Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,452 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? (6932 Views)

15 Facts On African Religions / Should African Religions Be Preserved? / What's Wrong With African Religions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by emofine2(f): 1:46pm On Jun 29, 2012
I don’t think some people actually understand (or at least want to recognize) the implications of the domineering presence of these imported faiths on our continent and the impact that Africa’s peddled poor image has had on all facets of our collective societies – from the indigenous inhabitants to the indigenous faiths – everything natively African considered “inferior”. Of course this image of a people who were lost and couldn’t govern themselves had to persist in order to justify the encroachment on our continent...

So "thank God" for our intruders who devalued us but cared enough to leave us with the "truth"...the only "truth" that will undoubtedly set us free...right?

African religions are so evil? So you distortedly list only the negative aspects that was not even operating in all and present such as a template....and was there no positives? Are we supposed to believe for 14 centuries that we were dull and that none of our experience, beliefs, philosophy matters because it was not featured in any of the holy books from the East?

And who said that love is an exclusive theme to Christianity? Was it even largely spread out of love? Please spare me! ....because it would not take me too long to compose my own biased list about the negatives found in any of the imported beliefs...

Your list is as skewed as I marking only the positive aspects from particular groups and claiming such was a common practice amongst all African traditional religions...we've established there was some bad (a trait not even exclusive to African religions yet only used to malign and disqualify them) so was it possible to purify the bad practices where they may exist?

The constant stigmatization against these indigenous faiths and the refusal to treat them as individual religions worthy of their own name is what blocks its development possibilities....

By the way there are noted similarities with some traditional belief systems of particular groups on the continent and that of certain religions of the Abrahamic faiths...so what makes those religions less sophisticated if the Abrahamic faiths are to be used as the standard exemplar?
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by ayobase(m): 1:54pm On Jun 29, 2012
Martian: Yes. After slavery and violence, the most effective way to subjugate people is through psychological means and religion proved to be the most effective method. Since the white people had proven to be more economically powerful and much less ignorant of nature, they had already proven to the indigenous cultures that they were culturally superior so selling them the white version of god was easy. "if their god helped them conquer us, he must be the true god".....chinua Achebe expressed this sentiment in things fall apart when the white priest went into the shrine of a feared local god and destroyed it.

Even though we are in the "information age", black people still follow these mythologies blindly so imagine the ancestors who were a lot more ignorant. I guess it was like taking candy from a baby.
Now, some positives did come out of imperialism, but those positives could have come about in a more equitable way intead of all the benefits going to the whites.

The most damage is done by the religions they brought, because they aim for the "supernatural" while condemning the natural under threats of hell. When views like that are what forms these people's philosophies on life, how do you expect them to deviate from it? In an ironic way, these religions are what salves the people whose societies have been damaged by the imperialism and colonialism that introduced the religions in the first place. Gift and a curse.

Also, they really didn't do away with the old beliefs entirely, they just cast some of the characters as antagonists to their god. eg Eshu is now synonymous with the christian devil in yoruba christianity.

They did the same thing on the plantations. Take their religion and culture, give them white names and jesus. Also, tell them that Jesus says that slaves should obey their masters..........and you'll go to "heaven" when you're dead.

They didnt shove it down our throats.
It was a proposal and we bought it!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jun 29, 2012
ayobase:
They didnt shove it down our throats.
It was a proposal and we bought it!

What's your point?
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by AjanleKoko: 2:41pm On Jun 29, 2012
Martian:

What's your point?

I guess he means, you can opt out. For me, I don't see any difference between the way Africans adopted Christianity or Islam, or the way Asians did.
Some people did it due to colonization, others used it to get trading leverage.

In any case, Africa's problem has little or nothing to do with religion, no matter how people make it seem that way.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 29, 2012
AjanleKoko:
I guess he means, you can opt out. For me, I don't see any difference between the way Africans adopted Christianity or Islam, or the way Asians did.

Who did it to get trading leverage?

AjanleKoko:
In any case, Africa's problem has little or nothing to do with religion, no matter how people make it seem that way.

