Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,425 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties (3715 Views)

2 Opposition Parties Deny Allegiance To Buhari / Okupe Calls Opposition Parties Noisemakers / INEC's Conditions For Opposition Parties’ Merger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by mbulela: 11:58am On Jun 28, 2012

With its majority in the National Assembly and control of many of the 36 states of the federation, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) could unilaterally amend the 1999 Constitution, Bayelsa State Governor, Hon. Henry Sierake Dickson, said Wednesday.

The governor, during a visit to the National Chairman of PDP, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, and other members of the party’s National Working Committee (NWC), in Abuja, said the party would not need the opposition to amend the constitution, if it so desires and wondered why the party could not mobilise its members to ensure amendment to the constitution that would allow it achieve its vision for the country.

He warned the party not to allow federal lawmakers from the opposition parties to seize the initiative from PDP.

The governor said: ‘’With our overriding mandate in the National Assembly, and state Houses of Assembly, we can on our own amend the constitution. We are in the majority, but it seems to me that if those of us in PDP don’t guard it jealously, those Nigerians rejected at the polls, will foist their divisive agenda on the people. That will be subversive of the mandate given freely to PDP.’’

According to Section 9 of the 1999 Constitution, the constitution can be amended by two-thirds majority approval of members of either chamber of the National Assembly and supported by the resolution of at least two-thirds of all the 36 state Houses of Assembly.

Out of 109 senators and 360 House members in the National Assembly, PDP has 73 and 242 respectively and controls 23 out of the 36 states of the federation, one short of the required two-thirds majority needed to ratify any constitution amendment.

Dickson, who urged Tukur to first unite the party as nothing would be achieved without unity in the PDP, added: “PDP as it is today, is the biggest in Africa. To whom much is given; much is expected in contemporary Nigerian politics. PDP must protect Nigeria’s unity. All other political parties are interested in weakening the centre and tearing Nigeria’s apart. It is only PDP that has the potential to unify and integrate the unity of this country; all other parties are bent on disintegrating the country.

“We must manage the mandate in such a way that those Nigerians do not set agenda for us through the back door. They must work hard for Nigerians to trust them before their tendencies can become the majority tendency. The only party Nigerians trust now is PDP. So, we must guard this mandate jealously.”

Tukur thanked the governor for his visit and appealed to party chieftains from Bayelsa State to continue to propagate the ideals of the PDP in the state.

‘’I have listened attentively to what they have been telling us about PDP. That’s what we want; support the Federal Government to develop Nigeria to be prosperous,’’ he said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/dickson-pdp-can-amend-constitution-without-opposition-parties/118896/
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by mbulela: 11:58am On Jun 28, 2012
Another lunatic has escaped from the asylum.

2 Likes

Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by Afam4eva(m): 3:24pm On Jun 28, 2012
Nothing wey we no go hear for this country. Do these people think before they talk?
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by valencia25(m): 3:26pm On Jun 28, 2012
PDP! If i hear....
What kind of Arrest is this? www.nairaland.com/976825/what-kind-arrest-this
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by BashMe1(m): 3:27pm On Jun 28, 2012
mbulela: Another lunatic has escaped from the asylum.

I don laff so tey i nearly slap d spec my oga was wearing off his face... grin grin

Nice One... Anoda' PDP Joker in the makin'.
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by micklplus(m): 3:28pm On Jun 28, 2012
^^^

Ofcourse, I agree with you mbulela.

Son of a D.I.c.k! Has forgotten that, there would be another problem if people were not adequately represented in the constitution amendment project.

D.i.ckhead undermined the importance of the opposition in democracy.
Anyway, he's another drunken fisherman from ogogoro river- bayelsa .

1 Like

Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by kaiter: 3:30pm On Jun 28, 2012
micklplus: ^^^

Ofcourse, I agree with you mbulela.

Son of a D.I.c.k! Has forgotten that, there would be another problem if people are not adequately represented in the constitution amendment project.

