Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,191 members, 7,825,734 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes (37548 Views)

Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima / Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! / Catalyst System Effciency Below Threshold (bank 1) What Does It Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by depair: 5:57pm On Sep 17, 2016
send me the document folaxy@gmail.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by AnusOdourInhaler: 12:00am On Sep 18, 2016
nissparts:
If anyone needs a pictorial description of this process, drop your email and I'll send it to you. It's a word document with pictures and too heavy to upload here.
Mail me please...
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 12:01am On Sep 18, 2016
muyannie:
Hello Nissparts, I have a Nissan Pathfinder 2005 SUV. No major issues, guzzles a lot of fuel (V6 wahala i guess), works just fine. 'Service Engine Soon' light came on recently and upon scanning it gave the following fault codes; P0420, P0430. My internet searches led me here. It doesn't jerk, no issues with hill climbing, accelerates easily, and guzzles fuel. What do you advise?

Keep an eye on it. It will get progressively worse. As soon as you observe any symptoms, replace or remove cats
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by FullDepth1: 8:41pm On Sep 18, 2016
nissparts:

Keep an eye on it. It will get progressively worse. As soon as you observe any symptoms, replace or remove cats

Hello Nissparts,

One question:- "What is the effect of Complete removal of the Cats" ..... (Not replacement)

And how can this be achieved?

Thanks.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by lonelydora: 1:20am On Jun 23, 2017
nissparts:
If anyone needs a pictorial description of this process, drop your email and I'll send it to you. It's a word document with pictures and too heavy to upload here.

Please send this to me. emekauzo74@gmail.com.

Thanks
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by taiwog700: 10:07am On Jun 24, 2017
i need too taiwog70@gmail.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by gambus007(m): 6:03am On Jul 27, 2017
Helllo, If you are needing of spacer for your catalytic converter issue contact me via 08032953192. i have as many as u want. Abuja is d location

Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by gambus007(m): 6:04am On Jul 27, 2017
spacers

Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by dicksonadams(m): 7:02am On Jun 28, 2019
cecegorz:

Dude!
As we type now, I have a bill of over 100k waiting for me at the mechanic.
It happened that last Tuesday, the car all of a sudden started stalling with no prior incident, I managed it to the mechanic, with intermittent stop and starts on the way.
Mech swung into action after scanning, happened that the blocked cat has already created heated/broken valve, spark plugs, gaskets, distribution coil and all kinds of issues.
It took him about a week to dismantle all these and listed items for purchase and bill. I gave him 80k to commence work, on my way there now to get updates as he promised the car will be roaring back to life this evening.

I'm especially happy with the idea of using an O2 sensor spacer after hollowing out the cat and welding back as revealed in this thread. I'll discuss it with the Mech when I get there, as I can't imagine increasing fuel consumption at this critical time.
I wanted to know if using a 02 space fixed in and how was the fuel economy after installing
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by gambus007(m): 7:04am On Jun 28, 2019
gambus007:
spacers
So this my advert is still here on Nairaland grin
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by dicksonadams(m): 7:06am On Jun 28, 2019
honmusa:

Rubbish!!!!! iam sure you have never heard of back pressure effect before .No matter of well you deceive the computer,absence of catalyst will will not give the required back pressure and you car will still be consuming fuel .
if your catalyst is missing you replace with another catalyst.

I wanted to know if using a 02 space fixed in and how was the fuel economy after installing
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by autologic: 7:20am On Jun 28, 2019
dicksonadams:

O2 spacer only removed P0420 code and dont expect anything else.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by gambus007(m): 1:25pm On Jun 28, 2019
autologic:

O2 spacer only removed P0420 code and dont expect anything else.
So if the code is out, does that mean the issue is still there? ..
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by autologic: 4:13pm On Jun 28, 2019
gambus007:

So if the code is out, does that mean the issue is still there? ..
Yes ,real catalyst still absent .
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by gambus007(m): 4:19pm On Jun 28, 2019
autologic:

Yes ,real catalyst still absent .
What are the implications? Apart from polluting the environment..
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by autologic: 6:49pm On Jun 28, 2019
gambus007:

What are the implications? Apart from polluting the environment..
Better performance but slightly ( not significant in some model) increased in fuel mileage cos of no effect of no backpressure on the exhaust.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by gambus007(m): 8:43pm On Jun 28, 2019
autologic:

Better performance but slightly ( not significant in some model) increased in fuel mileage cos of no effect of no backpressure on the exhaust.
Thanks
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by dicksonadams(m): 8:55pm On Oct 25, 2019
autologic:

By performance you mean speed
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by sako28: 8:58pm On Oct 26, 2019
Good day bros,

Please is it advisable to change 2005 Nissian Xterra engine? And what the price of the engine.

Thank you
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by andisa: 7:59am On Nov 03, 2019
I want to try out the oxygen sensor spacer (P0420), where can I get to buy in Lagos?
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Paulasio: 4:05pm On Jun 20, 2020
nissparts:
no

Sir kindly send to my email, I also need the pictorial discription. akaphilemon@gmail.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by HIbreed(m): 1:41am On Aug 01, 2020
nissparts:
do you still have this? Please forward to me at liketermites@gmail.Com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Zane2point4(m): 12:02pm On Aug 01, 2020
Mine was stolen at the mechanic workshop where i went for a minor servicing.

It didnt affect fuel consumption atall.

Only the noise was up whenever you rev the car.

