Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? (10992 Views)

Meet The Ofoni People Of Bayelsa, The Only Urhobo Tribe In Bayelsa / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:11pm On May 29, 2012
Everyday we hear about Yorubas claiming descent from Makkah in Saudi Arabia, Igbos claiming descent from Jews of Israel, Hausa claiming descent from Baghdad (Iraq), kanuri came from Yemen, etc.

[size=32pt]So who is actually from NIGERIA[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by cantell(m): 1:15pm On May 29, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
Everyday we hear about Yorubas claiming descent from Makkah in Saudi Arabia, Igbos claiming descent from Jews of Israel, Hausa claiming descent from Baghdad (Iraq), kanuri came from Yemen, etc.

Me?

3 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Afam4eva(m): 12:33am On May 30, 2012
All tribes are from Nigeria. At least they were all here when Nigeria started existing in 1914.

8 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by yusufbaba(m): 3:10pm On May 31, 2012
afam4eva: All tribes are from Nigeria. At least they were all here when Nigeria started existing in 1914.
you said it all

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by ghostofsparta(m): 1:53am On Jun 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

CORRECTION

It is only a heavily islamized Yoruba that will accept and believe his/her race migrated from Saudi Arabia. A true pagan Yoruba knows about our true origin as professes in Ifa.

8 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Nobody: 1:55am On Jun 19, 2012
What a question.

No one.
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Nobody: 1:56am On Jun 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Yoruba NEVER laid a claim on Saudi Arabia. One poster created a thread, now it's all Yorubas? Olorun e gba mi o.

3 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by ghostofsparta(m): 2:21am On Jun 19, 2012
@Ileke Idi

There are certain elements in Yorubaland who have long been disseminating the 'ruse' that the Yoruba race migrated from Saudi Arabia. This ruse are continuously are mostly fed to hundred of thousands of Yoruba kids, youths in Islamic schools (Ile Kewu) by Alfas and Imams just to justify their the strong Islamic connection to Yorubaland. Little do these innocent victims of Islamic indoctrinations knows that Islam is the no.1 enemy of the Odua race. Arabs instigated wars among the Yorubas, captured and marched slaves to various Islamic world...just like Arabs till today still deal in black slaves in Mauritania. Arabs and Islam is the no.1 of the Yoruba people. Of the two beasts that devastated Africa for 4centuries, the Arabs were the most vicious.

5 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by anonymous6(f): 2:24am On Jun 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

I never heard of Yoruba claiming saudi Arabia, where did that come from but I have heard of the Egyptian claim though but one thing's for sure is they were there on the land we know as Nigeria before Nigeria ever existed as a country and it is said they descended from the Nok: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Nobody: 5:01am On Jun 19, 2012
ghostofsparta: @Ileke Idi

There are certain elements in Yorubaland who have long been disseminating the 'ruse' that the Yoruba race migrated from Saudi Arabia. This ruse are continuously are mostly fed to hundred of thousands of Yoruba kids, youths in Islamic schools (Ile Kewu) by Alfas and Imams just to justify their the strong Islamic connection to Yorubaland. Little do these innocent victims of Islamic indoctrinations knows that Islam is the no.1 enemy of the Odua race. Arabs instigated wars among the Yorubas, captured and marched slaves to various Islamic world...just like Arabs till today still deal in black slaves in Mauritania. Arabs and Islam is the no.1 of the Yoruba people. Of the two beasts that devastated Africa for 4centuries, the Arabs were the most vicious.

Stop that!

Never heard of it before i came on nL. where are you ppl hearing this fairy tales from? We're not like the Igbos who want to claim white heritage abeg. We know who we are, we know our history and we're hopeful of our future. Yorubas in Benin, Togo and Nigeria were here loooooooooooong before this cesspits called Nigeria was even dreamed about.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by ghostofsparta(m): 10:24am On Jun 20, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Stop that!

