Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,052 members, 7,956,930 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:51 PM

Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo (5750 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / The Culture Lounge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Edomaala: 12:48pm On Jun 09, 2012
mbatuku2:

I meant an expanding factor. Like in the case of Ngwa people, from their original ancestral settlement in Aba, they started expanding to other places to reduce the competition caused by overpopulation.
I think what you mean by original ancestral settlement is okpu alangwa,Nvusi,Ntiagh,Abayi,Nsulu this where the ancestral settlement and also the first city state from here the expanded and establish other city state/villeage state that is now part of isi alangwa nourth/sourth lga,osisioma ngwa and ugwunabor/Aba south where the assimilate with another igbo group Asa people of ndorki that occupy present day ukwa west in abia state and obigbo in rivers state also Obi ngwa and Aba north lga where a migration from Okpu alangwa, Nvusi, Abayi, Ntiagh, Nsulu establish city states and villeage states inwhich the later merge together and establish diffrent confederetion /repulic kingdom .e.g. mborko the head qurters of obi ngwa is a confederetion between Ntiagh,Nsulu and Nvusi.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ezeagu(m): 2:00am On Jul 14, 2012
It may also have to do with migration and age. Northern Igbo land which I will include areas around Owere for now is much older than Souther Igboland in terms of people currently populating these areas. Look at the difference between areas Owere and those over the Imo which are only a few hundred years old.

1 Like

Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 6:32am On Jul 14, 2012
Everything you all have said here including the op is totally rubbish,false and a mere fabrication. Again this southern and northern igbo stuff is a fairytale and only exist in nairaland and not in igboland. Someone just opened his mouth to say that some communities are older than the word "igbo". Can somebody be older than his father?.the truth is that in olden days communities usually have their name after their immediate anscestor. You people have constantly refer to ndiigbo as different people which automatically lie. You said that isuama is older than igbo but if i have to go to isuama today or meet the people,i will those who have "igbo" as prefix or suffix in their surname.examples igboanugo,igbokwe,igboesika etc,do u silly people know that some surname have passed so many ages,centuries without being changed. Again have you madmen taken time for once to study the origin of igbo language? Do you know that a language starts from one place before spreading?.if you say that igbos are different groups people who settled in todays igboland,how did the language became one (forget dialect/accent). How possible is it for a different group of people who settled in far enugu state have the same language with another different group who settled in imo/abia?. So all those groups on settling in today igboland have no language,custom and tradition? How are all these things the same in igboland? Are there groups that colonise the others? The igbo language and to a great extent the tradition and customs can be traced to NRI and no other place even "aro".why is it very hard for we ndigbo to accept one anscestral linage?.the language igbo originates from nri as history made it to be,then what language were the aros,isuamas,ngwas speaking before accepting igbolanguage? Who taught those people the igbo language?.why have you people constantly been writing rubbish about the igbo people on nairaland? Again ,there are groups like igala,bini,ibibio etc that exist in igbo society today,those people far back got mixed with the igbos who live in the boundaries like nsukka and onitsha people because of trade. Some of these people in few number settled in igboland and got igbonised.they knew that they are not igbos but they have accepted the igbo identity,and some of these people use to pass information from generation to generation to their children that they are not originally igbos but were igbonised.so if you happen to fall among these groups you have no right to write the igbo history cos you're not igbo.names like arochukwu,ngwa,isuama can be directly translated into english unlike the name NRI which have no meaning in igbolanguage,the cause is that nri as a name have existed before igbolanguage was formed while those other names only came into existence after the founding of igbolanguage.physical appearance is another factor that shows that igbos are one apart from few igbonised people.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 6:48am On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: Everything you all have said here including the op is totally rubbish,false and a mere fabrication. Again this southern and northern igbo stuff is a fairytale and only exist in nairaland and not in igboland. Someone just opened his mouth to say that some communities are older than the word "igbo". Can somebody be older than his father?.the truth is that in olden days communities usually have their name after their immediate anscestor. You people have constantly refer to ndiigbo as different people which automatically lie. You said that isuama is older than igbo but if i have to go to isuama today or meet the people,i will those who have "igbo" as prefix or suffix in their surname.examples igboanugo,igbokwe,igboesika etc,do u silly people know that some surname have passed so many ages,centuries without being changed. Again have you madmen taken time for once to study the origin of igbo language? Do you know that a language starts from one place before spreading?.if you say that igbos are different groups people who settled in todays igboland,how did the language became one (forget dialect/accent). How possible is it for a different group of people who settled in far enugu state have the same language with another different group who settled in imo/abia?. So all those groups on settling in today igboland have no language,custom and tradition? How are all these things the same in igboland? Are there groups that colonise the others? The igbo language and to a great extent the tradition and customs can be traced to NRI and no other place even "aro".why is it very hard for we ndigbo to accept one anscestral linage?.the language igbo originates from nri as history made it to be,then what language were the aros,isuamas,ngwas speaking before accepting igbolanguage? Who taught those people the igbo language?.why have you people constantly been writing rubbish about the igbo people on nairaland? Again ,there are groups like igala,bini,ibibio etc that exist in igbo society today,those people far back got mixed with the igbos who live in the boundaries like nsukka and onitsha people because of trade. Some of these people in few number settled in igboland and got igbonised.they knew that they are not igbos but they have accepted the igbo identity,and some of these people use to pass information from generation to generation to their children that they are not originally igbos but were igbonised.so if you happen to fall among these groups you have no right to write the igbo history cos you're not igbo.names like arochukwu,ngwa,isuama can be directly translated into english unlike the name NRI which have no meaning in igbolanguage,the cause is that nri as a name have existed before igbolanguage was formed while those other names only came into existence after the founding of igbolanguage.physical appearance is another factor that shows that igbos are one apart from few igbonised people.