Religion is just one of the symptoms of the problem but it could also be of help.
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by Revolva(m): 3:36pm On Jun 29, 2012
Martian: Yes. After slavery and violence, the most effective way to subjugate people is through psychological means and religion proved to be the most effective method. Since the white people had proven to be more economically powerful and much less ignorant of nature, they had already proven to the indigenous cultures that they were culturally superior so selling them the white version of god was easy. "if their god helped them conquer us, he must be the true god".....chinua Achebe expressed this sentiment in things fall apart when the white priest went into the shrine of a feared local god and destroyed it.

Even though we are in the "information age", black people still follow these mythologies blindly so imagine the ancestors who were a lot more ignorant. I guess it was like taking candy from a baby.
Now, some positives did come out of imperialism, but those positives could have come about in a more equitable way intead of all the benefits going to the whites.

The most damage is done by the religions they brought, because they aim for the "supernatural" while condemning the natural under threats of hell. When views like that are what forms these people's philosophies on life, how do you expect them to deviate from it? In an ironic way, these religions are what salves the people whose societies have been damaged by the imperialism and colonialism that introduced the religions in the first place. Gift and a curse.

Also, they really didn't do away with the old beliefs entirely, they just cast some of the characters as antagonists to their god. eg Eshu is now synonymous with the christian devil in yoruba christianity.

They did the same thing on the plantations. Take their religion and culture, give them white names and jesus. Also, tell them that Jesus says that slaves should obey their masters..........and you'll go to "heaven" when you're dead.

That's perfect truth they washed us saying we will go to heaven if we obey jesus and go to hell if we disobey well words from malcolm x - your heaven or hell is here on earth its just a state of mind -now check this every whiteman lives comfortable either in the westernworld even over here they are seen as first class people that's is to tell you that's their heaven and we blacks around the world are in hell we live a third class life style

The truth is the white people destroyed our history right from the days of the timbuktu and it pains me that we africans don't wanna come back to our own senses and leave the whiteman brainwashing system ,how can we manufacture a spoon when all we do is pray in church monday to sunday and some folks pray 5times daily , look at india and china and japan where they still maintain their indiginous religion they are improving economically
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by Fiveseventy: 5:08pm On Jun 29, 2012
Fulaman198:

"... Why? Human beings are very imperfect, and will continue to be until they have truly and willingly chose to live their lives dedicated to God."

Fulaman198 made a point but the quoted line still suggest socio psychological flaws.

Billyonaire: Yet, African religion has not massively been hijacked for such killings like the days of Knight Templars, to present day terror wars et al

Those were political invasions. The foundation of their principles was also surrounded by the need to capture the TEMPLE OF SOLOMON/MASJID AL AQSA.

In both cases, religion has been used to justify human actions. While you may argue that African religions should be more recognised, you should also realise the negativities of their traditions (barbaric practices).

At one point or the other, every religion generates extremists and I don't want to imagine extremists in African religions!
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by ayobase(m): 5:38am On Jun 30, 2012
Martian:

What's your point?

Read Ajanlekoko's comment!
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by Yewe2011(m): 5:46am On Jun 30, 2012
Nebeuwa: Does that include the Coptic Church of Egypt and the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church? Both of those Christian denominations are as old as Christianity itself. Ethiopians and the Egyptian Copts were Christians even before Europe was converted to Christianity.

You posted this to try an make Christianity seem indigenous to the continent of Africa (which it's not)

A better question, would be where Egyptians and Ethiopians Christian before Armenians and populations of Western Asia?

tevinsolt: our traditional religions can be fascinating... but I believe in the only one and true God that created the heavens and the earth. God has sent Jesus to die for my sins and i have been reedeemed by the power in his blood. the veil that splitted into two at the temple when Jesus said it is finished confirms the essence of christianity which is God reaching for man. so that's why i will keep his commandments including you shall serve no other God before me.

This post is irrelevant to the thread. You want to proselytize rather than address the thread question.

tevinsolt:
point of correction there's a difference between an Arabian and a Jewish man

not really

Jews can be Arabs

Arabs can be Jews

FXKing2012: Why shld a religion that promotes human sacrifice and the killing of twins not be replaced with one that teaches love? Thank God for Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crusades

love right?

binger: Christianity has come to stay..deal with it!what good did the ATR do us.Before the new religions came,wickedness like killing of twins,slavery,killing of albinos even before dey are 1 day old,amongst so many evils prevailed.What do you have now...Such things have become extinct and most importantly,we have received salvation and the promise of eternal life thru Christ Jesus

yea killing has become extinct in Nigeria lol

what planet do you live on?
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by ayobase(m): 5:53am On Jun 30, 2012
AjanleKoko:

It does o, unless if u r gonna define the ''Africa's problem''
These killings alone!
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by ayobase(m): 6:00am On Jun 30, 2012
Martian:

Who did it to get trading leverage?

