Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,638 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment (13271 Views)

Revealed: Practices In Nigerian Banks That Will Shock You / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers / Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by manie(m): 12:15pm On Jun 22, 2012
afam4eva:
But he has the highest share, so he has mouth.

i do'nt think Nigerians own up to 40% of the share capital of MTN in Nigeria. Where will you put Institutional investors like African capital alliance, Law union and rocks, Pension funds, Sanni Bello, Shanduka group, Access bank, Diamond bank,Stanbic IBTC, 3i group,Clicks group, Tiger brands Ltd.
The major shareholder is MTN group limited which is based in South Africa. Because you are the Chairman of a company, does not neccessary mean that the person is the largest investor in the company.
Among the Nigerian investors in MTN, i think Dozie is the oldest and he has the best experience, exposure, contact and influence.

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by samkoro: 12:51pm On Jun 22, 2012
Tropilo:

My brother, while your observation above could be true. The major reason you wouldn't find a Yoruba in Enugu or Owerri branches is because Yoruba's find it very difficult going eastwards or having to stay there. They rather you sent them to even Damaturu, Maiduguri or Kano.
I have had cause to shuffle some staff in my office in Nigeria (Abuja). As we had new projects in Imo and Ondo states.
The Yoruba chap was sent to Owerri while a Delta employee was to go to Akure. The Yoruba guy refused to resume in Owerri, instead preferred to be jobless in Lagos.

U see what ignorance and prejudice does.Tribalism is self destructive.Had it been he went to owerri,he would have forgoten his Yoruba land in two weeks.Enjoyment would brain wash him and IfA priest from yorubaland will come to his rescue.

As a matter of fact,Owerri,Enugu,Calabar are the most civil and hospitable place to be.

That guy is a bush man ,that's why he is so timid.

That might be the best opportunity he could have in his life

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by samkoro: 1:08pm On Jun 22, 2012
publisher: I have been made to understand that in order to increase your chances of getting a good job in certain Nigerian banks,you must belong to the right ethnic group.

Here's what i mean:
Wema bank - favours Yoruba jobseekers
Skye bank - favours Yoruba jobseekers
Unity bank - favours Hausa/ Northern Jobseekers
Zenith - favours Deltans/Delta Igbos
GTB - favours Yorubas
Diamond bank - favours Igbos
Access bank - favours Yorubas/Edos
Fidelity bank - favours Igbos
Union bank - favours Igbos
UBA - neutral
Fcmb - favours Yorubas
First bank - neutral

So people, is this gist true?

If we have to by the above,then Yorubas are the leaders in bank tribalism.The whole nation know this;and yorubas brag about controling banking in Nigeria
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by samkoro: 1:11pm On Jun 22, 2012
publisher: I have been made to understand that in order to increase your chances of getting a good job in certain Nigerian banks,you must belong to the right ethnic group.

Here's what i mean:
Wema bank - favours Yoruba jobseekers
Skye bank - favours Yoruba jobseekers
Unity bank - favours Hausa/ Northern Jobseekers
Zenith - favours Deltans/Delta Igbos
GTB - favours Yorubas
Diamond bank - favours Igbos
Access bank - favours Yorubas/Edos
Fidelity bank - favours Igbos
Union bank - favours Igbos
UBA - neutral
Fcmb - favours Yorubas
First bank - neutral

So people, is this gist true?

If we have to by the above,then Yorubas are the leaders in bank tribalism.The whole nation know this;and yorubas brag about controling banking in Nigeria.

One good thing is that there seems to be good inter ethnic relationship in that sector
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by publisher(m): 1:34pm On Jun 22, 2012
From my own little observation, there are quite a number of Yorubas doing good business and residing in the East but a lot of people will not know. For instance there's this Yoruba guy based in Onitsha who's company manufactures white plastic chairs used in most Naija 'owambe' parties.
Another observation is that most Yorubas i've met who freely reside in regions outside the Southwest are either from Ogbomosho or Ijebu,i could be wrong though
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by tpia5: 1:48pm On Jun 22, 2012
^your observation is mostly on point.

Ogbomosho and Ijebu people tend to migrate more, and are found outside yorubaland in larger numbers.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by tpia5: 1:51pm On Jun 22, 2012
samkoro:

U see what ignorance and prejudice does.Tribalism is self destructive.Had it been he went to owerri,he would have forgoten his Yoruba land in two weeks.Enjoyment would brain wash him and IfA priest from yorubaland will come to his rescue.

As a matter of fact,Owerri,Enugu,Calabar are the most civil and hospitable place to be.

Keep dreaming.

Is it easy to live in places where you're automatically disliked because of your tribe.