This is rubbish. I don't even know where to begin.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ezeagu(m): 7:05am On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: Everything you all have said here including the op is totally rubbish,false and a mere fabrication. Again this southern and northern igbo stuff is a fairytale and only exist in nairaland and not in igboland. Someone just opened his mouth to say that some communities are older than the word "igbo". Can somebody be older than his father?.the truth is that in olden days communities usually have their name after their immediate anscestor. You people have constantly refer to ndiigbo as different people which automatically lie. You said that isuama is older than igbo but if i have to go to isuama today or meet the people,i will those who have "igbo" as prefix or suffix in their surname.examples igboanugo,igbokwe,igboesika etc,do u silly people know that some surname have passed so many ages,centuries without being changed. Again have you madmen taken time for once to study the origin of igbo language? Do you know that a language starts from one place before spreading?.if you say that igbos are different groups people who settled in todays igboland,how did the language became one (forget dialect/accent). How possible is it for a different group of people who settled in far enugu state have the same language with another different group who settled in imo/abia?. So all those groups on settling in today igboland have no language,custom and tradition? How are all these things the same in igboland? Are there groups that colonise the others? The igbo language and to a great extent the tradition and customs can be traced to NRI and no other place even "aro".why is it very hard for we ndigbo to accept one anscestral linage?.the language igbo originates from nri as history made it to be,then what language were the aros,isuamas,ngwas speaking before accepting igbolanguage? Who taught those people the igbo language?.why have you people constantly been writing rubbish about the igbo people on nairaland? Again ,there are groups like igala,bini,ibibio etc that exist in igbo society today,those people far back got mixed with the igbos who live in the boundaries like nsukka and onitsha people because of trade. Some of these people in few number settled in igboland and got igbonised.they knew that they are not igbos but they have accepted the igbo identity,and some of these people use to pass information from generation to generation to their children that they are not originally igbos but were igbonised.so if you happen to fall among these groups you have no right to write the igbo history cos you're not igbo.names like arochukwu,ngwa,isuama can be directly translated into english unlike the name NRI which have no meaning in igbolanguage,the cause is that nri as a name have existed before igbolanguage was formed while those other names only came into existence after the founding of igbolanguage.physical appearance is another factor that shows that igbos are one apart from few igbonised people.

