Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,584 members, 7,837,202 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (968) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4432439 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (965) (966) (967) (968) (969) (970) (971) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sunbestie(f): 9:40pm On Jun 19, 2017
Pls mamas help oo.my three months old baby's poo is green in colour, what is d cause? Should I be worried?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jun 19, 2017
brownsugars:

Do you mean 4 diaper changes all through the 24hours of a day? (Meaning he wears each for not less than 6hours or thereabout atimes).
If yes, then I don't think you should rule out diaper rash just yet.
Or do you air his bum some of the times or practice other diapering strategies?
He's only 3weeks old and from what I know, newborns should use a lot of diapers in those initial periods, like almost 10-15 a day (way beyond 4 diapers).
So wait other mamas will soon come & contribute.

If we go by your post, it means common man pikin no go use diaper, infact, all of us here won't use diaper for our kids (aha, am not saying we can't afford to use 20 for Our babies in a day, but let's be logical). 15 diapers a day for a baby? No health practitioner will tell you this please. Every three to four hours is advised (however, change immediately your baby poo even if it's five minutes ago you change to a new one). Changing diaper every 30 minutes self will soon break the new baby's back sef, or rather would cause discomfort.

however, what works for baby A may not work for baby B, and what works for my own baby might not work for yours, so most times, there is no exclusive formula to these things. It's best to know what works for your baby including the interval of time a diaper is changed but don't leave it to stay on for 12hours as some do.

8 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jun 19, 2017
sunbestie:
Pls mamas help oo.my three months old baby's poo is green in colour, what is d cause? Should I be worried?

1: if he's ebfed check what you eat. Cut off some sugary stuff
2: formula fed, how do you handle his feeding items.
3: what is the texture of d poop? Slimy green with mucous could likely be an infection? Or normal texture but green.
4: consult your Paed /Doc if the poop texture and color is what I mentioned above to run some tests.
5: still consult Paed/Doc if the way you handle the feeding items is topnotch to rule out what caused the green poop. Same if your LO is ebfed

HTH
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by fruitfulhome: 10:27pm On Jun 19, 2017
XX01:

Your baby might have an ear infection. There is a style to feeding a baby while lying down. You have to elevate their heads well. What i do is put their heads on my arm and then raise with a breastfeeding pillow or normal pillow put in an angle. I started lying down to breastfeed from Day 1 my baby was born and i have not had issues. Maybe that as he grew older, the weight of his head on my arm causes it to spasm.

Take your baby to the hospital for antibiotics.

Thank you so much. So I'm back. The doctor on duty was a house doctor. He prescribed eye drop but for the ears, he said no cause for alarm. I wasnt satisfied with his opinion as he was not confident about his answer. He sha said i bring the baby if there is fever or difficulty with breathing. I wish I met those experienced doctors or the consultants. I put everything in God's hands and pray everything goes well.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onaswu(f): 10:38pm On Jun 19, 2017
olubankemi:
Yeah @Chanbaby, I used palm kernel oil too for my kids since birth till now. Infact I have fullly started using it now that rain has started and it can be so cold atimes. It doesn't smell. I atimes rob their whole body with it and pour a little in the centre of their head.

@Sansa123, it has its own odour but not offensive one. Use it for your kids, it prevent cold. Use it for their head and feet.
Please ma, what is the Yoruba name of palm kernel oil and how can I know the original
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by portable4real: 10:39pm On Jun 19, 2017
#olubankemi,,, the kind laugh wey I laugh on seeing her response sef na serious one. how many diaper company will even tell you to use 15 diapers per day haba.

she is even trying the way she changes it. I have a paediatrician doc as cousin. Abi she has use 6 within 24 hours ni.
so if after my baby diaper is not wet within 4 to 5 hours I shld commot it and throw away. ok am coming. just passing by.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 19, 2017
Will use the soap n oil religiously immediately d cold sets in,tnks alot!
Chanbaby:

The palm kernel oil u are using might not be original probably mixed. I use the yoruba black soap and palm kernel oil for my son and its very good my son had baby acne all over his body when I used coconut oil for him in the US when my hubby came and saw it he went bought aveeno products and aquaphor for him those things didn't work fast. As soon as my mum saw him she brought the palm kernel oil my DH& I refused that it will make him dark but we gave it a try. She said a 90yrs old woman in her shop made it and gave her cos she bought wrapper for her. No smell (even when he sweats cos he sweats alot) and it brought out my sons oyibo color and made his skin very smooth and fresh. Now my son and I is coke and fanta (cos i'm very dark in complexion) if not that some of my inlaw saw me pregnant and I gave birth with one of them there they would have said I bought baby cheesy. My neighbour just gave birth I gave her some and its bringing the baby's color out she was very dark at birth. My Dh is glad we used it.

