Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,822 members, 7,817,396 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (1105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4402118 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1102) (1103) (1104) (1105) (1106) (1107) (1108) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Akorkor(f): 6:34pm On Aug 23, 2017
Charis15:
I want to wean my son. Biting my nipple anyhow with sharp teeth. So today was intense. I was bleeding from my nipple there and then I knew it's over. So no more breastfeeding. I wanted him to get to a year but he walked at 10months. So advice from my seniors. He's my first.
Thanks
Jeez!!! Biting till bleeding?!! That's serious ohh. Other mama will shook mouth. If my DD bite like that I go just throw way my breast go corner cos I know that thing will be painful like hell. Pele
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MoyosBlog123: 6:41pm On Aug 23, 2017
Thanks ma.
Akorkor:

I pick the option of receiving at a pickup which is DHL office beside my area. You can also do door delivery.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Chanbaby: 11:15pm On Aug 23, 2017
hunniesuzie:
Ok, This is the method I was told to try but I have 2 caveats:

1. I never see my own oh
2. I was told it takes a while (2 to 3 weeks) to be delivered so patience is key.

I Ordered from Mall for Africa grocery direct. It's about 3k for a pack of 78 and shipping is free. My own suggestion is to wait till I see my own before you put hand

I will explain the process when I receive my items

cc enque

Pls mama come and explain how it works let me try too oh.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Charis15(f): 12:49am On Aug 24, 2017
Yes oh.
Very sharp teeth.
I don't understand, he does it each time he wants to pull his mouth out.
So I screamed and gave him a nice sound.
My burst is heavy and painful now.

Akorkor:

Jeez!!! Biting till bleeding?!! That's serious ohh. Other mama will shook mouth. If my DD bite like that I go just throw way my breast go corner cos I know that thing will be painful like hell. Pele
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Esther232(f): 1:56am On Aug 24, 2017
Gudmornin mummies in d hux, am new here and also am a new mom. my three months and two week baby has catarrh for some days now, I hv used paracetamol and vitamin c but it didn't work pls wat will I use. And also something is coming out from her body it looks like eczema wat will I use to clear it pls. thanks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tatacherie: 5:27am On Aug 24, 2017
Onegai:
Whew, finally back, what did I miss smiley how's the thread going? This place is filled with new faces so hello everyone! Try and contribute, also bring up new topics you may wanna share.

Will go through all mentions and try to answer them.
BTW, everyone using Mall for Africa, how reliable are they, what are their rates?

Tatacherie, I'm so proud of what you did with that crochet-tutu dress. It looks like it won't be too hot in our weather. How much do you charge for dresses?
Woohoo! Welcome back Ma'am. Na you I thank pass oo
My ruff and tumble biz has kicked off cheesy.I'm still charging 6k for the crochet tutu dress for now grin
I made these too.eshe pupo for all the ginger
Special thanks to Alphahandmaiden for opening the creativity thread and partageing her knowledge Godbless you real good Ma

11 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Giddyperson: 6:12am On Aug 24, 2017
When she wakes up by 5:30 and starts commentary cry How do people manage to go to work in the morning after this kind of night.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by msbyao: 6:24am On Aug 24, 2017
coolniks:
Good evening mamas, how are your LO doing. Please make una help me touch light this mata. My 23 months old hasn't started talking o. He is my first and presently the only. .

