Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,374 members, 7,815,793 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment (13276 Views)

Revealed: Practices In Nigerian Banks That Will Shock You / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers / Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by KayDee4: 6:30pm On Jun 21, 2012
floriana: Zenith Bank does not favour all Deltans o. It favours only Deltans from Agbor. Number one and two in the bank currently are from Agbor. Top management is also heavily populated by Agbor people. Jim Ovia is an illustrious son of Agbor town.

Guy, if you're saying Zenith Bank favours only Deltans from Agbor it means people from other states don't stand a chance ? Huh !!! undecided undecided
Makes no sense @ all to me.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by carlos86: 6:34pm On Jun 21, 2012
Very stupid thread.I thought a Yoruba woman is the GMD of union bank?How come union bank favours Igbos?Don't blame your inability to get a bank job on tribalism
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by jason123: 6:35pm On Jun 21, 2012
publisher: I have been made to understand that in order to increase your chances of getting a good job in certain Nigerian banks,you must belong to the right ethnic group.

Here's what i mean:
Wema bank - favours Yoruba jobseekers
Skye bank - favours Yoruba jobseekers
Unity bank - favours Hausa/ Northern Jobseekers
Zenith - favours Deltans/Delta Igbos
GTB - favours Yorubas
Diamond bank - favours Igbos
Access bank - favours Yorubas/Edos
Fidelity bank - favours Igbos
Union bank - favours Igbos
UBA - neutral
Fcmb - favours Yorubas
First bank - neutral

So people, is this gist true?

OP, the highlighted are 90% spot on!
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Afam4eva(m): 6:35pm On Jun 21, 2012
jason123: From a family member's experience and a friend's experience, DIAMOND BANK is the worst of them all. You hardly ever find a person from another ethnic group. Other banks still employ other ethnic groups even though it can be difficult but Diamond Never!!! If you like, get a PhD in economics and finance, do ICAN tire, you no go still get the job if you are not Igbo. Even if the branch is in Warri, Ibadan, Jos, Bauchi etc.

If you are not Igbo and you got a job in Diamond bank, GOD really loves you!

PS: This is not to say Igbos are tribalists etc. Diamond bank is just a different kettle all together!
You're right about Diamond Bank. I wonder of it's the same with MTN Nigeria since they're both owned by the same person.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by amokemi(m): 6:55pm On Jun 21, 2012
[quote author=Jah Man]Banks as far as i have researched are the only institutions that employ based on merit.
However when you enter,you can be frustrated based on the tribe thingy u mentioned.especially the Skye,FCMB,GTB,WEMA.
Mind you the complaint I hear is that FBN is 'Yoruba' infested.
Just hearing about UBN and Igbo shaa.[/quote

i disagree wt d first bank assertion. My set in first bank training school in lagos was filled wt people frm other tribes esp igbos and south south states. The other trainin schools in d north and east has people from those regions than yorubas. First bank does nt discriminate in her employment or promotion once u are qualified u wil have it.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by badesco(m): 6:57pm On Jun 21, 2012
Your assertion is quite right, that is naija for us. The one i am disgust about
is that of Union Bank, despite is Fg property, the so call igbos ensures that
they plant their selves in this our bank, thereby making it look as if it igbo bank,
that is to show how greedy some part of this country can be. Tribalism will continue
as far as this Nigeria is still alive.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by chidike(m): 7:05pm On Jun 21, 2012
i am an Igbo, but i must say that i agree about Diamond Bank, from. Kaduna to abuja, most of their staff i know are Igbos. Me sef dey wait to work there after NYSC. *winks*

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by basher(m): 7:12pm On Jun 21, 2012
badesco: Your assertion is quite right, that is naija for us. The one i am disgust about
is that of Union Bank, despite is Fg property, the so call igbos ensures that
they plant their selves in this our bank, thereby making it look as if it igbo bank,
that is to show how greedy some part of this country can be. Tribalism will continue
as far as this Nigeria is still alive.

Your barely disguised Igbo-hatred took away the shine from any point that you were supposed to be making here.