The black soap prevent temp rise and stooling during teething I believe to an extent cos I never experienced any of those for my son now he has two teeth.

Lets I forget palm kernel oil is used for babies during raining season to prevent cold and catarrh.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jun 19, 2017
Noted,tnks dear 4 d contribution!
olubankemi:
Yeah @Chanbaby, I used palm kernel oil too for my kids since birth till now. Infact I have fullly started using it now that rain has started and it can be so cold atimes. It doesn't smell. I atimes rob their whole body with it and pour a little in the centre of their head.

@Sansa123, it has its own odour but not offensive one. Use it for your kids, it prevent cold. Use it for their head and feet.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by voucher(f): 11:42pm On Jun 19, 2017
Chanbaby:

Its very possible for 3mths old to be teething. My son's teeth came out at 3mths without stooling. Someone recommended yoruba black soap when he was 2months old that it makes teething less stressful for u and the baby. so I used it to bath him religiously and he didnt stool.

Okay, thanks... i will look for the soap
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MMotimo: 11:42pm On Jun 19, 2017
Wrong thread
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 12:12am On Jun 20, 2017
Onaswu:

Please ma, what is the Yoruba name of palm kernel oil and how can I know the original

My sister, I don't know oo, am not konk yoruba o even though I marry them. Am from Edo and where I come from there we use it a lot for babies.

I don't know how to differentiate the original from the fake cos I never had to buy fake (I don't even know they mix it sef). I order all the way from my side. But if you know how it smells it should help you know if it's original or not.

@Chanbaby, what's the yoruba name for palm kernel oil?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 12:32am On Jun 20, 2017
olubankemi:

If we go by your post, it means common man pikin no go use diaper, infact, all of us here won't use diaper for our kids (aha, am not saying we can't afford to use 20 for Our babies in a day, but let's be logical). 15 diapers a day for a baby? No health practitioner will tell you this please. Every three to four hours is advised (however, change immediately your baby poo even if it's five minutes ago you change to a new one). Changing diaper every 30 minutes self will soon break the new baby's back sef, or rather would cause discomfort.

however, what works for baby A may not work for baby B, and what works for my own baby might not work for yours, so most times, there is no exclusive formula to these things. It's best to know what works for your baby including the interval of time a diaper is changed but don't leave it to stay on for 12hours as some do.

Calm down madam. Nobody is asking you to use 15diapers everyday.

Maybe you didn't read what I wrote very well...I said "almost 10-15" (an indefinite range, with 15 being the maximum in worst case scenarios). So i wonder why you just jumped at the 15.
The attack is just totally unnecessary!!!

And mind you if you're changing a diaper every 2hours like some advice, it means you'll use like 12 a day. And if peradventure the baby poops immediately after you've changed him into a new diaper (like you said), has diarrhoea etc on some days... then you're not very far from those numbers.
Look at it from that perspective!

However, anyone is free to use whatever number of diapers he/she wants a day...even none at all.

5 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ifyalways(f): 7:35am On Jun 20, 2017
Beckytunde please stop spamming threads. We've seen your adverts, who wants to buy will reach you or create your thread abeg.

I reported your last post

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ifyalways(f): 7:40am On Jun 20, 2017
Please mommas what could be the cause of an ebf baby farting all through the night. Real ogbonge, smelly farts embarassed

My grand daughter was foisted upon me for an all night omugwo stay(we usually do 7am to 7pm), and I nearly ran away o. She was just exploding atomic and nuclear bombs even while asleep. She did poo once, normal and nothing out of place but I'm worried about the farts. I'm waiting for her mom to come pick her so I'll confirm if this is a one off thing. She's 3M
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jazzyjazz: 7:45am On Jun 20, 2017
ifyalways:
Please mommas what could be the cause of an ebf baby farting all through the night. Real ogbonge, smelly farts embarassed

My grand daughter was foisted upon me for an all night omugwo stay(we usually do 7am to 7pm), and I nearly ran away o. She was just exploding atomic and nuclear bombs even while asleep. She did poo once, normal and nothing out of place but I'm worried about the farts. I'm waiting for her mom to come pick her so I'll confirm if this is a one off thing. She's 3M

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Sorry I just had to laugh

My son was a farting machine (still is)
Spoke to his doctor about it, said its normal (he said madam you no de mess? Abeg leave the boy to enjoy his mess)
My son was not ebf sha
I'm sure other mama's will put mouth

cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ifyalways(f): 7:53am On Jun 20, 2017
jazzyjazz:

Spoke to his doctor about it, said its normal (he said madam you no de mess? Abeg leave the boy to enjoy his mess)
My son was not ebf sha

cheesy cheesy cheesy
It's not a laughing matter o. I nearly vomited on her when I was bottle feeding her and she released one. None of my own children or any of my grandchildren farted this bad.

