Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,718 members, 7,824,042 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? (11339 Views)

Photo: Late M.K.O. Abiola In His Youthful Age / Chief M.k.o Abiola: A Hero, A Legend, A True Democrat!!! / Ikemba Ojukwu Vs M.K.O Abiola: Who Is More Popular In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by fm7070: 4:45pm On May 30, 2012
I do not intend to create an uproar with this thread but actually need more education on certain things I know about Chief M.K.O. Abiola while growing up

1. Recall that Chief M.K.O Abiola was arrested alongside with the likes of Alh. Folawiyo and others by Gen. Tunde Idiagbon regime for several shaddy deals, price inflation of the products he imported and other anti-masses offences. I could recall that Chief Abiola was importing rice and was selling at a very high cost. Then, soldiers will break warehouse and sell at a particular rate which was cheaper than what we had in the market.

2. Several Coup was sponsored by this same Chief M.K.O Abiola including the toppling of Gen. Buhari / Gen. Tunde Idiagbon's regime which could have been the best military government in Nigeria that could have wiped away the seed of corruption that the likes of Chief M.K.O was sowing at that time. Was that for the sake of the masses?

3. The friendship of Chief M.K.O Abiola and that of IBB was not in the interest of the masses, not until the game-plan changed

4. This was one of the people who worked seriously against Chief Obafemi Awolowo, knowing fully well that if he became the president of Nigeria, business will not be as usual in their various nefarious deals.

I need more contribution and correction from elderly ones in the house, all I want is truth as it was/is. No sentiment.

3 Likes

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by okosodo: 5:52pm On May 30, 2012
Mko died because he wanted to be president. He did not die for anybody. The truth should be told

8 Likes

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by LogicMind: 6:36pm On May 30, 2012
slave wanted to be master
master gave slave original lipton brew
slave quenched

3 Likes

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Dede1(m): 9:43pm On May 30, 2012
No, MKO Abiola was not even an imaginary martyr. In fact, MKO Abiola was a moronic thief.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by fm7070: 9:59pm On May 30, 2012
Pls. I need more details about his bad past dealings
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 10:35pm On May 30, 2012
I hate talking about the dead because i may mistakenly talk ill about them, which i detest but i believe MKO wanted to become the president for his own benefit and prestige and never for the selfless love and pity he had for the people of Nigeria.

Nigerians were just tired of the Military and Hausas, that was why Abiola was considered. Any civilian who wasn't Hausa or Fulani could have fit his shoes.

You would know a true philanthropist and selfless man from his past dealings and his track records of social and humanitarian works, see Aung San Suu Kyi of Myammar, of which none to the best of my knowledge could be accredited to Abiola, at least outside the South West.

Would hate to bring him up in this topic but if you would want to see what selfless leaders look like, look no farther than the great Madiba of SA and the great colonel from the East, Odumegwu Ojukwu.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kobojunkie: 10:53pm On May 30, 2012
Bandit C.:
I hate talking about the dead because i may mistakenly talk ill about them, which i detest but i believe MKO wanted to become the president for his own benefit and prestige and never for the selfless love and pity he had for the people of Nigeria.

If you are hear to LIE against the man, then you are definitely speaking ill of him. However, if you focus on speaking on exactly what he did while he was alive, then I am sure you are good. cool cool cool cool
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by opata(m): 10:16am On May 31, 2012
You can choose to be president for whatever reason you want. But you must get there through a free and fair process. If the people choose to elect a goat or a known thief, they've made their decision and thats it. I think the question here should be what right anyone has to deny him of his fairly won mandate. The robbery didnt stop there sef. They went ahead and murdered him ...
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kobojunkie: 10:17am On May 31, 2012
opata: You can choose to be president for whatever reason you want. But you must get there through a free and fair process. If the people choose to elect a goat or a known thief, they've made their decision and thats it. I think the question here should be what right anyone has to deny him of his fairly won mandate. The robbery didnt stop there sef. They went ahead and murdered him ...

What has the above to do with whether he was a martyr or not? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by greenhope(m): 10:18am On May 31, 2012
I wish we could ask Fela Anikulapo if MKO was a Martyr

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by HAH: 10:19am On May 31, 2012
Abiola instigated IBB to cancel the SDP and NRC primaries that produced Shehu musa yaradua and adamu ciroma respectively as candididates so that he can be the president, the candidates were also banned from contesting.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 10:19am On May 31, 2012
fm7070: I do not intend to create an uproar with this thread but actually need more education on certain things I know about Chief M.K.O. Abiola while growing up

1. Recall that Chief M.K.O Abiola was arrested alongside with the likes of Alh. Folawiyo and others by Gen. Tunde Idiagbon regime for several shaddy deals, price inflation of the products he imported and other anti-masses offences. I could recall that Chief Abiola was importing rice and was selling at a very high cost. Then, soldiers will break warehouse and sell at a particular rate which was cheaper than what we had in the market.

