Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,975 members, 7,821,412 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (795) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4410393 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (792) (793) (794) (795) (796) (797) (798) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by favouredmumsy: 9:44pm On Jan 14, 2017
What did he give you all those drugs for. Pls it's normal for newborns to breath fast while sleeping. My DD is also 2wks and she breaths fast while sleeping, its normal, my first son was also like dat. U can google it and read for yourself.
Madam please which of the drugs am I suppose to give him.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jazzyjazz: 9:50pm On Jan 14, 2017
This is Jazzyjazz joining you wonderful mamas from the preggy thread.

After 5 days in intensive care, my baby boy came home last night.

Born on monday at 8.44am, weighing 3.7kg

This is him at 6 days old

PS: I sabi ask questions well well o! So make una no vex for us

I'm having issues with latching and I've got sore and cracked nipples. Asides that, my boy feeds every 2hrs
Lanolin cream is not in pharmacies anymore as they are all complaining about dollar rate

I also had an episiotomy. Please how do I care for it so it can heal as the area stings anytime I urinate. 
Any suggestions?

14 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jamjam5000(f): 9:54pm On Jan 14, 2017
[quote author=mimibe post=52810803][quote author=feddy27 post=52802967

Hello feddy27, pls what baby product can I use for my newborn, he has rashes on his face and a little on his body.

Hi. I would.suggest you use aveeno anti itch lotion. It was prescribed by my daughter's paed. I use it anytime i see any sign of rash and it works like magic.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 14, 2017
[quote author=jamjam5000 post=52812012][/quote]thankyou so much

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hotmomma(f): 10:32pm On Jan 14, 2017
Jazzyjazz, you are welcome and u have a cute boy.
To your question about episiotomy, firstly u should take your sitz bath seriously, warm water, salt and dettol or savlon and sit for 10-15mins. Rinse after urinating and change pads frequently. You will be fine in no time and would be so ready to r... Oga soonest wink
Drink enough water while eating so that ur poo won't be so hard that wud lead to straining.
Keep an open mind about d healing cos it solely depends on your body but like 2weeks, u should see drastic improvement.
Once again you're welcome

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 10:52pm On Jan 14, 2017
mimibe:
[quote author=feddy27 post=52802967

Hello feddy..27, pls what baby product can I use for my newborn, he has rashes on his face and a little on his body.
Ps I'm in the US.

Thanks

Hey dear... so sorry about your son. there is this powder at Walmart called 'Gold bond'... very effective for rashes

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Gaily04(f): 11:22pm On Jan 14, 2017
AbbynHummy:
Goodevening mothers. Pls I need advice, I want to go for birth control cos we don't want another baby for now. Hubby suggested I go for implanon (3yrs). Anyone ever used that method of BC I need to knw how effective it is. Thanks

I have the 3 years implanon on. It was done last year, only spotted some days after the procedure and AF has not come near me. I heard it doesn't fail, although bodies differ. I have an appointment for this January, although I have been feeling sick, but I refuse to imagine that it can fail. I will confirm when I get to the clinic

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Gaily04(f): 11:25pm On Jan 14, 2017
@tatacherie,

Happy Birthday to baby Akela, may the Lord always direct her path.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jan 14, 2017
[quote author=feddy27 post=52813416][/quote] thank you mama

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 11:31pm On Jan 14, 2017
mimibe:
thank you mama

U re welcome dear
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Sameme2: 12:03am On Jan 15, 2017
sayoddy:
Well done mama. Pls custard is not meant for that age but you can try Semo in thick pap form and add formula. It helps baby add weight
Thank u very much for this, pls ma how do I go about making it and how many feeds per day?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Amhappy(f): 2:23am On Jan 15, 2017
Happy new year mothers.

How long does immunization fever last? BCG retaken on Friday afternoon at 6months +,now we're having fever. I gave pcm Friday night and Saturday morning and fever stopped so I discontinued. Only for me to touch baby this early morning and her body is very hot.

@Onegai I do really appreciate the effort and time you dedicated to this forum. God bless you. May 2017 bring good tidings to your family.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AbbynHummy(f): 10:56am On Jan 15, 2017
Gaily04:

I have the 3 years implanon on. It was done last year, only spotted some days after the procedure and AF has not come near me. I heard it doesn't fail, although bodies differ. I have an appointment for this January, although I have been feeling sick, but I refuse to imagine that it can fail. I will confirm when I get to the clinic

Ok. Thanks for ur reply
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by suzy(f): 11:19am On Jan 15, 2017
Hello beautiful mummy(s)

Am new here. FTM and baby girl born 3 Jan

Pls I av a question. My baby has rashes almost 3days after birth. Been using nycril and was introduced agnesia powder. But d rashes are not clearing very well. Pls wat can I use.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Mosi01: 12:39pm On Jan 15, 2017
jazzyjazz:

I'm having issues with latching and I've got sore and cracked nipples. Asides that, my boy feeds every 2hrs
Lanolin cream is not in pharmacies anymore as they are all complaining about dollar rate

A mama posted this earlier.....Quite long, I hope it helps

Try these ideas for preventing Tip soreness and solving the problem if it does happen.

