Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,499 members, 7,823,167 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group (10799 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Said He Will Open The Gates Of Hell On Whoever Opposes GEJ. / FG And Nigerian Military Describe CNN Report On Boko Haram As Satanic / Why The US Wont Tag Boko-Haram As A Terrorist Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by Nobody: 8:19am On May 23, 2012
AMID pressure on President Barack Obama to formally designate Boko Haram a foreign terrorist organisation (FTO), Nigeria has kicked against the move.

The Federal Government raised its objection to the plan ahead of yesterday’s meeting of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Gen. Andrew Owoye Azazi, with top White House and State Department officials in Washington DC.

Nigeria’s Ambassador to the U.S., Prof. Ade Adefuye, who confirmed Azazi’s meeting with the American officials, said the government was opposed to such a designation because it might subject Nigerian travellers to the kind of intensive search and scrutiny around the world, especially in western capitals and cities after the Farouk Abdulmutallab incident in December 2009.

Ambassador Adefuye in his defence of government’s action, said he feared the likelihood of Nigerians being opened to all kinds of harassments at international airports once such a designation comes from the U.S., including intensive and intrusive body searches.

The envoy said the government would on its own contain the Boko Haram menace as it did in quelling the militancy in the Niger Delta.

As at press time yesterday, Azazi, accompanied by Adefuye, was at a meeting with White House officials and was billed later in the day to attend another parley at the State Department, which has come under pressure both from the American Congress and the Justice Department to declare Boko Haram a global terror group.

As matters now stand, the State Department is in agreement with the Nigerian Embassy in Washington DC and has refused to designate Boko Haram a “foreign terrorist organisation.”

Informed U.S. government sources hinted that the meetings would review the pressure from the American Congress calling for the formal designation of Boko Haram as a terror gang among other counter-terrorism issues.

Top officials of President Barack Obama’s National Security Council at the White House were believed to have met with Azazi yesterday morning, while his meeting at the State Department would be hosted by the country’s Ambassador-at-Large and Co-ordinator for Counter-Terrorism, Daniel Benjamin.

In the past few days, the U.S. media and western news wire had been reporting on plans by some American federal lawmakers to ensure that Boko Haram is designated as a terrorist organization.

The lawmakers argued that the U.S. and global interests had been attacked by the group, citing the suicide bombing of the United Nations (UN) building in Abuja as evidence of the armed group’s intent to harm American interests.

But while the Congressional leaders have been writing the Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, demanding such a designation and also threatening to enforce it by way of legislation, some American scholars earlier this week openly opposed the plan.

The letter written by the scholars, numbering 20, included signatories of Dr. Jean Herskovitz, from the State University of New York, former U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria, John Campbell, and a Nigerian-born don, Dr. Rita Edozien, from the Michigan State University.

The scholars said if the U.S. goes ahead to designate Boko Haram FTO, it would “internationalise the group’s standing and enhance its status among radical organisations elsewhere.”

Besides, the American intellectuals noted that “should Boko Haram be designated an FTO through this regime, it would be illegal for non-governmental organisations to interact with members of the terror gang – even if the purpose of such contact was to persuade them to renounce violence.”

But some prominent American Congressmen have insisted that the Obama administration must designate the insurgent gang a “foreign terrorist organisation.”

An agency report on Monday quoted Senator Scott Brown, a Republican from Massachusetts, as adding his voice in a letter to Clinton, urging her to designate the group as a terrorist body under U.S. law.

The argument from the lawmakers have been backed up with the reported facts that Boko Haram is linked to al-Qaeda, and also because the group had been linked to 700 killings in Nigeria over the last 18 months.

Last weekend, U.S. Representatives Peter King and Patrick Meehan, chairmen of the House Homeland Security Committee and its Counter-Terrorism Sub-committee in that order, both Republicans wrote to Clinton “suggesting that the administration was moving too slowly on the issue.”

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=86979:nigeria-opposes-us-bid-to-tag-boko-haram-terror-group-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559#.T7xyykb4qgg.twitter
Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by SpiritofOkija(m): 10:30am On May 23, 2012
GOOd move GEJ!!

