Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,159 members, 7,838,958 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? (11352 Views)

Photo: Late M.K.O. Abiola In His Youthful Age / Chief M.k.o Abiola: A Hero, A Legend, A True Democrat!!! / Ikemba Ojukwu Vs M.K.O Abiola: Who Is More Popular In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by redsun(m): 7:27pm On May 31, 2012
Abiola was like today,s otedola and dem danjuma,that capitalized on the corrupt and rogue system to enmass the people,s wealth in the name business tycooms. The thieving politicians use them as channels to syphone blood money and resources. And they inturn give back peanuts to the deluded masses in the name of philantropism,hence their supposed good name.

The reason why his empire collasped at his death is primarily because the blood money ceased to flow.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by ibi1: 7:28pm On May 31, 2012
@omenziate, I have got 7 words for you too; ur statement came from an empty brain omenziate
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by omenziate(m): 7:52pm On May 31, 2012
ibi+:
@omenziate, I have got 7 words for you too; ur statement came from an empty brain omenziate

Are u one of his illegimate children dat had to go thru d painful ordeals of a DNA test/ paternity test. Hope u have his eyes, ears and mouth.? Puta de mierda

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by crackhouse(m): 7:57pm On May 31, 2012
fm7070: Pls. I need more details about his bad past dealings
are u writing a book?.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by redsun(m): 8:03pm On May 31, 2012
Nigerians cant remain fo.olish forever. Soon they will realize who the real good people are. And that soon is just about now.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by crackhouse(m): 8:08pm On May 31, 2012
MKO was not a military man and he knew he can't be president in the military regime so all he wanted was the transition from military to democracy so he can achieve his dreams and i believe he didn't do that for the interest of Nigerians. Though his killing made it look as if he did it 4 Nigerians. if he had become the president then, maybe we would be singing a different song now.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 31, 2012
Degis:

All this revisionist attempt at history!. I am sure that many of you were either in the womb or may be in your cradle, when this great on of Africa was parading this continent like a collosus that he was, MKO was MKO of Africa not just of Nigeria. The under listed were some of his achievements

1. Turning ITT into a major Telecommunication outfit in Nigeria in the mode of MTN, ZAIN, ETISALAT
2. Providing world class Newspaper medium in Nigeria eg National Concord, Weekend Concord that made super journalist like Dele Momodu, Dimgba Igwe, Mike Awoyinfa
3. Providing Employment for Thousands of Nigeria
4. Fought for Repatriation of Africa's stolen wealth
5. Provided Scholarship for indigent students
6. Philanthropist par excellence
7. Had the conviction that Nigeria can bid farewell to poverty through Hope '93 campaign
8. Fought the Military Junta of Sani Abacha head on through the Epetedo Declaration
9. A True Democract with impassioned commitment to fair play and Justice
10. A Lover of Entertainment which was evident in grooming and providing platform for Nigerian Musicians like FELA to display their talent to the world

Let all naysayers and hare-brain youths go back and learn their history. MOSHOOD KASHIMAWO OLAWALE UNIVERSITY, LAGOS HAS COME TO STAY.
this guy must be a big fool! Azzin mad! Whose money is he using T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ D̶̲̥̅̊☺ αℓℓ this? His fathers money? You aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ still in ђhe stone age, You are the type that politician usually give N200 and ankara with party logo on it to vote for them, how do You even come about the internet when you should be with your pple 'NURTW' giving tickets or driving danfo. Chai! You must be from ђhe stone age. Haba!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kobojunkie: 9:43pm On May 31, 2012
nsiadi: Most wealthy people have dubious past. This doesnt necessarily mean that all wealthy people are dubious
Fela tried to x-ray Abiola. Abiola may have been a successful business man but he wasnt an astute politician
He chose a moslem as a vice. We didnt mind that. After all Idiagbon & Buhari were both moslems
A coup financier should be regarded as an abbe ration. He derided the Igbos. Nobody does that & gets free from scars
His presidency could have fed back some of things he took from us. It may not have prevented him from taking more any way
But he did not deserve the way he died. His death, however, threw the doors open for non Northerners to have a peep!