Hi coolniks, I wouldn't employ a wait and see approach . Time is of the essence if there is actually an issue. To assess autism, a developmental paediatrician is required. Also, you can go through this post for red flags of autism. https://www.nairaland.com/3709096/autism-awareness-week---seeing-world-different . I saw this post when my LO was 14 months, I was afraid and went to the hospital. The pediatrician picked a key which he looked at and she shook the bunch and he heard. The conclusion was there's nothing to worry about, he can see and hear and i shold come back whEN hes 3 years old if i still suspect autism.I started my research and thank God I did.
In essence, a mother's instinct is very important. You know your child.in the meantime, I suggest getting g GEMIINI. Just search for it on Google or Facebook. There are scholarship plans and it helps with both receptive and expressive speech.
A friend told me then "if you start today and there's no issue, you would have lost nothing. But if you wait to see if there is an issue and there is, you would have lost a lot ". The option is yours. Your LO will do just fine.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by symmetric: 6:25am On Aug 24, 2017
Prevents Diaper Rash on Babies

Shea butter makes a great diaper rash ointment for your baby because of its antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that can fight off yeast. Raw shea butter can help improve blood circulation promoting cell regeneration while providing improved collagen production.

Both cell regeneration and collagen production are important to healing diaper rashes quickly. Since most children are exposed to a large number of chemicals through the numerous products found on the shelf, this is the perfect DIY solution to help avoid those chemicals and ensure comfort and rapid healing for your baby.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 24, 2017
Mamas good morning all. Please make una put mouth for my matter. My dd weighed 2.7kg at birth and now she's 18months nd weighing weighing 12.6kg. Are we doing well or nay? Cc Zaynie Liftedhands helovesme Alphahandmaiden nd all sabi mamas.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 9:01am On Aug 24, 2017
4:45. Every morning. Now I wake up at 4:30 latest undecided undecided undecided

Giddyperson:
When she wakes up by 5:30 and starts commentary cry How do people manage to go to work in the morning after this kind of night.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 9:26am On Aug 24, 2017
hunniesuzie:

grin grin grin
been waking by 4am since my LO started creche at 3 months
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 9:30am On Aug 24, 2017
Morning all!I get issue oh!My s*x appeal decided to go on sabbatical leave or will I say missing in action!I found out dat since after d birth of Jay,dat ministry just doesn't appeal to me again!I don't enjoy it at all!Is dis normal or a thing of concern(am alrdy worried)!Who has had dis kind of xperience n how did u handle it!Please I need ervy ones opinion on this(is a serious issue)!Thanks,i await contributions! Nobody has bother to ansa my research question! Guess calling sum names will wrk d magic!Will mention few dat I can reemba n odas can contribute too!
Alphahandmadien
Enque
Giddyperson
Onegai
Akorkor
Helovesme
JazzyJazz
Zaynie
Chanbaby
And odas please,i need inputs please!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 9:32am On Aug 24, 2017
Giddyperson:

my dd wakes at 5am n starts to kick or play with her Dad, cos me don wake since 4am de prep for the day.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 24, 2017
LadyPrecy:
Edible Mamas good morning all. Please make una chill mouth for my matter. My dd weighed 2.7kg at birth and now she's 18months nd weighing weighing 12.6kg. Are we doing well or nay?.

She exercises everyday (jumping/running/playing /walking/climbing) unlike when she was still a baby.
As far as she eats well/her bone is strong /no sickness, there's no need to worry.

Secondly are you on the slim side or maybe hubby or family member? Gene plays a major role too.

At bolded, perishable or non perishable? grin
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by fruitfulhome: 9:52am On Aug 24, 2017
Abiagirl777:

It is subsidized by shell/Mobil oil companies not free.It'd better to use their health scheme which almost everybody uses which makes it cheaper,its #10k for one person though you'll pay for one other person of your choice(mandatory),which means you pay #20k which covers your(2ppl) health bill for one Yr in whatever issue including childbirth.
The downside is the crowd but you get to meet qualified personnel at a cheap rate.
If you live around Eleme,Eneka,oil mill,Rumukwurushi area,they have their 2nd branch at Rumukwurushi roundabout just beside Genesis fastfoods which a lot of ppl are unaware of but there's less crowd there.

