Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,005 members, 7,835,408 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate (1207 Views)

3 Tell-tale Signs You Should Reject A Job Offer / Please Advice Me On Which Job Offer To Choose / An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by bigcycs: 12:04pm On May 28, 2012
I am making an unconventional offer for a vacant managarial position in my family business

My dad owns about 100 acres of already planted and yielding oil palm estate, this estate is situated at EKORI,YAKURR LGA CROSS RIVER STATE.my village!!

Challenges:

Over the years in the course of exploiting this business my dad has had to cope with a lot of challenges ranging from lack of workers/incompetent workers/theft by locals/workers etc
and as a private individual with no governmet assisted grants etc it has been really challenging using our not so efficient extractive techniques,coupled with the dearth of dedicated workers/manager and our losses have continued to increase.

-we've never really had a proper arrangement where we have workers dedicated to work with us to achieve our goals.and when we manage to get workers..the person managing the business fails to give them the right motivation and they end up stealing and running away abandoning the business.we have had workers come and go many more times than i care to remember and the break in continuity is bad for our business.

This challenges notwithstanding this farm rakes in a very handsome profit still as we make @ lease 2000rubbers of fresh palm oil monthly and judging from the current price of the commodity i can say the figure is encouraging .this leaves for the imagination what we can generate if we have the right individual in charge..

-i dont need to underscore the
profitability of this venture its a massive farm and we have not even started exploting kernell etc.

.Recent developments:
currently my dad whom by Gods grace is now very active in government is making major procurements through world bank assisted loans. We intend to expand our mill,improve our production by introducing latest technology,we intend to commence crushing kernell and this is a mid-term goal as the long term goal remains refining our produce to finished/packaged goods fit for consumption.

I am a petroleum engineer and cannot be around now to play a role in our family business as my dad discourages this. We seem to agree that its best i "chase my career" and be seen to have conquered in my chosen endeavour hence!

I am making an offer for someone who understands what is needed now and is willing to take up the challenge.
There is no minimum qualification here specified.
Its a farm with potential. We are turning the business around and i know with the right individual who can key into our vision and play the desired role..i believe prosperity will know no bounds.

In summary:
the advert is for a business set in a rural community a village in cross river state.the possible manager will be required to adapt to rural life settings which the average person out there may not find desirable.

Akam ekombe nig ltd is not a big company but a medium scale enterprise with potentials of expanding into a large scale industry.

You will be required to manage the whole farm spanning about 100acres of yielding oil palm and you must be able to do this profitably and efficiently.
While our profits are rather attractive,the would be manager will be expected to partake ,somewhat, in the extractive process using our current equipments pending when our procurements process for modern equipment pans out.

Honesty is the most important clause here .i neednt say more
You will be required to manage rather local/illiterate work force on ground as well as assist the company recruit more staff.
You will be required to manage our resources such that we reduce losses due to wastage/theft to the barest minimum..(Our biggest problem now)

If you are willing to accept these challenges..subsequent discussions will be held with you and the proprietor my dad where salaries accomodations as well as any other incentives will be discussed.
You will be required to make time to visit the proprietor in calabar to have this discussions .

I will appreciate it if interested persons contact me on

thisisikoi@hotmail.com

The offer remains open till the right person takes up the vacant managerial position
Re: An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by PalmTree(m): 8:29pm On May 28, 2012
Are you sure of what you are saying? Or you are just trying to gain fame on N/L? If your claims are true then why dont you save yourself this stress? Just put out a vacancy and let people apply, then you can select the most qualified using standard proccedures. Let me know if you find my post helpful then perhaps we can work something out... I'm not qualified for the job though grin
Re: An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by bigcycs: 8:14am On May 29, 2012
PalmTree: Are you sure of what you are saying? Or you are just trying to gain fame on N/L? If your claims are true then why dont you save yourself this stress? Just put out a vacancy and let people apply, then you can select the most qualified using standard proccedures. Let me know if you find my post helpful then perhaps we can work something out... I'm not qualified for the job though grin

First i am not seeking fame on NL as i fail to see how fame on NL is beneficial to my existence.