D.i.ckhead undermined the importance of the opposition in democracy.
Anyway, he's another drunken fisherman from ogogoro river- bayelsa .
Me too.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by bakjal(m): 3:36pm On Jun 28, 2012
Talk is so cheap mst especially from son of a dicccccck...PDP is still not ashame of itself from stealin peoples mandate!!!Unless mandate is given to whom is deserved,curruption is d less worries of Nigeria!
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by Dujardin(m): 3:38pm On Jun 28, 2012
Dick-son oh! Cork-son this one lunatic na grade 1(a)(i). Na wo trust una?
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by micklplus(m): 3:40pm On Jun 28, 2012
Really, I am always in shock how these our leaders were elected to lead!

MOST of them are dull and myopic with little or no exposure at all! Imagine such a statement from a governor of a whole state!

D.ickson is a dic.khead and I am sure his brain has been swapped for s.p.e.r.m!
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by Dujardin(m): 3:41pm On Jun 28, 2012
If this one na d-ick, he no worth puss-y @all na A-SS-hole b him portion!

1 Like

Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by prologue: 3:42pm On Jun 28, 2012
Another criminally insane from jona's backyard. But, wait. is there a correlation between fish consumption and stupidity? and the state of Bayelsa is still so backward? one of the highest allocations, 8 LGA and zero development.
anything associated with pdp is infinitely evil. same with dt drunken monkey in delta state.
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by bakjal(m): 3:42pm On Jun 28, 2012
U should be highly recommended for dis post honestly...very well said in a blink!
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by SkyBlue1: 3:43pm On Jun 28, 2012
I wish people thought about this issue a bit more before rejecting in totality all that has been said, especially if you have even a basic insight into how the house of reps currently operates. We have all been crying about how the constitution was bequethed the Nigerian populace by a military regime. We have always whined about how some basic fundamentals of the constitution need to be reviewed. We keep shouting federalsim. I don't think many would disagree to a constitutional review, but I would personally like one without all the bureacracy and unecessary politicking which though perhaps inherent in a democracy, can be exacerbated when you have a more complex make up of the house of assembly, ultimately leading to a lot of foot dragging (even on issues we can all agree on simply to score cheap political points).

This is the main reason I reject this man's call. PDP does not have the political mandate to review the constitution because PDP does not have a unifying vision which peple voted for. What are PDP values? So how can we give sole control to the shaping of our national constitution to a party we don't even know what they stand for? And that to me is the main issue. Regardless, a revision of the constitution isn't a new call we are just hearing, we have talked about this before. It would be good to do it without unnecessary politics though. If a majority party capable of affecting change could somehow consult with the people and get consensus ideas to basic tenets for the document, then I would be willing to consider this approach of just doing it. Look at how Iceland drafted (and are drafting) their new constitution. VERY INTERESTING. The public is actually participating, not just some four or five men in a room.

But then, is it the most pressing issue right now? Maybe not, considering we don't even enforce the good laws we currently have.
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by micklplus(m): 3:53pm On Jun 28, 2012
Very well said sky blue!

He forgot that, the constitution is not about PDP alone!
The crux of the constitution really is about the fact that, the khaki boys dumped it on us and adequate consultations were not made before pronouncing that crap a constitution!

Constitution amendment would involve not only pDp but also all and sundry and di.c.khead didn't KNOW that as a matter of fact.

It is indeed sad that, we have such "ekpadons" as leaders in naija
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by stagger: 3:54pm On Jun 28, 2012
What is wrong with these Bayelsa politicians?
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by bakjal(m): 3:57pm On Jun 28, 2012
My people!This is yet another diversion as usual to take our minds off d bribery scandals...

If we let it,it will be on d spotlight of d days yet ahead!
Pls I appeal we jst make fun of it as if is not yet a national issue...