Nri is only a thousand years old. The origin of the Igbo in a broader sense would be around the Okigwe-Nsukka axis 5000 years ago. I don't know the meaning of Nri, but it changes with dialect (Nshi, Nhi) which means it has a meaning in Igbo. But you have a point that the word Igbo existed before among the Isuama. The Northern and Southern thing exists only that you wouldn't hear "north" and "south", you may hear 'hm! Ndi há-há-há', or 'ndi mba miri', and of course 'ndi wawa'.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 7:40am On Jul 14, 2012
ChinenyeN:

This is rubbish. I don't even know where to begin.
begin with your niger-delta bush village. You are not an igbo,so i don't know why u are taking medicine on another person's headache. Go first and study the history of ur confused tribe before studying igbo.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 7:43am On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: begin with your niger-delta bush village. You are not an igbo,so i don't know why u are taking medicine on another person's headache. Go first and study the history of ur confused tribe before studying igbo.
Seems to me that you are either a newcomer or a not-so-bright individual, or maybe both.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 7:48am On Jul 14, 2012
ChinenyeN:
Seems to me that you are either a newcomer or a not-so-bright individual, or maybe both.
Bleep you off! I have read alot of ur posts and topics, they all point to igbos are not one,south&north igbo etc. If you hate us,we don't care. We are one and of the same anscestor,take it or leave it. You have only one way of reasoning.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 8:01am On Jul 14, 2012
ezeagu:

Nri is only a thousand years old. The origin of the Igbo in a broader sense would be around the Okigwe-Nsukka axis 5000 years ago. I don't know the meaning of Nri, but it changes with dialect (Nshi, Nhi) which means it has a meaning in Igbo. But you have a point that the word Igbo existed before among the Isuama. The Northern and Southern thing exists only that you wouldn't hear "north" and "south", you may hear 'hm! Ndi há-há-há', or 'ndi mba miri', and of course 'ndi wawa'.
NRI has no direct igbo translation and neither is it a dialect if u care to know.and again nri have existed more than ten thousand years ago.go for a thorough research.NRI is the anscestral home of ndiigbo.even in that nsukka axis you mentioned,there are villages which have their names like obanri and all that,showing that they are of nri descent.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ezeagu(m): 8:11am On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: NRI has no direct igbo translation and neither is it a dialect if u care to know.and again nri have existed more than ten thousand years ago.go for a thorough research.NRI is the anscestral home of ndiigbo.even in that nsukka axis you mentioned,there are villages which have their names like obanri and all that,showing that they are of nri descent.

Nri is named after the son of Eri who live 1200 years ago. If you read their history they explain their settlement and their contribution towards Igbo society. Even the wilder stories of Eri migrating from somewhere else claims that he found people in the Igbo area. Nri can't be ten thousand years old where did you get this from?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 8:38am On Jul 14, 2012
ezeagu:

Nri is named after the son of Eri who live 1200 years ago. If you read their history they explain their settlement and their contribution towards Igbo society. Even the wilder stories of Eri migrating from somewhere else claims that he found people in the Igbo area. Nri can't be ten thousand years old where did you get this from?
so those people ERI met when he settled in igboland are cultureless,customless and languageless as their embraced Eri language/custom and tradition? Today the most igbo culture/tradition is being credited to Eri. And again ,if eri is a stranger among the people,why was his son nri's linage being called the linage of priests in the whole of igbo given that his father was a stranger. So many people may fabricate so many things and post it in the internet as history.so just use ur brain,use what u see, hear and read together.if u combine these three together and reshuffle them wisely ,then you will know the truth.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 1:31pm On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: so those people ERI met when he settled in igboland are cultureless,customless and languageless as their embraced Eri language/custom and tradition? Today the most igbo culture/tradition is being credited to Eri. And again ,if eri is a stranger among the people,why was his son nri's linage being called the linage of priests in the whole of igbo given that his father was a stranger. So many people may fabricate so many things and post it in the internet as history.so just use ur brain,use what u see, hear and read together.if u combine these three together and reshuffle them wisely ,then you will know the truth.
So you are that type of Anambra. I see.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 2:03pm On Jul 14, 2012
I still repeat myself that there is a difference between North and South Igbo in origin. I have taken my time to research and open a thread on Nairaland in which the origin of different clans were written as they believe and not me fabricating and imposing. Nri is the origin of Umunri lineage and we all have our different origins. Oguta for one traces the origin of most families from across the Niger and mostly Aboh and then Benin, Isu and Arochukwu.