I believe i stated its an unconventional offer. This business has not risen to the stage where we would carry our recruitment processes as the big companies do.
Its my family business and i appreciate the need for a proper manager and i decided to throw it open to nairalanders. i wont exactly say your post has been helpful but i am willing to know what we can work out as u said.
Re: An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by bigcycs: 8:18am On May 29, 2012
shedrackijeabom: do you sel palm fruits? i buy palm fruit and mil it myself in delta state. If you do kindly reach me on 08031968681

We do not sell palm fruits. We harvest several thousand bunches and mill same in our mill.we intend to "upgrade" our techniques by introducing up-to-date technology and i realise if we dont have the right individual managing our farms.our efforts may be futile.

We need a manager and workers and if you can assist me with those.i'll appreciate
Re: An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by PalmTree(m): 10:00am On May 29, 2012
bigcycs:

First i am not seeking fame on NL as i fail to see how fame on NL is beneficial to my existence.

I believe i stated its an unconventional offer. This business has not risen to the stage where we would carry our recruitment processes as the big companies do.
Its my family business and i appreciate the need for a proper manager and i decided to throw it open to nairalanders. i wont exactly say your post has been helpful but i am willing to know what we can work out as u said.

Apologies for my assumptions... There are so many fake people/vacancies arround these days. grin
Now that we know you actually need the workers, you will still have to subscribe to some of the ideas in my previous post.
1. I did not imply that you go through the proccedures as do other big coys but you can still make a selection for a far lesser cost. For starters, you could just as easily post the vacancy on NL using your email addy for correspondence. Trust me you'll get enough response from qualified/experienced applicants. You may also try other job search blogs.
2. Go through the mails recieved with a pressumed parameter in mind for your 'standard' selection ( I'm assuming you have an idea of the right person for the job) pls lay more emphasis on experience in a similar outfit as you may not be able to afford training costs/time.
The nos 1&2 above depend on the time and energy you can devote to d process.
3. The interview stage... When we get to that brigde.. We go cross am.
I'm sure that you are probably wondering why I have said all these despite reading your OP, anyways I'm of the opinion that the condition of the outfit should not be disclosed until when you av shortlisted the most suitable candidates. Then you can test their overall ability by asking them how they intend to run the outfit considering its present state. Lastly your father is right you gotta conquer your carreer man!
Once again, I'm sorry for my previous assumption.
Re: An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by bigcycs: 4:33pm On May 29, 2012
PalmTree:

Apologies for my assumptions... There are so many fake people/vacancies arround these days. grin
Now that we know you actually need the workers, you will still have to subscribe to some of the ideas in my previous post.
1. I did not imply that you go through the proccedures as do other big coys but you can still make a selection for a far lesser cost. For starters, you could just as easily post the vacancy on NL using your email addy for correspondence. Trust me you'll get enough response from qualified/experienced applicants. You may also try other job search blogs.
2. Go through the mails recieved with a pressumed parameter in mind for your 'standard' selection ( I'm assuming you have an idea of the right person for the job) pls lay more emphasis on experience in a similar outfit as you may not be able to afford training costs/time.
The nos 1&2 above depend on the time and energy you can devote to d process.
3. The interview stage... When we get to that brigde.. We go cross am.
I'm sure that you are probably wondering why I have said all these despite reading your OP, anyways I'm of the opinion that the condition of the outfit should not be disclosed until when you av shortlisted the most suitable candidates. Then you can test their overall ability by asking them how they intend to run the outfit considering its present state. Lastly your father is right you gotta conquer your carreer man!

No pawn taken!!
To the best of my understanding i have already complied with your point number 1..my ad is thread in the "jobs" section on "nairaland" containing my email/mobile number for correspondence!! See we are at par as far as dat is concerned.

And i have to say i have received a couple of enthusiastic respnses from intrested NLnders..i just might be getting close to finding me a manager yet..