2. Several Coup was sponsored by this same Chief M.K.O Abiola including the toppling of Gen. Buhari / Gen. Tunde Idiagbon's regime which could have been the best military government in Nigeria that could have wiped away the seed of corruption that the likes of Chief M.K.O was sowing at that time. Was that for the sake of the masses?

3. The friendship of Chief M.K.O Abiola and that of IBB was not in the interest of the masses, not until the game-plan changed

4. This was one of the people who worked seriously against Chief Obafemi Awolowo, knowing fully well that if he became the president of Nigeria, business will not be as usual in their various nefarious deals.

I need more contribution and correction from elderly ones in the house, all I want is truth as it was/is. No sentiment.

Why not ask your father since he's also elderly ?
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by inspirenet: 10:20am On May 31, 2012
okosodo: Mko died because he wanted to be president. He did not die for anybody. The truth should be told

Really?
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Xbox1: 10:21am On May 31, 2012
Logic Mind: slave wanted to be master
slave quenched

grin grin grin
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by ypzilanti: 10:22am On May 31, 2012
Bandit C.:

Nigerians were just tired of the Military and Hausas, that was why Abiola was considered. Any civilian who wasn't Hausa or Fulani could have fit his shoes.

You would know a true philanthropist and selfless man from his past dealings and his track records of social and humanitarian works, see Aung San Suu Kyi of Myammar, of which none to the best of my knowledge could be accredited to Abiola, at least outside the South West.

Would hate to bring him up in this topic but if you would want to see what selfless leaders look like, look no farther than the great Madiba of SA and the great colonel from the East, Odumegwu Ojukwu.

Did you know that Abiola built a hostel in Abia State university. Till this day, it is called Abiola Hostel. Must we always look at things from an ethnic perspective in this country? Do you know how many people Abiola sponsored with scholarships in Nigeria? Including a relative of mine who is Ibo?

I tire for this country,oh! So no matter what you do in this country, some people will hate you just because of your tribe?

I have herad of his complicity with coup plotters, but I have never heard any concrete evidence, just conjecture.

I watched Abiola give a speech in Abia State when he was running for president of this country. He visited all staes of Nigeria...I was in secondary school then and it made an impression on me. It was a small crowd of about 300 people. The state government then was NRC while he was PDP, so he was in hostile territory. His speech was very memorable. I loved the guy and I'm not yoruba. Maybe you are too young to know this, but Abiola was loved all over Nigeria, it was the Afenifere that converted his mandate to a yoruba thing, when he was incarcerated. Before then, it was the labour unions and civil rights organization that were at the forefront of the fight to reclaim his mandate

3 Likes

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by MrGlobe(m): 10:22am On May 31, 2012
I dont know why there is even a clamour to immortalize Abiola a renowned corrupt lot. Are the yerobas telling us they value Abiola's 'aborted' presidency to obasanjo's 8 years presidency? Its a confusion. But they can do whatever they like, so long its domiciled in the SW. Just as the clamour and immortalization of Awolowo - a renowned tribalist!
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 10:23am On May 31, 2012
He embezzled billions of naira of telecommunication money. He is the foundation of many of the problems facing we the youths of now adays. He is no hero. Just imagine, after 20 years, they should rename UNIBEN university of Alameisiyah, or Cicilia ibru, o Eratus Akingbola. People then would have forgotTen most of their crimes. In nigeria, we forget history quickly, n celebrate fake people.

3 Likes

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by notformealone: 10:25am On May 31, 2012
WHERE ARE ALL THE MATURE AND OLDER PEOPLE PLS TELL US. BUT IF NA TO SHARE MEAT AND MONI NA DAT TIME U NA GO DEY SHOW SENIORITY
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by tpia5: 10:25am On May 31, 2012
HAH: Abiola instigated IBB to cancel the SDP and NRC primaries that produced Shehu musa yaradua and adamu ciroma respectively as candididates so that he can be the president, the candidates were also banned from contesting.

that's interesting. Gives a clearer picture of those days. No wonder the north was allowed to vote for him en masse. I always wondered about that.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 10:25am On May 31, 2012
No! He was not a Martyr, he was a businessman who needed to "President MKO Abiola" to his many titles.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by MrGlobe(m): 10:27am On May 31, 2012
Logic Mind: slave wanted to be master
slave quenched
LooL... I heard he over drank the brew. cheesy
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kobojunkie: 10:29am On May 31, 2012
greenhope: I wish we could ask Fela Anikulapo if MKO was a Martyr

Fela long sang about the ITT deal and how Nigerians were duped but no one listen
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 10:29am On May 31, 2012
Mr. Globe:
I dont know why there is even a clamour to immortalize Abiola a renowned corrupt lot. Are the yerobas telling us they value Abiola's 'aborted' presidency to obasanjo's 8 years presidency? Its a confusion. But they can do whatever they like, so long its domiciled in the SW. Just as the clamour and immortalization of Awolowo - a renowned tribalist!