Igbo can never be united if we refuse to accept our obvious differences.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 3:46pm On Jul 14, 2012
Abagworo: I still repeat myself that there is a difference between North and South Igbo in origin. I have taken my time to research and open a thread on Nairaland in which the origin of different clans were written as they believe and not me fabricating and imposing. Nri is the origin of Umunri lineage and we all have our different origins. Oguta for one traces the origin of most families from across the Niger and mostly Aboh and then Benin, Isu and Arochukwu.

Igbo can never be united if we refuse to accept our obvious differences.
we are not even united. I personally thought that we are united and one until you taught me here on nairaland that we're not one. You people can be what ever thing we want to be, as long as igbo is concerned,nri/eri comes to mind. You confused ur self, if one claims bini or igala origin ,then that person is not an igbo but an igbonised person and therefore should not talk when igbos are talking about their history. Again this rubbish you are talking about is always felt in the communities living in igbo boundaries with another tribe. So those immigrants are not igbo enough to talk. About 95% of igbo population are of eri/nri descent.so the other few are igbonised. From anambra to enugu , from abia to imo and ebonyi, you will find Eri descendants even among few people across the bridge. So igbo is Eri and Eri is igbo ! Igbonised people are not included
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 3:54pm On Jul 14, 2012
ChinenyeN:
So you are that type of Anambra. I see.
Mind your business seriously and stop puting confussion and chaos among brothers just because you are not one of them.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 5:17pm On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: Mind your business seriously and stop puting confussion and chaos among brothers just because you are not one of them.
I am minding my business. I've come across your type before, Anambra who don't know a thing about the communities south of them, yet think it proper to argue orgins, history, culture and society with members from those communities, as if they have the authority. It is ignorance. I'm not surprised though, because this seems to be the trend from most zealot Anambra.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:29pm On Jul 14, 2012
This is indeed an interesting discussion; The ppl Eri met on arrival are called the " Adama Nri" and they are still present today and they know who they are. I tried to post a link to their website but it presently down.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:31pm On Jul 14, 2012
Chinenye,I thought your father is an Ngwa?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 5:31pm On Jul 14, 2012
ChinenyeN:
I am minding my business. I've come across your type before, Anambra who don't know a thing about the communities south of them, yet think it proper to argue orgins, history, culture and society with members from those communities, as if they have the authority. It is ignorance. I'm not surprised though, because this seems to be the trend from most zealot Anambra.
south of my anambra are fellow igbos like me. Unless you have to move to the extreme (i.e the igbo bounadry) that you will find mix people like those ones who were not naturally igbos. So i know my people very well and it's only on nairaland that i've heard such claims from people and from a particular set of people always. Igbo is a tribe and not a settlement as they lied about it to be.GO and ur papa about ur own people and leave igbos alone abeg.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 5:34pm On Jul 14, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Chinenye,I thought your father is an Ngwa?
You thought correctly, unlike this Antivirus individual. It goes to show the kind of person I'm dealing with here; someone who apparently doesn't even have their facts straight, but yet wants to spit drivel about whole peoples.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 5:40pm On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: south of my anambra are fellow igbos like me.
No. South of your Anambra are fellow Igbo who you know nothing about.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:41pm On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: we are not even united. I personally thought that we are united and one until you taught me here on nairaland that we're not one. You people can be what ever thing we want to be, as long as igbo is concerned,nri/eri comes to mind. You confused ur self, if one claims bini or igala origin ,then that person is not an igbo but an igbonised person and therefore should not talk when igbos are talking about their history. Again this rubbish you are talking about is always felt in the communities living in igbo boundaries with another tribe. So those immigrants are not igbo enough to talk. About 95% of igbo population are of eri/nri descent.so the other few are igbonised. From anambra to enugu , from abia to imo and ebonyi, you will find Eri descendants even among few people across the bridge. So igbo is Eri and Eri is igbo ! Igbonised people are not included