Goodmorning Abiagirl. Please the Rumukrushi Extention of Obio Cottage, is it same with the primary health care? Because what i saw there is the primary health care which everyone I asked didn't give me cogent answer. I thought it will be same with the Obio Cottage? Please hep
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Giddyperson: 10:06am On Aug 24, 2017
hunniesuzie:

enque:

my dd wakes at 5am n starts to kick or play with her Dad, cos me don wake since 4am de prep for the day.
choi so this is my life from next month
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by perfectcrown(f): 10:10am On Aug 24, 2017
Good morning mamas. Trusting God we all had a goodnight rest?! Thank God for the gift of life!

Please,i'm sorry to derail the purpose of this thread. I have an issue that has been a serious concern to me. Does any mother here sing? As in,are you in a choir/band? How is you voice texture now,after you've had your baby/babies

Do you sing with ease now? Are you still able to hit your fomer range/octave

I used to have a very "silk" voice. I mean i could sing any song comfortably but after i had my first baby(in 2015) till i had my second baby now,i cant sing comfortably again. My voice is ""thicker" now.
Could this be bcus of child bearing or age? Or bcus i've not being REHEARSING as i used to

I'm really worried ooo! I've googled but no useful info.

Pls is any mama in this situation? What is the remedy/advise?

Please tell me,i'm not in this alone.

Make una no waka pass,abeg una with God! Make una help me chuk mouth!

Thanks in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 24, 2017
@perfectcrown, I didn't use to sing in choir, but my voice was nice though. During pregnancy my voice thickened and After birth, it's worse. People that knew me before I gave birth, when I speak to them, they keep asking what happened to your voice. Abeg if you end up getting a solution, please share. No be only you waka come!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 10:34am On Aug 24, 2017
Giddyperson:

That's why some people(mums) literally sleep on duty cheesy

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 24, 2017
Hello mamas! Please what did you use for lo when he/she was teething? My baby (3months+) keeps putting her fingers in her mouth, spits often, and though her gum is without teeth but she drags my nipple with the gum and it's so painful. Please what can I use to soothe her gum other than teething rings? maybe like drugs?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jazzyjazz: 11:04am On Aug 24, 2017
Naomi14:
Hello mamas! Please what did you use for lo when he/she was teething? My baby (3months+) keeps putting her fingers in her mouth, spits often, and though her gum is without teeth but she drags my nipple with the gum and it's so painful. Please what can I use to soothe her gum other than teething rings? maybe like drugs?

Teething rings only please
Teething process is not painful and shouldn't cause any discomfort but if there's fever then pcm will do the job.

You can put the teething ring in the fridge to get cold, then give to her It will ease the discomfort
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 11:12am On Aug 24, 2017
tatacherie:

Woohoo! Welcome back Ma'am. Na you I thank pass oo
My ruff and tumble biz has kicked off cheesy.I'm still charging 6k for the crochet tutu dress for now grin
I made these too.eshe pupo for all the ginger

Cc ifyalways, she has dropped price. Tatacherie, shey you know "Tata Cherie" can be translated to "Sweet/Love/Dear baby", so you already have a business name. Make some more in different styles and patterns, organize photoshoot in a park, use balloons and flowers as props. Your logo "Tatacherie" can be in pink cursive font (you can whip up something in MS Word). You make bespoke dresses for girls, especially for special occasions like 1st birthdays or bridal. Can you incorporate Ankara or native fabrics?

Una see how bizness don start?! No copy am o grin

10 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 11:26am On Aug 24, 2017
Naomi14:

no need for drugs...she isn't ill
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 11:30am On Aug 24, 2017
Onegai:

Cc ifyalways, she has dropped price. Tatacherie, shey you know "Tata Cherie" can be translated to "Sweet/Love/Dear baby", so you already have a business name. Make some more in different styles and patterns, organize photoshoot in a park, use balloons and flowers as props. Your logo "Tatacherie" can be in pink cursive font (you can whip up something in MS Word). You make bespoke dresses for girls, especially for special occasions like 1st birthdays or bridal. Can you incorporate Ankara or native fabrics?

