Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe (8223 Views)

Senate Presidency: APC May Conduct Primaries For Lawan, Saraki, Akume / IGP Receives $620,000 Subsidy Scam Video / 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by OCHIWOO: 12:03pm On Jun 19, 2012
As far as i'm concerned,i dont think the money otedola gave lawan was MARKED!!! And i also dont think d SSS knew bout dis sting operation poo! HOW COME D SSS HAVENT SAID ANYTHING BOUT THE SCANDAL? Who in the sss gave otedola marked 600,000 dollars.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by edicolove: 12:04pm On Jun 19, 2012
Demdem: *demdem jittery* about to be exposed by edistupid

You are peeing in ur pants! Hahahaha! "Dance never start, antelope don already break leg" adammu!
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Demdem(m): 12:07pm On Jun 19, 2012
edicolove:

Why don't you see all these your various possibilities when GEJ or Okonjo is involved? Oh, I forgot, you are a BIGOT!!! Gbam!

Edistupid, be kind enough to be specific on issues. Give me instances and we will start from there. We have just only one president and minister of finance. that is undisputeable

There are no several scenarios. Otedola has never changed his story as people like Kobojunkie will want to try and portray, cos of their partisan stance! He has beed steady and consistent! Only Facrook has been changing like a cameleon. Otedola's case is still watertight as ever. Those who dream that Facrook will be left of the hook should dream on. You are dealing with Otedola, not some smalley that you can push around. I laugh in #Capbanking

because otedola's story is watertight doesnt make it true. its 50-50. its possible that he was well-briefed about what to say by his people unlike farouk. still a possibility though. all these will have to be tested in the law court no doubt.

still waiting for u to take up my challenge iidiot
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Demdem(m): 12:07pm On Jun 19, 2012
grin
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by pingpong1: 12:07pm On Jun 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Why does the court not need physical evidence? undecided undecided

Because it is not in all cases that the bribe money is available to tender. If I receive 5000 from you and I quickly dissipate it, you can still prove in court that you gave me bribe without mw having to tender the money. The police are just not up to it or are trying to further sensationalise this matter. Assuming FL even returns the 620k in fresh money (not marked) how will the SSS proceed further? That money was marked is only a fact known to the SSS which needs further proof. The said " video" will only show money being exchanged
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 12:08pm On Jun 19, 2012
OCHIWOO: [size=14pt]Who in the sss gave otedola marked 600,000 dollars.[/size]
Very good question. And I think the reason is many have concluded that Otedola himself must have supplied the "MARKED" bills for the 'sting' operation given that nany assume that since he is rich, it is so. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Demdem(m): 12:08pm On Jun 19, 2012
edicolove:

You are peeing in ur pants! Hahahaha! "Dance never start, antelope don already break leg" adammu!

Am waiting for u edistupid to expose my hypocrisy nau. abi u bi Bastard?
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by freebloke: 12:08pm On Jun 19, 2012
See how d politicians and nigerian government don turn some folks to zombie..... People dey tif money,dey give bribe,dey take bribe,dey loot us dry,dey act soap opera,no care about us...... And some folks dey here dey fight the tifs battle and insult people simply because dem tink sey dem know pass.
ignorance....
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 12:09pm On Jun 19, 2012
ping pong:

Because it is not in all cases that the bribe money is available to tender. If I receive 5000 from you and I quickly dissipate it, you can still prove in court that you gave me bribe without mw having to tender the money. The police are just not up to it or are trying to further sensationalise this matter. Assuming FL even returns the 620k in fresh money (not marked) how will the SSS proceed further? That money was marked is only a fact known to the SSS which needs further proof. The said " video" will only show money being exchanged

undecided You have not seen this video yourself, so I think it will be foolhardy to declare at this time that it will suffice. And we all know what is up with the MARKED Bills. So, how do you prove in court that you gave me $5000 when there is no paper trail or physical evidence?
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by debosky(m): 12:15pm On Jun 19, 2012
ping pong:

The key issue is what Farouk told the police - if he admitted collecting the bribe, why do you need the physical cash in order to convict? More evidence might be beneficial, but a confession plus the alleged video showing him collecting the money should be sufficient for a prosecution.

