Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum (6611 Views)

heavy military activities n maneuvers as CAS visits Damaturu / Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe / Graphics Photos From Today's Explosion Scene In Damaturu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by rabzy01: 5:00pm On Jun 28, 2012
Newly appointed National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki today paid a visit to the beleaguered towns of Potiskum and Damaturu in Yobe state.

In what is being recorded as the first visit by a Federal Government delegation since the attacks in the state began more than three years ago, Col. Dasuki sympathised with the people of both towns and assured the people that President Goodluck Jonathan was making headway in trying to bring back peace to the state.

He told journalists at the Government House that he hoped the people will join hands with government to achieve peaceful coexistence in the state and called for actionable intelligence from the people, promising that every information received would be treated with the highest level of confidentiality.

Damaturu and Potiskum have witnessed some of the deadliest attacks by the Boko Haram sect in recent times. Last week, members of the Boko Haram engaged the Joint Task Force in a drawn out battle that last over 18 hours and saw scores killed.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=170411:new-nsa-visits-damaturu-potiskum&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by Clemzy16(m): 5:36pm On Jun 28, 2012
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by Clemzy16(m): 5:36pm On Jun 28, 2012
[color=#000099][/color]first to comment.
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by idlaw2k3(m): 5:40pm On Jun 28, 2012
Finally undecided
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by gbogboti: 5:47pm On Jun 28, 2012
Think Jonathan made a good pick by selecting this guy. It takes a monkey to catch a monkey.

1 Like

Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by saviola24: 5:50pm On Jun 28, 2012
No comment yet.na wah oh
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by Ajillo: 6:02pm On Jun 28, 2012
He is nothing but an adviser. I hope he wont start feeling he is the C in C or minister of defence or a defence chief.
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by alhussanglegma: 6:04pm On Jun 28, 2012
Good start. I hop & pre hi sakcds d rugged jony.
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by gbadexy(m): 6:05pm On Jun 28, 2012
The president is definitely right about his choice of NSA. Azazi would have been ideal if the security challenge was at the niger delta where he knows the terrain, people and their mindset.
This new NSA would get across to his people better and get results.

4 Likes

Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by abt(m): 6:06pm On Jun 28, 2012
Ajillo: He is nothing but an adviser. I hope he wont start feeling he is the C in C or minister of defence or a defence chief.
And so? Does that mean he should not assess the situation on ground?
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 28, 2012
gbogboti: Think Jonathan made a good pick by selecting this guy. It takes a monkey to catch a monkey.
but all them dead brain peeps will nt see any gud tin from GEJ.
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jun 28, 2012
Ajillo: He is nothing but an adviser. I hope he wont start feeling he is the C in C or minister of defence or a defence chief.
the ignorance on nairaland is alarming! why would he want to be defence chief when the defence chief reports to him?
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by dedeike: 6:18pm On Jun 28, 2012
see haters. If he doesn't visit, you will Complain. If he visits, you say he's arrogating to himself the powers of C in C. What must this govt do to impress you? Please tell me.
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by GATomcruise: 6:19pm On Jun 28, 2012
cool :-XHope it was nt a political speech
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by Mandelaguy(m): 6:24pm On Jun 28, 2012
Good one Dasuki,something tells me you will not be a failure,sometimes,people should just stop this hating and focus on important national issues. We wan this BH issue to be ove, though I believe some people have different motives. The blood of the innocent will judge them.
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by okparadamian(f): 6:25pm On Jun 28, 2012
i c dat some thing is behind dis,he went dere nd survive bcus he's one of dem.dey can hurt him.they just want to use dis oppotunity invite our mumu president nd kill him lik chicken
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by jmaine: 6:30pm On Jun 28, 2012
Interesting Dasuki . . . . .
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by sleek29(m): 6:37pm On Jun 28, 2012
Good move, but how did he get there cuz d last time d president told us dat maiduguri airport aint working, all the same nice move, we all are waiting, Nigerians want results
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by killuminati(m): 6:38pm On Jun 28, 2012
okpara damian: i c dat some thing is behind dis,he went dere nd survive bcus he's one of dem.dey can hurt him.they just want to use dis oppotunity invite our mumu president nd kill him lik chicken
obuoy lmao! You's a punk!!
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by nagoma(m): 6:42pm On Jun 28, 2012
jmaine: Interesting Dasuki . . . . .