Religion is just one of the symptoms of the problem but it could also be of help.

How can it be of help when some wouldnt blend with others!
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by ayobase(m): 6:05am On Jun 30, 2012
Revolva:

That's perfect truth they washed us saying we will go to heaven if we obey jesus and go to hell if we disobey well words from malcolm x - your heaven or hell is here on earth its just a state of mind -now check this every whiteman lives comfortable either in the westernworld even over here they are seen as first class people that's is to tell you that's their heaven and we blacks around the world are in hell we live a third class life style

The truth is the white people destroyed our history right from the days of the timbuktu and it pains me that we africans don't wanna come back to our own senses and leave the whiteman brainwashing system ,how can we manufacture a spoon when all we do is pray in church monday to sunday and some folks pray 5times daily , look at india and china and japan where they still maintain their indiginous religion they are improving economically

Every religion brainwashes, its just the one u fall for!
No go there at all!
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by ayobase(m): 6:16am On Jun 30, 2012
Fiveseventy:

While you may argue that African religions should be more recognised, you should also realise the negativities of their traditions (barbaric practices).

Someone said we shld overlook that, and concentrate on the good side....I think shymmex, the oracle of Ifa.
Im getting somethings him!
What about that other religion with a profound negativity, should we overlook?
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by Kay17: 9:54am On Jun 30, 2012
We consider why Christianity practised in Africa is radically different from the practices in other continents. Also why particular Christian doctrines appeal to us, like Trinity?
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by Kay17: 9:59am On Jun 30, 2012
ayobase:

Someone said we shld overlook that, and concentrate on the good side....I think shymmex, the oracle of Ifa.
Im getting somethings him!
What about that other religion with a profound negativity, should we overlook?

Identifying the negative and destructive aspect will be difiicult because like most religions, it becomes the new basis of reality.
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by yommy2sure(m): 11:25pm On Jun 30, 2012
I find religion a bit complex and think a lot of ppl just pick the ones that appeal to their senses. When 'they' brought civilization which opened our eyes to see that a lot of our belief like killing of twins, ogbanje, abiku, abobaku...etc r not just wrong but intrinsically evil, they brought susbstites which to be realistic is more logically reasonable...not saying they dont have their own elements of myths and the rest...if we look@ it in one way, which makes more sense say: droping a calabash filled with 'eko and boiled egg with palmoil' @ a t-junction claiming some spirit will feed on it and taking bread and sweetwine in remembrance of the 'the saviour'...none seem to(@least to me) but in totality the imported faiths seems to be more 'open' and better structured. But better still people evolve in their vaule and way of thinking..the west that brought christianity is fast growing in atheism and agnosticism...and its gradually spreading to africa too...i tink we shld emphasize our culture even in the imported faiths like in traditional churches, and in music, entertainment, education etc....but advocating the elimination of the imported faiths especially with thier threat of hell and promise of paradise is near impossible...lovely thread..thumb up
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:16am On Jul 01, 2012
emöfine2: Once again I appreciate your insightful contributions PhysicsQED and I agree with much of what you’ve written. I’m quite fascinated with the suggestion of using music as a tool to re-establish African faiths.

Thanks.

One of the reasons for suggesting using music to revitalize interest in indigenous religions is because of what I've seen just from looking at the Rastafari movement and the associated music. The main idea of the Rastafari movement - that one particular 20th century monarch of the Solomonic dynasty of Ethiopia is a deity - is something that would sound very strange to most people, but then again it's not really more bizarre than some of the specific claims in the Abrahamic religions which the Rastafari movement is tied to.

This is a movement which on the surface should never have had more than a few hundred adherents, being totally new and being in the western world surrounded by Christianity, but the quality of the music that often promotes the lifestyle and beliefs of the Rastafaris is so great that I wouldn't be surprised if more people became Rastas because of great reggae artists than because of the cannabis. They took the local reggae music and used it to promote their beliefs and to some extent they were successful. There may not be that many Rastafaris, but there are enough that one can say that their success is definitely out of proportion to the age of their movement and the amount of writings promoting their beliefs. The music really does seem to be a big factor.

shymmex: @Physics

My question is about what you said on music being a tool to 'campaign' for African religions.. Do you think that's why some people are saying that 'Illuminati' is using signs and symbols in music videos to spread their agenda??