Would hate to be embarrased at the airport because some cattle-fuckers were egged on by Buhari to kill muslims because he lost the elections!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by Nobody: 10:30am On May 23, 2012
Clearly, this hv shown that, there's a linkage btw d fed. govt n d sect. Bleep em all...

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by killuminati(m): 10:31am On May 23, 2012
Ok
Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by killuminati(m): 10:34am On May 23, 2012
Spirit of Okija: GOOd move GEJ!!

Would hate to be embarrased at the airport because some cattle-fuckers were egged on by Buhari to kill muslims because he lost the elections!!
You got hate in ya blood! undecided
Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by ANTITRIBALISM(m): 10:37am On May 23, 2012
Though, it's good to protect the image of the country but boko haram are simply a terror group. Lets call a spade a spade or what else can we call them after terrorising the country and killing thousands of people without any tangible reason.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by Calebsky(m): 10:38am On May 23, 2012
good move. and who are these republicans? ....racists shocked
Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by SpiritofOkija(m): 10:38am On May 23, 2012
killuminati: You got hate in ya blood! undecided

Nope!!! Just ice in my veins!! wink .. No love lost for normads!!
Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by Opoki(m): 10:40am On May 23, 2012
See US department of State ooo. Dey want Boko Haram to be named international Terror so that they can set-up Armours, Personnels, Intelligence Unit's & co in our obodo Nigeria just like they did is the middle east. I might be wrong but i think this is definately what they're up to.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by maclatunji: 10:42am On May 23, 2012

Ignorance on display. Was Boko Haram not on rampage during Yar'adua's tenure?

@topic, if the Nigerian government is up to the task of securing the nation, I don't see any reason why the NSA or any other government official would be begging the U.S. not to designate any group bombing and killing Nigerians as a terrorist organisation.

Whatever name they are called does not stop them from being what they are.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by gegee(m): 10:46am On May 23, 2012
not to take for granted the havoc and loss of lives caused by this group,declaring them to be an international terrorist group will give them too much attention and status and may even lead to more serious collaboration with other notorious international terrorist groups
Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by KMOS: 10:48am On May 23, 2012
if they H are labelled as such FTO then they will gain prominence from other teror groups like alqaeda so good to just be little them as such
Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by KMOS: 10:48am On May 23, 2012
if they bH are labelled as such FTO then they will gain prominence from other teror groups like alqaeda so good to just be little them as such

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by killuminati(m): 10:49am On May 23, 2012
Spirit of Okija:

No love found either cry
Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by Chanchit: 10:49am On May 23, 2012

I fink that ur hand wei u dey use press robbish on your keyboard should be amputated, u've always been negative in all ur comments, @least i have read ur comments on 3 diff' stories, and they are all nonsense, bt i won't blame u anyway, na d spirit of okija dey control ur thinking....
Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by Chanchit: 10:52am On May 23, 2012
KMOS: if they bH are labelled as such FTO then they will gain prominence from other teror groups like alqaeda so good to just be little them as such
Abio....
Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by Calebsky(m): 10:55am On May 23, 2012
Opoki: See US department of State ooo. Dey want Boko Haram to be named international Terror so that they can set-up Armours, Personnels, Intelligence Unit's & co in our obodo Nigeria just like they did is the middle east. I might be wrong but i think this is definately what they're up to.

It's been their plan long ago. Its a script they are playing. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by timmy1999(m): 10:58am On May 23, 2012
KMOS: if they H are labelled as such FTO then they will gain prominence from other teror groups like alqaeda so good to just be little them as such

You are right..that wat dey want
Me I still won travel..I no won make some foolish bh come spoil my plans..because most embassy will start deny naija visas..
Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by queensmith: 11:00am On May 23, 2012
International harassment isn't even the only reason. The americans being soo trigger happy may resolve to bringing their war to Nigeria. Further compounding the situation and even making the terrorists happy. Abeg, they should find another country to destroy.

It is a local problem after all and it's mainly politically motivated, the government simply need to employ measures to prevent this happening in the future, if they make significant investments now and encourage industry development in the problem areas terror groups will find it harder to recruit. Once they have brought about long term solutions they can work on the present situation.