Successful business man in what sense? When you say a company is successful, you imply that you are at least able to point to one tangible project/structure/product that resulted from the existence of said business. Now please lets have just one.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by agbonna: 10:50pm On May 31, 2012
HAH: Abiola instigated IBB to cancel the SDP and NRC primaries that produced Shehu musa yaradua and adamu ciroma respectively as candididates so that he can be the president, the candidates were also banned from contesting.

Do you facts about what yoy are saying?
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by tpia5: 2:58am On Jun 01, 2012
mapet: You guys fly false information so loosely here and it is dangerous. Anybody living back then knew that the primaries that produce the candidature of Y'ardua and the likes were fraught with widespread irregularities, money-4 votes scandals and it was a complicated mess.

....and it is false that it was MKO that told Babangida to cancel the primaries. check your fact. It was Babagana Kingibe (who was Y'aradua's prodigy) that in fact suggested it to Babangida. Babangida taped that conversation and showed it to the late Y'ardua.

i dont know who is who or what is what, ok?

I dont remember the specifics about whatever happened before that election. All i know is the candidacy of bashir tofa was a very fishy one, because quite obviously he wasnt a serious contender yet the race was between him and abiola?

post your links if you feel strongly about your comment. Then let the rest of us examine them.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by africanb(m): 7:35am On Jun 01, 2012
I think some folks here need to go ask their fore fathers what happened between 1992 and 1993 when the widely judged freest and fairest elections in the country history was annulled. First and foremost, they need to learn that in Yoruba land and it is norm everywhere that we don't speak bad of a dead man. Now to put the record straight, I was just 13 years old when the election was held but I remembered clearly how about 70percent of the nations eligible voters voted for Abiola! Are these foolish nairalanders who are condemning Abiola now more wiser than their parents who voted then? We all have past.... Even if you Daddy G O, to contest for Naija presidency, people will remember something baba has done in the past! Some of you are roaming the streets with second class lower you managed to get from one mushroom universities and you are debating whether someone who was deprived of access to his family for good four years is a martyr or not? Why don't you go and ur fore fathers. Are u saying Abiola was not rich enough to cater for his family rather bn adamant over his mandate. Are these future leaders. Bunch of hypocrites!!! Lobatan.

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by africanb(m): 7:36am On Jun 01, 2012
I think some folks here need to go ask their fore fathers what happened between 1992 and 1993 when the widely judged freest and fairest elections in the country history was annulled. First and foremost, they need to learn that in Yoruba land and it is norm everywhere that we don't speak bad of a dead man. Now to put the record straight, I was just 13 years old when the election was held but I remembered clearly how about 70percent of the nations eligible voters voted for Abiola! Are these foolish nairalanders who are condemning Abiola now more wiser than their parents who voted then? We all have past.... Even if my Daddy G O, go contest for Naija presidency, people will remember something baba has done in the past! Some of you are roaming the streets with second class lower you managed to get from one mushroom universities and you are debating whether someone who was deprived of access to his family for good four years is a martyr or not? Why don't you go and ur fore fathers. Are u saying Abiola was not rich enough to cater for his family rather bn adamant over his mandate. Are these future leaders. Bunch of hypocrites!!! Lobatan.

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by emmasege: 7:48am On Jun 01, 2012
yd849ja:

I repeat once again you are a basterd(this error was intentional) child. Omo Ale to fi owo osi ju we ile baba ni e. Because you were born and breed in a Yoruba land does not qualify you to be one. So zip it! And so you may know, I am first a Yoruba before a Nigerian. An American would tell you he is either an Italian, Irish, Indian American etc. Because they understand the essence of origin and not to take it beyond that. Unlike you so called bigot do here in Nigeria. You all hide behind Nationalism to perpetrate your foolish and unreasonable acts. Heritage to me my friend is worth more than all new things the likes of GEJ can ever or would ever achieve in life. Past they say is the key to the future. And that is why we don't need him to destroy them all. Like they have done to UNILAG now. There is nothing wrong about identifying with your ethnic group it only become an issue when you lord it over others. What we don't want is hatred for another. Why are you people so screwed up in your thinking. Its very obvious you have a long way to go in life. So AWO too doesn't deserve it, ZIK too doesn't, our unknown soldiers too do not deserve it. I can see where the future of this country lies. Why am I even wasting my time on you. As far as MKO is concerned, history would have it that he did his best for Nigeria. I won't tell you what those are...I leave that for your education and if you like don't get educated.

Ur I.Q. is too low for objective analysis. Haven't Zik and Awo been immortalized after federal universities. I wonder if u even know where Nnamdi Azikiwe University is located, since u have a limited knowledge of Nigeria. Yam head!

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Ugosample(m): 8:38am On Jun 01, 2012
Many people, especially our so called elders don't see what i i see. If this unruly behaviour is not checked, he will come up with another illegal decision. Can't you remember what happened on the first of january?Besides MKO has been honoured enough.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by yd849ja: 10:03am On Jun 01, 2012
[quote author=emmasege][/quote]
How is it ever gonna be possible that Neanderthals like you would capacitate objective analysis Tell me? See foolishness oozing from your medulla. So because those other institutions have been renamed it makes it right? And you are even ignorant of the fact that they were done by FIAT! Ok GEJ is now ruling a Junta? Yours is a case of bad education and lost identity, I've told you that already. Pity in my eyes for Nigeria if your likes abound in multitude without cognitive abilities.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kobojunkie: 10:15am On Jun 01, 2012
africanb: I think some folks here need to go ask their fore fathers what happened between 1992 and 1993 when the widely judged freest and fairest elections in the country history was annulled. First and foremost, they need to learn that in Yoruba land and it is norm everywhere that we don't speak bad of a dead man. Now to put the record straight, I was just 13 years old when the election was held but I remembered clearly how about 70percent of the nations eligible voters voted for Abiola! Are these foolish nairalanders who are condemning Abiola now more wiser than their parents who voted then? We all have past.... Even if my Daddy G O, go contest for Naija presidency, people will remember something baba has done in the past! Some of you are roaming the streets with second class lower you managed to get from one mushroom universities and you are debating whether someone who was deprived of access to his family for good four years is a martyr or not? Why don't you go and ur fore fathers. Are u saying Abiola was not rich enough to cater for his family rather bn adamant over his mandate. Are these future leaders. Bunch of hypocrites!!! Lobatan.

And this is from the mind of a 'youth' in this nation today? Nigeria ti te! grin grin grin
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 01, 2012
Mr. Globe:
I dont know why there is even a clamour to immortalize Abiola a renowned corrupt lot. Are the yerobas telling us they value Abiola's 'aborted' presidency to obasanjo's 8 years presidency? Its a confusion. But they can do whatever they like, so long its domiciled in the SW. Just as the clamour and immortalization of Awolowo - a renowned tribalist!

I voted during the June 12 elections and I know a lot of Nigerian from all over the country voted en-mass for Abiola regardless of their religious leanings or ethnicity.The results that were announced in the subsequent week showed that Abiola had already won by a wide margin. Do you know that Bashir Tofa lost the votes in Kano, which happens to be his own state?This was the scenario before IBB annulled the elections. This was history that i experienced. I wasn't told about this, neither did i read it in a text book. The June 12 ideal was not and cannot be a Yoruba thing.Obasanjo sadly was just a bad joke and i dont even wanna go into that now.
Call Awolowo what you will but he did a lot for this country than you can ever imagine. A lot of Non Yorubas benefited from the Action Group's free education policy. A policy that continued during the days of the UPN.Naming the former University of Ife after him was an honour well deserved. Unilag is a fifty year old brand and naming it after M.K.O was just another one of Ebele's asinine moves.I wont have a problem with naming a sports edifice after him considering his contribution to the development of sports in Nigeria. The people protesting have nothing against Abiola; their protest is simply because of the unconstitutional and brazen way Ebele went about it without giving a damn about the public and their opinions. My two kobo