Besides, the culture is vastly different and not everyone can adapt to such.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by express101: 2:02pm On Jun 22, 2012
olaheavy: This 'moremi' person is another Igbo bastard in disguise. Millions of these yinminrin human-eaters were born, nurtured, and schooled in our Yorubaland. They tend to claim Yoruba as their ethnicity because they're ashamed of their cannibalistic Igbo heritage! Mother and fatherfucker go sleep with some human-eating Igbo LovePeddler! B'eru ba pe nile alajobi l'o ma n bu. Were, olosi, omo ale. Akindindinrin, omo Igbo onijekuje!
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by kingPINN(m): 2:02pm On Jun 22, 2012
I am very Igbo and got my first job on merit @ UBA..the bank hired massively that particular year. It was a very de-tribalized selection and mostly on merit. Cos myself and many others that got hired knw no one, we were nt evn invitd for d recruitment test. We heard abt it and gate crashed. As providence wud v it, we passd and got hired. Afta our training skul in UBA, the Human Resources unit posted virtually all Ibo origin to marketing. Their reasoning being that igbos do well in business and realtionship mgt..I hv since left UBA, working in anoda Yoruba owned bank and wud attest dat the recruitment too was unbiased. It ws pure merit bt I noticed though that they hire more of their own than other tribes, in a training skul klas of 30, u v abt 18 yorubas, 5 ibos, then d remainder is spread over the other ethnic divides. Howeva, the bank gives people almost equal opportunity to thrive and express their God givn talents. I rest my case.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by tpia5: 2:23pm On Jun 22, 2012
^thank you.

And if the branch in question is based in yorubaland, it stands to reason much of the staff would be sourced locally.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by revomind(m): 5:06pm On Jun 22, 2012
olaheavy: This 'moremi' person is another Igbo bastard in disguise. Millions of these yinminrin human-eaters were born, nurtured, and schooled in our Yorubaland. They tend to claim Yoruba as their ethnicity because they're ashamed of their cannibalistic Igbo heritage! Mother and fatherfucker go sleep with some human-eating Igbo LovePeddler! B'eru ba pe nile alajobi l'o ma n bu. Were, olosi, omo ale. Akindindinrin, omo Igbo onijekuje!

You're an embarrassment to every sane Yoruba person following this thread.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by revomind(m): 5:08pm On Jun 22, 2012
walkenz: Asides tribalism there's also church affiliation which seems to be trending at the moment
Bless you brother.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by blocker: 7:46am On Jun 23, 2012
grin grin grin grin Which Bank wen Hausa Fulani dey control nah?
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by blocker: 7:48am On Jun 23, 2012
grin grin
samkoro:

The mugu no dO N.Y.S.C? Na wah to am oh! angry
samkoro:

The mugu no dO N.Y.S.C? Na wah to am oh!
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Nobody: 8:18am On Jun 23, 2012
samkoro:

Na, the dude prefers to stay alive.

Send the man to Edo, Jos or a more civilized setting, he'll go.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by sweetjummie(f): 11:57am On Jun 23, 2012
blocker: grin grin grin grin Which Bank wen Hausa Fulani dey control nah?

Unity bank and JAIZ bank
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by tpia5: 1:25pm On Jun 23, 2012
Bank of the north.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by fstranger6: 1:56pm On Jun 23, 2012
tpia@:
Bank of the north.

Bank of Tpiah's p/u/n/n/y
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by gyde(m): 5:37pm On Jun 24, 2012
The Poster is right about Diamond Bank,about 90% of staff are Ibos,I worked there once,in My branch then I was the only yoruba
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by jpphilips(m): 9:52am On Jun 25, 2012
saintneo: The OP's post might be true. However, I can confirm to you that as an Igbo boy, I worked in FCMB(first job), I didn't know anyone in FCMB but I was in an executive meeting involving the MD of FCMB on my first week at work. Don't ask me the position I was then, it was all the favour of God, my intelligence and my wits.

pocket your braggadocio in your pants. when issues like this come up, use those demented wits of yours to figure out what happens with the MAJORITY not some on off event like your case

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by jpphilips(m): 10:12am On Jun 25, 2012
Kay-Dee:

Most likely false.

I know the oil and gas companies work with the quota system which they declare openly, but I seriously doubt it is the same for other institutions.

That you must be connected or come from a certain ethnic group to get employed in an organization is a misleading impression. It may be the case in some instances but more often than not, people walk in based on merit.

I hope you don't hinder your chances yourself back because of this impression.

Asking for State of origin, LGA and religion is merely for statistical and demographic purposes.

it will take you decades to realize how far Nepotism has ruined this nation, who told you there are no jobs? and why are people unemployed? where does the job appear from when a chairman makes a call?
the employed will tell you how overworked they are but the "right" person has not come to fill the void yet.
who are the right people? people with contact or people that knows the job?

the word "merit" has left the Nigerian dictionary like 2 decades ago, even the writers of the Nigerian constitution were not selected on "merit" so why hope much.

in every organization, there are only but a few peeps who are smart and innovative, the rest are mere clueless opportunist.

imagine a flight attendant insisting i must give her my boarding pass with my right hand and this furore grounded the whole process for 30mins, my annoyance being that she didn't mind when the oyibos before me gave her with left. in her thoughts her left hand culture is a requirement for boarding an aircraft lol

now tell me if the so called flight attendant even understands her employment letter, but make inquiries she must be "highly recommended" lol grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by AjanleKoko: 10:47am On Jun 25, 2012
Tribalism is overrated.
I personally find nothing wrong with some companies favoring people from a particular section of the country.
Why should Yorubas, for example, be majority employees in Shell or ExxonMobil? The Delta and Akwa Ibom people should be considered on quota before others, since the oil is coming from their area. It doesn't stop highly specialized people from other parts of the company from joining.