Una see how bizness don start?! No copy am o grin

twale mama!!!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by perfectcrown(f): 12:03pm On Aug 24, 2017
Naomi14:
@perfectcrown, I didn't use to sing in choir, but my voice was nice though. During pregnancy my voice thickened and After birth, it's worse. People that knew me before I gave birth, when I speak to them, they keep asking what happened to your voice. Abeg if you end up getting a solution, please share. No be only you waka come!

Thanks all d same for your input.

Someone once asked me(last year) in one of our rehearsals that what happened to my voice? It does not sound like before. I just smiled and "shifted".

I will mention you IF i find solution.

Thanks ma
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 1:00pm On Aug 24, 2017
coolniks:
Good evening mamas, how are your LO doing. Please make una help me touch light this mata. My 23 months old hasn't started talking o. He is my first and presently the only. He only says baba for his dad, maa for me, si for six, kiss,and see. He babbles alot also He likes to watch tv a lot which am trying to reduce. He has started school as well. We have gone to have his earing checked and it came out clean, the paediatrician also did an evaluation for Autism. He said he doesn't have it. However he sometimes wouldn't respond to his name when called especially while watching tv. He doesn't always point at things. He loves being around kids, adults have to stay for a while b4 he warms up to you. He is good around familiar faces. He has no issue with eye contact. I have been trying to teach him body parts, he won't respond when I say touch your nose or eyes but he will put my hand his head when I say head. He likes to play ball and climb anything available. He doesn't always sit calmly either, he is always opening this touching that, scattering. he won't get the ball when I say fetch your ball or get your shoes. He understands very little command like come here, sit down, take food, stop it, wave bye, kiss mummy. The doctor said to make him say things before giving him. Like do you want water or milk he will only point at what he wants and if you dont give he just walks away or starts crying. He loves been read to and scrabbling. He is also strong willed, he knows what I mean by kiss mummy but sometime when I say kiss mummy he wil just look at me like what is she talking about. There was a day he was pulling my hands and holding his book which means he wants me to read, I told him say read, he kept on pulling and I kept saying say read, he got tired and left me and kept flipping over pages, I then wanted to read to him he pushed me away. He knows what things are used for, Mama please help how do I get him to start talk. Am sick with worry all kids in his class are talking and potty training with him is difficult. My MIL said not to worry his dad didn't talk till age 2 and till date his dad isn't much of a talker and am not either. In fact his Ped.mention of that factor as well. I have seen two other doctors who think to wait till he is 2 1\2. He never had issues with reaching milestones except for communicating. and all the sabi mummys please help.

I think there is nothing wrong with your son. Kids that age can make so much progress in milestones within a month. A child can go from saying just one word at 20 months to saying 10 words at 23 months. My son is about 2-3 weeks older than yours and I know where he is speech wise now compared to where he was at 16 months.

Do not compare your child with other children. I have come to realise that if you ask a parent how old their child is, if the child is actually 2years and 11 months old, they will tell you the child is '2years old'. The fact is that there is a massive difference in the speech and communication skills between a child aged 24 months (2years) and another aged 34 months (2 years and 10months). so when next you see that 'two years old' child telling her mum what she had for breakfast, lunch and dinner, ask well, the child is just shy of 3years.

That said, I believe in trusting a mother's instincts and I do not think you did wrong by having him checked by a doctor - it only shows that you are a caring and proactive mum. Sometimes our instincts are right. Now, let's assume there is the slightest trace of autism - the doctors are not going to put him on any medication. All they can do is come up with different mental development exercises/techniques that you can use to help him improve his speech and communication skills, so you can as well imbibe some of some techniques and start now. All it takes is a lot of love, patience and commitment and you will see drastic improvement.