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kobojunkie: 11:38am On Jun 01, 2012
fxtimi: Unilag is a fifty year old brand and naming it after M.K.O was just another one of Ebele's asinine moves.I wont have a problem with naming a sports edifice after him considering his contribution to the development of sports in Nigeria. The people protesting have nothing against Abiola; their protest is simply because of the unconstitutional and brazen way Ebele went about it without giving a damn about the public and their opinions. My two kobo

so you admit that Abiola is not worth giving UNILAG to. grin
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by puzo(m): 1:11pm On Jun 01, 2012
MKO and Education by an Ex Fed. Govt. College Ogbomoso student.
Hello all,
I decided to do this write-up to remind us of what MKO Abiola represented. My aim is not to say if the President used the right process and or timing to re-name a university. Rather its to de- bunk that claim that MKO was a sports supporter and a stadium should bear his name and not a University. Some even say erroneously that Abiola didn't do anything for the educational sector.
In the late 80s and early 90s, universities had serious financial challenges. As a coping strategy, they started organising fund -raising events. In virtually all the cases MKO was the chief launcher. He was always there, doling out huge sums.
Then he got tired . Not of giving money but attending the ceremonies. So in 1990, Chief Abiola gave NI,000,000 to each state university for improvement of students welfare; N500,000 to each Federal University for students welfare, and N250,000 to each Nigerian polytechnic for students welfare. So in one swoop, He gave each and every university and polytechnic in Nigeria a grant. This was unprecedented. Till date no one has done that.
I still remember how I helped a class -mate prepare an application for this fund when he needed a hearing aid.
In 1990, he donated N30,000,000 to the Oyo State Educational Development Fund. MKO funded the construction of over 60 secondary schools in Nigeria. I think I should remind us that MKO was the first newspaper publisher to publish in the 3 Nigerian languages.
I remember that MKO provided grant for the University of Ado-Ekiti to provide Students’ accommodation. Also there are MKO endowment for scholarships in many universities and professional organisations.
MKO support for education wasn't limited to Nigeria alone. At the Howard University, The Abiola Fellowship of $3000 was established for the Department of African Studies by Chief M.K.O. Abiola.

Was he not?
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jun 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Kobojunkie:

[quote author=Kobojunkie]

Please do not misquote me here capische! What do you mean by "not worth giving UNILAG to".I have already said that the whole idea of recognizing him this way was just one of Ebele's asinine moves. There are far more pressing issues in the polity than the whole "naming ceremony" bit. I schooled at Ogun Poly now known as Moshood Abiola Polytechnic at Ojeere,Abeokuta in the 90s and even though it is a state owned school, that man(m.k.o) contributed great resources towards building structures like lecture theaters, the school library and fixing of the roads therein. he extended the same philanthropy to other schools in different parts of Nigeria. My only concern as a brand management practitioner is that the MAUING of UNILAG is just not necessary. Abiola truly deserves better than this and naming structures or institutions after him is not the way to go about this. Kobojunkie lets stick to the premise of my argument.

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Degis(m): 4:24pm On Jun 01, 2012
thisisayus: this guy must be a big fool! Azzin mad! Whose money is he using T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ D̶̲̥̅̊☺ αℓℓ this? His fathers money? You α̲̅я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ still in ђhe stone age, You are the type that politician usually give N200 and ankara with party logo on it to vote for them, how do You even come about the internet when you should be with your pple 'NURTW' giving tickets or driving danfo. Chai! You must be from ђhe stone age. Haba!!!!