It most be extremely boring working in a place filled with on one tribe though.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by jason123: 7:12pm On Jun 21, 2012
afam4eva:
You're right about Diamond Bank. I wonder of it's the same with MTN Nigeria since they're both owned by the same person.

Don't know about MTN.

chidike: i am an Igbo, but i must say that i agree about Diamond Bank, from. Kaduna to abuja, most of their staff i know are Igbos. Me sef dey wait to work there after NYSC. *winks*

I'm glad you agree. Na so Diamond bank bi! cheesy
So bruv. Enjoy yasef jare. I pray you get the job!
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Olaone1: 7:24pm On Jun 21, 2012
Spot on!

Especially the following:

WEMA BANK

ZENITH BANK

FIDELITY BANK.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by samkoro: 7:27pm On Jun 21, 2012
dayokanu: The worst is Diamond bank

You would go to their branches in Lagos or Abeokuta and they would be filled with Igbos

I am not sure if GTB or Skye bank in Owerri is filled with Yorubas

Yorubas open accounts only in Yoruba banks,they rarely open account in any Igbo owned bank cos they feel that if situations arises all their money may be converted to five naira just like Awolowo converted all Igbo money to five pounds,the way Awolowo did. To Igbos after the war.That's the bitter truth.

Another truth is that Igbos don't exhibit tribalism in choosing banks to open account.

I hereby call on Igbos to change their accounts to Igbo banks cos its safer there.If you Doubt it ask J J okocha and the Sarakis societe generale.They coverted Okochas money to a coaching job at Kwara football Academy

3 Likes

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by jason123: 7:36pm On Jun 21, 2012
samkoro:

Yorubas open accounts only in Yoruba banks,they rarely open account in any Igbo owned bank cos they feel that if situations arises all their money may be converted to five naira just like Awolowo converted all Igbo money to five pounds,the way Awolowo did. To Igbos after the war.That's the bitter truth.

Another truth is that Igbos don't exhibit tribalism in choosing banks to open account.

I hereby call on Igbos to change their accounts to Igbo banks cos its safer there.If you Doubt it ask J J okocha and the Sarakis societe generale.They coverted Okochas money to a coaching job at Kwara football Academy

Where in the world did you get this from?? You high on cheap crack undecided

If that was the reason, it means Northerners and SSoutherners are also scared of putting their money in any Igbo owned bank. If not, Northerners and SSoutherners should also be equally opportuned to get employed in Diamond bank but that is not the case.

Guy, you need serious deliverance. You have issuesssss! cry
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by basher(m): 7:37pm On Jun 21, 2012
samkoro:

Yorubas open accounts only in Yoruba banks,they rarely open account in any Igbo owned bank cos they feel that if situations arises all their money may be converted to five naira just like Awolowo converted all Igbo money to five pounds.That's the bitter truth.

You've got a point here. Also, how many Yorubas are prepared to go and work in a bank filled and controlled by "omo Igbos"? Many would rather remain jobless. This probably explains the situation at diamond bank!
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jun 21, 2012
I have accounts in FCMB, Zenith and Fidelity.
From interactions with their employees, FCMB is mostly Yoruba, Zenith is every tribe and Fidelity is mostly igbo.

It's quite common in naija though. I remember there was a time most Nepa emoloyees where ondo and the present top echelon in FRSC is mostly igbo.

But most importantly, getting employment in Nigeria is mainly by connection.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by jason123: 7:40pm On Jun 21, 2012
basher:

You've got a point here. Also, how many Yorubas are prepared to go and work in a bank filled and controlled by "omo Igbos"? Many would rather remain jobless. This probably explains the situation at diamond bank!

Logic dictates that SSoutherners and Northerners should have a sizeable portion of such banks if that was the case, isn't it? C'mon man, let's think! cool
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by kolexy(m): 7:46pm On Jun 21, 2012
afam4eva:

Pascal Dozie is just one of the several Nigerians with stake in MTN Nigeria. He does not have absolute power like he has in Diamond
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by kolexy(m): 7:50pm On Jun 21, 2012
This country is on the path of disintegration
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Beowulf(m): 8:12pm On Jun 21, 2012
I don't usually comment on threads like this because they easily take the downward spiral to tribe-bashing and name-calling.

