Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,018 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. (7647 Views)

Buhari Can’t Double President, Petroleum Minister – Ijaw Groups / Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service / Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by gerald28: 1:08pm On Jun 21, 2012
I want to know if Kalabari is igbo or Ijaw, I noticed they speak igbo quite fluently, example patience jonathan and some few I came across with. Feel free to make a contribution.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by EzeUche(m): 1:09pm On Jun 21, 2012
They are a Ijaw subgroup, but they are mixed with Igbo.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Torch1(m): 1:47pm On Jun 21, 2012
gerald28: I want to know if Kalabari is igbo or Ijaw, I noticed they speak igbo quite fluently, example patience jonathan and some few I came across with. Feel free to make a contribution.
The last time i checked they are still Ijaw subgroup just like EzeUche said but many of them in Port Harcourt city speak Igbo language very well.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by nduchucks: 1:49pm On Jun 21, 2012
Are they Ijaw or Igbo? If they are neither then state so.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Afam4eva(m): 2:18pm On Jun 21, 2012
They are grouped as Ijaws but most of those ijoid groups in rivers state understand Igbo very well. But some of them learnt Igbo by living in port-hacourt.

Mods, pls move to the culture section.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Onlytruth(m): 3:33pm On Jun 21, 2012
They are Kalabari, simple and short. They can speak both Igbo and Ijaw. People should stop belittling the MIX.
That mix will prove very difficult to resolve should there be a need to define them strictly (for whatever reason).
Left to me, I would recognize as many tribes in Nigeria as possible. People are more intelligent that we credit them.
If there is a need to self identify, I'm sure they would identify with any group that makes them feel safe and at home.
We would not be having this conservation if the Nigerian national ID card and census forms allow people to state their tribes by themselves. The form should ask a simple question: What is your tribe? Don't be surprised to find someone from Kano writing "Kano" as his tribe. He may be Hausa, but his brand of Hausa is not the same as those from Sokoto for instance. lol It changes nothing. The leaders of Nigeria have feared tribal identification as if it is responsible for all our problems.
Methinks that the "lack of" such identification follows a pattern of other "lack ofs" and "don't ask" policy which muzzle accountability in Nigeria, which leads to theft at all levels of government, which then stunts development.

Everybody should be allowed to answer his father's name. Simples.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Odunnu: 3:36pm On Jun 21, 2012
Is dame Patience Kalabari?
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Onlytruth(m): 3:37pm On Jun 21, 2012
Odunnu: Is dame Patience Kalabari?

I think she is even "Okrika". I could be wrong though.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by PROUDIGBO(m): 4:03pm On Jun 21, 2012
Odunnu: Is dame Patience Kalabari?

Onlytruth:

I think she is even "Okrika". I could be wrong though.

^^^Yeah, she's from Okrika, but her mum is Igbo and i think she lived somewhere in Igboland when growing up. She speaks 'Abia' dialect of Igbo, kinda like my Opobo cousins. smiley
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Dede1(m): 4:23pm On Jun 21, 2012
The identity of Kalabari or Okirika is shrouded in schemes of denial instigated by the crude politics of Nigeria. If I should go painstakingly in line with the founders of clans that metamorphous into Kalabari and Okirika, the names such as Nwagbara (Nwagbarie)(Alagbarie), Kamalu, Mbakamba, Ama-ikiri (Amakiri)(Amachere), Ediabali, Azumiri (Asimiri), Edimiri, Ama onyeabu (Amayenagbo),Owerri Di nda(Owerri Dada) etc are readily mentioned. In the other hand too, if the people chose to be the decedents of European porters (the boat people), it is okay with me.

The funniest aspect of the denial process is the manner in which the original names were changed or completely disappeared or profoundly replaced with English names.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Johndoe100(m): 4:43pm On Jun 21, 2012
This is something I ask times without number mention Rivers state or anything to do with it and these Ibo phucks just swarm the thread.
@OP
No Kalabari are not Igbo (the idea that they are thought to be ibo makes me want to throw up) and Mrs GEJ is Okrika.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Dede1(m): 4:52pm On Jun 21, 2012
No grandchild of European porter shall be branded Igbo. I know the places the first Europeans to African continent bought or recruited the porters who journeyed with them along the coast of what later became Nigeria. Ijo was never a tribe until a Portuguese.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Onlytruth(m): 6:31pm On Jun 21, 2012
Johndoe100: This is something I ask times without number mention Rivers state or anything to do with it and these Ibo phucks just swarm the thread.
@OP
No Kalabari are not Igbo (the idea that they are thought to be ibo makes me want to throw up) and Mrs GEJ is Okrika.

Much as I hate getting involved in what people choose to call themselves, I equally hate when someone chooses to borrow a derogatory word from Yoruba Nairalanders to describe his Igbo neighbors. That is very very dumb IMHO.

Since I came to Nairaland, I have not seen an Igbo person join Yoruba folks to call Ijaw "drunken fisherman", or many other countless names Yoruba give to Ijaw because of Jonathan.

You in particular are growing daily in stupidity. The "Igbo" will soon join the Yoruba to put you in your place.
Ezi ohia.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 21, 2012
Onlytruth:

Much as I hate getting involved in what people choose to call themselves, I equally hate when someone chooses to borrow a derogatory word from Yoruba Nairalanders to describe his Igbo neighbors. That is very very dumb IMHO.

Since I came to Nairaland, I have not seen an Igbo person join Yoruba folks to call Ijaw "drunken fisherman", or many other countless names Yoruba give to Ijaw because of Jonathan.

You in particular are growing daily in stupidity. The "Igbo" will soon join the Yoruba to put you in your place.
Ezi ohia.