Animal, Have you taken your afternoon medications. God punish you and your generations yet unborn. He goat of the Byzantine apocalypse. You product of broken condom on whose head precious resources have been wasted. Ode oshi
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Degis(m): 4:34pm On Jun 01, 2012
emmasege: It's so sad most Nigerians always allow sentiment to prevail over reasoning. am a yoruba man but have never believed that abiola would have made a good president. u need not a prophet to tell you that he died for himself and himself alone. i also think he under-estimated the kano boy in power at the time and expected the western power to come to his aid somehow. For crying out aloud, he can't even be compared with the likes of abraham adesanya, Gani Fawehinmi, Beko and Fela Kuti, not to even talk of Baba awo. Why was there no resistance to UNIFE being re-named OAU, despite the fact that it belongs to the same generation as UNILAG and ABU?. I think the answer is obvious. A great man deserves to be associated with great things.

How I hate I?di?ots!. Your comment denote how grossly your education was undermined by strikes and students' unrest. Who told you that students did not protest when unife was renamed OAU?. My friend go get a history teacher
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by jessMena(f): 5:22pm On Jun 01, 2012
Abiola sank 3million bibles in d sea....do I need 2 define boko haram 4 u guys? We all know dey r afta christians n dat was Abiola's intentions...Christians wud've suffered more
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Dave9103: 5:35pm On Jun 01, 2012
U guys insultin urselves on diz thread av deviate 4rm purpose, d question is simple. So if u av d ans provide it coz I also wnt 2 knw more abt M.K.O. Anyway Abiola was neva a saint. 4rm a reliable source he knw he cnneva b Nigeria president. I wish Yoruba start 2 recongnise on OBJ nw, I gues sm1 wana knw y
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kobojunkie: 5:46pm On Jun 01, 2012
fxtimi: Please do not misquote me here capische! What do you mean by "not worth giving UNILAG to".I have already said that the whole idea of recognizing him this way was just one of Ebele's asinine moves. There are far more pressing issues in the polity than the whole "naming ceremony" bit. I schooled at Ogun Poly now known as Moshood Abiola Polytechnic at Ojeere,Abeokuta in the 90s and even though it is a state owned school, that man(m.k.o) contributed great resources towards building structures like lecture theaters, the school library and fixing of the roads therein. he extended the same philanthropy to other schools in different parts of Nigeria. My only concern as a brand management practitioner is that the MAUING of UNILAG is just not necessary. Abiola truly deserves better than this and naming structures or institutions after him is not the way to go about this. Kobojunkie lets stick to the premise of my argument.

There is no need for the lecture. All you have said can be boiled down to you not thinking UNILAG is what Abiola should get, or is worth him getting.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by muedewor: 11:39pm On Jun 01, 2012
ayox2003: Thank God this thread is filled with SW'ers who shelved favoritism and spoke the truth.
Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola died as a victim of his own undoing. He was never a martyr.
1) ITT Scam
2) Sponsored coups
3) Religious fanatic- Sank 3million Gideons Bible.
4) Somany shady deals....
5) Uncountable wives and children
And the beat goes on. Fela sang about it.
When you talk about heroes, you mention Jerry Rawlings, Adekunle Ajasin, Nelson Mandela, Kenneth Kaunda, the president of Botswana and so on.

I find it lamentable and unfair that there are individuals who are adamant enough to speak out on issues that they are in fact quite oblivious of. What credible source of information do you have to prove that Chief Abiola looted funds from ITT while he served as it's Managing Director ? There is no proof to back up that allegation which was originated and publicised by the late Fela through his song, "I.T.T".

First and foremost, if you carry out meticulous research on this issue , you will discover that Fela was signed to Abiola's record label until a feud over royalty payments ended their relationship,then out of anger, the late Fela released the song (I.T.T.)containing acrimonious slurs.

Secondly , if we are to assess the allegation objectively, we will indeed conclude that it must be false because ITT was a multinational firm with an international standard of checks and balances. Unlike Nigerian firms where traditionally, anything goes,multinational firms have inherent accountability and transparency with regards to their financial transactions. ITT of Africa and the Middle-East which Abiola headed, had to report to it's headquarters in the United States with a balance sheet every quarter to account for how every penny of it's money was being spent.So given this context of rigid accountability, how on earth can one sensibly assert that MKO Abiola looted funds ?