I hope GEJs administration can analyse things from that perspective, if OBJ had done the same we wouldn't have these problems. You cannot solve a problem by covering it, appeasing them only works for a short while.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by alahamad(m): 11:00am On May 23, 2012
At dis point...I really wish I could cut all ties between me nd that cursed country called Nigeria.....

And to think we boast of being the giant of Africa with the best land soldiers in West Africa.....

Chai..Abasi Nbok Ooº°˚ ..I cry in calabar tone...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by gidiMonsta(m): 11:05am On May 23, 2012
Good move by the FG, fackin imperialist war mongers. This silly republicans sha, they have not learnt from the somalia debacle where they ended up making Al-shabab more powerful than even Al-Qaeda. Tagging BH a terror group will be followed by some nasty moves that will only make matters worse. My 2cents

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by Kockane(m): 11:08am On May 23, 2012
Let's call a spade a spade jor! When you mention Boko Haram, d only tots dat come to mind are: terrorists, animals, islamists, hausas, killers. Tell me why dey shdnt be labelled as such?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by omofem: 11:13am On May 23, 2012
What is d usefulnes of boko haram
Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by BlueMurder(m): 11:13am On May 23, 2012

Your hate for Buhari has seared the left side of your brain! Unreasonable hate induces HBP. Watch it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by lacasa: 11:15am On May 23, 2012
emmysenior: Clearly, this hv shown that, there's a linkage btw d fed. govt n d sect. Bleep em all...

Your intelligent Sir

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by johnson11(m): 11:18am On May 23, 2012
''Ambassador Adefuye in his defence of government’s action, said he feared the likelihood of Nigerians being opened to all kinds of harassments at international airports once such a designation comes from the U.S., including intensive and intrusive body searches.

The envoy said the government would on its own contain the Boko Haram menace as it did in quelling the militancy in the Niger Delta''

I agree to disagree the FG never contain the militant in Niger delta rather they went solo just because it is there son who is in power,once Ebele lose it either election or coup una go see militant back in full like wise if an Hausa/falani man take over boko haram will go solo too

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by Eazeee(m): 11:19am On May 23, 2012
weda local or international boko are rams is a terrrorist group u guys cant deny dat. so because of ur visas we shud refer a terrorist group an NGO abi? boko is pdp & pdp is boko

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by Almaiga: 11:22am On May 23, 2012
Opoki: See US department of State ooo. Dey want Boko Haram to be named international Terror so that they can set-up Armours, Personnels, Intelligence Unit's & co in our obodo Nigeria just like they did is the middle east. I might be wrong but i think this is definately what they're up to.
Spirit of Okija:

exactly my thought, When they name bk on international terror list, they'll move in and set up there millitary camps here and there. The u.s wanted to set up there millitary camp in naija in the past but they did not succeed. This to them is the opportunity they've been waiting for. Kudos to the govt.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by Nobody: 11:27am On May 23, 2012
emmysenior: Clearly, this hv shown that, there's a linkage btw d fed. govt n d sect. Bleep em all...

That may not be the case. As much as I dislike the PDP general ideology, it is a smart move by the president. If BH is labelled a terrorist group like Taliban then Nigeria may be up for a UN invasion. Remember drones don't know your ethnicity. Besides the CIA can stage series of bombings in the South - South and blame it on BH, that means in case of invasion to flush out BH all parts of the country may be occupied.

If you think its impossible check out the latest confession by thesame world media that demonised Gaddafi for sponsoring lockerbie bombing. They have now come out recently to say it was Iran's retaliation for America's bombing of her civilian plane. They now say the US know all the while but then there must be somebody to blame and Libya was a perfect candidate. So to invade Nigeria BH would be a perfect excuse.

Good move by the FG

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Opposes U.S. Bid To Tag Boko Haram As Terror Group by sashaa(f): 11:30am On May 23, 2012

does this mean that you value your image more than the innocent lives that are continously being lost as a result of this 'terror group' ?
Smh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ondo Elections: Pastor Tunde Bakare Prophesies Mimiko as Winner Oct 20 Poll, / Lagos Belongs To Every Nigerian / PRP Party Merges With APC In Abia. Set To Remove Ikpeazu Of PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.