First of all, you need to work on his diet. There are many articles online on foods that aid brain development in children. This is the time to replace ogi (if you are an ogi voltron tongue) with oats/oatmeal. This is the time to introduce varied vegetables and fruits in his diet. Prepare efo riro heavily garnished with assorted fish, small prawns, etc and give your child. Give him bread with peanut butter (you can actually make peanut butter yourself at home). Google - there are many articles from reputable websites discussing food that aid brain development in toddlers. Multivitamin syrup should not be used to replace feeding a toddler a rich/varied diet.

Secondly, since he goes to a crèche/nursery/day-care/preschool, you need to find out from his teachers what activities they engage him in. At the end of the day when you pick him up, always ask what they've been up to during the day - this chat doesn't take up to 5 minutes. No matter how pressed I am for time, i always get a recap of my son's activities for the day. what he was fed with, how many wet/soiled diapers, how much sleep he has had during the day and what activities they engaged him in. You are paying for the services they render, so you have every right to demand daily answers to these questions. Regularly discuss areas of improvement you will want seen in your child -if its speech or his interaction with other kids, you let them know, so they can also focus on these areas. When you do see improvements, commend his teachers and let them know. The educational foundation of a child is very, very, very key and it encompasses not just speech, communication and writing but also social skills.

This is not the stage to teach him how to write 1,2,and 3. This is the time for activities that will enhance his mental development. This is the period for them to engage in activities such as painting, drawing, recognising and naming animals, sorting items into boxes, messy play, singing, dancing, etc. if you are not happy with the activities he is engaged with at his crèche, then speak to them about it or move him to another crèche where things are done properly. Again Google and you will see examples of activities that you can engage your child with.

You need to seriously reduce his TV time. Personally, I am not a fan of cartoons at this age. I feel nursery rhymes are more beneficial to kids because they are a lot easier for kids this age to remember, hence it develops/improves their memory. It also helps their speech. My son learned how to name body parts from the popular nursery rhymes 'head, shoulder, knees and toes''. You should also learn to sing along with him to nursery rhymes and amuse him. I sing, make funny faces and do a choreography for my son and he absolutely loves it. Sometimes he attempts to copy the choreography and he also attempts to sing along or finish the song with me. We do this so often that sometimes I get bored and want to stop but he insists I continue. Popular classics like 'row, row, row your boat''. ‘‘Old MacDonald has a farm'', if you are happy and you know'', etc are great with kids. You can get so many easy to follow rhymes from YouTube.

As a mother, you need to communicate with your child in English and speak to him like an adult. For example, you want to take him to the bathroom. You tell him what you are about to do and while in the bathroom, you pick his sponge and say sponge about three times and then drop it. Do the same with soap. With time he would be able to recognise these simple items and say them.

Regarding obeying instructions, you need to teach him. If you want him to get his ball, you tell him what you are about to do 'let go and pick your ball', then you hold his hand and you both walk together to pick up the ball and then hand it to him. As at 14months or so, my son could drop his diaper in the dustbin. I taught him by using the technique is have just explained. If I want him to get something for myself, for example my phone. I will tell him calmly 'mama wants to get her phone from the bedroom. I will hold his hand, we will walk to the bedroom together, I will pick up my phone , show him and repeat the word 'phone' about three times and then we walk back''. Now my son runs errands for me. He gets my charger, brings my phone from the bedroom, brings my handbag, drops rubbish in the dustbin, he gets his shoes, brings a fresh diaper when it’s time for diaper change, etc.

Repetition and routine really works at this stage. My son can count 1-3 and how did I teach him? Anytime we both walk on steps, I will hold his hand for support and count 1-2-3. I did this so many times as a routine and now once he is on any stairs, he starts counting 1-2-3.

Repeating words to your child works - especially simple words. For example, you want to give him an apple. You tell him ''apple'' and repeat the word like 4 times. Before you know it, he will say 'apple''. Start/stick with one syllable and two syllable words. As soon as his speech improves, then move to three syllable words.

