Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo (5660 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / The Culture Lounge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ezeagu(m): 11:29pm On Jul 15, 2012
ChinenyeN:

I'm doubtful that there's that much of a displacement in age between northern and southern axes that one would consider it a factor.

Some northern settlements run back to at least 800. Most southern settlements especially in Abia State don't go back further than 1300, that's not including the 200 year old villages. Northern Igboland is also more populated.

Abagworo:
The riverine Igbo is where Benin influence stops and it is around Onitsha, Ogbaru, Oguta, Egbema, Ndoni and Ogba but a further existence of trace Benin influence is found in Okija, Uli, Mgbidi, Orlu, Oru , Oroatta/Ikwerre/Etche all the way to Ohafia in Northeast Abia State. Ohafia people believe they are from Benin.

I doubt anything from Ohafia or any other town close to it concerning Benin is widespread let alone pre-colonial. You usually hear about it when Igbo groups claim others but it has never come up out of peoples theories. This may even be the same for Ikwere and some others.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 12:07am On Jul 16, 2012
ezeagu: Some northern settlements run back to at least 800. Most southern settlements especially in Abia State don't go back further than 1300, that's not including the 200 year old villages. Northern Igboland is also more populated.
I want to contend the premise, but seeing that you're speaking on settlements, I can understand why you would say "much older". I still don't see age being a pronounced factor in the northern axis' city-states vs the southern axis' -land concept though.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 6:56am On Jul 16, 2012
Abagworo:

This is what you should have written and not dispute people's origin. I have mentioned it times without number that Nri is the ingredient that completes Igbo if it was a soup. Without the Nri elements like "Ofo na Ogu" Omenala, Echichi, Igbu nshi,Ubochi(eke, afor,orie,nkwo) Nze na Ozo, Igu afo/New yam etc then Igbo becomes something else. Many Igbo groups have some of these while others have all.
i am not disputing any person's origin but am saying that igbos who are not of eri descent are very few and those people are not really igbos but igbonised people. Eri people in aro and ngwa must have been too many more than the foreigners that they could be able to influence those people in everything.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 7:02am On Jul 16, 2012
ChinenyeN:
You will do well to leave Ngwa and Aro out your nonsense.
you're neither full blooded ngwa nor aro at all. Why are you crying for them. They are descendants of eri brother mixed with other people who came across the river.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 9:35am On Jul 16, 2012
Stop assuming based on your personal feelings.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 10:28am On Jul 16, 2012
Abagworo: Stop assuming based on your personal feelings.
if you're actually refering to me;know it now, i am not assuming but saying the truth. Prove me wrong if you can, even with all those your written fallacies.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 11:09am On Jul 16, 2012
ChinenyeN: grin Yep. I intentionally meant to write Aro; learned it from reading your writing. I figured it would get your attention.

Lol. It worked cool

Abagworo:
the way to Ohafia in Northeast Abia State. Ohafia people believe they are from Benin.

I've never heard of Ohafia claiming to be from Benin. Please, let's try to be serious when discussing these topics so as to avoid introducing confusion. Ohafia people share blood relations with people from Ihechiowa, Ututu, Abam, Edda and (by extension) Arochukwu. These groups are known as the Cross River Igbo and their origins can be partly traced to east of the river Cross River.

I'm getting tired of this Benin origin thing. Very soon, people will say that the Efik claim Benin origin.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 12:16pm On Jul 16, 2012
You people should wait. I am still under a very serious study. I will after that give you a complete and nearer- to-perfect history of the igbos. Not this fallacy u are carrying about
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 2:37pm On Jul 16, 2012
Antivirus92: You people should wait. I am still under a very serious study. I will after that give you a complete and nearer- to-perfect history of the igbos. Not this fallacy u are carrying about
I have complete faith that you will regurgitate nothing more than balderdash.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 7:34pm On Jul 16, 2012
ChinenyeN:
balderbash the only english you sabi? Mind ur business seriously!
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:02pm On Jul 16, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Whats the relation between Ngwa and Ikwerre? I saw your signature and got curious.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 9:39pm On Jul 16, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Whats the relation between Ngwa and Ikwerre? I saw your signature and got curious.

Nnaa aghotalukwam nkena.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Malawian(m): 9:40pm On Jul 16, 2012
Only amongst we igbos where you find people who have not ever seen their village before coming on NL to write about igbo history. We igbos are a unique bunch arent we? We have all manner of people amongst us; even nut.jobs gringringrin. Ihe agha mere igbo....
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Malawian(m): 9:52pm On Jul 16, 2012
To all the nut jobs amongst us, i might have a solution for you! There is this commentor on sahara reporters that go by the nom "pastor commander samyong onwuzulike" honestly, his posts can make a mad man sane immediately cheesy grin. Do yourselves a favour will ya? A mind is a terrible thing to waste! And i mean all you "bini descendants" trying to claim igbo by force!
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 5:21am On Jul 17, 2012
Malawian: To all the nut jobs amongst us, i might have a solution for you! There is this commentor on sahara reporters that go by the nom "pastor commander samyong onwuzulike" honestly, his posts can make a mad man sane immediately cheesy grin. Do yourselves a favour will ya? A mind is a terrible thing to waste! And i mean all you "bini descendants" trying to claim igbo by force!
GBAM
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 5:35am On Jul 17, 2012
NRI PRIEST: Whats the relation between Ngwa and Ikwerre? I saw your signature and got curious.
My signature doesn't have anything to do with Ikwere though. Instead, it's like how you might say "nwadiani na-ekene"
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 9:22am On Jul 17, 2012
ChinenyeN:
My signature doesn't have anything to do with Ikwere though. Instead, it's like how you might say "nwadiani na-ekene"

Thought it means "izu ka nma na nne" or "siblings do agree".
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Obiagu1(m): 8:59pm On Jul 17, 2012
Is afonne not siblings?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 10:08pm On Jul 17, 2012
Obiagu1: Is afonne not siblings?
It is.

Abagworo: Thought it means "izu ka nma na nne" or "siblings do agree".
You could interpret it that way.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:59pm On Jul 17, 2012
@Chinenye,is your mother an Ikwere woman ?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 12:20am On Jul 18, 2012
NRI PRIEST: @Chinenye,is your mother an Ikwere woman ?
Ochi. No, she isn't.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ejiyke2007(m): 4:16am On Jul 26, 2012
odumchi:

Oh ok, now I see what you mean. The Ọlu (aka Orlu) are a people in northern Imo state who dwell in a few autonomous communities including Orlu and Amaigbo.Amaigbo is in nwangele LGA,you must count this people Amandugba/Umundugba and others in Isu LGA in Imo State thats the g
roup of Isuama you can also read About Isuama or Isu LGA Imo state for more informations goole wikipedia Isu LGA Imo state

I perfectly understand what you mean. I think the Isuama presence was felt mainly through the Isuama version of Igbo which was basically the Igbo spoken in southern Anambra and northern Imo. With the adoption of a new version of centralized Igbo came the decline of Isu awareness.

Anyway... @Everyone,

I'd like to thank you all very much for your worthwhile contributions. If anyone would like to say more, please feel free to.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Natural Cure For Genital & Anal Warts / BUSSA: Igbo-barbadian Warrior And Freedom Fighter / See The Origin Of All Nigerian Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.