This is how I see it. I used to work in Diamond Bank and I noticed the preponderance of Ibos there. You have to be blind not to. However, the largest minority there was Yoruba and they aren't a quiet minority at all meaning that they are involved a lot in the decision making process of the bank. It was in Diamond Bank that I saw Ibo and Yoruba people get along so well it is unbelievable. My unit was a language class as the Ibo guys were always teaching the Yoruba guys Ibo and vice versa. The little Yoruba I know today I learnt in Diamond Bank.

One of my mates used to work in FCMB and the Diamond Bank situation is replicated there in that majority of the staff is Yoruba.

A number of factors go into the dominance of one ethnic group over another in institutions like banks in Nigeria.

First, ownership: The tribe of the controlling stakeholders in the bank almost always reflects their recruitment bent.

Second, strategy: Banks recruit from a particular ethnic group when they are trying to gain market share in those regions dominated by people from a particular ethnic group. For instance, while at Diamond Bank I noticed that majority of the branches in the West were peopled by Yoruba staff. Smart strategy because the trader in a Western state will want the assurance of seeing his people in a bank before he can deal with that bank. This holds true for every region of Nigeria. Do you think the barely literate Ibo, Yoruba, Hausa or Ijaw trader will want to go to a bank where the bank personnel will not be able to break down banking issues to him in his own language? Hence, most banks use this strategy to recruit.

Finally, there is the case of blatant tribalism and most banks are guilty of it in varying degrees. Personally, I don't think the tribalism factor is as bad as most people make it out to be. I want to work with a competent staff and I could not care less of the ethnic identity.

4 Likes

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by tpia5: 8:17pm On Jun 21, 2012
people should bank wherever they feel comfortable, that's all.

interesting breakdown, if true.

cant say i noticed when i was in nigeria.

one thing i know is if your bias prevents you from giving me good [or any] service, then i wont disturb you further.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by basher(m): 8:19pm On Jun 21, 2012
jason123:

Logic dictates that SSoutherners and Northerners should have a sizeable portion of such banks if that was the case, isn't it? C'mon man, let's think! cool

Your logic will only make sense if d attitudes of d N & SS towards d Igbos are different from the SW.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by P406: 8:28pm On Jun 21, 2012
Danka7777:

I have to agree with you for the most part. I had gone into a bank in Abuja in Maitama district area and it doesn't look anything like bank to me but a beauty pageant show. For every lady that passed me by, I kept saying "chineke" (God). Is it a coincidence that all of them are light skinned.

ZENITH, MAITAMA

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by jason123: 8:31pm On Jun 21, 2012
basher:

Your logic will only make sense if d attitudes of d N & SS towards d Igbos are different from the SW.

My point was, its not only Yorubas they do not employ but they also do not employ SSoutherners and Northners. This does not mean Igbos are tribalistic, not at all. I am just saying Diamond Bank employ mostly Igbos. It has nothing to do with the civil war or money etc!
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Stancode(m): 8:57pm On Jun 21, 2012
Yes it's true e.g gt banks in lagos employers mostly yoruba's
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Stancode(m): 8:59pm On Jun 21, 2012
I mean employees
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by olaheavy: 9:00pm On Jun 21, 2012
Why do fools keep referring to WEMA? It's a regional bank, for crying out loud! This honorable institution that has stood the test of time is owned by O'dua Investment Group which comprises all the states in the Western region! Why would they want to leave their own sons and daughters and blindly employ Igbo cannibals? My own question is why the Igbo-infested Diamond just didn't stay in Ibo land or the East, for that matter, when they knew they were going to be that tribalistic? At least you can be sure of seeing WEMA branches only/mainly in Yorubaland, why was Diamond bank extended to the West? We don't want any Igbo bank in the West tell them to pack up and leave!
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Stancode(m): 9:00pm On Jun 21, 2012
Stancode: Yes it's true e.g gt banks in lagos employers mostly yoruba's
i mean employees
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by moremi2008(m): 9:06pm On Jun 21, 2012
The recruitment at entry/junior levels is the most equitable you'll ever find in Nigeria. However, at the most senior levels (i.e. AGM and above), a lot of hiring and promotion tends to be based on connections and deposits. Unfortunately, "connections" in Naija is very tribe-centric. I have never worked in Nigeria but I have family and friends that are senior bankers in Nigeria and they pretty much live and die by their high-level Yoruba connections at Yoruba-leaning banks (in particular, First Bank, Wema Bank and FCMB). The one bank that was truly diverse with regards to ethnic groups was the former Oceanic. Mama Ibru (as she was called before her spectacular fall from grace) is a true de-tribalized citizen of Nigeria. She hired across all ethnic groups as long as you could get her government deposits. Oceanic was famous for hiring the family members and mistresses of politicians in power grin