You also need to get books - basic pictorial books with few words but big pictures (popup books are a waste of money at this stage as he would most likely get them torn). Get books with pictures of animals with one/two syllable names like dog, chicken, donkey, etc. so you open the book, point to the animal, pronounce the name of the animal and then make funny sounds to amuse him. For example, if you say 'dog', then you make barking noises. If its chicken, point it to him in the book and you flap your arms like a chicken. Not only will all these amuse him but he will also be interested in all you are saying. With time, not only will he say the words after you but he will also mimic the animal sounds you are making.

That a child is shy and quiet doesn't mean they should not be able to communicate when they are in their comfort zone. Saying 'baba' and 'mama' at this age is normal. My son only calls me ‘mama’ when he is upset. It is only within the last week he started calling me 'mum'.

The 'not kissing' you part is normal. my son has his moments and sometimes he ignores me when I request for one. In fact now he tells me 'noooooooooooo' and shakes his head when I ask for a kiss when he is not in the mood. Sometimes he will just bring his forehead to my lips. However, when I least expect, he would hug me and splatter my face and lips with saliva on top of this kissing issue. I learnt recently that he knew what a 'hug' meant and how to give one. Apparently, at his nursery, if you upset another child (for example, by not sharing a toy or pushing a child, etc), you walk up to that child, they are instructed to say sorry (even though some of them can't pronounce the word sorry) and then you hug each other.

In summary, communication and patience is key. Speak to him like you would speak to an adult. Even while you are doing tasks that relates to yourself, let him know what you are about to do. If you want to drink water, tell him 'let’s go to the kitchen. Mama wants to drink water''. Then you go to the kitchen, get the water, say the words 'cup' and 'water' a few times, drink and offer him some. If you want to go to the bathroom to pee and he wants to accompany you, you tell him what you are about to do, you pee, wash your hands and wash his hands too. Now my son always wants to flush the toilet on my behalf and even without prompting, he wants to wash his own hands too.

Finally, kids this age thrive on praise. Anything he does well, no matter how small, you need to praise him, clap for him, give him a big smile and say 'good boy'. I do this all the time that now my son praises himself and says 'good boy' when he does something he feels is an achievement (eg. spilling water on the floor and then getting the mop). It could even be for rather cheeky things like pressing a random button on the remote control when I am engrossed with what i am watching - he then smiles and says 'good boy'.

Be positive, pray and tell God what you want for your son, try not to shout or get angry or frustrated anytime you feel he should be doing something and he isn't.

All will be well smiley

52 Likes 31 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by queensnow: 1:25pm On Aug 24, 2017
This is what my son is doing too pls can I see d teething ring.
Naomi14:
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 2:34pm On Aug 24, 2017
Hello Mamas,

Pls who has an idea of the price of a medela electric breast pump and/or an avent manual pump.

biko i'm asking for a friend....it's kinda urgent.

Thanks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by osas4g: 2:45pm On Aug 24, 2017
Wao! Thank you mama for this. It is very timely for me. God bless you
helovesme:

I think there is nothing wrong with your son. Kids that age can make so much progress in milestones within a month. A child can go from saying just one word at 20 months to saying 10 words at 23 months. My son is about 2-3 weeks older than yours and I know where he is speech wise now compared to where he was at 16 months.

Do not compare your child with other children. I have come to realise that if you ask a parent how old their child is, if the child is actually 2years and 11 months old, they will tell you the child is '2years old'. The fact is that there is a massive difference in the speech and communication skills between a child aged 24 months (2years) and another aged 34 months (2 years and 10months). so when next you see that 'two years old' child telling her mum what she had for breakfast, lunch and dinner, ask well, the child is just shy of 3years.

That said, I believe in trusting a mother's instincts and I do not think you did wrong by having him checked by a doctor - it only shows that you are a caring and proactive mum. Sometimes our instincts are right. Now, let's assume there is the slightest trace of autism - the doctors are not going to put him on any medication. All they can do is come up with different mental development exercises/techniques that you can use to help him improve his speech and communication skills, so you can as well imbibe some of some techniques and start now. All it takes is a lot of love, patience and commitment and you will see drastic improvement.

