Because the tv production, the playing, the coaching, the officiating and the administration are all done up to the typical Naija standard: RUBBISH!
Exactly, nothing good nor funny about NPL. I rather wacth cartoon instead!
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by doublefreez(m): 7:17am On May 24, 2012
Hw many channels show NPL. I don't knw. I'd like 2 watch but NFF has got a great deal of work 2 do. From Marketing to sensitization. Personally, I'd like 2 watch but no access, on info.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by francis247(m): 7:37am On May 24, 2012
how pesin wan take it rice without salt & maggi talkless of d 1 without onions & pepper. Sha, I dey use NPL do sleep medicine once a while!
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by honeric01(m): 7:55am On May 24, 2012
doublefreez: Hw many channels show NPL. I don't knw. I'd like 2 watch but NFF has got a great deal of work 2 do. From Marketing to sensitization. Personally, I'd like 2 watch but no access, on info.

On dstv just like the same EPL you watch is shown on DSTV and other cable networks.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Nobody: 8:36am On May 24, 2012
my street monkiy-post match is more interesting than nigerian league
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by mexzony: 8:49am On May 24, 2012
The excitment is not there aπϑ failure †✽ get the fundamental issues right like pitches,refereeing,marketing aπϑ so on.let's be honest watching the epl makes U̶̲̥̅̊ feel good.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by Korrection(m): 8:53am On May 24, 2012
JAMILO2020: WHOSOEVER THAT POSTED THIS HERE SHOULD BE ARRESTED AND CHARGED WITH TREASON AGAINST NIGERIA.

HOW CAN ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND ENCOURAGE OUR FELLOW NIGERIANS TO WATCH THE RUBBISH THAT IS NIGERIAN FOOTBALL?

WITH ALL THE WONDERFUL TALENTS EVERYWHERE IN NIGERIA, CORRUPTION HAS MADE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR NIGERIA TO DEVELOP A GOLDMINE THAT WE ALREADY HAVE.

THE EPL WAS JUST REORGANIZED AND JAZZED UP TO BECOME A MONEY SPINNING BUSINESS VENTURE ONLY FIFTEEN YEARS AGO, BUT NOW HAS PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD SUPPORTING THE VARIOUS TEAMS IN THE EPL.

UNTIL NIGERIA REORGANIZES ITS LEAGUES AS A BUSINESS CONCERN, NIGERIA HAS NO RIGHT TO EXPECT ITS CITIZENS TO PATRONIZE THE NPL.

INFACT, MOST NIGERIAN WILL RATHER COMMIT SUCIDE THAN WATCH THE RUBBISH CALLED NPL.

IT IS ONE THING TO LOVE YOUR COUNTRY, BUT EVERYONE KNOWS THAT 'MADE-IN-NIGERIA' IS PURE RUBBISH

why not make it better and stop the complains...wonder how some people thinks they are the best...hisssesss
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by anataala: 8:55am On May 24, 2012
cos the are playing police football
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by acufes(m): 9:55am On May 24, 2012
I believe the only problem is adequate funding and publicity.
leagues like the those in russia, china are not really watched (worldwide), but they are well funded.
if only we too can adequately fund our local league, and create a package that'll be enticing to local and foreign footballers alike, then, we'll get quality players.

imagine a future where a nigerian team beats barca at the club world championships.
it begins with publicity
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by aswani(m): 12:27pm On May 24, 2012
"The then IICC Shooting Stars were also good with such players like Yisa Shofoluwe, Wole Odegbami( later Abiola Babes), Mutiu Adepoju, Ademola Adeshina, Jide Oguntuase, Kehinde Keshinro"

Err, Shofoluwe and Wole Odegbami never played for IICC, Wole never played for Abiola Babes either.

I think the press are responsible, they used to devote a lot more pages to the league in the 80's. Now they are more interested in talking about European leagues. I bought a local Nigerian 'sports' paper a few years ago hoping for some match reports, player profiles and opinion pieces on the League. The 14 page publication only had 3 pages devoted to the league with very little interesting information.

I remember people being locked out of Onikan Stadium for a Staionery Stores vs NEPA National league division 2 match 30 minutes before kick off because the stadium was full in the mid 80's.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by lbotus(f): 12:53pm On May 24, 2012
i can't remember the teams,i heard the players and supporters screamed "goaaallll" only for the yeye camera to show an empty net and players running in jubilation......'the goal' wasn't captured @ the time it entered the net. the replay lipsrsealed grin
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by honeric01(m): 12:57pm On May 24, 2012
lbotus: i can't remember the teams,i heard the players and supporters screamed "goaaallll" only for the yeye camera to show an empty net and players running in jubilation......'the goal' wasn't captured @ the time it entered the net. the replay lipsrsealed grin

How many years ago?
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by lbotus(f): 1:05pm On May 24, 2012
last year tongue
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by honeric01(m): 1:24pm On May 24, 2012
lbotus: last year tongue