PS: I don't really believe in the illuminati thing, but it's always good to ask questions from people who're more knowledgeable.

1. You mean stuff like this or this? grin

I honestly can't think of any musicians (excluding death metal, horrorcore stuff, which I don't listen to anyway and don't even care about) that seriously seem to be trying to promote any diabolical agenda in their music or videos.

Maybe Odd Future identifies with "secret" societies the way they identify with a whole bunch of other stuff people see as bad, vile and evil as part of their style/gimmick, but I doubt that they're actually part of anything - it's probably just part of their weirdness.

I think people are reading too much into coincidences in most cases, although I do sometimes wonder whether the artists are trying to provoke the conspiracy theories themselves.

I think a few musicians might be Freemasons, in which case they wouldn't necessarily be affiliated with the Illuminati if it existed, or necessarily even part of a society that's hidden from the public. The only explanation I can see for becoming a mason in the first place would be that being a Freemason might provide additional business connections that could further one's career - otherwise I don't really see the point.

And I wouldn't be surprised if it's not the musicians that people think are masons that are actually masons. When you see people like Kanye West saying that they "sold their soul to the devil" and also using all sorts of weird visual and verbal imagery one does wonder whether they're really just talking about losing their morals, but if you think about it some more, wouldn't a real member of a secret society that was trying to push some bad agenda be much more subtle about what they're doing?

2. On the Illuminati, I don't know too much about it beyond what comes up from a simple search. I don't think some powerful super-conspiratorial secret society is out to control the entire world and I think the talk surrounding the society is basically all exaggeration/hype. But if there really was such a society, and their members were carrying out their duties well, I wouldn't be able to confirm whether they really existed anyway. Considering that the Bilderberg group meetings are known about and they don't try to hide the fact that they're holding closed meetings from the public and they still reach whatever supposedly world-affecting decisions they reach after their meetings, I wonder why some supposed super-cult would need to engage in decades (or centuries, in some accounts) of cloak-and-dagger secrecy in order to influence world events and promote a certain agenda.

I think that in almost all cases it's just hype from dedicated conspiracy theorists.

1 Like

Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by Yewe2011(m): 1:45am On Jul 01, 2012
great discussion going on here

If I ever write a book it will be about how to reform ATR's in order to make them more susceptible for African people to embrace in the 21st century. ALL religions have gone through this revision stage and African traditions need a reformation movement because I believe that is the only way for them to survive and then thrive. I think Christians and Muslims truly fear an African religious reformation movement because as long as indigenous African religions remain "archaic" and "primitive" in the minds of the African masses they can continue to demonize and marginalize them.
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:47am On Jul 01, 2012
ayobase:

I sincerely respect ur opinion without ambiguity!
Standing to be corrected, does it mean that don't believe in a system that punishes....hell fire!

It's not about not believing in a system that punishes wickedness. It's just that I don't have any particular reason to believe in the hell concept. If there are other cultures that believe in it - including other African cultures - they're welcome to believe in it, but I don't like how the threat of hell coming from certain religions is helping keep a culturally foreign religion permanently in place and helping it spread in Africa.

And fear that one will be punished is admittedly useful in avoiding wicked acts/choices, but don't you think it's better to be genuinely and naturally considerate, kind, righteous and upstanding than to be so mostly out of fear of punishment? Isn't learning and understanding the worth of good morals and behavior better when I'm learning because I want to morally improve just for the inherent worth of doing so rather than learning mostly to spare my soul from punishment?
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by Yewe2011(m): 1:52am On Jul 01, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Thanks.

One of the reasons for suggesting using music to revitalize interest in indigenous religions is because of what I've seen just from looking at the Rastafari movement and the associated music. The main idea of the Rastafari movement - that one particular 20th century monarch of the Solomonic dynasty of Ethiopia is a deity - is something that would sound very strange to most people, but then again it's not really more bizarre than some of the specific claims in the Abrahamic religions which the Rastafari movement is tied to.