Indeed , Fela was also a champion of the people, but truth-be-told, this unfounded rumor which he started must finally come to an end.

Furthermore, as far as the other claims of coup sponsorships , islamic fanaticism and shady business deals, to date , there has been no worthy evidence to buttress any of those speculations which implies that they are all null and void.

On the issue of Islamic fanaticism , that allegation is substantially flawed because abiola attended christian schools in abeokuta in his early life ,and even as an adult, he was fund of quoting the bible which he had intricate knowledge of. Moreover , while in political detention in Abuja for four years, he kept a bible and a quaran.

With regards to his "uncountable wives and children" , that was his personal decision, as citizens in a free state, i believe that we all have the right to comport ourselves however we wish. The way he decided to conduct his personal life should not be the business of any of us here.

MKO Abiola's personal contributions to the socio-economic entity of Nigeria are unrivaled by any Nigerian in history,both living and dead.In the context of this "MAU" controversy, i'd like to mention that he did indeed also contribute vastly in the area of academia. There has never been a more philanthropic Nigerian than this man . Inspired by the hardship he faced as a result of growing up in poverty, his ultimate ambition was to touch the life of every Nigerian in one way or the other.

In the area of academia for example , In March 1990 , he donated N40M to each state university, N2M to each federal university for student welfare , N800,000 to the libraries of each federal universities and N1M to each polytechnic and college of University. In addition, he is credited with the construction of 63 secondary schools and 41 libraries.He also awarded over 1000 scholarships to deserving students in tertiary institutions at home and abroad. In addition to those awarded by the federal government, MKO Abiola awarded bursaries to every single student from Ogun state. For every N500 they received from the Federal Government, they received N250 from him. To delve into his contributions in sports , culture and welfare would turn this response into a thesis.

Let's call a spade a spade,nobody is perfect , but the man paid his dues, he had a good heart. Long before he ever had a presidential ambition he had been a "father christmas" to all. If you do your research,you will find out that there were throngs of people who stormed his residence everyday for financial assistance, and whenever he was around, he would see as many as he could on a daily basis and give his quota.

Nigerians are never satisfied. Lord knows what else he could have done to please those whining here today. How much do the exceptionally wealthy in our society do for the people today? How much and how frequently do the likes of Adenuga and Dongote give out ? Ofcourse, they do not owe us so they are not obligated to, but for the love of humanity, MKO Abiola did just that , but yet, some imbiciles on this site see it necessary to insult his memory. What a shame. Nigerians truly suffer from impunity.

For goodness sakes, the man did not bestow himself with this "MAU" honour, so i don't quite understand the basis of all of this disrespect. It is unbelievable,Nigerians are truly impudent.If you are a graduate, you should not be making stark assertions solely based on a song you heard, endeavor to do your own research.

Whether you like it or not, MKO Abiola is a legend and a man of integrity, a benevolent and empathetic leader. If you do not like him out of impulse , that is completely up to you, but regardless, unbiased generations to come will sing his name in praise.

The late Murtala Muhammed was a military dictator who was not voted into office. General Obasanjo named the Lagos international airport after him shortly after his assassination in 1976,and there was no uproar, so why is there an uproar now when it is the turn of a president-elect who was cheated of his mandate ? Are Nigerians myopic in their inclination? It is not unheard of for a government to rename a university after a statesman who has contributed greatly to society in one way of the other. For example, the University of Ile-Ife was renamed to "Obafemi Awolowo University" in 1987, there's the "Kwame Nkrumah University" in Ghana,the "John Hopkins University" and the "Carnegie Melon University" in the USA which were all renamed after notable statesmen whose philanthropic or political deeds were worth honouring. Indeed, by any measure, MKO abiola falls into this league of men in the context of Nigeria.