Yet you have no problem using Hausa deragotry terms for Yorubas to insult us. LOL go siddon somewhere jor undecided
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Onlytruth(m): 6:41pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Yet you have no problem using Hausa deragotry terms for Yorubas to insult us. LOL go siddon somewhere jor undecided

I hardly use derogatory words to describe Yoruba or Hausa. Note the "hardly". lol cool
However, I have NEVER seen a Hausa use derogatory word to describe a Fulani, neither have I seen a Yoruba use extreme words against even Edo people sef talk less of Itshekiri people.
For an Ijaw to use such words against Igbo is very st,upid and self immolating. Any Ijaw that does that is a pig pure and simple. He is his own worst enemy in Nigeria.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by jason123: 6:42pm On Jun 21, 2012
Onlytruth:

Ezi ohia.

You must be high on new palm wine!
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Onlytruth(m): 6:44pm On Jun 21, 2012
jason123:

You must be high on new palm wine!

And you are high on crack! cool
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jun 21, 2012
Onlytruth:

I hardly use derogatory words to describe Yoruba or Hausa. Note the "hardly". lol cool
However, I have NEVER seen a Hausa use derogatory word to describe a Fulani, neither have I seen a Yoruba use extreme words against even Edo people sef talk less of Itshekiri people.
For an Ijaw to use such words against Igbo is very st,upid and self immolating. Any Ijaw that does that is a pig pure and simple. He is his own worst enemy in Nigeria.

If you're going to vilify someone, why not make sure you're in the best standard?

Don't be acting like a liar and a hypocrite as if someone of us just registered yest. There is no diff between you and Jondoe when it comes to insult Yorubas while incorporating insults from other tribes.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Onlytruth(m): 6:48pm On Jun 21, 2012
Before dumb folks like Jason123 and Ileke-Idi misquote me, let me clarify myself.

The goat Johndoe made a sweeping attack on ALL IGBO, not one individual who may have annoyed him.
That is what I mean by that I have not seen an Igbo make such attack against ALL Ijaw.

These Ijaw folks should be very careful in Nigeria I swear. Jonathan's term ends in 2015.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 21, 2012
Onlytruth: Before dumb folks like Jason and Ileke-Idi misquote me, let me clarify myself.

The goat Johndoe made a sweeping attack on ALL IGBO, not one individual who may have annoyed him.
That is what I mean by that I have not seen an Igbo make such attack against ALL Ijaw.

These Ijaw folks should be very careful in Nigeria I swear. Jonathan's term ends in 2015.

You've made many plenty sweeping attacks on ALL Yorubas. . . . your point?
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Dede1(m): 6:50pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Ekiti Ikebe, how are you? You seemed to be spending considerable amount of time on this forum lately. May I ask if Sharp-Sharp joint has closed down or is it just bad market?
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Onlytruth(m): 6:50pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Are you Ijaw? SMH at this type is misapprehension.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 21, 2012
Dede1:

Ekiti Ikebe, how are you? You seemed to be spending considerable amount of time on this forum lately. May I ask if Sharp-Sharp joint has closed down or is it just bad market?

Did your mother tell you that I left her hanging by herself. No I'm still there

1 Like

Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jun 21, 2012
Onlytruth:

Are you Ijaw? SMH at this type is misapprehension.

Just stop being a hypocrite. I've seen many Igbos insult Ijaws from a borrowed Yoruba D.T

You forgot Udezue or wtf his username is.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Dede1(m): 6:57pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Did your mother tell you that I left her hanging by herself. No I'm still there

I guess it is the joint where your father discovered your mother. You are an epitome of the saying "like mother like daughter and extension of the father".
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jun 21, 2012
Dede1:

I guess it is the joint where your father discovered your mother. You are an epitome of the saying "like mother like daughter and extension of the father".

Tell your mother her biggest customer comes in at 3pm today.

1 Like

Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Dede1(m): 7:02pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Tell your mother her biggest customer comes in at 3pm today.

Since the Igbo boy gave you a rough rob with a maxium jolt and dropped you like a rotten sack of Boise Potatoes, you seemed to appear snake beaten whenever you see the word-Igbo.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 21, 2012
Dede1:

Since the Igbo boy gave you a rough rob with a maxium jolt and dropped you like a rotten sack of Boise Potatoes, you seemed to appear snake beaten whenever you see the word-Igbo.

Are you saying a Yoruba girl left you hanging? Or did a Yoruba man tossed your sauce and left you for a Huasa man?
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Dede1(m): 7:10pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Are you saying a Yoruba girl left you hanging? Or did a Yoruba man tossed your sauce and left you for a Huasa man?

I am saying you need a serious regiment of contortion to whip your crooked body into shape to warrant a second look from Igbo boys. I do not discuss my escapades or bed etiquette in public.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jun 21, 2012
Dede1:

I am saying you need a serious regiment of contortion to whip your crooked body into shape to warrant a second look from Igbo boys. I do not discuss my escapades or bed etiquette in public.

So it was a YORUBA man. We all know how you "Uches" loves to stylishly drop your soap and bend cool
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Dede1(m): 7:21pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

So it was a YORUBA man. We all know how you "Uches" loves to stylishly drop your soap and bend cool

I guess you know one or two things about bending over your knees.
Re: Please I Want To Know If Kalabari Is Igbo Or Ijaw. by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 21, 2012
Dede1:

I guess you know one or two things about bending over your knees.

Why wouldn't I? You know I get the same amount of customers as your mother.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jigawa Speaker, Idris Garba, Impeached / APGA Members Scamper For Food And #1000 For Attending Flag-off (pics) / Governor Ibrahim Gaidam Wins Yobe East Senatorial Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.