Also, GT is owned mostly by Yorubas, so it should come as no surprise if there are majority Yorubas in the bank. Likewise WEMA, which is owned by Odua Investment.
The equality argument should be left to government jobs at federal level. Not to each and every job in Nigeria.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by KayDee4: 1:20pm On Jun 25, 2012
Adido: He is not saying that Zenith bank favors only Agbor guys, he is saying that Agbor guys are the majority in the bank's branches. This I know to be true as I worked with Zenith bank. This does not mean that Zenith bank does not employ anyone else. Please read statements carefully before you attack them.

Maybe I still don't understand him, his statement got my brain a bit confused because if Zenith favours only Agbor guys ahead of people from other parts of Delta state, then people from other parts of Delta state will come before people from other parts of Nigeria undecided undecided ; I also worked in ZB for a good number of years and I didn't notice "a majority of Agbor guys" in my office or unit.

floriana: Zenith Bank does not favour all Deltans o. It favours only Deltans from Agbor. Number one and two in the bank currently are from Agbor. Top management is also heavily populated by Agbor people. Jim Ovia is an illustrious son of Agbor town.
jp philips:
it will take you decades to realize how far Nepotism has ruined this nation, who told you there are no jobs? and why are people unemployed? where does the job appear from when a chairman makes a call?
the employed will tell you how overworked they are but the "right" person has not come to fill the void yet.
who are the right people? people with contact or people that knows the job?

the word "merit" has left the Nigerian dictionary like 2 decades ago, even the writers of the Nigerian constitution were not selected on "merit" so why hope much.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen @ all, of course it does and I have witnessed it, maybe I haven't realized how 'bad' it is because there's something I'm missing out, on the other hand, it could be that people already have their minds wrongly set on the notion that there 'must' be a 'connection" or tribal influence to cross the hurdle . I just think this tribe thing is getting into people's head and some people give up without even trying. I worked in 2 of those institutions in the past and I got in with no connection or ethnic affiliations; I saw people come in the same way i did and some others just sat back without trying, asking how we did it or who we knew. Now @OP may not even bother to apply to some banks because he heard they don't favour his tribe and that will be an opportunity lost.

People in general are getting carried away by thinking there is tribal bias in everything and everywhere; I once had a guy (from my tribe) come into my office (in a bank) and the 1st question he asked me was how come most of the people in my office were from the opposite tribe and i told him i hadn't noticed that, out of curiosity, I went back to check and he was actually wrong. I wonder why people walk around with thoughts of "tribe this, tribe that" constantly on their minds, abeg free your minds of that ish and get on with ur hustle.

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by igboboy3(m): 8:50pm On Feb 17, 2016
Tropilo:

My brother, while your observation above could be true. The major reason you wouldn't find a Yoruba in Enugu or Owerri branches is because Yoruba's find it very difficult going eastwards or having to stay there. They rather you sent them to even Damaturu, Maiduguri or Kano.
I have had cause to shuffle some staff in my office in Nigeria (Abuja). As we had new projects in Imo and Ondo states.
The Yoruba chap was sent to Owerri while a Delta employee was to go to Akure. The Yoruba guy refused to resume in Owerri, instead preferred to be jobless in Lagos.

This is simply funny but true. Most Yorubas would hate staying in the South East. If they are also Muslim, then na game over!
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by asalimpo(m): 2:31am On Feb 18, 2016
The op is right in some cases.
Diamond and i think former intercontinental is/was highly igbotic.
NDIC - highly hausa-ish.

With predominance of one tribe in the organisation, non tribal employees will feel enstranged and their
rise within the organisation will be hard.

The dominant tribe infuses the atmosphere . Making it unbearable to outsiders.
e.g the tribal language and custom predominates . Other ethnicities feel excluded.
The enriching feel of a multi ethnic/racial community is lost.

But while the banks may be ethnic, you can't compare them to state civil services.
The tribalism is impregnable.

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by igboboy3(m): 12:03am On Feb 20, 2016
asalimpo:
The op is right in some cases.
Diamond and i think former intercontinental is/was highly igbotic.
NDIC - highly hausa-ish.

NDIC ke? Are you for real.

I don't ever know when DPR advertises, yet people dey full the place.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff / National Association Of Unemployed Graduates Openly Invites Trustees And Members / What Is Your Biggest Career Challenge Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.