1. Let your baby self-latch
Humans, like the newborns of other mammals, have innate breastfeeding abilities and are capable of finding the breast and latching on well with only minimal help from the mother. (Some medications and interventions in labour and birth may make this more difficult for some babies in the first hours and days after birth.) If the mother gets into a comfortable, semi-reclining position and puts the baby tummy-down on her body (gravity will help keep him there, but mom can use her hands to provide some support if needed), with the baby’s head near her breasts, the baby will orient himself by bobbing his head, and move towards the breast to latch on. This can take time, but usually
results in an effective, pain-free latch.

2. Use good positioning if you need to help the baby. Some babies (for example, those who were exposed to medications during labour and birth) may have difficulty in self-attaching. If you are breastfeeding sitting up, be sure your baby is tucked in close to you, tummy to tummy, and that your supporting hand or arm is placed behind her shoulders, not her head, so that she can tip her head back and bring the chin into the breast first. Your Tip should be pointed towards her nose, so that as she opens wide and tips her head back, it will be in the perfect place to slide deeply into her mouth, aimed at the roof of her mouth.

3. Adjust without unlatching
If your baby latches on, and it hurts, you know something is wrong. Sometimes mothers are advised to stick a finger in the baby’s mouth, unlatch him, and start over. The problem with this approach is that it is very frustrating for the baby: every time he starts nursing, he's taken off the breast. Some get so frustrated they refuse to nurse, or begin clamping down on the Tip. It also puts you at the risk of more Tip damage if the baby latches on incorrectly repeatedly. Instead, try first to adjust the baby's position while he’s nursing, so that the rest of the feeding can be more comfortable.

4. Watch for early hunger cues
Mothers with sore Tips often want to space feedings out as long as possible, and that’s definitely understandable! If something causes you pain, you want to do it infrequently. However, a very hungry baby isn’t going to have much patience, and may try to grab at your Tip, causing more pain. Feeding the baby as soon as he seems hungry will make it easier to work on getting a good latch every time.

5. Remember that not all sore Tips are caused by latch problems (although the majority are) Some other possible causes: thrush (a yeast infection on the skin of the Tip, which can also be inside the baby’s mouth); a bacterial infection on the Tip or in the milk ducts; a Tip bleb, which looks like a tiny white blister on the end of the Tip; Raynaud's syndrome, which is a condition where the Tip turns white after a feeding and hurts as the blood flows back in. If you suspect any of these (or some other issue) might be the problem, check with your doctor or a
lactation consultant for treatment recommendations.

6. Check for tongue-tie in baby
A baby with a tongue-tie isn’t able to lift his tongue or move it forward normally and this means she can’t use it to help extract milk from the breast. Instead the baby will push the Tip up with her tongue, pressing it against her hard palate as she sucks and often causing a lot of pain and damage. Look to see if your baby sticks her tongue out past her bottom lip and if she lifts her tongue to the roof of her mouth when crying. If she seems unable to make these movements, consult with your doctor. A medical professional can clip the membrane that restricts the tongue’s movement, which can make a big difference.

7. Use Tip shields cautiously, if at all
Tip shields are often recommended to protect sore Tips during feedings, but they can sometimes cause more problems than they solve. Tip shields look like bottle Tips made out of very thin silicone and are placed over the mother’s Tips before the baby latches on. However, often the baby doesn’t latch well onto the shield, the Tip continues to be damaged and the different shape and feel may lead to the baby having difficulty in breastfeeding without it. If other things haven’t worked, though, it may be worth giving it a try with the help of a lactation consultant.

8. Use your milk to heal cracked, bleeding or blistered Tips
Express a little milk onto the Tip and let it air-dry there. Be cautious about using lanolin or other creams; if you do have some thrush present, these creams can encourage it to grow. A prescription ointment (such as Dr. Jack Newman’s All-Purpose Tip Ointment) with ingredients to fight bacterial and yeast infections can help you heal as well. You can also take over-the-counter painkillers. Another option is to apply an ice pack just before you feed the baby to temporarily numb the Tip as you latch the baby on. One piece of good news:breastfeeding Tips generally heal very quickly once the cause of the damage (such as a latch problem) is resolved.