Never heard of it before i came on nL. where are you ppl hearing this fairy tales from? We're not like the Igbos who want to claim white heritage abeg. We know who we are, we know our history and we're hopeful of our future. Yorubas in Benin, Togo and Nigeria were here loooooooooooong before this cesspits called Nigeria was even dreamed about.

Stop what? My comments doesn't say I accept it. I am just informing you about the dissemination of a false origin of the Yorubas taught in schools.

Okay...what is the Yoruba view of their cosmogony?

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 20, 2012
ghostofsparta:

Stop what? My comments doesn't say I accept it. I am just informing you about the dissemination of a false origin of the Yorubas taught in schools.

Okay...what is the Yoruba view of their cosmogony?

One that does not entertain the origin of Saudi.

Our history, be it myth and history, does not support these false claims.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by odumchi: 5:46pm On Jun 20, 2012
Personally, I don't believe in any of these Egyptian/Ethiopian/Hebrew ancestry theories. Nok seems more probable.

7 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by bright007(f): 11:48pm On Jun 20, 2012
D̶̲̥̅̊
ọ̥
u mean d yorubas?I read they originated from oduduwa,who fell from d sky.
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by ghostofsparta(m): 1:10am On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

One that does not entertain the origin of Saudi.

Our history, be it myth and history, does not suppor these false claims.

Therefore your argument precludes Adam and Eve!!!
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Nobody: 2:18am On Jun 21, 2012
ghostofsparta:

Therefore your argument precludes Adam and Eve!!!

Our history and religion does not support Christianity either, if you want to get technical et al.

4 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by ghostofsparta(m): 8:06am On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Our history and religion does not support Christianity either, if you want to get technical et al.

Technical ke! What is technical about offering you the option of a widely accepted theological fabrication; the semitic 'First Parent' - Adam and Eve...which appeals to a lot of modern Yoruba christians and the Saudi origin to the Yoruba muslims.

Ileke, there are several sources concerning the origin of the Yorubas:

The Odudua Strain
The Adam and Eve Fallacy
The Saudi Arabia Myth

I'd like to know which of the above would you rather give a bit of credence to if not much?

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Fulaman198(m): 3:18pm On Jun 21, 2012
I don't like using the word tribes because it denotes something that is incorrect. We are ethnic groups. That said, I think most ethnic groups are from Nigeria or nearby countries. None are from the middle East like Nigerians like to say.

For example, my ethnic group are originally from Senegambia. But it is still in West Africa, Hausa I think are from various areas (Chad, Niger, Sudan, Nigeria) I think their territory covered a huge area pre-colonization like the Fulani. I believe all blacks though from West Africa are from Sudan but I could be wrong, it is what I heard.

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 21, 2012
ghostofsparta:

Technical ke! What is technical about offering you the option of a widely accepted theological fabrication; the semitic 'First Parent' - Adam and Eve...which appeals to a lot of modern Yoruba christians and the Saudi origin to the Yoruba muslims.

Ileke, there are several sources concerning the origin of the Yorubas:

The Odudua Strain
The Adam and Eve Fallacy
The Saudi Arabia Myth

I'd like to know which of the above would you rather give a bit of credence to if not much?

stop pulling false information out of nowhere.

Which historical evidence can you put forth to support the Saudia Arabia origin? And your source needs to be legit.

Everyone originated from Adam/Eve.
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by tpia5: 6:18pm On Jun 21, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

So who is actually from NIGERIA

everybody came from somewhere.

no biggie.

what's so far fetched about semitic influences in culture?

if you have any evidence there are no indigenous black people native to the middle east (sudan through through the current region known by that name), then post it.

as for who was in nigeria milleniums ago- why dont you tell us since you posed the question.
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by odumchi: 6:59pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

This pure Western-oriented thinking. About half the world does not believe in Adam and Eve, you know.

6 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Fulaman198(m): 7:00pm On Jun 21, 2012
I don't agree that any of us are of Middle Eastern origin, Africans came before Middle Easterners

4 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 21, 2012
odumchi:

This pure Western-oriented thinking. About half the world does not believe in Adam and Eve, you know.

