Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,625 members, 7,770,673 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:47 PM

Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining (6091 Views)

"Nigeria Finally Plays Into The Grand Strategy Of Biafrans" - Vanguard / Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant / Nigeria Finally Concedes Bakassi To Cameroon: Ahead Of Tuesday's Broadcast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by edoyad(m): 8:44am On May 24, 2012
VENTURES AFRICA – Nigeria’s Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Musa Sada, has revealed plans to bolster the country’s electricity generation capacity with coal, a local business daily has reported.

The minister made the disclosure during opening Zuma Coal Mines in Okobo, Kogi State in the Central region of Nigeria.

Sada said that the plan was to make sure that the country did not rely on one source to provide electricity; he said this has become necessary to prevent disappointment when shortage of gas and water occurs.

Chairman of Zuma Group, Innocent Ezuma said that the company has a reserve of of about 380 million tonnes of coal. Ezuma confirmed the minister’s optimism by declaring that within next 18 months; the company would be able to establish a reserve of two billion tonnes.

“Today, we are experiencing a lot of scarcity in water and gas. Our water levels have drastically reduced,” he said.

Ezuma also opined that in other counter challenges to Nigeria’s energy security, there is need “to introduce coal to the energy mix.”

Epileptic power supply has been a thorn in the flesh of economic activities in Africa’s 2nd largest economy for years, with projects and blueprints drawn up and abandoned severally.

Earlier this month, the Federal Government of Nigeria took a firm step at resolving the perennial crisis in the power sector when it signed an agreement with Siemens Limited Nigeria to support the power sector revolution through a range of power solutions and financing options

http://www.ventures-africa.com/2012/05/nigeria-fg-explores-powering-electricity-with-coal/
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by nduchucks: 9:05am On May 24, 2012
Coal ko? We have enough natural gas, a substantial quantity which is burning away as waste, yet they want to start using coal fired electric generation plants. I suppose the CO, SO2, and other resulting air pollutants which are by products of such plants will be cleaned up instead of allowing them to substantially increase health risks and depletion of the ozone layer risks.
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by edoyad(m): 10:19am On May 24, 2012
ndu_chucks: Coal ko? We have enough natural gas, a substantial quantity which is burning away as waste, yet they want to start using coal fired electric generation plants. I suppose the CO, SO2, and other resulting air pollutants which are by products of such plants will be cleaned up instead of allowing them to substantially increase health risks and depletion of the ozone layer risks.

Nigeria's Industrial Carbon Footprint is just a dot compared to any average Industrial country, not to mention Super Powers. Don't let these people deceive you, even if we quadrupled our emission levels we would not be remotely near Western levels. Yes the Ideal situation would be to focus on gas but Coal is cheap and available for now. It would create Jobs and help states like kogi generate much needed revenue. The Countries telling you to Shun Coal Still have massive Coal mines and Coal power Stations

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by nduchucks: 10:32am On May 24, 2012
edoyad:

Nigeria's Industrial Carbon Footprint is just a dot compared to any average Industrial country, not to mention Super Powers. Don't let these people deceive you, even if we quadrupled our emission levels we would not be remotely near Western levels. Yes the Ideal situation would be to focus on gas but Coal is cheap and available for now. It would create Jobs and help states like kogi generate much needed revenue. The Countries telling you to Shun Coal Still have massive Coal mines and Coal power Stations

When the small emission level gives one of your relatives cancer, you'll have a rethink. Why can't this government invest in natural gas which we have in abundance and transport them by rail/pipeline, and use storage facilities in key locations thereby making them readily available to gas fired plants?

There are other ways to create jobs than coal mining. A small refinery in Kogi state would be a better investment in my opinion. (costs less than $1billion like the one being built in Anambra)
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by edoyad(m): 11:05am On May 24, 2012
ndu_chucks:

When the small emission level gives one of your relatives cancer, you'll have a rethink. Why can't this government invest in natural gas which we have in abundance and transport them by rail/pipeline, and use storage facilities in key locations thereby making them readily available to gas fired plants?

There are other ways to create jobs than coal mining. A small refinery in Kogi state would be a better investment in my opinion. (costs less than $1billion like the one being built in Anambra)

Can you hear yourself? You're saying we should continue depending on a sector we actually trying to stop being heavily dependent on for everything.
All these talks about Gas this and Gas that are things I've been hearing since I was a child and nothing has become of it.. I'm. sorry to say that Nigeria's petroleum sector is one of the most Corrupt entities on this Planet, and any hopes of anything coming t of there in the immediate future is a tall dream.
This is an opportunity to diversify our revenue base and I hopwe see a fast paced growth.
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by sylve11: 12:59pm On May 24, 2012
Since it's a government stuff i don't see it doing well. cool
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by Nobody: 1:03pm On May 24, 2012
please NL, stop with the misleading titles. . PLANS is not the same thing as RESUMES
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by Piyke: 1:08pm On May 24, 2012
edoyad:

Supported 100%!!! the US, UK, China etc all have coal powered energy stations. Although natural gas is cleaner, i still support diversifying our power supply. Some coal powered stations still exist in the country so I dont see anything wrong in getting them back online since while we still invest in natural gas. Because I tell Nigeria will need loads of power, tons of it when they finally sort out the power sector and all the big industries running on generators start plugging into the national grid
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by Piyke: 1:12pm On May 24, 2012
musKeeto: please NL, stop with the misleading titles. . PLANS is not the same thing as RESUMES

I believe the part in bold answers your question. The mine has been re-opened.

edoyad:
VENTURES AFRICA – Nigeria’s Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Musa Sada, has revealed plans to bolster the country’s electricity generation capacity with coal, a local business daily has reported.

The minister made the disclosure during opening Zuma Coal Mines in Okobo, Kogi State in the Central region of Nigeria.

Sada said that the plan was to make sure that the country did not rely on one source to provide electricity; he said this has become necessary to prevent disappointment when shortage of gas and water occurs.

Chairman of Zuma Group, Innocent Ezuma said that the company has a reserve of of about 380 million tonnes of coal. Ezuma confirmed the minister’s optimism by declaring that within next 18 months; the company would be able to establish a reserve of two billion tonnes.

“Today, we are experiencing a lot of scarcity in water and gas. Our water levels have drastically reduced,” he said.

Ezuma also opined that in other counter challenges to Nigeria’s energy security, there is need “to introduce coal to the energy mix.”

Epileptic power supply has been a thorn in the flesh of economic activities in Africa’s 2nd largest economy for years, with projects and blueprints drawn up and abandoned severally.

Earlier this month, the Federal Government of Nigeria took a firm step at resolving the perennial crisis in the power sector when it signed an agreement with Siemens Limited Nigeria to support the power sector revolution through a range of power solutions and financing options

http://www.ventures-africa.com/2012/05/nigeria-fg-explores-powering-electricity-with-coal/
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by daywatcher: 1:39pm On May 24, 2012
ndu_chucks: Coal ko? We have enough natural gas, a substantial quantity which is burning away as waste, yet they want to start using coal fired electric generation plants. I suppose the CO, SO2, and other resulting air pollutants which are by products of such plants will be cleaned up instead of allowing them to substantially increase health risks and depletion of the ozone layer risks.

Whether it is coal, oil, gas, solar, wind or water,I do not care so long as there is light. Even self, the more they diversify the better.
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by Nobody: 2:06pm On May 24, 2012
Can someone give us a comparative analysis to clearly show, in numbers, the cost of generating power with coal vis-a-vis natural gas? It will help us analyse this issue better (And please don't give us figures from America, this is Nigeria we're talking about).
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 24, 2012
To address the issue, I think its crucial for our long-term energy security for us to have a decentralised and diversified power sector. The first world nations have been very hypocritical with this greenhouse issues. The US is still the world's largest emitter, despite all the noise being made about climate change.
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by edoyad(m): 3:15pm On May 24, 2012
HNosegbe: To address the issue, I think its crucial for our long-term energy security for us to have a decentralised and diversified power sector. The first world nations have been very hypocritical with this greenhouse issues The US is still the world's largest emitter, despite all the noise being made about climate change
Help me tell am
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 24, 2012
Nice
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by amosy007: 3:51pm On May 24, 2012

do we have to always put everytin on gas sector... Since we v being shouting gas does it improve the power ?

I dnt care if they generate eletricity from horse dung... All i want is 24/7 electricity... Fhuck d gas
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by nduchucks: 4:22pm On May 24, 2012
sylve11: Since it's a government stuff i don't see it doing well. cool

This is one of the the kokos of the matter.
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by ZUBY77(m): 5:30pm On May 24, 2012
What happens to the coal deposit in Enugu?
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by homerac7: 5:31pm On May 24, 2012
HNosegbe: Can someone give us a comparative analysis to clearly show, in numbers, the cost of generating power with coal vis-a-vis natural gas? It will help us analyse this issue better (And please don't give us figures from America, this is Nigeria we're talking about).