Some of you tried to discredit his presidential bid based on a perception of a perceived greedy self-ambition rather than one of a truly benevolent leader . In response to that ,there is always an element of personal ambition when it comes to contesting for any elective office, but that does not undermine the man's integrity or genuine status. Even Obama had an element of personal ambition in his campaign, it is normal. That does not mean that the man was not sincere in his empathy. I personally believe that a man who had happily doled out financial assistance since the 70s' would have made a great president.

In conclusion, please desist from Ignorant and uninformed claims about a man who is not here to defend himself.If you are too young to know first hand information about him, then do your research , but adhere to credible sources of information.

That is all.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by muedewor: 11:49pm On Jun 01, 2012
africanb: I think some folks here need to go ask their fore fathers what happened between 1992 and 1993 when the widely judged freest and fairest elections in the country history was annulled. First and foremost, they need to learn that in Yoruba land and it is norm everywhere that we don't speak bad of a dead man. Now to put the record straight, I was just 13 years old when the election was held but I remembered clearly how about 70percent of the nations eligible voters voted for Abiola! Are these foolish nairalanders who are condemning Abiola now more wiser than their parents who voted then? We all have past.... Even if my Daddy G O, go contest for Naija presidency, people will remember something baba has done in the past! Some of you are roaming the streets with second class lower you managed to get from one mushroom universities and you are debating whether someone who was deprived of access to his family for good four years is a martyr or not? Why don't you go and ur fore fathers. Are u saying Abiola was not rich enough to cater for his family rather bn adamant over his mandate. Are these future leaders. Bunch of hypocrites!!! Lobatan.

This is Wisdom.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by muedewor: 11:53pm On Jun 01, 2012
blink182: He was an unfortunate thief, who bit on more than he could chew.

You are an unfortunate fool, your father is a thief.

You have no credible proof of what you speak of.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by kaymatic: 8:47am On Jun 02, 2012
opata: You can choose to be president for whatever reason you want. But you must get there through a free and fair process. If the people choose to elect a goat or a known thief, they've made their decision and thats it. I think the question here should be what right anyone has to deny him of his fairly won mandate. The robbery didnt stop there sef. They went ahead and murdered him ...
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by okogasir(m): 12:05pm On Jun 02, 2012
there are somethings we know is true but we don't have access to such information. am not siding with anyone, whether MKO deserves to be immortalized because it doesn't put food on my table, just a political move. Nevertheless, i can't prove OBJ or MKO were corrupt because i don't have access to such information.But what i want to know that may put food on my table is how all these people claimed rags to billion-naira riches story-lines from government salary(i keep doing the maths with a calculator and it doesn't add up) and why an ITT project that drilled holes around the country which i almost fell into once, was easily deleted from everyone's memory.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 04, 2012
jessMena: Abiola sank 3million bibles in d sea....do I need 2 define boko haram 4 u guys? We all know dey r afta christians n dat was Abiola's intentions...Christians wud've suffered more

Were do you people get this stories from. Its just like that bull crap urban legend that used to circulate back in the day when they said Nigeria played against India at the world cup and India kept on scoring because they were all jazzed up. Am sure alot of you heard that when you were growing up. its the same crap that was circulating in 19983 during the presidential elections because they wanted to discredit him from contesting. This story was attributed to his party members in the NPN who didn't want him to contest for the presidential primaries. Sola Saraki was particularly pissed when he said to news men that the presidency was not for sale.
Please kindly read your history and refrain from infantile yarns.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by ibi1: 7:35pm On Jun 04, 2012
omenziate:

Are u one of his illegimate children dat had to go thru d painful ordeals of a DNA test/ paternity test. Hope u have his eyes, ears and mouth.? Puta de mierda
. Like earlier said,empty brain is all u v got,kindred of ibori

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Revealed: Buhari Is Sick, Visited London Bridge Hospital On The 1st Of Dec,2015 / Minimum Wage: Labour Gives Anambra 14-Day Ultimatum / 2019: Believe Me Atiku Will Defeat Buhari Squarely – Aliyu Babangida

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.