Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,692 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy (4392 Views)

Bayelsa Speaker Refuses To Vacate Seat After A'court Sacking / Charles Eruka Reporting Live In Rivers Amidst Gunshot (pic) / 'Ijaw Won’t Take Insult From ACN' — Konbowei Benson Friday, Bayelsa Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by Nobody: 5:54am On Jun 05, 2012
A new controversy yesterday hit the political terrain of Bayelsa State with the impeachment of the Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Hon. Friday Kombowei Benson, after only three months in office.

The impeachment, which was carried out in a record time of 30 minutes,led to the emergence of the Former Deputy Speaker under the Timipre Sylva administration, Hon. Fini Angaye emerging as the new Speaker of the House.

Hon. Kombowei Benson was impeached at about 4.00pm with 16 members of the 24-member assembly present .They claimed they had the support of other members made up of the leadership of the Assembly.

The impeachment proceedings took less than 30 minutes as the members convened for the singular purpose with the deputy speaker absent and the deposed speaker having been absent from the state for some time.

The member representing Ogbia Constituency II, Obedience Emoton moved the motion for the impeachment and a former speaker, Nestor Binabo nominated Angaye, his former deputy for the position which was accepted by all present.

Binabo who was speaker during the tenure of former governor, Timipre Sylva resigned as he comes from the same Bayelsa West Senatorial District with the incumbent governor, Seriake Dickson.

The new Speaker, Fini Angaye a former deputy speaker told newsmen immediately after his elevation that “I have now become their servant and at any point in time when I go astray, they should correct me.”

It was not immediately clear if the governor influenced the impeachment which was carried out under heavy security with armed policemen guarding the entrance to the assembly . But LEADERSHIP gathered that the members, numbering 20 were at the weekend in Lagos to attend the Child dedication ceremony of one of the aides to Dame Patience Jonathan, Waripamnowei Dudafagh.

But the locking out of the Media Crew attached to the State House of Assembly and the entrance of the Government House correspondent of the African Independent Television(AIT) and the Nigerian Television Authority(NTA) raised suspicion of the involvement of the Governor in the new power play.

The impeachment of Kombowei did not come as a surprise to many political observers in the state as he was described as unpopular with both his colleagues and members of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) but allegedly forced on them by the wife of the President, Dame Patience Jonathan and other serving members of the Governor Seriake Dickson cabinet.

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/26553/2012/06/05/bayelsa_speaker_impeached_amidst_controversy.html
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by Silva79(f): 9:30am On Jun 05, 2012
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by Cheggoon(m): 10:27am On Jun 05, 2012
wetin concern me......!mtcrewwwwwww
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by daywatcher: 10:27am On Jun 05, 2012
when elephants fight..it is the grass that suffer
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by Nobody: 10:33am On Jun 05, 2012
Cheg-goon:
wetin concern me......!mtcrewwwwwww
Abi o
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by stolenstone: 10:42am On Jun 05, 2012
choi!!!! These guys don kick out Kombowei sharp-sharp Na wah ooo. Other state legislatives should take a cue and help wipe this country clean of non-performing, looting corrupt elected public officials.
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by intelligen(m): 10:42am On Jun 05, 2012
Can u imagine d heartlesness n insensitivity of our so call leaders?wile d nation is mourning,they re busy impeachng..very selfish idiots..i wishd they were in dat plane
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by lafuria1(m): 10:45am On Jun 05, 2012
All politics and self intrest. The people they claim to govern are secondary issue.
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by omenziate(m): 10:51am On Jun 05, 2012
Why no b all of una dey dt Dana plane crash sef. Useless pple.
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by SkyBlue1: 10:52am On Jun 05, 2012
intelligen: Can u imagine d heartlesness n insensitivity of our so call leaders?wile d nation is mourning,they re busy impeachng..very selfish idiots..i wishd they were in dat plane

? ? ? What you are saying or trying to insinuate makes no sense. The world does not stop because plane crashed in Lagos. The real question should be wether the impeachment further enshrines deocracy and good governance in Bayelsa.
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by greall1: 10:54am On Jun 05, 2012
La la la laa ko kan aye
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by gegee(m): 10:58am On Jun 05, 2012
una don start for yenegoa again?
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by anishe(m): 10:59am On Jun 05, 2012
There names self are frighteneing. Who christened them with such horrible names? Just curious.

But how in anyway does this concern me?

GEJ bleep.
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by Ibangap(m): 11:16am On Jun 05, 2012
And so? Next story pls.
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by ukpaku: 11:25am On Jun 05, 2012
old men makin nois bcus of moni when 9ga is murning. Bayelsa ppl self, i don tire 4 una o.
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by Paulego(m): 11:45am On Jun 05, 2012
Na wao. A state that has produced about 3 speakers between a space 2 years. Politics, an interesting game to play.
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by AnotherOkija: 12:31pm On Jun 05, 2012
This isnt going to end like this if I know my Bayelsa well...
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by free2ryhme: 1:36pm On Jun 05, 2012
if them like make then impeach the whole house na dem know....
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by tessyade: 2:26pm On Jun 05, 2012
Politics in bayelsa is somehow strange. Is like "impeachment" is the only word in their dictionary. And to think that our president is from this same state.
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by Okoga: 3:01pm On Jun 05, 2012
na them sabi
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by ochukoccna: 3:02pm On Jun 05, 2012
Saw this drama on AIT was dissapointed
No disrespect to anybody but the 'legislators' dressed like touts
The dude who moved the motion was in t-shirt &an armless jacket
So was the new speaker(t-shirt&cap)
Are they gangstas?
I dont think there's a prescribed dress mode but NDelta traditional dresses if not tucked in shirts&trousers would have sufficed
To think Bayelsa gets so much in revenue allocation?
Even 'blackman 'Obama was never stereotyped in sagging pants popularized by ghetto black people
SMH!
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by ochukoccna: 3:16pm On Jun 05, 2012
Saw this drama on AIT & was dissapointed
No disrespect to anybody but the 'legislators' dressed like touts
The dude who moved the motion was in t-shirt &an armless jacket
So was the new speaker(t-shirt&cap)
Are they gangstas?
I dont think there's a prescribed dress mode but NDelta traditional dresses if not tucked in shirts&trousers would have sufficed
To think Bayelsa gets so much in revenue allocation?
Even 'blackman 'Obama was never stereotyped in sagging pants popularized by ghetto black people
SMH!
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by dadicvila(m): 4:53pm On Jun 05, 2012
anishe: There names self are frighteneing. Who christened them with such horrible names? Just curious.

GEJ bleep.
shut up ur rotten mouth
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by omenziate(m): 6:39pm On Jun 05, 2012
These Bayelsa lawmakers look like Gangstars o. See as dem rugged for TV. Dese ones fit use guns pass Chow yun Fat sef.
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jun 05, 2012
anishe: There names self are frighteneing. Who christened them with such horrible names? Just curious.

GEJ bleep.
. And u tink ur anishe of å name makes much sense,if u av notin sensible to say just move on to d next topic.
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by iykak47: 2:32pm On Jun 07, 2012
:0
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by iykak47: 2:33pm On Jun 07, 2012
shocked
Re: Bayelsa Speaker Kombowei Benson Impeached Amidst Controversy by iykak47: 2:36pm On Jun 07, 2012
shockedshocked

(1) (Reply)

2015: Buhari for President!!! / Breaking: Retired Primate Peter Akinola Kidnapped In Abeokuta / Radio Biafra, I.P.O.B, Secession Uproar Was Never Because GEJ Lost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.