Well everyone comes from a "conceptualized" Adam and Eve.
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by odumchi: 7:05pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Well, if you put it that way, then yes.
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Fulaman198(m): 7:05pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

scientists say that Adam and Eve came from Southern Africa

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by tpia5: 7:20pm On Jun 21, 2012
Fulaman198: I don't agree that any of us are of Middle Eastern origin, Africans came before Middle Easterners

middle east is a modern term.

same way nigeria was coined within recent memory.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by ghostofsparta(m): 7:26pm On Jun 21, 2012
I don't quite get you

You said:

Ileke-IdI:

And here you contradicted yourself by saying:

Ileke-IdI:

stop pulling false information out of nowhere.

Which historical evidence can you put forth to support the Saudia Arabia origin? And your source needs to be legit.

So you prefer the Adam and Eve fallacy to Oodua been the primogeniture of the Yoruba race??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by ghostofsparta(m): 7:29pm On Jun 21, 2012
bright007: D̶̲̥̅̊
ọ̥
u mean d yorubas?I read they originated from oduduwa,who fell from d sky.

Because you dont understand something doesn't give you the right to parodize it.

IFA says: Odudua atewon ro i.e. it that descended through a mystical chain. Odudua didn't FELL like those 'fallen angel' you have in semitic religion

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by odumchi: 7:30pm On Jun 21, 2012
Fulaman198: I don't agree that any of us are of Middle Eastern origin, Africans came before Middle Easterners

Exactly. However, the sad part is that some of our cultural leaders are beginning to buy into these absurd theories of Middle-Eastern origin.

I think that most southern Nigerian groups branched out of a single ancestral ethnic group. I came about this theory by analyzing the population of certain groups. For example, a hundred years ago, the Igbo were about five million in population; today they are around forty million. If a mere hundred years meant a growth of thirty five miillion then what could have been our population two thousand years ago? Certainly too negligible to form an independent social group.

The Nri Kingdom (which was the first recorded kingdom in southern Nigeria and the first Igbo state) was founded sometime around the year 900 ce and it is given credit (by some) as the "father of the Igbo". This means that the peoples that identify themselves as the Igbo are only a bit older than a thousand years.

This has led me to conclude that a millenia ago, we were probably all members of a larger ethnic group that settled in central Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jun 21, 2012
ghostofsparta: I don't quite get you

You said:

And here you contradicted yourself by saying:

So you prefer the Adam and Eve fallacy to Oodua been the primogeniture of the Yoruba race??

I already corrected it, woman.

Check the posts after that.

Every culture has a conceptualized Adam/Eve.

I asked you to bring forth your Source about Saudia Arabia and Yoruba correlation. Where is it?
Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by Fulaman198(m): 7:49pm On Jun 21, 2012
odumchi:

Exactly. However, the sad part is that some of our cultural leaders are beginning to buy into these absurd theories of Middle-Eastern origin.

I think that most southern Nigerian groups branched out of a single ancestral ethnic group. I came about this theory by analyzing the population of certain groups. For example, a hundred years ago, the Igbo were about five million in population; today they are around forty million. If a mere hundred years meant a growth of thirty five miillion then what could have been our population two thousand years ago? Certainly too negligible to form an independent social group.

The Nri Kingdom (which was the first recorded kingdom in southern Nigeria and the first Igbo state) was founded sometime around the year 900 ce and it is given credit (by some) as the "father of the Igbo". This means that the peoples that identify themselves as the Igbo are only a bit older than a thousand years.

This has led me to conclude that a millenia ago, we were probably all members of a larger ethnic group that settled in central Nigeria.

Wow very interesting information, thank you

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? by DaRapture: 8:23pm On Jun 21, 2012
The TIV where the first to exist in the lands in which now make up the nation of Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) / God's Natural Blood Giver. / Learning Igbo Language Online?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.