If not for dat sake, how could d man of less experiance in dis bussiness stand so tall wit dis useless idea of a diccccckson?y not come from d senate president?Is true, another lunatic escapes from d asylum...
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by Exponental(m): 4:03pm On Jun 28, 2012
What a statement. Not surprised though, it sounds pidipic. Only a selfish party, dat does care abt hw d people feels will utter such statement.
PDP!! Democracy for the govt!!!
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by inspirenet: 4:03pm On Jun 28, 2012
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by baslone: 4:14pm On Jun 28, 2012
Leave them, they still want their 5/7yr single tenure. Someone has to deliver the message. Dickson is just the carrier!
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by Cyberconnect12: 4:18pm On Jun 28, 2012
Wow I love nairaland.com am actually looking for this information an here is it.

Thanks to the posters
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by stormm: 4:22pm On Jun 28, 2012
@Sky blue,

You've not said anything different. Only you offered an explanation on your disagreemnt whereas others worked from the answer
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by SkyBlue1: 4:31pm On Jun 28, 2012
stormm:
@Sky blue,

You've not said anything different. Only you offered an explanation on your disagreemnt whereas others worked from the answer

I am not even sure you know my disagreement so don't quite know what point you are trying to make. I am saying that I do not completely disagree with him and think there might be a little danger in misunderstanding what he is trying to say or reasons for saying them (if I have it right). Just don't think PDP have the mandate to change the constitution, that's all. If they did and there was some public consultation then I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with this approach. Or if we are being radical, completely take it out of the hands of politicians (like icelanders are doing).
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by Cyberconnect12: 4:38pm On Jun 28, 2012
valencia25: PDP! If i hear....
What kind of Arrest is this? www.nairaland.com/976825/what-kind-arrest-this
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by dein77(m): 4:42pm On Jun 28, 2012
afam4eva: Nothing wey we no go hear for this country. Do these people think before they talk?

THESES GUYS KEEP DISGRACING IJAWS WITH THEIR PATHETIC STATEMENTS.....TAMARA AIAEI YO!
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 28, 2012
afam4eva: Nothing wey we no go hear for this country. Do these people think before they talk?

This is what happen when you select instead of to Elect. weep for Naija cry
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 28, 2012
what do you expect from someone endorsed by the drinkard in chief ?
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by Toktee(m): 4:47pm On Jun 28, 2012
wise observation
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by LewsTherin: 4:50pm On Jun 28, 2012
This fellow is either another Personal Destroyer of People or he is trying to spek the truth to those who do not wnt to hear it.
Like it or not, PDP does hve the ability to chnge parts of the constitution or pass laws quickly. Laws like the PIB etc. They can quickly make INEC truly independent, they can quickly pass all those chnges Nigerians have been screaming for.
You see, the problem with Nigeria is not a lack of knowledge of what should be done. It's the absence of the desire to do it. Talk to every sentor and member of the house. They can all tell you in their sleep what laws and enforcements Nigeria needs. But they choose not to do it.
Dickson is either telling them in diplomatic terms that they should put their act together before Nigerians thhrow them out by ballot or bullet

or he's simply yet again sshitting himself!
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by manny4life(m): 4:53pm On Jun 28, 2012
unfortunately, the man says the truth.

Since PDP is the majority in government, yes, all their votes can literally, if enough, can pass the required amendment. Perfect case of Democrats and Republicans here in the states. Although, I must be wrong though, but I thought the Constitution required ALL 36 governors must be part of the amendment process and must "in one voice" agree to it?
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by Toktee(m): 4:55pm On Jun 28, 2012
The other day was a governorship candidate in edo,today na governor of bayesa,imagine the calculation,he think say there is no disagrement in pdp,i advice this ex militant to ask obj what happen to him during third term saga
Re: Dickson: PDP Can Amend Constitution Without Opposition Parties by solamesin(m): 5:20pm On Jun 28, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]Nigeria should stop voting senseless rather than vote for credible people.

(1) (2) (Reply)

OAU Students Booed Jonathan! SUG President And PRO Are Liars!!!*(PICTURES)* / Gen. Tarfa (rtd): We Did Not Have Wasc When We Joined The Army / Buhari Please Dont Try This At Home!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.