First of all, you need to work on his diet. There are many articles online on foods that aid brain development in children. This is the time to replace ogi (if you are an ogi voltron tongue) with oats/oatmeal. This is the time to introduce varied vegetables and fruits in his diet. Prepare efo riro heavily garnished with assorted fish, small prawns, etc and give your child. Give him bread with peanut butter (you can actually make peanut butter yourself at home). Google - there are many articles from reputable websites discussing food that aid brain development in toddlers. Multivitamin syrup should not be used to replace feeding a toddler a rich/varied diet.

Secondly, since he goes to a crèche/nursery/day-care/preschool, you need to find out from his teachers what activities they engage him in. at the end of the day when you pick him up, always ask what they've been up to during the day - this chat doesn't take up to 5 minutes. No matter how pressed I am for time, i always get a recap of my son's activities for the day. what he was fed with, how many wet/soiled diapers, how much sleep he has had during the day and what activities they engaged him in. you are paying for the services they render, so you have every right to demand daily answers to these questions. Regularly discuss areas of improvement you will want seen in your child -if its speech or his interaction with other kids, you let them know, so they can also focus on these areas. when you do see improvements, commend his teachers and let them know. The educational foundation of a child is very, very, very key and it encompasses not just speech, communication and writing but also social skills.

This is not the stage to teach him how to write 1,2,and 3. This is the time for activities that will enhance his mental development. This is the period for them to engage in activities such as painting, drawing, recognising and naming animals, sorting items into boxes, messy play, singing, dancing, etc. if you are not happy with the activities he is engaged with at his crèche, then speak to them about it or move him to another crèche where things are done properly. Again Google and you will see examples of activities that you can engage your child with.

You need to seriously reduce his TV time. Personally, I am not a fan of cartoons at this age. I feel nursery rhymes are more beneficial to kids because they are a lot easier for kids this age to remember, hence it develops/improves their memory. It also helps their speech. My son learned how to name body parts from the popular nursery rhymes 'head, shoulder, knees and toes''. You should also learn to sing along with him to nursery rhymes and amuse him. I sing, make funny faces and do a choreography for my son and he absolutely loves it. Sometimes he attempts to copy the choreography and he also attempts to sing along or finish the song with me. We do this so often that sometimes I get bored and want to stop but he insists I continue. Popular classics like 'row, row, row your boat''. ‘‘Old MacDonald has a farm'', if you are happy and you know'', etc are great with kids. You can get so many easy to follow rhymes from YouTube.

As a mother, you need to communicate with your child in English and speak to him like an adult. For example, you want to take him to the bathroom. You tell him what you are about to do and while in the bathroom, you pick his sponge and say sponge about three times and then drop it. Do the same with soap. With time he would be able to recognise these simple items and say them.

Regarding obeying instructions, you need to teach him. If you want him to get his ball, you tell him what you are about to do 'let go and pick your ball', then you hold his hand and you both walk together to pick up the ball and then hand it to him. As at 14months or so, my son could drop his diaper in the dustbin. I taught him by using the technique is have just explained. If I want him to get something for myself, for example my phone. I will tell him calmly 'mama wants to get her phone from the bedroom. I will hold his hand, we will walk to the bedroom together, I will pick up my phone , show him and repeat the word 'phone' about three times and then we walk back''. Now my son runs errands for me. He gets my charger, brings my phone from the bedroom, brings my handbag, drops rubbish in the dustbin, he gets his shoes, brings a fresh diaper when it’s time for diaper change, etc.

Repetition and routine really works at this stage. My son can count 1-3 and how did I teach him? Anytime we both walk on steps, I will hold his hand for support and count 1-2-3. I did this so many times as a routine and now once he is on any stairs, he starts counting 1-2-3.

