Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,399 members, 7,815,871 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment (13277 Views)

Revealed: Practices In Nigerian Banks That Will Shock You / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers / Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by samkoro: 10:48pm On Jun 21, 2012
basher:

You've got a point here. Also, how many Yorubas are prepared to go and work in a bank filled and controlled by "omo Igbos"? Many would rather remain jobless. This probably explains the situation at diamond bank!

A typical Igboman is not afraid or uncomfortable to work in an organisation full of KKK,german Nazis,german skin heads,Russian racists,British conservatives and Yoruba tribalists cos he has a free and open mind,thus he associates freely beyond boundaries;making friends with enemies,learning languages.

A yoruba applicant will first smell the office door to know if it smells Aboki or Igbo b4 knocking at the door to submit CV.That's the truth.

That's why a yoruba acquantance I once encountered was very happy at me as if I was the one that employed him;telling me he thought he won't be taken cos he knew nobody.He did not tell me the real reason.People have lost opportunities due to prejudice.

Go to Diamond bank inner rooms and take statistics and you will see its better than FCMB in terms of ethnic diVersity

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by samkoro: 10:58pm On Jun 21, 2012
basher:

You've got a point here. Also, how many Yorubas are prepared to go and work in a bank filled and controlled by "omo Igbos"? Many would rather remain jobless. This probably explains the situation at diamond bank!

A typical Igboman is not afraid or uncomfortable to work in an organisation full of KKK,german Nazis,german skin heads,Russian racists,British conservatives and Yoruba tribalists cos he has a free and open mind,thus he associates freely beyond boundaries;making friends with enemies,learning languages.

A yoruba applicant will first smell the office door to know if it smells Aboki or Igbo b4 knocking at the door to submit CV.That's the truth.

That's why a yoruba acquantance I once encountered was very happy at me as if I was the one that employed him;telling me he thought he won't be taken cos he knew nobody.He did not tell me the real reason.People have lost opportunities due to prejudice.

Go to Diamond bank inner rooms and take statistics and you will see its better than FCMB in terms of ethnic diVersity
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by samkoro: 10:58pm On Jun 21, 2012
basher:

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by samkoro: 11:00pm On Jun 21, 2012
basher:

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by walkenz: 11:41pm On Jun 21, 2012
Asides tribalism there's also church affiliation which seems to be trending at the moment
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by bomboy12: 12:06am On Jun 22, 2012
what an interesting topic. d different shades of opinion expressed are worth considering. Pascal Dozie founded Diamond Bank and at present, is not on d board. HRH Igwe Nnaemeka, the Obi of Onitsha is d chairman of d bank. d last time i checked, Pascal Dozie was neither d chairman of MTN. again, i think i agree wit wot a contributor said w.r.t recruitment policy of banks e.g to gain market share. i am a rookie in d bankin sector; while in trainin sch, abt 80% of d trainees came from a particular section...
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by bomboy12: 12:18am On Jun 22, 2012
of Nigeria or enthic group. but we got along very well. i am now in a branch and still, dat same enthic group predominates from d BM to d HOD OPs. we still get along. i am happy dat i grew up in Lagos & my parents didnt train me to be an ehtnic jingoist. d above assertion by d initiator of dis thread is somewhat true. hweva, i wuld crave d indulgence of dose in d bankin industry 2 act professionally. it can be irritating especially wen d dominant ethnic group always speaks deir language.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by bomboy12: 12:22am On Jun 22, 2012
i hv elected to do my job to d best of my ability. and if am not rewarded accordingly, dere is always another organisation who will appreciate d value i will add to deir bizness. i pray dat someday, our ethnic proclivities which hamper our progress will be a thing of d past. i rest my case..
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by bomboy12: 12:28am On Jun 22, 2012
Note: i meant d last time i checked, Pascal Dozie was d chairman of MTN Nigeria
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Tropilo(m): 12:32am On Jun 22, 2012
dayokanu: The worst is Diamond bank

You would go to their branches in Lagos or Abeokuta and they would be filled with Igbos

I am not sure if GTB or Skye bank in Owerri is filled with Yorubas

My brother, while your observation above could be true. The major reason you wouldn't find a Yoruba in Enugu or Owerri branches is because Yoruba's find it very difficult going eastwards or having to stay there. They rather you sent them to even Damaturu, Maiduguri or Kano.
I have had cause to shuffle some staff in my office in Nigeria (Abuja). As we had new projects in Imo and Ondo states.
The Yoruba chap was sent to Owerri while a Delta employee was to go to Akure. The Yoruba guy refused to resume in Owerri, instead preferred to be jobless in Lagos.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Nobody: 12:33am On Jun 22, 2012
Tropilo:

My brother, while your observation above could be true. The major reason you wouldn't find a Yoruba in Enugu or Owerri branches is because Yoruba's find it very difficult going eastwards or having to stay there. They rather you sent them to even Damaturu, Maiduguri or Kano.
I have had cause to shuffle some staff in my office in Nigeria (Abuja). As we had new projects in Imo and Ondo states.
The Yoruba chap was sent to Owerri while a Delta employee was to go to Akure. The Yoruba guy refused to resume in Owerri, instead preferred to be jobless in Lagos.