1 Like

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Demdem(m): 12:19pm On Jun 19, 2012
yes its on record that farouk said he collected the bribe so as to use it to nail Otedola. More evidence against him is needed no doubt.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by waters2012: 12:24pm On Jun 19, 2012
These PDP guys are taking nigerians for jokers. U dont tell that crap to sensible people: Police is tracing the money in banks Are banks not obliged to report deposit above certain limits? They're literally begging the banks to coperate. Actually as soon as i heared its the police doing the investigation, i knew the war was lost b4 battle begin. Which Police investigating bribery? Nigerian Police? I expect a honorable GEJ to set up tribunal like the OPuta Panel to try everyone indicted in the report. The bribery saga is just a mere distraction. I wish i hadnt read this thread.

When the next mass protest begins, the govt will say Tunde Bakare is inciting the public.

We Shall see
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 12:30pm On Jun 19, 2012
Well, a confession is great and all but I have read of cases being dismissed because of claim that statements were obtained through duress. grin
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by debosky(m): 2:07pm On Jun 19, 2012
In the same vein, cases have also been thrown out where there are truckloads hard evidence, with the cash deposited at the CBN no less (ref. James Ibori); even having the cash does not provide much further assurance of a successful conviction.

As long as those in power are willing to subvert the judicial process, it is easily achieved regardless of the evidence.

As for the 'press statement', giving a 'press statement' is different from providing a signed confession/statement to the police. The latter is usually admissible in court while the former isn't.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:15pm On Jun 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

undecided You have not seen this video yourself, so I think it will be foolhardy to declare at this time that it will suffice. And we all know what is up with the MARKED Bills. So, how do you prove in court that you gave me $5000 when there is no paper trail or physical evidence?
FAR-CROOK is not denying receiving the money. The whole search for the money is for money-trail. To know those who took the money. If FAR-CROOK says he took it to expose Otedola, he is suppose to bring the money with matching serial numbers. If he can't then the next process is to find who the money was given to. So if FAR-CROOK was arrested on the spot, the house of CROOKS would deny him flat.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 2:21pm On Jun 19, 2012
thegoodjoehunt: FAR-CROOK is not denying receiving the money. The whole search for the money is for money-trail. To know those who took the money.

My post there was in response to the other which claims there is no need for physical evidence.

By the way, have you actually read any of the reports DIRECTLY QUOTING Lawan? Or are you simply parroting a report that claims that he did admit?? grin grin grin
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:28pm On Jun 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

My post there was in response to the other which claims there is no need for physical evidence.

By the way, have you actually read any of the reports DIRECTLY QUOTING Lawan? Or are you simply parroting a report that claims that he did admit?? grin grin grin
That means you have read a report of FAR-CROOK saying that he never collected the money or had it given to one of the heads of a committee, who clearly denied ever receiving money from FAR-CROOK. Sorry for parroting. LOL.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 2:30pm On Jun 19, 2012
thegoodjoehunt: That means you have read a report of FAR-CROOK saying that he never collected the money or have it to one of the heads of a committee, who clearly denied ever receiving money from FAR-CROOK. Sorry for parroting. LOL.

