Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (875) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4391235 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (872) (873) (874) (875) (876) (877) (878) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 1:05pm On Apr 25, 2017
Yesitsme:
I just did and got 70ml frm both breasts after squeezing life out of them embarassed.,.Will try again after an hour. Tanks
Just keep pumping, keep taking lots of fluids and don't​stress yourself over it cos that affects supply too and you would be fine.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 1:39pm On Apr 25, 2017
voucher:
Thanks mamas, the breastmilk supply increased overnight...I think I was stressed then..pls those that delivered through CS how long did it take before u wore postpartum belt? ** I dnt even knw if I hv asked this before** pls let me knw cos I need my flat stomach bk...thanks

You can wear a postpartum belt when you feel you have healed so it doesn't make your stitch reopen.
However, my doctor gave me go ahead to wear mine the next day after delivery cos I did not have any issue and no chance of my stitch coming open. Although my stomach isn't flat yet, but it's not too big.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Yesitsme(f): 1:41pm On Apr 25, 2017
sugah:

Just keep pumping, keep taking lots of fluids and don't​stress yourself over it cos that affects supply too and you would be fine.
but how long will I keep expressing as am hopeful getting a job soon? How do I handle it?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zimunachimdi: 1:55pm On Apr 25, 2017
feddy27:

No ma! Your baby still needs infant formula; stage 2
mummy feddy27,_what is the difference between skimmed,full creamed and cow milk? and what ages are they to take it?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 2:00pm On Apr 25, 2017
Yesitsme:
but how long will I keep expressing as am hopeful getting a job soon? How do I handle it?

It depends on your stress level..

For example, the last one week I was stressed about not making enough milk, so I was thinking​ about it all day cos I was home from work and when it gets to pumping time I'd get just 4oz total from both breasts after 1hr.
Yesterday I was at work all day and did not think about milk until I started feeling pains cos my breast was full. Got home and pumped 5oz from each breast in less than 30mins.

.....So in essence, the pumping would signal your brain and breast to produce milk in as early as 2 days but when you are stressed about it might take longer.

For the job part, I pump and keep in the fridge and my nanny feeds him.
Breastmilk can last 6days in the fridge (stored at the back of the fridge where it is coldest) and in the deep freezer for 6months
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 2:43pm On Apr 25, 2017
Once the cut heals. They took out my stitches after 2 weeks and I gave it another week

voucher:
Thanks mamas, the breastmilk supply increased overnight...I think I was stressed then..pls those that delivered through CS how long did it take before u wore postpartum belt? ** I dnt even knw if I hv asked this before** pls let me knw cos I need my flat stomach bk...thanks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 2:45pm On Apr 25, 2017
zimunachimdi:

mummy fed..dy27,_what is the difference between skimmed,full creamed and cow milk? and what ages are they to take it?

Skimmed milk is low fat milk
Full cream milk is rich in fats
Both are cow's milk

Less than 12 months, babies should take infant formula

12 months and above, they can take full cream milk eg miksi, peak, nido etc

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Fyngal1(f): 2:46pm On Apr 25, 2017
@feddy27 and mompurity27

Lactogen also contains skimmed milk
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by dosht(f): 2:50pm On Apr 25, 2017
SisiNini:

Rub Mupirocin Ointment on the affected parts ONLY. Also, he needs to use Zinnat Suspension to kill the ones in the body (please consult a Pead before u administer this oral drug).
Thanks ma'am. I'm trying one home remedy here. I've been seeing changes sha
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 3:02pm On Apr 25, 2017
Fyngal1:
@fed..dy27 and mom..purity27

Is it? O well, I just love it cos it's creamy and not "sugary"

I'm sure it does not also contain very high percentage unlike pure skimmed milk
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by folamee: 3:15pm On Apr 25, 2017
pls mamas can I use agnesia powder on my baby head and face? she has started having rashes on her face and head, she is just 2 weeks
cc zaynie, liftedhands
cc all mamas
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 3:16pm On Apr 25, 2017
Ok mamas, let's have a discussion!!!!

RETURNING TO WORK AFTER MATERNITY LEAVE

It's always a period of mixed feeling returning to work and leaving your lil one under the care of home nannies or crèches.

I would like us to discuss how we managed it, share tips that will be helpful for other mamas here.