Bros,I will need you to slow down a bit before we continue; There is not doubt that the Eri/Nri,Aro and Isu commands the major stock of the IGBO but saying that any groups who is not of Nri/Eri isnt true IGBO is disrespectful. We are trying to unite all IGBO and not bring division in our midst. Daalu nwanne.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 5:41pm On Jul 14, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: This is indeed an interesting discussion; The ppl Eri met on arrival are called the " Adama Nri" and they are still present today and they know who they are. I tried to post a link to their website but it presently down.
you don't know the meaning of adama nri.adama nri is related to nri .even though i can't really tell the meaning and duties but adama is one of the functionaries of nri kingdom just like the priests. In my home town Oraukwu in anambra. Our relative was given the tittle OBI ADAMA. We are of nri descent, so adama are not the people eri met
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:43pm On Jul 14, 2012
ChinenyeN:
You thought correctly, unlike this Antivirus individual. It goes to show the kind of person I'm dealing with here; someone who apparently doesn't even have their facts straight, but yet wants to spit drivel about whole peoples.

Dont be offended,brother.... Antivirus will come around.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 5:48pm On Jul 14, 2012
ChinenyeN:
from this your mouth you said that you are a nwadiala(i.e ur mum is 4rm ngwa) and from this same mouth you said that you are from south south. Now from that same mouth you claim igbo today! Hmmm! Identity crisis! You should know ur self first before knowing about ndiigbo
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 6:00pm On Jul 14, 2012
ChinenyeN:
No. South of your Anambra are fellow Igbo who you know nothing about.
anyi adighi confused ka unu nwa!
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Malawian(m): 6:01pm On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: you don't know the meaning of adama nri.adama nri is related to nri .even though i can't really tell the meaning and duties but adama is one of the functionaries of nri kingdom just like the priests. In my home town Oraukwu in anambra. Our relative was given the tittle OBI ADAMA. We are of nri descent, so adama are not the people eri met
abeg bros, me self na from oraukwu. Me just dey hear about nri descent. Na woah. If na true, na im be say i no even sabi much about myself. I don Dey go ask my people now!
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 6:09pm On Jul 14, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Bros,I will need you to slow down a bit before we continue; There is not doubt that the Eri/Nri,Aro and Isu commands the major stock of the IGBO but saying that any groups who is not of Nri/Eri isnt true IGBO is disrespectful. We are trying to unite all IGBO and not bring division in our midst. Daalu nwanne.
where are these aros? Cos i can't find them in anambra,who are these isu cos i don't know them.where are they from? But eri people can be found every where in ana igbo.isu ,aro,eri who have the igbo language/tradition/custom,then if the answer is eri, what language/tradition/custom were these other people using prior to the igbo language? Then that means that some people are not igbos by root but were igbonised.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 6:11pm On Jul 14, 2012
Malawian: abeg bros, me self na from oraukwu. Me just dey hear about nri descent. Na woah. If na true, na im be say i no even sabi much about myself. I don Dey go ask my people now!
nwanne kedu ije?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:27pm On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: where are these aros? Cos i can't find them in anambra,who are these isu cos i don't know them.where are they from? But eri people can be found every where in ana igbo.isu ,aro,eri who have the igbo language/tradition/custom,then if the answer is eri, what language/tradition/custom were these other people using prior to the igbo language? Then that means that some people are not igbos by root but were igbonised.

If you dont know about Aro or Isu you should research about them...There Aro settlers in Imo,Anambra and Ebonyi and so is Isu who also has communities in Anambra,Imo,Abia and Ebonyi. Hell,we even have Aro settlers in my hometown of UMUOJI in Idenmili north which is also an Nri decendants. About the language thing; Remember the adage "Igbo na asu na onu na onu mana akwaa ukwala obulu ofu".
Ekeneem gi.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:29pm On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: anyi adighi confused ka unu nwa!

How does this help? Who is "ununwa"... Nwanne jili nwayo ka ofe lolalo zueli gi nni.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 6:31pm On Jul 14, 2012
He doesn't even know Isu, his own immediate neighbor south of him. Yet, he wants to spew drivel about those even further south of Isu. And some people are still wonder why others sometimes look at Anambra people a certain way.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Early Colonial Views Of Igbos And Yorubas In Sierra-leone.. / Nigerians & Foreign Accents / See The Origin Of All Nigerian Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.