Nope! That is not what it means. What that means is IF YOU DID NOT SEE HIM say he took the money, AND you did not read him QUOTED to have taken the money, then it is probably in your best interest to stay away from deeming him GUILTY before evidence is made available to you.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by thegoodjoehunt(m): 3:06pm On Jun 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Nope! That is not what it means. What that means is IF YOU DID NOT SEE HIM say he took the money, AND you did not read him QUOTED to have taken the money, then it is probably in your best interest to stay away from deeming him GUILTY before evidence is made available to you.
I don't need FAR-CROOK To testify. If Otedola had kept quiet, no one would have known how his company name was removed from the probe. Now he has talked, Zenon is back on the probe list. That is guilt written in Black and white. Must a thief confess before u know he stole?
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by nduchucks: 3:07pm On Jun 19, 2012
In the same vein, cases have also been thrown out where there are truckloads hard evidence, with the cash deposited at the CBN no less (ref. James Ibori); even having the cash does not provide much further assurance of a successful conviction.

As long as those in power are willing to subvert the judicial process, it is easily achieved regardless of the evidence.

na wa for wayas. The difference between the bolded above and the current situation is that, the evidence was marked. (We don't know what kind of markings). If the SSS gave farouk currency who's serial numbers were simply recorded and allowed him to escape the 'crime scene', then the SSS is the most incompetent organization in the world. How could they have allowed anyone to walk away with almost $1million without putting in place, measures that would make the recovery of such funds prompt and immediate.

Since the SSS had the video tape record, the marked currency, and Farouk himself on location, why was Farouk not arrested and charged immediately -i. e. as soon as he collected the money? Why in the world did the SSS allow Farouk to disappear with almost $1million. Now, Farouk's goat has eaten the money. cheesy

if dem no get reason to arrest Farouk and charge him with a crime by now, then Faroouk go beat the charges. make him just keep de money wel well o. him go need am for 2015.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by thegoodjoehunt(m): 3:22pm On Jun 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

www.punchng.com/news/i-took-otedolas-n96m-bribe-to-expose-him-lawan/ maybe I should disregard this news by PUNCH.

CONTRARY to his insistence on
Sunday that he did not meet with
or receive any bribe from
anybody, documents in
possession of The PUNCH
showed that Chairman of the
House of Representatives probe
panel on fuel subsidy
mismanagement, Farouk Lawal,
indeed accepted $500,000 from
billionaire businessman, Femi
Otedola.
Clerk of the committee, Boniface
Emenalo, also received $100,000
from the businessman.
The sums added up to the $
600,000 bribery scandal rocking
the House committee which
recently exposed how some
subsidy thieves robbed the
nation of whopping N1.7trn.
Farouk and Emenalo, as the
documents, mostly
correspondence, indicated,
however let in the Acting
Inspector-General of Police,
Mohammed Abubakar, into the
“attempt” by Otedola to bribe
them.
Also, there were indications in
the correspondence that Lawan
intimated the House committee
chairman on Drugs/Narcotics
and Financial Crimes, Adams
Jagaba.
Sundry documents
In one of the documents sourced
by our correspondents in Abuja
on Monday, Lawan, in a letter to
Jagaba, wrote, “Attached (to the
letter) is the sum of five hundred
thousand dollars only offered to
me with another promise of two
million, five hundred thousand
dollars.”
Another letter written by
Emenalo to Lawan read, “I wish
to inform you that I was on his
invitation, at the residence of
their Chairman, Mr. Femi Otedola,
in Maitama (Aso Drive) this
morning and he offered me the
sum of one hundred thousand
US dollars in two bundles of $
50,000 each. The money is
herewith forwarded as
evidence.”

Trying to sweep their thief thief under the carpet.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 3:49pm On Jun 19, 2012
thegoodjoehunt: www.punchng.com/news/i-took-otedolas-n96m-bribe-to-expose-him-lawan/ maybe I should disregard this news by PUNCH.

Trying to sweep their thief thief under the carpet.

Punch has published. It is up to you to decide whether you will put your TRUST in what Punch posts. Note that NOWHERE in that article are you told that LAWAN is being QUOTED. Interestingly instead Punch tells you that documents it has in it's possession is their main source. Have you seen those documents? Who were they issues by? Are you seriously going to stake your credibility on a document that you have never seen and Punch is not even willing to tell you the origin of?
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by pingpong1: 4:24pm On Jun 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Just assuming there IS actually a video.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 4:26pm On Jun 19, 2012
ping pong:

Just assuming there IS actually a video.

