Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,080 members, 7,838,724 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? (11351 Views)

Photo: Late M.K.O. Abiola In His Youthful Age / Chief M.k.o Abiola: A Hero, A Legend, A True Democrat!!! / Ikemba Ojukwu Vs M.K.O Abiola: Who Is More Popular In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by DeepSight(m): 8:00pm On Jun 04, 2012
This discussion is disgusting.

There have always been, and will always be, imperfect men in the corridors of power. Indeed, political power often requires some degree of ruthlessness. I would not readily condemn MKO on that ground alone, especially in light of the events of 1993 - 1998, - which, as has been correctly pointed out, many here were too young to know about. My only conclusion will simply be that Nigerians are the most undeserving lot of people in this world. It is worthless making any sacrifice of any sort, or being a philanthropist in Nigeria. It would be better to be a philanthropist to swine.

The comments here are sacrilegous, and without sounding extreme, I wish to say that some people with their attitude here honestly either have no conscience, or no expectation of any grace in their future lives. PARTICULARY, people have no sense of the moment or import of national events: national history. For they heedlessly abuse their freedom of thought and conscience: and therewith one day they shall live again in the sort of society that they truly deserve: a brutal and unyielding dictatorship.

Nevermind the fact that people have not even averted their minds to the trusim that one cannot wrest power from military dictatorships without some element of guile: if not, outright rebellion. One or the other must hold.

People need to go and examine the lives of all the great and honoured men in history and see if they were all saints.

I am writing too much already. Like I said, I will just drop the below on the subject of education - READ -

"There has never been a philanthropist on the scale of MKO Abiola in the history of Nigeria. His oft-repeated life's ambition was to touch the life of every Nigerian one way or another. He may have succeeded in the area of education alone. In March 1990, he donated N1 million (equivalent of N40 million in 2010) to each state university; N50,000 (N2 million in 2010) to each federal university for student welfare; N20,000 (N800,000 in 2010) to the libraries of each federal university and N25,000 (N1 million in 2010) to each polytechnic and college of education in the country.

"He is credited with the construction of 63 secondary schools and 41 libraries. He established Abiola Bookshops to provide affordable, locally produced textbooks in the 1980s when imported text books became out of the reach of ordinary Nigerians; when the Naira was devalued. He awarded over 1,000 scholarships to deserving students in tertiary institutions at home and abroad.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/unilag-abiola-family-thanks-jonathan-chides-protesters/117111/

My question is ever so simple: How many wealthy Nigerians, corrupt or not corrupt, ambitious or not ambitious - do such as this today?

To all of you I say: may that which you do in this life be not so unkindly spat on when you are gone.

Think again.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by levos2007(m): 4:19pm On Jun 05, 2012
~Bluetooth:

And who were the pople that voted for him and died when the election was nullified ? His family members ?
Alot of people were ignorant then,i belive Nigerians are more wise now even though we still been deceived.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by levos2007(m): 4:22pm On Jun 05, 2012
someone said Nigerians deserve the kind of leader them have, in think he is right.95% Nigerians have corrupt mind.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jul 28, 2012
Dear Sir,

Your post is very interesting. However, there are puzzling parts. Firstly, the late Major General SM Yar'Adua (rtd) was promoted from Lt Col to Brigadier when he was appointed Chief of Staff Supreme Headquarters in February 1976 in the aftermath of the Dimka coup. Secondly, it seems odd that the late Major General Idiagbon would have been appointed Chief of the Army Staff 14 years after retiring. I'm not sure who your sources are but the Yar'Adua Col to Maj Gen part is definitely incorrect.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jul 28, 2012
The late Chief MKO Abiola was many things to many people...however what people can't take from him is his generosity humanity and humility....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Revealed: Buhari Is Sick, Visited London Bridge Hospital On The 1st Of Dec,2015 / Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today / Minimum Wage: Labour Gives Anambra 14-Day Ultimatum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.