Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,670 members, 7,955,439 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:55 AM

Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation (4656 Views)

Nigeria’s First Minister Of Sadness - By Haruna Mohammed Salisu / Igwe Aja Nwachukwu Is Dead! / Meet Hadi Sirika Katsina Billionaire Tipped To Be Nigeria's Minister Of Aviation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by faithin9ja: 11:25pm On Jun 05, 2012
This was posted on Facebook ( no tribalist comments please, read, understand and recognise Nigeria before most of you were born)

[1] This tragedy makes me really miss this gentleman Jaja Nwachukwu, Nigeria's first ever aviation minister who was in office between 1965 and 1966
[2] Most of the aviation laws in Nigeria today still bear his signature. It was he who initiated training programmes for Nigeria's first crop of flight and ground officers and the Aviation Training Centre, Zaria was established during his tenure.
[3] Jaja's visionary and upright zeal did not go well with his party, the NCNC - a party which saw Mr Blankson, Nigerian Airways board chairman and also the party's Central Working Committee chairman, as representing its interest in the spoils system.
[4] Jaja Nwachukwu fired and removed Blankson who felt himself beyond ministerial control and the NCNC demanded his reinstatement, threatening that otherwise, it would withdraw its Ministers from the coalition government.
[5] Tafawa Balewa, who had high respect and a soft spot for Jaja pleaded with him to reinstate Blankson and accept another Ministry but Nwachukwu refused.
[6] Balewa even asked his wife Rhoda Nwachukwu to plead with him, yet Jaja refused and tendered his resignation from parliament and as an executive member of government at midday on January 14, 1966.
[7] Balewa was yet to accept Nwachukwu's resignation when the army struck by midnight barely 12 hours later.
[8] When the coupists came to Nwachukwu's official residence, at 7, Okotie-Eboh Street Ikoyi, he looked through the window and asked the soldiers: "What are you boys doing here?" One of the soldiers replied: "Good morning, sir. But haven't you heard what is happening in the country?" To which he replied: "Yes. I know you boys have taken over the government." and the soldier said: "Do not be afraid, sir. We have come to protect you for being an honest government minister."
[9] Jaja Nwachukwu was also Nigeria's first speaker of the house of representatives, our first foreign minister and our first ever permanent representative to the United Nations
[10] There is no way he would have ever tolerated airlines cutting corners. No aviation minister has ever measured up to him since.
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by Nchara: 11:52pm On Jun 05, 2012
Thanks OP. You bet me to this. I wanted to create a thread about this unsong Nigerian.
This man is arguably one of the greatest Nigerians ever

I am surprised he has not be accorded the recognition he derserved
Re: Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by Nchara: 11:54pm On Jun 05, 2012
Jaja Anucha Wachuku (1 January 1918[1] – 7 November 1996), a Royal Prince of Ngwaland, "descendant of 20 generations of African chiefs in the Ibo country of Eastern Nigeria" [2] - was a Pan-Africanist; [3] and a globally distinguished Nigerian statesman, lawyer, politician, diplomat and humanitarian. He was the first Speaker of the Nigerian House of Representatives[4], as well as first Nigerian Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations [5]. Wachuku was also the first Nigerian Minister of Foreign Affairs. [6] O[b]n Thursday 30 September 2010, President Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria conferred on Wachuku a posthumous special Golden Jubilee Independence Anniversary Award for his outstanding contributions towards the development of Nigeria.[/b] [7] [8]

More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaja_Wachuku
Re: Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by Nchara: 11:56pm On Jun 05, 2012
''His paternal grandfather Wachuku Ogbaregbe, a distinguished Statesman and Merchant Prince was involved in the oil trade of that time with King Jaja of Opobo. It was in memory of the friendship, partnership and association of the Wachuku family with King Jaja of Opobo that he was named Jaja.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaja_Wachuku
Re: Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by faithin9ja: 8:01am On Jun 06, 2012
unfortunately a prophet is not without honour in his own country. just brings to mind our founding fathers efforts to run a new nation dramatically cut short by some 'young boys'
Re: Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 21, 2012
Never know he is from ngwa, i tot he is Opoba man in Rivers state
Re: Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by Abagworo(m): 5:39pm On Nov 21, 2012
@topic. The name is "Jaja Wachukwu" and not "Jaja Nwachukwu"
Re: Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by Afam4eva(m): 6:53pm On Nov 21, 2012
CHESSBOARD: Never know he is from ngwa, i tot he is Opoba man in Rivers state
At first i also thought he was from Rivers too because of the way hos own "WACHUKU" was being spelt.
Re: Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by Abagworo(m): 9:08pm On Nov 21, 2012
afam4eva:
At first i also thought he was from Rivers too because of the way hos own "WACHUKU" was being spelt.

I think the Southern half of Abia developed a naming autograph different from the North. Former Senate President is Adolph Wabara(Not Nwabara) while Minister for labour is Emeka Wogu(not Nwogu). A lot of people try to corrupt the spellings because they feel it should be in the Onwu autograph.
Re: Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by Dede1(m): 9:38pm On Nov 21, 2012
Abagworo:

I think the Southern half of Abia developed a naming autograph different from the North. Former Senate President is Adolph Wabara(Not Nwabara) while Minister for labour is Emeka Wogu(not Nwogu). A lot of people try to corrupt the spellings because they feel it should be in the Onwu autograph.

It is not true they try to develop naming convention different from what other Igbo are used to know. Rather, it is due to pronunciation of certain words by certain people hence the unfamiliar way the words are spelt.