This is a movement which on the surface should never have had more than a few hundred adherents, being totally new and being in the western world surrounded by Christianity, but the quality of the music that often promotes the lifestyle and beliefs of the Rastafaris is so great that I wouldn't be surprised if more people became Rastas because of great reggae artists than because of the cannabis. They took the local reggae music and used it to promote their beliefs and to some extent they were successful. There may not be that many Rastafaris, but there are enough that one can say that their success is definitely out of proportion to the age of their movement and the amount of writings promoting their beliefs. The music really does seem to be a big factor.

great point

Music is definitely a promotional tool.

Bob Marley's is one of (if not the biggest) reason for the spread of Rastafari. His music exposed people to the ideology.
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by FXKing2012(m): 7:20am On Jul 01, 2012
redsun:

Ewu! As if christianity doesnt encorage human sacrifice. What was abraham going to do with isaec? And why was jesus sacrificed on the cross by his socalled illusive father,god?

Africans lost their intuitions,instincts and common sense and became zombie like as soon as they lost their culture,religion and language. They lost their ways of life and inturn,lost their bearings till this day.

You see yourself now! Was Abraham a Christian? Was there even Christianity during Abraham's time? Why would u wanna expose your folly up in here? And besides, God was only testing Abraham's faith; God was never gonna allow Abraham kill Isaac. Dont be stupid u eeediot!

And if not for Christianity, Africans would still be living in caves doing hunting and gathering. So wat African institutions, instincts and common sense are u talking abt?
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by FXKing2012(m): 7:27am On Jul 01, 2012
musKeeto:
You do realise that Christianity's is based on the sacrifice of a human and belief in his blood?

This is the height of ignorance, where in the Bible promotes human sacrifice? Pls dont talk abt wat u dont know cos it only makes u look stuuuupid! Jesus willingly gave His life for us cos He loves us so much and does not want us going to hell. Pls dont talk abt wat u dont know.
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 01, 2012
FXKing2012:

This is the height of ignorance, where in the Bible promotes human sacrifice? Pls dont talk abt wat u dont know cos it only makes u look stuuuupid! Jesus willingly gave His life for us cos He loves us so much and does not want us going to hell. Pls dont talk abt wat u dont know.
Jesus willingly gave his life? That wasnt a sacrifice?
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by yommy2sure(m): 10:51am On Jul 01, 2012
FXKing2012:

for your mind now you don talk sense...i often wonder y people put their brain in their pocket whenever their religion is put on trial!
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by emofine2(f): 11:02am On Jul 01, 2012
FXKing2012: And if not for Christianity, Africans would still be living in caves doing hunting and gathering. So wat African institutions, instincts and common sense are u talking abt?

Excuse me but since when were Africans cave dwellers?

It is untrue and also damaging to continually peddle this false notion that Christianity (a religion younger than Africa’s great civilizations) is somehow responsible for allegedly “civilizing” Africans.

Do not colour history just to put your religion in a favourable light. Perhaps Christianity had done some good but whether that supposed "good" was done in a good way or largely undercover work is still arguable.

Under this tool called Christianity we were devalued and robbed...so excuse me if we all don’t view Christianity in rose tints (at least the version that was promoted) when our very own people, pride and dignity were sacrificed on the alter of this imported religion.

Tell me, did African religions encroach on a foreign territory devaluing, manipulating and supplanting it’s inhabitants and culture leaving a trail of blood? Yet it is African religions that are said to be the most bloody and sinister...

We are not starry-eyed about African Religions nor do we view them romantically...we recognize that there were some terrible acts (as were in all religions so none should cowardly hide behind Africa).

But we are making an objective reassessment about them and considering what could have been made of the more beneficial elements. A foreign religion is part and parcel of a foreign culture so we didn’t purely accept another religion, we also assumed facets of another culture. So if religion packages human experience, ideologies, philosophies, and even culture why should Africa’s beliefs be made redundant because of some malpractices that could have been eliminated or corrected?

Unless the real not-so-subtle claim is not that some of our practices or beliefs were wicked but that we as a people were wicked and as such would naturally translate in all our activities.

You cannot expect some of us to fall for prejudiced and premature claims.