But your earlier statement suggestion that it was definitely possible to get a conviction with NO PHYSICAL EVIDENCE made available.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by pingpong1: 4:37pm On Jun 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

But your earlier statement suggestion that it was definitely possible to get a conviction with NO PHYSICAL EVIDENCE made available.

What I mean is that even the video evidence itself is not conclusive evidence of Lawan's guilt. Equally the physical cash itself is not conclusive proof either. Evidence must be led to connect the dots. I am just saying that the Police can still proof that bribe was exchanged between Lawan and Otedola. The problem I seem to have is how can it be proved that "A" demanded first and that it was not "B" that actually offered first.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 4:41pm On Jun 19, 2012
ping pong:

What I mean is that even the video evidence itself is not conclusive evidence of Lawan's guilt. Equally the physical cash itself is not conclusive proof either. Evidence must be led to connect the dots. I am just saying that the Police can still proof that bribe was exchanged between Lawan and Otedola. The problem I seem to have is how can it be proved that "A" demanded first and that it was not "B" that actually offered first.

See wayo moves!!! So you don't know the how sef but you come corner me by asking the question which would have been my follow-up . . . ROFLMAO!!
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by pingpong1: 4:50pm On Jun 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

See wayo moves!!! So you don't know the how sef but you come corner me by asking the question which would have been my follow-up . . . ROFLMAO!!

De thing taya me. All the mysteries will hopefully be unraveled in court. I am done with the Police and their gimmicks. let the lawyers add more comedy.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Pataki: 4:59pm On Jun 19, 2012
Who is deceiving who? grin

As usual, reno omokri is at his best show of idiocy here again!

It is alleged that SSS gave the money to Otedola who thereafter handed the money to that charlatan. Now the Police are busy contacting banks searching for SSS money? grin

Only in Nigeria!
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by kingPINN(m): 8:19pm On Jun 19, 2012
Ohhk..no wonder. So na becos of tis investigation where police dey go every bank branch dey ask u see otedollar..na I'm cause dollar jump from 158 to almost 165 today.. Chai, abeg bank mgrs, if u na see otedollar, make una return am ni!!

1 Like

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by item1: 12:29am On Jun 20, 2012
The 10,000.00 dollar collected from Facrook house, is it proved to be part of the MARKED money the SSS gave to Otedola?.
These people should stop spoiling the name of our SSS. No secret agent anywhere in the world will start looking for an item/money they used as a bait to track a crime. Or the whole news is lies on lies

1 Like

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 2:13am On Jun 20, 2012
item1: The 10,000.00 dollar collected from Facrook house, is it proved to be part of the MARKED money the SSS gave to Otedola?.
These people should stop spoiling the name of our SSS. No secret agent anywhere in the world will start looking for an item/money they used as a bait to track a crime. Or the whole news is lies on lies

The police has so far not stated that the $10,000 is anyway linked to the alleged MARKED BILLS. The money seems to be just $10,000 they found at his place.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Skills10: 4:30pm On Jun 20, 2012
I'm enjoying this series. If you believe this, you can believe any other thing.
Back to the movies series: Previously on Farcrook: The following takes place between 8.am and 9a.m. Events occur in real time.
POLICE: Where is the $620,000?
FARCROOK: I gave it to Adams Jagaba
ADAMS JAGABA: I aint got no money.
POLICE: where is the money? We ve got to invite Otedola.
OTEDOLA: Relax guys. It was just a covert operation. I needed to create a smokescreen to divert the attention of those suckers @ the NASS. like the saying goes-keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Petrol Station Manager Killed By Gunmen In Maiduguri / Abductees’ Families Vow To Stop Abuja-Kaduna Train Resumption / Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.