There were some dudes who hailed from Ogwe and Obuzor both in Ukwa LGA that go by Wogu and Nwogu respectively.

In fact, during the era in discussion, there were two similar names, both were ministers and NCNC members. They were Aja Nwachukwu and Jaja Wachukwu

1 Like

Re: Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by Oyedey4u(m): 11:56pm On Oct 07, 2015
This is an Example of a YOUNG LEADER....
I am No LONGER A LEADER OF TOMORROW enough of the brainwashing..

[1] This tragedy makes me really miss this gentleman Jaja Nwachukwu, Nigeria's first ever
aviation minister who was in office between 1965
and 1966

[2] Most of the aviation laws in Nigeria today still
bear his signature. It was he who initiated training programmes for Nigeria's first crop of flight and
ground officers and the Aviation Training Centre,
Zaria was established during his tenure.

[3] Jaja's visionary and upright zeal did not go well with his party, the NCNC - a party which saw Mr Blankson, Nigerian Airways board chairman and also the party's Central Working Committee
chairman, as representing its interest in the spoils
system.

[4] Jaja Nwachukwu fired and removed Blankson
who felt himself beyond ministerial control and the NCNC demanded his reinstatement, threatening that otherwise, it would withdraw its Ministers from the coalition government.

[5] Tafawa Balewa, who had high respect and a soft spot for Jaja pleaded with him to reinstate Blankson and accept another Ministry but Nwachukwu refused.

[6] Balewa even asked his wife Rhoda Nwachukwu to plead with him, yet Jaja refused and tendered his resignation from parliament and as an executive member of government at midday on January 14, 1966.

[7] Balewa was yet to accept Nwachukwu's resignation when the army struck by midnight
barely 12 hours later.

[8] When the coupists came to Nwachukwu's
official residence, at 7, Okotie-Eboh Street Ikoyi, he
looked through the window and asked the
soldiers: "What are you boys doing here?" One of the soldiers replied: "Good morning, sir. But haven't you heard what is happening in the country?" To which he replied: "Yes. I know you boys have taken over the government." and the soldier said:
"Do not be afraid, sir. We have come to protect you for being an honest government minister."

[9] Jaja Nwachukwu was also Nigeria's first speaker of the house of representatives, our first foreign minister and our first ever permanent
representative to the United Nations

[10] There is no way he would have ever tolerated airlines cutting corners. No aviation minister has ever measured up to him since.
Re: Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by raumdeuter: 12:11am On Oct 08, 2015
[7] Balewa was yet to accept Nwachukwu's resignation when the army struck by midnight barely 12 hours later.
[8] When the coupists came to Nwachukwu's official residence, at 7, Okotie-Eboh Street Ikoyi, he looked through the window and asked the soldiers: "What are you boys doing here?" One of the soldiers replied: "Good morning, sir. But haven't you heard what is happening in the country?" To which he replied: "Yes. I know you boys have taken over the government." and the soldier said: "Do not be afraid, sir. We have come to protect you for being an honest government minister."

The above is interesting. An Ibo minister resigns 12 hours to a coup which killed other regional leaders

EVen the coup plotters(mostly Ibos) who were killing everyone went to Jaja's house, saw him and declared their solidarity to him

Does anyone still have a doubt that the coup was an ethnic coup to wipe out other regions?

1 Like

Re: Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation by Oyedey4u(m): 11:30am On Oct 09, 2015
raumdeuter:

The above is interesting. An Ibo minister resigns 12 hours to a coup which killed other regional leaders

EVen the coup plotters(mostly Ibos) who were killing everyone went to Jaja's house, saw him and declared their solidarity to him

Does anyone still have a doubt that the coup was an ethnic coup to wipe out other regions?

Here you go again.....

TRIBALISTIC MAN who never sees HEROIC ACTS.....

Also is the MAN Nationalistic here where he single handedly rejected a president and will not allow him into an OAU conference

Read More

In another story,

[11]. At the OAU (organization of African Unity)
conference in Addis Abba, He single handedly
rejected Togolese Leader (who came to power
through a bloody COUP that ousted the democratically elected government in Togo). Even
when the Ethiopian Emperor appealed to him
kneeling down, he vehemently rejected and Togo
was not represented at the meetings in the 60's. He explained that allowing them among
democratically elected leader will serve as patting them on the back for the wrong they've done while will encourage that act in other places... (he was only prophesying about the wave of Coups that was to blow around Africa).

[12] He also spoke against the use of Infant or Child soldiers by Ojukwu and he landed in Jail for that until Nigerian forces came to rescue him.

[13] .. Sir Tafawa Balewa calls Him "...the Bookish
Minister..."
He owns the single largest personal Library in West Africa as at that time...

[14] in 1963, He prevailed on the US through silent diplomatic relations to intervene on the South African Leader at that time to desist from handing down the Maximum punishment (death) to #Nelson_Mandela and his company for conspiracy.. He was one of those that Earned Nigeria world respect by his diplomatic approach...

Source: GOOgle SEARCH the man's name and READ
menwhile all the 14 points, I have extracted on my FB wall
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1160453963970051&id=100000163742135&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.1160453963970051%3Atl_objid.1160453963970051%3Athid.100000163742135%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1446361199%3A2115259654749176227

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

.... / This Simple Test Would End The APC/PDP War Of Popularity On Nairaland / Fresh Military Delivery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.