You see yourself now! Was Abraham a Christian? Was there even Christianity during Abraham's time? Why would u wanna expose your folly up in here? And besides, God was only testing Abraham's faith; God was never gonna allow Abraham kill Isaac. Dont be stupid u eeediot!

If Christianity is responsible for our civilization then please extend that to your use of language.
Unlike African traditional beliefs the Abrahamic faiths were documented thus we all know the alleged reason why Abraham was told to sacrifice his son - there are presented backgrounds to these stories which otherwise would have appeared even more horrific thus they can be defended but of course the African faiths lost this convenience as they maintained an oral tradition and so we don't know what informed their practices.
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by AjanleKoko: 8:37am On Jul 02, 2012
You guys are all arguing blindly.
If you want to serve Sango, is anybody stopping you? Go and worship the ancestral gods, you and your families, and let's see you get inspired to build nuclear weapons and microchips undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by emofine2(f): 11:39am On Jul 02, 2012
The issue is not about reverting at all not even solely conserving. It’s about constructing and more importantly challenging these often held stereotypes.
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by PhysicsQED(m): 12:40pm On Jul 02, 2012
AjanleKoko: You guys are all arguing blindly.
If you want to serve Sango, is anybody stopping you? Go and worship the ancestral gods, you and your families, and let's see you get inspired to build nuclear weapons and microchips undecided

lol, you think the people who build nuclear weapons and microchips are mostly Christians or Muslims?
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by AjanleKoko: 1:02pm On Jul 02, 2012
PhysicsQED:

lol, you think the people who build nuclear weapons and microchips are mostly Christians or Muslims?

LOL. Of course not.
My point is, the state of Africa has little or nothing to do with our not practising traditional religions.
Plus, I doubt if the religions brainwashed anybody. It certainly has not prevented people in office from looting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:40pm On Jul 02, 2012
I think the focus of this thread seems to be more about cultural brainwashing rather than religious.

I'm not saying there aren't many other problems affecting Africa, several of which have higher priority than this issue, but an inferiority complex to foreign cultures and their creeds is definitely something that needs to be examined.
Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by FXKing2012(m): 2:34pm On Jul 02, 2012
But seriously, are u guys arguing that we wld have been better of if the missionaries never came? I mean, seriously, is that your stance?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 02, 2012
FXKing2012: But seriously, are u guys arguing that we wld have been better of if the missionaries never came? I mean, seriously, is that your stance?

Yes. While denigrating your own history and culture in order to glorify your imported god and religion, you ignore the fact that African societies were not the "cave dwellers" you make them out to be.

FXKing2012:

And if not for Christianity, Africans would still be living in caves doing hunting and gathering. So wat African institutions, instincts and common sense are u talking abt?

It's cool to love your god and religion, but do you have to do it at the expense of your self esteem, pride and history?

Another fact of history you ignore is that while the Church held sway over Europe during the middle ages, fuedalism was the order of the day and feudalism is but one step away from slavery. In contrast, even though African societies were headed by Kings, and council of elders, the people had more freedom than the Europeans had under your cherished church.

Present day Nigerian societies were thriving in their own unique way prior to the arrival of the Europeans and if trade and ideas had been exchanged in a fairer way instead of them being forced on Aficans, Africa as a whole would be better of today.

The reason the Europeans embraced mercantilism and exploration is because their environment demanded that they adapt and expand the horizons if they were to survive and live better lives. To simplify things a bit, an European could have invented a portable heater because he had to warm himself somewhere in Scandanavia, but an African living in Onitsha probably didn't have that need. So who is more likely to spend his time trying to invent a heater? The African or the European? This is one of the reasons why western civilization was ahead of ours at that time.

Another reason why your christianity aided in destroying African culture is through the assimilation of differnt tribes who the Europeans thought were the same just becaue they had the same complexion. So now we have, yorubas, igbos and hausas trying to live as one Nigeria because some guy called Lord Lugard thought it was a "great" idea.

Now, imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and it was Africans who colonized the Europeans. It's 1914 and Lord Chukwuemeka stands in present day switzerland and decides that German, italians and frank tribes are the same because they are all white and decides to name the country Geritafra.

Christianity and colonialism came hand in hand and brought some improvements, but at what cost?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Use Of Virtual Holy Scriptures - Good/bad? / Apostle Joshua Selman Expose The Secret To His Miracles,signs And Wonders / Who Is A Christian According To The Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.