On what station ( lie again make i catch u grin )
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by lbotus(f): 1:28pm On May 24, 2012
^^^are you an NPL official? angry
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by honeric01(m): 1:45pm On May 24, 2012
lbotus: ^^^are you an NPL official? angry

Na, i am a truth detector grin, seriously, where did you watch that? what station? tongue
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by jay2smart19(m): 2:37pm On May 24, 2012
E plenty bt my main reasons are, i dnt even knw where the ball use to go or the camera men de smoke dry shit. 2nd na d pitches. Dem don de fine sha bt our comentator need to stop drink gari too oh
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by lbotus(f): 3:10pm On May 24, 2012
Honeric01, seriously it happened . I was so angry that i'd to switch off the TV.i can't remember the station maybe NTA but am not sure o!
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by edey2real: 3:31pm On May 24, 2012
@op, I was very fortunate to watch Enyimba FC vs Kaduna UTD's match last week Sunday live. But what I saw in the match was very appauling.
Enyimba's first goal came from what was supposed to be a fair play. Kaduna UTD's goal keeper was roughly challenged from an aerial ball and on landing, the keeper was still having the ball but he had to throw the ball to throwing when the refree stoped play. But to my suprise, when Enyimba players throw the ball which was supposed to be passed to Kaduna UTD players for Fair play, they actually used it to score and their opponents din't approached them cos they were expecting the ball to be given to them.
This kind of officiating is very terrible and I feel embarassed for watching the match.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by honeric01(m): 4:23pm On May 24, 2012
lbotus: Honeric01, seriously it happened . I was so angry that i'd to switch off the TV.i can't remember the station maybe NTA but am not sure o!

Babe, i am sorry to disappoint you, no LOCAL station shows our league, the only media house LICENSED to show our league is SUPERSPORTS, so maybe you were watching a Zimbabwean tv or chad's tv, certainly not Nigerian. SS has been covering our league for more then 4 years now so i know what i am saying.
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by lbotus(f): 4:58pm On May 24, 2012
grin grin grin ;Di told ya i wasn't sure of the station angry grin
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by honeric01(m): 5:41pm On May 24, 2012
lbotus: grin grin grin ;Di told ya i wasn't sure of the station angry grin

Finally, then it wasn't our league you saw then grin, oya comfess, na chad own u watch tongue
Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by novaman: 6:02pm On May 24, 2012
I watch the Nigeria league etc, because I want to be part of the change, we all decide to seat on the fence all the time and wait for someone with the magic wand to help us; we can force a change in our little ways.

The Problem with the Nigeria Premier League is not about the technical abilities, or the players or even the playing surface, the security issue we all highlighted is just the smallest part of the puzzle; the solution is BRANDING, with the power of branding the America can even sell junk to us we would break banks to buy, please take a good look at the US Baseball and tell me what is exciting about the game, yet see the kind of media attention it gets to make it one of the best watched sports in the world.

In the late 80s, the English First Division (now Premiership) was horrible to seen, but all that changed when the power of branding took over, then you start getting words like "THE BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD", so why can't we start by having the best "League in Africa" or "the Best of the West", we can use the power of our location, which is the center of Africa, then the support of wealth to attract the best from within Africa with the addition of the European leftovers. We can make a change, because it is possible.

I am not an expert Brand Manager, but I know a thing or two that can be done to re-brand the Nigeria Premier League, the National League and the Nation Wide League.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Premier League: Why Don't People Watch It? by honeric01(m): 6:46pm On May 24, 2012
novaman: I watch the Nigeria league etc, because I want to be part of the change, we all decide to seat on the fence all the time and wait for someone with the magic wand to help us; we can force a change in our little ways.

The Problem with the Nigeria Premier League is not about the technical abilities, or the players or even the playing surface, the security issue we all highlighted is just the smallest part of the puzzle; the solution is BRANDING, with the power of branding the America can even sell junk to us we would break banks to buy, please take a good look at the US Baseball and tell me what is exciting about the game, yet see the kind of media attention it gets to make it one of the best watched sports in the world.

In the late 80s, the English First Division (now Premiership) was horrible to seen, but all that changed when the power of branding took over, then you start getting words like "THE BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD", so why can't we start by having the best "League in Africa" or "the Best of the West", we can use the power of our location, which is the center of Africa, then the support of wealth to attract the best from within Africa with the addition of the European leftovers. We can make a change, because it is possible.

I am not an expert Brand Manager, but I know a thing or two that can be done to re-brand the Nigeria Premier League, the National League and the Nation Wide League.

u dey mind them? angel Gabriel go come help them repair the league

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Players To Look Out For In 2017/18 NPFL Season / Cat Video: Kurt Zouma, Brother Charged Under Animal Welfare Act / Ugwuanyi Gives Champions Rangers Land, Cash Gift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.