Anyway, thanks. I dey wait her momma. I suspect she has started kpekus with her hubby hence the horrible farts. Something to do with sperrm and b. Milk cheesy
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Yesitsme(f): 7:55am On Jun 20, 2017
D diaper thing got me abeg! Even 10 sef too much even if d pikin dey drink water every 3hrs.. Sometimes I change 3/4times in 24hrs as she eats every 1hr, her bombing is very smooth. I always check diaper to see if wet bf I change. My dear, recession dey my side I no go lie u.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Yesitsme(f): 7:56am On Jun 20, 2017
jazzyjazz:

My son was not ebf sha

cheesy cheesy cheesy
I have laugh tire. My daughter own na missile and it smells terrible, people mistake it for poop. And as she is doing hers and doing my own. But the frequency is reducing gradually. It's normal
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Yesitsme(f): 7:59am On Jun 20, 2017
sunbestie:
monitor d baby's breast intake make sure to give d bottom of the breast than the upper part which is watery

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sunbestie(f): 8:17am On Jun 20, 2017
Prettyhurts:

1: if he's ebfed check what you eat. Cut off some sugary stuff
2: formula fed, how do you handle his feeding items.
3: what is the texture of d poop? Slimy green with mucous could likely be an infection? Or normal texture but green.
4: consult your Paed /Doc if the poop texture and color is what I mentioned above to run some tests.
5: still consult Paed/Doc if the way you handle the feeding items is topnotch to rule out what caused the green poop. Same if your LO is ebfed

HTH
Noted thank you ma
Yesitsme:
monitor d baby's breast intake make sure to give d bottom of the breast than the upper part which is watery
OK ma thanks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Yesitsme(f): 8:28am On Jun 20, 2017
iomoge2:

Your second point.

Wont they say u will get tired of them soon n bail?
every company knows employees will always search for greener pastures when time is right. If they treat u right,u will stay. If they don't u go. They know that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 8:36am On Jun 20, 2017
ifyalways:

Lol!
It is likely what the mum ate, the same way some people fart horrible smelly farts when they eat certain foods like beans, eggs or cabbage for instance, that is the same way some breast fed babies fart if their mums have eaten such foods. It all gets passed through the breast milk!

Sorry grandma! It is mummy's fault! grin

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 8:50am On Jun 20, 2017
missbronze:
Hehehehehe.

Good afternoon sir. Happy Sunday to you.

Yes, i haven't forgotten. Just that my wasapp was misbehaving this few days. Will contact you soon.

Thanks so much. I do appreciate.

Cheers.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 9:09am On Jun 20, 2017
Cc. Olubankemi, yesitsme, portable4real,

Una blood too dey hot! Is this what buhari is doing to people! grin grin grin

There is nothing wrong in what brownsugars said regarding the number of diapers. Within the first 3 months it is completely normal to use up to 12 diapers a day and even more should you be unfortunate to have a tummy bug!

The numbers are for you to manage your expectation there is no rule that says you have to use 12 per day by fire by force and We all know newborns can be notorious at pooing at almost every feed, and can pee indiscreminately too. So you can easily reach that number.

As a parent you will have to balance your pocket with your babies needs. And if 3 disposable diapers a day works for your pocket, then do not moan about diaper rash if it occurs. Otherwise look for alternative diapering solutions. Everything is acceptable from using cloth diapers to even going bumfree at certain times (fresh air is your friend grin )in a bid to reduce the number of disposable diapers.

The mum who asked the original question has ruled out diaper rash based on her change frequency, granted she said at least 4 times, so she may use more diapers some days. But we can only gather the average is 4.

In my own opinion, 4 may work for her , however Diaper changes of 4 times per day on the average for a 3 week old is not enough to totally exclude diaper rash as the culprit. some babies are more sensitive than others. So i would also suggest mama Obideekah re-visits the number of diaper changes and even check the wipes she is using.

7 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Yesitsme(f): 9:25am On Jun 20, 2017
AlphaHandMaiden:
Cc. Olubankemi, yesitsme, portable4real,

Una blood too dey hot! Is this what buhari is doing to people! grin grin grin

There is nothing wrong in what brownsugars said regarding the number of diapers. Within the first 3 months it is completely normal to use up to 12 diapers a day and even more should you be unfortunate to have a tummy bug!
Mi
The numbers are for you to manage your expectation there is no rule that says you have to use 12 per day by fire by force and We all know newborns can be notorious at pooing at almost every feed, and can pee indiscreminately too. So you can easily reach that number.