The man does not want to get kidnapped.

That's if your story is true.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by samkoro: 1:45am On Jun 22, 2012
basher:

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by cfours: 1:57am On Jun 22, 2012

[b]A typical Igboman is not afraid or uncomfortable to work in an organisation full of KKK,german Nazis,german skin heads,Russian racists,[/b]British conservatives and Yoruba tribalists cos he has a free and open mind,

What a disturbing quote. These are the same people that like to complain about marginalization. but they will work with KKK, Nazi and even Lucifer.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by cfours: 2:10am On Jun 22, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

The man does not want to get kidnapped.

That's if your story is true.

exactly what was on my mind. He probably was fearing for his life. ibos don't have a reputation for being welcoming like yorubas are. at best, they are a very greedy and hostile ethnic group.

there is even evidence that during the slave trade majority of slaves in the Americas came from ibo land. and the ibos are so proud of this history. no shame in being the tribe that sold the most of their own people in exchange for alcohol and shiny metal.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Adido(m): 4:27am On Jun 22, 2012
From my personal experience, there is tribalism in some banks when they recruit for some major departments. For instance, I worked with Zenith Bank for about 1.5 years in the C&T unit. Though I was approved by an interview committee, The Head of HR and the Company Secretary to work in the Legal Department, I had to meet with Jim Ovia in person and he turned me down without interviewing me. I am a Yoruba guy. Meanwhile, the Igbo guy that was gunning for the same position got the job. This was despite the fact that the legal department needed both our services. Now I'm sure there might be other explanations for this, but nothing else makes sense to me. Also, in general, Zenith bank has a lot of staff from Delta State. Well, that is my contribution to this discussion, no one should crucify me abeg.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Adido(m): 4:31am On Jun 22, 2012
He is not saying that Zenith bank favors only Agbor guys, he is saying that Agbor guys are the majority in the bank's branches. This I know to be true as I worked with Zenith bank. This does not mean that Zenith bank does not employ anyone else. Please read statements carefully before you attack them.
Kay-Dee:

Guy, if you're saying Zenith Bank favours only Deltans from Agbor it means people from other states don't stand a chance ? Huh !!! undecided undecided
Makes no sense @ all to me.

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by tpia5: 4:41am On Jun 22, 2012
The major reason you wouldn't find a Yoruba in Enugu or Owerri branches is because Yoruba's find it very difficult going eastwards or having to stay there. They rather you sent them to even Damaturu, Maiduguri or Kano.

true sha.

a lot of yorubas dont really feel comfortable outside yorubaland.

people from certain areas of the southwest can live anywhere though, but mostly prefer the northern parts.

i feel its a cultural thing.

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by blacklion(m): 4:47am On Jun 22, 2012
dayokanu: The worst is Diamond bank

You would go to their branches in Lagos or Abeokuta and they would be filled with Igbos

I am not sure if GTB or Skye bank in Owerri is filled with Yorubas

Liar! Come to Diamond Bank Ajao Estate and Isolo branches and tell me if the people you saw there not mostly Yoruba and Edo.

Imagine calling out Diamond when GTB and Skye banks are there! GTB is absolutely the worst offender in this regard.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by blacklion(m): 5:04am On Jun 22, 2012
Long, long before the kidnapping scourge spread to Igboland from Niger Delta in the last 3-4 years, Yoruba people have always been reluctant to go East. As far back as 1980s, I noticed this trend. The Yoruba generally prefer the North because they feel there is less competition professionally or business-wise there. The other major reason is that many Yoruba regard northerners as malu who they can easily hoodwink; not so with the Igbo.