9. Air those Tips out
If your Tips are sore and damaged, you may find that anything touching them makes them hurt even more. You can use breast shells (donut shaped plastic items with a dome top; you put your Tip in the middle of the donut hole and the dome protects it from contact) to protect them from being touched by your bra. As much as possible, expose the Tips to the air so they will stay dry and heal.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaT1(m): 12:46pm On Jan 15, 2017
UmmTwins2:
Happy birthday beautiful princess!!!! 1st of many happy years in life by God's grace. May God keep u baby Akela. CHeerS! Weldone mama tata @tatacherie
AlphaT1 dnt worry he's most likely to change pattern soon. At least he sleeps during d day; my son never did, day or night n he's 15m now n we'r all doing great so I guess we learn to cope n adjust. Weldone to ur wife
Thanks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaT1(m): 12:48pm On Jan 15, 2017
Godmother:

Its never easy, especially in the first few weeks after they are born. You and wifey can make up by working with your son's timetable; sleep when he sleeps and stay awake when he does. Hopefully he adjusts soon so thinks can go back to normal. Sorry.
Yea..we will try working out his timetable.. Many thanks.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by roseval(f): 1:09pm On Jan 15, 2017
Baby Celestine saying happy Sunday to all mama's

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hotmomma(f): 1:34pm On Jan 15, 2017
Suzy, firstly what's causing the rashes? Is it heat rashes or breastmilk rashes? If its as a result of breastmilk, after breastfeeding, clean with clean damp warm cloth to wipe off d milk, if its heatrashes, reduce covering, dress baby a layer more than you, pending on the weather, as for the rashes there now, agnesia powder is very good but isn't magical so be patient with it, u can mix d powder with water to form Paste and rub on the affected area. Welcome to motherhood smiley
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jazzyjazz: 2:08pm On Jan 15, 2017
This goes a loooooong way. Thanks so much for posting.
Mosi01:

A mama posted this earlier.....Quite long, I hope it helps

Try these ideas for preventing Tip soreness and solving the problem if it does happen.

1. Let your baby self-latch

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by suzy(f): 6:44pm On Jan 15, 2017
hotmomma:
Suzy, firstly what's causing the rashes? Is it heat rashes or breastmilk rashes? If its as a result of breastmilk, after breastfeeding, clean with clean damp warm cloth to wipe off d milk, if its heatrashes, reduce covering, dress baby a layer more than you, pending on the weather, as for the rashes there now, agnesia powder is very good but isn't magical so be patient with it, u can mix d powder with water to form Paste and rub on the affected area. Welcome to motherhood smiley

Thank you. The rashes is from heat .wil have to continue wit agnesia then.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Gratefulaheart: 7:11pm On Jan 15, 2017
Gaily04:

So when on it AF doesn't come at all? shocked That looks unhealthy.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sayoddy(f): 10:53pm On Jan 15, 2017
Sameme2:
Thank u very much for this, pls ma how do I go about making it and how many feeds per day?
3tbspn of semo cooked in a 15tbspn of hot water.
Mix the semo in a cold water, pour on the cooking hot water on a low heat till it's thick like pap. Serve and add the mixed formula to it.

You can also try this with wheat but has to be processed one like Honeywell and not the one grounded by oneself

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tatacherie: 12:18am On Jan 16, 2017
Gaily04:
@tatacherie,
Happy Birthday to baby Akela, may the Lord always direct her path.
Amen thanks mama
Warm regards

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tatacherie: 12:22am On Jan 16, 2017
UmmTwins2:
CHeerS! Weldone mama tata @tatacherie
Amen to the prayers thanks a lot
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tatacherie: 12:23am On Jan 16, 2017
LadyPrecy:
@tatacherie Happy first birthday pretty Akela keep growing in the Abundance of Gods grace.
Amen! Thanks ma'am

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tatacherie: 12:25am On Jan 16, 2017
feddy27:
@tatacherie

Happy birthday baby akela! Grow and shine in wisdom and might
Thanks a lot n Amen to the prayer
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tatacherie: 12:27am On Jan 16, 2017
luscioustrish:

Beautiful girl...Happy birthday to her smiley
Thanks a lot mama

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tatacherie: 12:30am On Jan 16, 2017
dexterush:

Happy birthday princess,you will fulfill purpose,you will bring more joy and happiness to your home ,you will see many more happy years to come in Jesus name.send our cake oh mummy Akela(lovely name BTW)
Thanks mama,amen to all d prayers
Cake is on d way wink
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tatacherie: 12:32am On Jan 16, 2017
ebony13:
Happy birthday pretty baby Akela. Grow and shine hunnay!
@tatacherie
Thanks iyeejima ko ma! how are d twins doing
Warm regards! smiley
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tatacherie: 12:33am On Jan 16, 2017
Prettyhurts:

Happy birthday baby Akela. May you continue to grow stronger in the Lord
Amen! Thanks ma
Warm regards

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by luscioustrish(f): 5:47am On Jan 16, 2017
suzy:

Thank you. The rashes is from heat .wil have to continue wit agnesia then.

Hi,,try baby raving powder.

(1) (2) (3) ... (792) (793) (794) (795) (796) (797) (798) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.