As a parent you will have to balance your pocket with your babies needs. And if 3 disposable diapers a day works for your pocket, then do not moan about diaper rash if it occurs. Otherwise look for alternative diapering solutions. Everything is acceptable from using cloth diapers to even going bumfree at certain times (fresh air is your friend grin )in a bid to reduce the number of disposable diapers.

The mum who asked the original question has ruled out diaper rash based on her change frequency, granted she said at least 4 times, so she may use more diapers some days. But we can only gather the average is 4.

In my own opinion, 4 may work for her , however Diaper changes of 4 times per day on the average for a 3 week old is not enough to totally exclude diaper rash as the culprit. some babies are more sensitive than others. So i would also suggest mama Obideekah re-visits the number of diaper changes and even check the wipes she is using.

issorit.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ciscamustexcel(f): 9:45am On Jun 20, 2017
hunniesuzie:
#shortrant

So I noticed that after treating malaria, LOs appetite is still not back to normal, plus the rashes came back so I took him to our original hospital (The day the fever started, it was almost 11pm and Hubs wasn't at home so I took him to hospital 2 - one place in the area that Hubs hates for no reason)

They asked a couple of questions and retested for malaria, guess what? Still one plus, same as when we started treating cry cry cry

I don't know if it's fake drugs they gave me, or it's stubborn malaria, they sha gave us chloroquine to treat this one. I have to give him a whole 7.5ml everyday and that shxt is bitter (I tasted it)

Hubs is convinced it's fake drugs and has put his foot down, I must not take his son there again (I kuku don't like that place, blah blah blah undecided)

Mumsi is convinced all of this is teething (I tend to agree cos his finger is always in his mouth now and he seems to be biting down not sucking it) but malaria dey ff teething?

Me I just want my LO to eat properly! He's laughing and playing as usual but I see him struggling with 150mls and it breaks my heart

Anyway I'm at work now and he's with Mumsi. I'll soon close and cuddle my baby

PS: I tried to microwave bread this morning (it was in the fridge) and the thing started burning, the whole office was smelling and safety came. MzMyColi na your head catch me?

PPS: Maybe I should open diary, my story is too much for this place

PPPS: I need advise on this malaria meds thing. They gave us coartem dispersible in the first hospital, now chloroquine...shey no issue? cc mamas that know wassup and are online
I have heard doctor say to their patients several times that every normal human being especially Nigerians have one plus malaria. But my problem with private clinic is that they must give you drugs for everything I mean everything. I will go with your mumsies idea of teething. I will advise u don't treat malaria again after the chloroquine and examine his gum carefully. As for the appetite only him go waka come. Or u take some from my son>: grin
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ciscamustexcel(f): 10:03am On Jun 20, 2017
ifyalways:

mamma I think it is very normal. My 2months old son does the same and my hubby gave him the MASTER BLASTER cos I had a CS my sister and mum that received him from doc when he was born said he was just blasting anyhow. doc said it is colic and it is helping them ease the wind in their tummy. Between now and six months they will outgrow it.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Sanyem(f): 10:25am On Jun 20, 2017
olubankemi:

Where can i get the palm kernel oil
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 10:53am On Jun 20, 2017
MizMyColi no laugh me oh! Thanks Nne, he has gone to creche this morning, I've left the rashes, just rubbing him ori as usual, the thing has dried again, just waiting for his skin to return to normal. Let me even look for the scapula they blessed during baptism and wear for him (don't like it on babies sha but...)

Prettyhurts 3+ ke? How old is she? Ndo oh. Doctors can so act like we are illiterates! Me I always argue with them sha. I was telling him my son is not eating well, dude was telling me "Madam your son is 8kg at 4 months, he's quite big no need to worry" Is that what they are telling you? Did you check his birth weight before talking rubbish? So because he's big he should starve? Mtchewww, bonkom

We're finishing the chloroquine today after which I will stop all medication except multivitamins. He's had no reaction to the chloroquine, when I asked the doctor he said that reaction doesn't happen in infants

Giddyperson I'll think about it. I may use another ID sha cos I feel like people can still find me here if they know how to look. Can I change my ID on nairaland? I've only ever met one woman paed there, fair lady like this, it may be the same person

Tinutunde thanks, I only get drugs from the hospital

Ciscamustexcel thanks jare, that's the plan. As for the appetite please borrow us small, we will return it once our own comes back grin

Morning Mamas, my car and I swam to the office this morning, I'm still wet sef...hope you and your LOs are keeping dry?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (965) (966) (967) (968) (969) (970) (971) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.