So I will go first: For both babies, I resumed when they were 2 months + cos I took my maternity leave earlier to aid my travel plans. I normally leave my babies with a nanny at my gran's house so she supervises them.

Some things I did that helped me:

1. I resume on a Friday ! Yes, so that once the pressure starts coming, next is weekend to cool my head. Also, it helps to reduce separation anxiety

2. I breast feed in the morning before going out, baby takes formula till lunch break when I get back home to feed, she continues with formula till I'm back home by 4. From 4pm till daybreak, we do only breast milk.

3. Have a discussion with your boss to either resume 1hour late or close 1hour early. This will really be helpful. I chose to resume by 8am and close by 4 while my colleague chose to resume at 7am and close by 3pm

4. When you get back home, try spend some time bonding with your baby. Forget plates that have not been washed etc

5. Weekends is for I and the children.. I try to make up for my absence during the week. I take them out or stay all day at home with them

6. Try and take each day as it comes. Don't over stress yourself or feel like a bad mom! NO!!! You are doing a good job

7. I don't take work home for any reason! This is a personal rule I put for myself since I started having babies. Wateva I can't achieve between 8am - 4pm remains till the next day. As I shut down my system, I also shut down my "work mind"

I will add more as I remember.

Other mamas should please share their experiences we can all learn and help others

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zaynie(f): 3:22pm On Apr 25, 2017
folamee:
pls mamas can I use agnesia powder on my baby head and face? she has started having rashes on her face and head, she is just 2 weeks
cc zaynie, liftedhands
cc all mamas

Sometimes it's normal for babies to develop a rash.
It might be the soap or lotion. We switched from Aveeno to Coconut Oil and my baby's rash disappeared.

It might be the heat. I stopped swaddling her in the afternoons and the rash disappeared.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2017
Fyngal1:
@feddy27 and mompurity27

most formular are made with skimmed milk, even baby cereals and food that have milk in it are made with skimmed milk.

What one needs to understand is that these products have been fortified with a whole range of added nutrients, minerals and vitamins that ARE NOT present in normal milk. also full fat cows milk is very high in calcium and this may inhibit the absorption of quite a few minerals and vitamins that they have so carefully formulated. .

Also I suspect it is also because skimmed milk is easier to digest

So it is not an issue if a formulated baby product has skimmed milk. however on its own it is not nutritious enough for babies and children under 3 years old i think.

cc. Fyngal1

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by voucher(f): 4:20pm On Apr 25, 2017
Thanks Sugah nd Hunniesuzie....I will get one right away cos I dnt feel pains aymore
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zimunachimdi: 4:26pm On Apr 25, 2017
feddy27:

Skimmed milk is low fat milk
Full cream milk is rich in fats
Both are cow's milk

Less than 12 months, babies should take infant formula

12 months and above, they can take full cream milk eg miksi, peak, nido etc

thank you ma.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by semilore12: 4:34pm On Apr 25, 2017
mydeporch:

Thanks mama .Mouka shop here said they do not sell(they put it in shop for 3yrs and no buyer). I found vitafoam shop nd he said he will book it for me by ending or early may, it should be available. I will wait to get the bed before the carpenter starts his own work.thank you

Apologies.. just read your comment. You can actually send a mail to vitafoam urself to book your special order. It takes only a week. That's what I did for my DD bed. In fact I gave the furniture guy my desired measurement and mailed same size to vitafoam. It was a perfect job

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 4:37pm On Apr 25, 2017
AlphaHandMaiden:

most formular are made with skimmed milk, even baby cereals and food that have milk in it are made with skimmed milk.

What one needs to understand is that these products have been fortified with a whole range of added nutrients, minerals and vitamins that ARE NOT present in normal milk. also full fat cows milk is very high in calcium and this may inhibit the absorption of quite a few minerals and vitamins that they have so carefully formulated. .

So it is not an issue if a formulated baby product has skimmed milk. however on its own it is not nutritious enough for babies and children under 3 years old i think.

cc. Fyng..al1

Thanks darling for this explanation! Didn't know how to explain but you did an amazing job here kiss
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by chychy4us: 5:54pm On Apr 25, 2017
folamee:
cc zaynie, liftedhands
cc all mamas

What soap are u using, it be could be d soap, it happened to my dd, I switched soap and the rashes disappeared to where they came from.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MamaOO: 6:16pm On Apr 25, 2017
feddy27:

It's always a period of mixed feeling returning to work and leaving you lil one under the care of home nannies or crèches.