olaheavy: Why do fools keep referring to WEMA? It's a regional bank, for crying out loud! This honorable institution that has stood the test of time is owned by O'dua Investment Group which comprises all the states in the Western region! Why would they want to leave their own sons and daughters and blindly employ Igbo cannibals? My own question is why the Igbo-infested Diamond just didn't stay in Ibo land or the East, for that matter, when they knew they were going to be that tribalistic? At least you can be sure of seeing WEMA branches only/mainly in Yorubaland, why was Diamond bank extended to the West? We don't want any Igbo bank in the West tell them to pack up and leave!

You're a bloody tribalist and you should be ashamed of yourself. Besides, you don't know what you're talking about. Wema only JUST became a regional bank. It was a pure Yoruba bank even when it was a national bank (it was known for transferring Yoruba staff to its Northern and Eastern branches). For all its "Yoruba-ness", it is probably the worst bank in Nigeria after Unity Bank. It's a horrible and very backward place from what I hear from current insiders. Its senior management is so distracted with internal politics and fetish practices, that it's a wonder that the bank exists at all!

3 Likes

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by coolzeal(m): 9:23pm On Jun 21, 2012
Our problem in this country is that; we don't give credit to whom deserved.. TRIBALISM is tearing us apart and sometimes i began to wonder how can Nigeria as a nation move forward.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by GboyegaD(m): 9:24pm On Jun 21, 2012
Batam:

It seems you are still very young. Your friend told you that they were employed on merit and you believe them, what of other sacrifice? Although one may not totally rule out merit but a lot of candidates also posses this merit vying for few positions. The only way other than ethnicity/who you know/merit is divine favour.

Guy, it is not about him being very young. I think there is favor like you stated but merit also works. I got offers in 3 banks immediately I left school without knowing anyone. My encounter on the day I went to Zenith Head office (Tuesday November 21, 2006) cannot be forgotten in a short while. The security asked for my qualification and grade and thereafter he said God saved me and then pointed to the HR unit where I was to drop my CV. I got there and the security there just asked me to submit it and that was all. Same week on Friday, I got a text inviting me to write the test the next Tuesday and on Wednesday, I was called for interview on Thursday. Similar thing happened with Ecobank where a friend called me that they were writing test. I got to their Matori branch and the 1st security guy wouldn't let me in because I did not have the text message but thank God and the elderly security officer who was at work with him. I have always told people that do your best while in school and then pray to God and I can assure you, God is ever faithful. I cannot count my friends who got jobs on merit.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Afam4eva(m): 9:44pm On Jun 21, 2012
kolexy:

Pascal Dozie is just one of the several Nigerians with stake in MTN Nigeria. He does not have absolute power like he has in Diamond
But he has the highest share, so he has mouth.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by DelePhd: 9:59pm On Jun 21, 2012
@ OP, a fantastic observation!
Fidelity bank @ Computer village is a good example, dominated by Igbos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff / National Association Of Unemployed Graduates Openly Invites Trustees And Members / Which Is Better, Handwork Or Salary Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.