O and on the experience part.i think you are right.i'll keep that in mind,i'll be better off with someone who already knows his way around an oil palm mill.

I appreciate your points..they have helped me re-allign the whole process.i have an interview with an interested applicant..

Thanks again
Re: An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by 1forall: 12:35am On May 30, 2012
PalmTree:

I do not subscribe to the idea of keeping employment details secret (as in bold above). It is a poor HR practice because potential employees are better off knowing what they are applying to - it helps in the preparation of an appropriate application. Also providing such information helps reduce the number of unqualified applications the employer has to deal with e.g in this case, candidates who are not interested in working on a farm in CR state will know ahead and not bother to apply.

It's the horrible state of our labor market (high unemployment) that has encouraged such negative practice to become the norm. One result of this is the creation of an 'unemployment industry' where people now publicize spurious job vacancies with little information with the intention to scam unsuspecting candidates.

The original poster's approach is therefore ideal and is the approach encouraged here on NL.

bigcycs: Please inform us here when you have filled your vacancy, thanks.

This comment is not intended to rubbish the quoted user's input in any way.

1 Like

Re: An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by PalmTree(m): 2:35am On May 30, 2012
1forall:

I do not subscribe to the idea of keeping employment details secret (as in bold above). It is a poor HR practice because potential employees are better off knowing what they are applying to - it helps in the preparation of an appropriate application. Also providing such information helps reduce the number of unqualified applications the employer has to deal with e.g in this case, candidates who are not interested in working on a farm in CR state will know ahead and not bother to apply.
It's the horrible state of our labor market (high unemployment) that has encouraged such negative practice to become the norm. One result of this is the creation of an 'unemployment industry' where people now publicize spurious job vacancies with little information with the intention to scam unsuspecting candidates.

The original poster's approach is therefore ideal and is the approach encouraged here on NL.

bigcycs: Please inform us here when you have filled your vacancy, thanks.

This comment is not intended to rubbish the quoted user's input in any way.

I get your point but you quoted me out of context.
Re: An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by 1forall: 1:53pm On May 30, 2012
^
Oh, well, please go ahead and explain to us how you have been may quoted out of context. We would really like to read your clarification.
Re: An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by PalmTree(m): 8:33pm On May 30, 2012
1forall: ^
Oh, well, please go ahead and explain to us how you have been may quoted out of context. We would really like to read your clarification.

Please dont make this seem like an argument, all I did was to offer the OP an advice which I think he found useful. If the advice conflicts with what you like/want on Nairaland fine! You are a Mod and you have given your opinion.
Now, in my opinion the OP dished out lengthy details of the farm when he could have given less probably just the location, present production volume e.t.c also the lengthy details doesn't guarantee that unqualified and gory applicants won't still apply. Much will be done during the OP and Applicant's survey of the farm (note that this is not a conventional vacancy)
From my previous post, I laid some emphasis on experience because any anyone with vast knowledge in oil palm farming would be able to tackle the farms problem.
Lastly, this my opinion and you don't have to subscribe to it. Thank you.
Re: An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by bigcycs: 6:10am On May 31, 2012
I appreciate in-puts from both parties but i will have to agree with the MOD and i have reasons.i had an application from a lady in lagos and from her CV it was apparent to me she hoped to manage a "modern firm" with offices etc.
I quickly gave her details of the whole farm and well..your guess is as good as mine.

That was when i decided to elaborate on the current state of the farm just as a primary "screening" process and its working.right now i have a very interested applicant and a couple others.

I'll hint the house when i give the job out to the succesful individual.

@ all thanks for inputs
Re: An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by 1forall: 9:52am On May 31, 2012
You're welcome, good luck cheesy
Re: An Extraodinary Job Offer To Manage A 100acre Oil Palm Estate by PalmTree(m): 10:45am On May 31, 2012
Ok

(1) (Reply)

Crystalfix Nig. Ltd (telecommunication) / Help In Writing A C.V / Tajshad Company Migeria Limited (wazobia Mart)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.