I would like us to discuss how we managed it, share tips that will be helpful for other mamas here.

So I will go first: For both babies, I resumed when they were 2 months + cos I took my maternity leave earlier to aid my travel plans. I normally leave my babies with a nanny at my gran's house so she supervises them.

1. I resume on a Friday ! Yes, so that once the pressure starts coming, next is weekend to cool my head. Also, it helps to reduce separation anxiety

2. I breast feed in the morning before going out, baby takes formula till lunch break when I get back home to feed, she continues with formula till I'm back home by 4. From 4pm till daybreak, we do only breast milk.

3. Have a discussion with your boss to either resume 1hour late or close 1hour early. This will really be helpful. I chose to resume by 8am and close by 4 while my colleague chose to resume at 7am and close by 3pm

4. When you get back home, try spend some time bonding with your baby. Forget plates that have not been washed etc

5. Weekends is for I and the children.. I try to make up for my absence during the week. I take them out or stay all day at home with them

6. Try and take each day as it comes. Don't over stress yourself or feel like a bad mom! NO!!! You are doing a good job

7. I don't take work home for any reason! This is a personal rule I put for myself since I started having babies. Wateva I can't achieve between 8am - 4pm remains till the next day. As I shut down my system, I also shut down my "work mind"

Other mamas should please share their experiences we can all learn and help others

THIS!!!

I resumed back at work the day my baby clocked 7 weeks exactly. Normally I should have around 3.5 - 5 months maternity leave, but because I got the new job when I was 36 weeks pregnant, I was not entitled to more than 6 weeks maternity leave (that's when your OB certifies you fit to return to work after a vaginal birth. 8 weeks for cesarean section).

It was just me and the baby and my husband, no help so we devised a plan.
1. I would take baby to the daycare in the morning and my husband will get him in the evening and stay with him till I come. My work is one hour from home and he works in town so it's easier that way.
2. I knew I wanted to do exclusive for the 6 months and thankfully, I was lactating well. Before I went back to work, I pumped almost every two hours. And boy! I was lactating like a cow. My baby had problems with latching early on cos he was weak and jaundiced so it was easy to establish pumping routines. Then I was getting like 35-45 ounces a day. Now I have cut it down to two pumps a day and produce between 25-32 ounces a day.
3. I talked to my supervisor. I offered to come in early so I can leave early. I also told HR and my supervisor that I need to pump at work. They gave me concessions to take breaks to pump and also created a room for me where I can pump. The room has a locker to store my pump bags and also a couch and a fridge to put the milk till closing time.
4. I did the chores at night. I usually pumped tomorrow's milk today and when I get home, I washed the baby's bottles filled it with milk and just put it in the fridge. That way, I can just grab the bottles and go.
5. I had like 8 bottles for the baby. I knew how many ounces he ate and I would measure each feed into a bottle. I did it that way to reduce contamination due to inappropriate handling by the caregiver. That way, she does not need to handle the milk, she only needs to give to the baby. I also devised a plan where she does not have to warm the milk with hot water or anything. Just air warm it at room temperature. (this was because I saw her one time giving very very warm milk to the baby)
6. I got the baby plenty clothes. That way, I did not have do do any mid week washing or anything. Washing and drying takes time.
7. Because my son had Atopic dermatitis, this pediatrician said not to bath him everyday. I also bath him only at night. This was easier for me to do this at night and this also meant I could stay in bed later in the morning. I also devised a means to make our bath times shorter. We showered together grin (My baby loves water, so this was easy).
9. I made our meals during the weekends. I would make huge pots of stew, soups, rice, beans, porridge and whatever. That way, we only microwaved food during the week. Less time in the kitchen, more time for the family.
10. I spend the evenings with the baby and the weekends too. My biggest fear when I wanted to start work was that my baby won't know me or bond with me cos he spends so much time at the sitter. I use all my spare time with him and now, he knows me well. He laughs, lights up and wants me to carry him anytime I enter the room.

All in all, try as much as possible to enjoy your child cos they grow so fast and before you know it, they're grown so much and you wonder where the time went.