You are sick in the brain.Abiola and Awolowo are above you and your godforsaken family and whether you bit-ch about their being immortalized doesnt change anything.Yes,UNIFE = OAU and UNILAG = MAU . . .Leave with it or gofuckyourself !
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by ypzilanti: 10:31am On May 31, 2012
okosodo: Mko died because he wanted to be president. He did not die for anybody. The truth should be told

If you were in his position would you not have given up on the struggle and gone on to eat your money?

Lets call a spade a spade.

The guy felt wronged...he was given the opportunity to chop his money and most Nigerians would have taken that option.

With the pressure on Abacha after his incaceration, Abacha would have given him anything he wanted apart from the presidency (he later consolidated on his power by killing off opponents and driving opposition out of the country)

If it was for massess or not, it was a fight of principle. Some of you will never understand that, as you have no principles. Like most Nigerians, it is a concept alien to you...to fight and die for a principle.

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by alahamad(m): 10:31am On May 31, 2012
Without speaking ill about the dead, Abiola was indeed arested for a lot of shady deals nd that why I don't have respect for him in anyway.
He also wined nd dined with the military boys then tried playing a fast one on them but u dear not Bleep with then(military) weather jokingly or seriously....let alone maradona himself(IBB)...
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 10:33am On May 31, 2012
notformealone: WHERE ARE ALL THE MATURE AND OLDER PEOPLE PLS TELL US. BUT IF NA TO SHARE MEAT AND MONI NA DAT TIME U NA GO DEY SHOW SENIORITY

Lmao. . . .there was sharing of money then too but they wont tell you.However Abiola won the election irrespective of whatever anybody think about him.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 10:36am On May 31, 2012
al-ahamad:
Without speaking ill about the dead, Abiola was indeed arested for a lot of shady deals nd that why I don't have respect for him in anyway.
He also wined nd dined with the military boys then tried playing a fast one on them but u dear not Bleep with then(military) weather jokingly or seriously....let alone maradona himself(IBB)...

Is dangote not wining and dining with the evil people in power today ? If he wakes up in 2015,contest election and win due to his popularity,will his wining and dining with the evil people in power invalidates his electoral victory ?

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by lacasa: 10:38am On May 31, 2012

Gbam!
Live & direct!
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by MrGlobe(m): 10:42am On May 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Is dangote not wining and dining with the evil people in power today ? If he wakes up in 2015,contest election and win due to his popularity,will his wining and dining with the evil people in power invalidates his electoral victory ?
you are shouting as if the election result was even called. You remain ignorant cheesy:p
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by mapet: 10:42am On May 31, 2012
Some of your are simply ridiculous...humour me, he didn't have the selfless love and pity for the masses...., he was doing it for his selfish opinion....OMG....

I wonder if;

1. some of you were born by then
2. If you knew how the most credible election to-date, that could have been the turning point for credible elections can be thrown away

Please save me the unnecessary referal (short of calling it rant) about Abiola's business, romance with coup plots etc, we knew all that yet overwhelmingly voted for him in 92

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 10:48am On May 31, 2012
Mr. Globe:

you are shouting as if the election result was even called. You remain ignorant cheesy:p

An average adult then knew he won. . . .people voted irrespective of their religious/ethnic inclinations.Besides,Tofa didnt contest the result !

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by mapet: 10:49am On May 31, 2012
You guys fly false information so loosely here and it is dangerous. Anybody living back then knew that the primaries that produce the candidature of Y'ardua and the likes were fraught with widespread irregularities, money-4 votes scandals and it was a complicated mess.

....and it is false that it was MKO that told Babangida to cancel the primaries. check your fact. It was Babagana Kingibe (who was Y'aradua's prodigy) that in fact suggested it to Babangida. Babangida taped that conversation and showed it to the late Y'ardua.

tpia@:
that's interesting. Gives a clearer picture of those days. No wonder the north was allowed to vote for him en masse. I always wondered about that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan Congratulates Oshiomhole / ‘tom And Jerry’ Relationship Between Igbo And Yoruba / Minimum Wage: Labour Gives Anambra 14-Day Ultimatum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.