Ironically, the first set of indigenous lawyers and doctors practising in the East were mostly from Sierra Leone and Yorubaland until the 1930s when the first Igbo doctors, lawyers and other professionals began to emerge. By the 1950s, most of the Saro and Yoruba professionals could no longer withstand the competition and withdrew to Lagos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Megabyts(m): 5:43am On Jun 22, 2012
While aknowledging your inteligence and wits can take you to any position,but definately,in nija that applies to only those connected.hence,i concur with the topic.tribalism is openly applied in vacancy matters,
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by true2god: 6:49am On Jun 22, 2012
olaheavy: Why do fools keep referring to WEMA? It's a regional bank, for crying out loud! This honorable institution that has stood the test of time is owned by O'dua Investment Group which comprises all the states in the Western region! Why would they want to leave their own sons and daughters and blindly employ Igbo cannibals? My own question is why the Igbo-infested Diamond just didn't stay in Ibo land or the East, for that matter, when they knew they were going to be that tribalistic? At least you can be sure of seeing WEMA branches only/mainly in Yorubaland, why was Diamond bank extended to the West? We don't want any Igbo bank in the West tell them to pack up and leave!
Hope u r logically and psychologically ok.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by true2god: 7:00am On Jun 22, 2012
olaheavy: This 'moremi' person is another Igbo bastard in disguise. Millions of these yinminrin human-eaters were born, nurtured, and schooled in our Yorubaland. They tend to claim Yoruba as their ethnicity because they're ashamed of their cannibalistic Igbo heritage! Mother and fatherfucker go sleep with some human-eating Igbo LovePeddler! B'eru ba pe nile alajobi l'o ma n bu. Were, olosi, omo ale. Akindindinrin, omo Igbo onijekuje!
Guy igbos have a sizeable number of population in lagos and not the entire southwest. The reason being the presence of job opportunities and basic amenities of life, unlike most part of the country, lagos being the former federal capital territory. The number of igbos in oshogbo, ogbomoso, ijeshaland, oyo, akure, ife, etc is very very very small. And as a matter of fact u r not frm lagos state but maybe frm ogbomosho or any other village. Pls use ur brain well and get ur fact right wen makin ur false claims.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by true2god: 7:20am On Jun 22, 2012
DelePhd: @ OP, a fantastic observation!
Fidelity bank @ Computer village is a good example, dominated by Igbos.
The reason being dat and average igbo is hard working and can take calculated risk any time. An illiterate igbo has a better biz accumen dan an educated person frm other tribes in naija.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by otokx(m): 8:01am On Jun 22, 2012
Tribalism is a big problem in Nigeria
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by xavier047: 8:07am On Jun 22, 2012
olaheavy: This 'moremi' person is another Igbo bastard in disguise. Millions of these yinminrin human-eaters were born, nurtured, and schooled in our Yorubaland. They tend to claim Yoruba as their ethnicity because they're ashamed of their cannibalistic Igbo heritage! Mother and fatherfucker go sleep with some human-eating Igbo LovePeddler! B'eru ba pe nile alajobi l'o ma n bu. Were, olosi, omo ale. Akindindinrin, omo Igbo onijekuje!
you are a fucking retard, after reading all constructive post b4 your's and all u could spew from ur brain r dis crap, then u are mentally stunted. slowpoke

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by xavier047: 8:10am On Jun 22, 2012
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by charlsecy4(m): 8:19am On Jun 22, 2012
sweet_jummie: wen joseph sanusi was d cbn Governor,majority of d staffs dat were recruited during his tenor were yorubas,he practically flooded cbn wit yorubas,under d present gov too,saniso lamido sanusi,must of d staffs dat were employ just last year were mostly hausas

Does it mean that Lamido sent away all the Yorubas favoured by Joseph?
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by oiseworld: 9:11am On Jun 22, 2012
@ op, you'r right but its not about the people that work their but getting goog service. With time most of all this would pass away.

Nd for our information, its all over the world. Thou may not be on tribe and state issues, but like school attended,interest, religion and many more. anything can bring people together.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Humptydumpty(f): 9:42am On Jun 22, 2012
I beliv u can get evry job thru merit but stil dere is an atom of tribalism in job/cv requiremnts based on state of origin blah blah! In America watz required is ur residential address!
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Afam4eva(m): 9:48am On Jun 22, 2012
charlsecy4:

Does it mean that Lamido sent away all the Yorubas favoured by Joseph?
Remember there was Soludo in between.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by boneruns(m): 9:53am On Jun 22, 2012
The recent recruitment by Diamond bank has disproved these odds about abt them. Their recruitment has been free from nepotism and tribalism so long candidates passed their recruitment test. I even learnt a guy from the northern part of Nigeria who willing to work in the north was given an immediate deployment to resume.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Revolva(m): 10:19am On Jun 22, 2012
publisher: I have been made to understand that in order to increase your chances of getting a good job in certain Nigerian banks,you must belong to the right ethnic group.

Here's what i mean:
Wema bank - favours Yoruba jobseekers
Skye bank - favours Yoruba jobseekers
Unity bank - favours Hausa/ Northern Jobseekers
Zenith - favours Deltans/Delta Igbos
GTB - favours Yorubas
Diamond bank - favours Igbos
Access bank - favours Yorubas/Edos
Fidelity bank - favours Igbos
Union bank - favours Igbos
UBA - neutral
Fcmb - favours Yorubas
First bank - neutral

So people, is this gist true?

That's is why I said this gar damm nation should divide into northern nigeria and southern nigeria

People do things with sentiment here that's why the nation is backwards

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff / National Association Of Unemployed Graduates Openly Invites Trustees And Members / Which Is Better, Handwork Or Salary Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.