Here's a pic or two of the mister himself cheesy

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mydeporch(f): 6:26pm On Apr 25, 2017
semilore12:

Apologies.. just read your comment. You can actually send a mail to vitafoam urself to book your special order. It takes only a week. That's what I did for my DD bed. In fact I gave the furniture guy my desired measurement and mailed same size to vitafoam. It was a perfect job
Thanks mama. I even went to vitafoam shop in oyo here and he said he will book it for me when they want to make their order. On vitafoam website, it showed 4700 for 46 by 22 and he told me it is 11700. If he wants to add his own gain.i think it shouldn't be as much as this. I first had to do a rethink. Will just hold on till we move to our own place so we make a bed that will fit our use and can be switched after using as baby bed.
I feel it's small again but vitafoam too don't do delivery outside lag except it's more than 500k according to their website.we will continue co sleeping for now.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 6:28pm On Apr 25, 2017
Weldone mamaOO. I recognize the background of pix 2. Is it RI?

Kizzez to Mr cutie kiss kiss

That your supply was just awesome mehn!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by folamee: 6:29pm On Apr 25, 2017
chychy4us:

What soap are u using, it be could be d soap, it happened to my dd, I switched soap and the rashes disappeared to where they came from.
I use chicco soap and ori as her cream
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by folamee: 6:31pm On Apr 25, 2017
zaynie:

Sometimes it's normal for babies to develop a rash.
It might be the soap or lotion. We switched from Aveeno to Coconut Oil and my baby's rash disappeared.

It might be the heat. I stopped swaddling her in the afternoons and the rash disappeared.
thanks, she uses chicco soap and ori as cream. maybe I should change to coconut oil
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Graciouscharis: 6:34pm On Apr 25, 2017
AlphaHandMaiden:

cc. Fyngal1

I think it's d other way round. Skimmed milk has more protein and calcium than whole milk.
I don't know why it's used in producing formulas, maybe it has to do with d fact that it has less saturated fats which is good for d heart and they feel babies below age 1 can't process the fats or it has got something to do with obesity or they the proteins but the less fat milk has, the more calcium and protein it contains.
Cc. Feddy27.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Yesitsme(f): 7:12pm On Apr 25, 2017
feddy27:

It's always a period of mixed feeling returning to work and leaving you lil one under the care of home nannies or crèches.

exactly what I need now as am applying for a new job
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 7:18pm On Apr 25, 2017
feddy27:

Mine is somewhat different but it was the only sane route I could go.

I did my exclusive for 6months but the circumstances for returning to work after my maternity leave ended wasn't favourable for both me and my baby. So I discussed with my HR department and I was informed I could request for a leave of absence (without pay) and I opted for that option.

I took unpaid leave and sorted out all the issues pending
-Change of nanny, health issues for me etc and by the time I was ready for work I had started my baby on solids.
I am sane grin, and my baby is healthy.

6 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Yesitsme(f): 7:18pm On Apr 25, 2017
Mums keep the tips coming...I need to lactate like a vow to do this, don't want my daughter to become a formula fed baby

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ileeri(f): 7:27pm On Apr 25, 2017
feddy27:

I decided to make homemade meals for my daughter.

Examples of what she takes:

1. Sweet potatoes+chicken+peas
2. Millet/Guineacorn pap + apples + milk (I make the pap by myself)
3. Ground rice + carrot + milk
4. Oats +banana + milk
5. Maize pap + peanut butter or avocado + milk
5. Irish potatoes + carrots + fish

All these meals listed above, I blend them to puree, add formula before giving it to her. You can try to play around recipes too. Check mummysyum.com; you will get nice ideas
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 7:30pm On Apr 25, 2017
I need this. I'm resuming on Thursday and I'm having bad separation anxiety already. My mum is staying till he's 3 months after which he'll start crèche
My plan is to express so he gets some breastmilk during the day not only formula cos going home during the day is impossible

feddy27:

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by iomoge2(f): 8:09pm On Apr 25, 2017
Yesitsme:
I just did and got 70ml frm both breasts after squeezing life out of them embarassed.,.Will try again after an hour. Tanks

Eat well
Take plenty water or thick tea.
Sleep
B4 trying again.
Wen tryinh be well relaxed and drink water as u express.

Hugs

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Yesitsme(f): 8:24pm On Apr 25, 2017
iomoge2:

Eat well
Take plenty water or thick tea.
Sleep
B4 trying again.
Wen tryinh be well relaxed and drink water as u express.

Hugs
thanks highly appreciated

(1) (2) (3) ... (872) (873) (874) (875) (876) (877) (878) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.