Repeating words to your child works - especially simple words. For example, you want to give him an apple. You tell him ''apple'' and repeat the word like 4 times. Before you know it, he will say 'apple''. Start/stick with one syllable and two syllable words. As soon as his speech improves, then move to three syllable words.

You also need to get books - basic pictorial books with few words but big pictures (popup books are a waste of money at this stage as he would most likely get them torn). Get books with pictures of animals with one/two syllable names like dog, chicken, donkey, etc. so you open the book, point to the animal, pronounce the name of the animal and then make funny sounds to amuse him. For example, if you say 'dog', then you make barking noises. If its chicken, point it to him in the book and you flap your arms like a chicken. Not only will all these amuse him but he will also be interested in all you are saying. With time, not only will he say the words after you but he will also mimic the animal sounds you are making.

That a child is shy and quiet doesn't mean they should not be able to communicate when they are in their comfort zone. Saying 'baba' and 'mama' at this age is normal. My son only calls me ‘mama’ when he is upset. It is only within the last week he started calling me 'mum'.

The 'not kissing' you part is normal. my son has his moments and he sometimes my son ignore me when I request for one, in fact now he tells me 'noooooooooooo' and shakes his head when I ask for a kiss and he is not in the mood. Sometimes he will just bring his forehead to my lips. However, when I least expect, he would come hug me and splatter my face and lips with saliva on top of this kissing issue. I learnt recently that he knew what a 'hug' meant and how to give one. Apparently, at his nursery, if you upset another child (for example, by not sharing a toy or pushing a child, etc), you walk up to that child, they are instructed to say sorry (even though some of them can't pronounce the word sorry) and then you hug each other.

In summary, communication and patience is key. Speak to him like you would speak to an adult. Even while you are doing tasks that relates to yourself, let him know what you are about to do. If you want to drink water, tell him 'let’s go to the kitchen. Mama wants to drink water''. Then you go to the kitchen, get the water, say the words 'cup' and 'water' a few times, drink and offer him some. If you want to go to the bathroom to pee and he wants to accompany you, you tell him what you are about to do, you pee, wash your hands and wash his hands too. Now my son always wants to flush the toilet on my behalf and even without prompting, he wants to wash his own hands too.

Finally, kids this age thrive on praise. Anything he does well, no matter how small, you need to praise him, clap for him, give him a big smile and say 'good boy'. I do this all the time that now my son praises himself and says 'good boy' when he does something he feels is an achievement (eg. spilling water on the floor and then getting the mop). It could even be for rather cheeky things like pressing a random button on the remote control when I am engrossed with what i am watching - he then smiles and says 'good boy'.

Be positive, pray and tell God what you want for your son, try not to shout or get angry or frustrated anytime you feel he should be doing something and he isn't.

All will be well smiley

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Rhemy2013(f): 3:20pm On Aug 24, 2017
Sansa143:
Morning all!I get issue oh!My s*x appeal decided to go on sabbatical leave or will I say missing in action!I found out dat since after d birth of Jay,dat ministry just doesn't appeal to me again!I don't enjoy it at all!Is dis normal or a thing of concern(am alrdy worried)!Who has had dis kind of xperience n how did u handle it!Please I need ervy ones opinion on this(is a serious issue)!Thanks,i await contributions! Nobody has bother to ansa my research question! Guess calling sum names will wrk d magic!Will mention few dat I can reemba n odas can contribute too!
Alphamadienhand
Enque
Giddyperson
Onegai
Akorkor
Helovesme
JazzyJazz
Zaynie
Chanbaby
And odas please,i need inputs please!

This is also happening to me,kpekus is a no no for me cry..I jst had it wen my baby was 3mon wow dat shit is painful,my hubby said I need to see a therapist lol..buh like seriously i need help too.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1102) (1103) (1104) (1105) (1106) (1107) (1108) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.