I changed it and noise reduced like before, fuel remained same, so i think catalyst is only for air pollution reduction and noise only pls.

Note: i also love the smell of catayst when the car is steaming in the morning, smells somehow like a bleach grin

1 Share

Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Emmyk(m): 10:27am On Aug 02, 2020
nissparts:
Continued:

When your vehicle has a catalyst issue, there are 2 alternative fixes

1. Replace the catalyst with a brand new unit(Note I said brand new unit. If you attempt a tokunbo replacement, you'll either get one which has been filled with the "ladipo" element in the exhaust pot or you'll get one fresh off a used vehicle which may have also failed as well)

2. Hollow out the exhaust pots and rid them completely of the foamy/netty substance inside them. Now because your car's computer has been programmed to accept a certain level of exhaust fumes to be detected by the monitoring o2 sensor, the consequent rush of exhaust fumes which it will detect in the absence of the foamy/netty substance will signal a red flag and you will get catalyst codes. Therefore to complete the fix, you must install an oxygen sensor spacer to limit the fumes seen by the monitoring o2 sensor. See attached. The spacer is screwed into the oxygen sensor before finally being screwed into the exhaust.

Whichever route you take out of the 2 options, a "self-learn reset" (google it) must be carried out to get maximum benefits from the repair.

Cheers

Good day Nissparts . I'm currently facing this issue.

I got a foreign used Camry 2010 XLE last month. It came up with P0420. I took it to a mechanic, he said the cats. have been removed. We got two Tokunbo cats at Zuba. The code came back a few days later after cats were fixed.

Along the line, it started showing P0037: H02 Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 2.

I took it elsewhere for proper diagnosis. The man said the cats I bought were almost gone, they are blocked, preventing their full efficiency.

He said I'll need to get 3 NEW cats. I was thinking my car has only 2 cats?

Also said I'll need to get two NEW 02 sensors.

Alternatively, according to him, he'd do reprogramming on my car and the check engine and the other warning light would go off completely (a car with the zigzags behind it), I'll have a better mpg, also, the heat in the bonnet would reduce (the temperature gauge on my dashboard is always below the half mark tho).

It's my first car so I don't know much about fuel efficiency. But I get from 16mpg to 26mpg (depends on the road).

He suggested I go for the reprogramming option as it is cheaper and if I go with the first option, the cats could go bad in a year's time.

What are your thoughts please? I just want to warning lights on my dashboard to be fixed and have a better mpg. cheesy

I've also noticed the first mechanic that we'd have to return the two cats we bought at Zuba. I get them at 100k.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by livenletlive: 9:59am On Aug 03, 2020
nissparts:
Continued:

1. Replace the catalyst with a brand new unit(Note I said brand new unit. If you attempt a tokunbo replacement, you'll either get one which has been filled with the "ladipo" element in the exhaust pot or you'll get one fresh off a used vehicle which may have also failed as well)

2. Hollow out the exhaust pots and rid them completely of the foamy/netty substance inside them. Now because your car's computer has been programmed to accept a certain level of exhaust fumes to be detected by the monitoring o2 sensor, the consequent rush of exhaust fumes which it will detect in the absence of the foamy/netty substance will signal a red flag and you will get catalyst codes. Therefore to complete the fix, you must install an oxygen sensor spacer to limit the fumes seen by the monitoring o2 sensor. See attached. The spacer is screwed into the oxygen sensor before finally being screwed into the exhaust.

Whichever route you take out of the 2 options, a "self-learn reset" (google it) must be carried out to get maximum benefits from the repair.

Cheers
Please can you do same check on Rav4 2006? Where's your location and.contact in Laģos?
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by livenletlive: 1:41pm On Aug 03, 2020
Please can you do a check on Rav4 2006 as well for this catalyst issue? Lemme your contact.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by abumeinben(m): 2:07pm On Oct 07, 2020
nissparts:

68 Iwaya road, Onike, Yaba.
Please call to schedule an appointment before coming

Boss just got this Corolla 05 and the check engine light is on. Fuel consumption seems high. Was told it got to do with the catalyst. Did my research and I'm getting something else that catalytic converter absence does cause low MPG. What do you advise...?

Me in Lagos.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Nembeboi: 8:45pm On Dec 28, 2020
Furovictor@gmail.com

nissparts:
If
anyone needs a pictorial description of this process, drop your email and I'll send it to you. It's a word document with pictures and too heavy to upload here.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by dessie234(m): 6:36pm On Oct 29, 2022
Currently use a acura rdx 2007 with excessive fuel consumption.... I need help
9mpg
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Macmilla(m): 9:24am On Jan 18
nissparts:
Continued:

Cheers
Old post, pardon me.
My 2005 accord 4cyl is catless, so I used this to try to eliminate the low efficiency code. Now I have the p0139. I'm confused.
Note: Before I got this spacer, I plugged the sensor hole with a spoilt sensor and left my working sensor under the passenger car seat but connected. I had it like this for a month while I was waiting for the spacer to arrive and there was absolutely no exhaust related codes. No cat codes and no sensor codes. But as soon as I installed the working sensor in its proper hole with the spacer, I got the p0139 on first drive. Please what did I do wrong?
Picture of the spacer I used is attached.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Would You Buy This Kit Car For N26m? (photos) / Pictures Of The Car That Got Burnt At Onipan Bus Stop / This Bicycle Can Be Folded, Charged And Be Used To Charge Other Devices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.