As at 2010, production costs is ~N6.24k per KW for coal against ~N15.60 for natural gas.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by niyitogun(m): 6:24pm On May 24, 2012
edoyad:

Wow!, thank God atleast we are going to diversify now...always said coal was our best bet towards provison of stable electricity since it is one of the resources abundantly availabe...over 70% of the U.K's electricity is generated using coal which they basically import...however we have this and can mine it ourselves....this is def a step in the positive direction
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by mobbi06(m): 6:30pm On May 24, 2012
In my opinion this offers a very solid solution to Nigeria's energy problems. we are all talking about natural gas but what we do not realize is that focusing our attention on natural gas creates a path dependence which will be difficult to overcome in the long run,thus reducing our options and ability to respond to market risks and volatility.
Similarly, by focusing on natural gas only, we are inadvertently creating an undiversified energy sector and given that natural gas prices and supply tends to follow that of oil, and that electricity is characterized by volatility, we will be exposing ourselves to price shocks and supply disruptions; the increasing the volatility in the system.
As someone rightly pointed out, Nigeria's carbon footprint is inconsequential when compared to other countries like the US, UK, China, and even Germany so in my opinion we can afford a coal plant or two. This is even more important when we consider the fact that coal offers cheap affordable electricity, and the retrofits (like filters, scrubbers, flue-beds) that can help reduce the Nitrous, sulphur and mercury pollutants that coal generates.
Also, there are unconventional technologies like the Integrated Gasification Combined cycle (IGCC) which turns coal into gas by synthesis (Syngas), removes the impurities, and allows the combustion of clean natural gas obtained from the coal.
Nigeria as a signatory to the Kyoto protocol can take advantage of the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) program, that is available to developing countries who are part of the Kyoto protocol, to bring such unconventional coal tehnologies to the country.
If we have the property strategy and regulatory approach, we can make it work...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by iammodel(m): 7:32pm On May 24, 2012
mobbi_06: In my opinion this offers a very solid solution to Nigeria's energy problems. we are all talking about natural gas but what we do not realize is that focusing our attention on natural gas creates a path dependence which will be difficult to overcome in the long run,thus reducing our options and ability to respond to market risks and volatility.
Similarly, by focusing on natural gas only, we are inadvertently creating an undiversified energy sector and given that natural gas prices and supply tends to follow that of oil, and that electricity is characterized by volatility, we will be exposing ourselves to price shocks and supply disruptions; the increasing the volatility in the system.
As someone rightly pointed out, Nigeria's carbon footprint is inconsequential when compared to other countries like the US, UK, China, and even Germany so in my opinion we can afford a coal plant or two. This is even more important when we consider the fact that coal offers cheap affordable electricity, and the retrofits (like filters, scrubbers, flue-beds) that can help reduce the Nitrous, sulphur and mercury pollutants that coal generates.
Also, there are unconventional technologies like the Integrated Gasification Combined cycle (IGCC) which turns coal into gas by synthesis (Syngas), removes the impurities, and allows the combustion of clean natural gas obtained from the coal.
Nigeria as a signatory to the Kyoto protocol can take advantage of the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) program, that is available to developing countries who are part of the Kyoto protocol, to bring such unconventional coal tehnologies to the country.
If we have the property strategy and regulatory approach, we can make it work...
You just spoke my mind 100% (especially d aspect dat has to do with d conversion: aspect of biotechnology). Thanks for saving me the stress of typing.
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by mandsignal(m): 10:25pm On May 24, 2012
edoyad:

Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by mandsignal(m): 10:25pm On May 24, 2012
edoyad:

Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by Maranzano(m): 11:55pm On May 24, 2012
Energy from Coal will suppliment the current hydroelectricity and the expected addition from the gas plants.However we should not shout eureka yet untill power generation improves as a result of the "proposed" resumption of comercial coal mining.The Chinese and Indians are highly interested in Nigerian coal to meet their insatiable energy needs.They are relying on advanced mining technologies to work their coal mines which are often associated with methane gas explotion. They need safer and cheaper energy sources and if the grade of our coal is right, these coal briquettes might be on their way to Asian furnace. The Energy sector in Nigeria is so viable that if appropriate legislation put in place and there is relative peace to ensure the security of investment, genuine investors will invest in Nigerian coal for local power generation.
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by ektbear: 12:02am On May 25, 2012
Edoyad has (mostly) hit the nail on the head.
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by McISRAEL(m): 6:04am On May 26, 2012
Nice move
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by zincleadore: 12:43pm On Aug 20, 2013
Piyke:

Supported 100%!!! the US, UK, China etc all have coal powered energy stations. Although natural gas is cleaner, i still support diversifying our power supply. Some coal powered stations still exist in the country so I dont see anything wrong in getting them back online since while we still invest in natural gas. Because I tell Nigeria will need loads of power, tons of it when they finally sort out the power sector and all the big industries running on generators start plugging into the national grid

We are suppliers of Coal Ore. We have been in production in last 5yrs. We have met or exceeded MOU/Contracts. We supply FOB EXW NIGERIA. Contact Mr. Ayo zincleadore@Aol.com . Thank you
Re: Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining by DisGuy: 11:09pm On Jan 09, 2014
how far

(1) (Reply)

Error Found On Nigerian Naira / BREAKING: Men In Military Uniform Break Into Ateke Tom's Palace In Rivers / Mark My Words, War Will Soon Break Out In Nigeria--obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.