What is worth doing is worth doing well. either you Do the work effectively or you resign .
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by ocelot2006(m): 6:54pm On Jun 28, 2012

He is WAY MORE than just an adviser. The Office of the NSA controls both Domestic (DSS/SSS) and foreign (NIA) intelligence agencies. The Joint Intelligence Board, also under the office of the NSA, collates all domestic, foreign, military, and criminal intelligence before they are forwarded to the National Security Council chaired by the President and C-in-C.
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 28, 2012

Do you realize that minister of defense, defence chiefs, SSS, Nigeria Military Intelligence, IGP, and all other national security agencies, report to the Chief Security Adviser. What most people don't realize is that this position is perhaps the most powerful in the executive branch of government. The type of information he has, the president doesn't have a clue unless he briefs the President. By de facto, The chief Security Officer is the C-in-C.

The appointment of Col. Dasuki is a welcome development. IBB's boys are the fathers of Nigeria Intelligence. Have you wondered why IBB is always seen in company of his trusted former security chief and director of Nigerian Military Intelligence, Maj. General Akilu. Seen in the picture in dark glasses. As the saying goes, you never see IBB without him. Since the IBB retirement to his Hilltop mansion, Akilu has been the security guiding post to the entire IBB family. As a former intelligence officer of Nigerian cardinal intelligence, he still has access to intelligence. Also keep in mind that Dasuki was one of his boys.

As I understand it he is currently being vetted for the position of minister of defense. What these guys know about Nigeria security and intellgence, Jonathan has no clue. This is a good news and IBB boys are here to assist.

Under IBB government were these national security agencies created and he still has 80% of his boys there, currently:

State Security Service (SSS) - Responsible for domestic intelligence
National Intelligence Agency (NIA) - Responsible for Foreign intelligence and counterintelligence operations
Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) - Responsible for military intelligence.

Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by championeh(m): 6:57pm On Jun 28, 2012
A good beginning, i remember those days in Maiduguri-Damaturu-Potiskum road.

May Almighty God restores peace in Nigeria.
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by 1121: 7:20pm On Jun 28, 2012
can some1 pls enlighten me about the functions of NSA, chief of defence staff and the minister of defence. I will also like to know the heirachy of power between them
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by pampy: 7:25pm On Jun 28, 2012
i can't believe no government officail has been to these towns since the attacks. These government stinks incompetence to high heavens. Hope things will change for the better.
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jun 28, 2012
1121: can some1 pls enlighten me about the functions of NSA, chief of defence staff and the minister of defence. I will also like to know the heirachy of power between them

The service chiefs; Army, Navy, Air force and IGP(IGP, though not de jure but always present in defense meetings; its function is clearly internal affairs), report to the chief of defense. Chief of defense oversees and coordinates the arm forces and defense for the Nation, reports to the minister of defense but can also report directly to the NSA. The only major difference between the chief of defense and secretary/minister of defense is the former is reserved for military officers and the latter is always a civilian or former military officer. The IGP reports to police affairs, police affairs is an arm of the Ministry of Internal affairs. Now here is where it gets tricky, the minister of defense doesn't report directly to the president, instead he gives his recommendations to the National security Adviser, who then reviews all recommendations and advise the president on what to do. NSA has the last say on the decision the president decides to take on the national security of the country. Anyone who occupies the office of the National Security Adviser must be enmeshed in the country's security system & intelligence, in fact a former spy with strong connections. IBB, Abacha - the security kingpin and hero for stopping okar coup, Gusau, Gwarzo, Akilu and Mukhtar are/were known to be Czars in this profession.

Let me just comment on the strong bond and respect that existed between IBB and Abacha. IBB saw Abacha as his brother and colleague, not as his staff. The only time in history when Head of state and his chief of defense staff, held the same military rank. Abacha served IBB with respect, without envy, he was the brain that saved IBB's life and put an end to okar coup. If he wanted to take over when he stopped the okar coup, he would have but gave power back to IBB. However, after that both had an agreement that when he IBB steps down, he, Abacha will take over. Shonekan was just a whipping boy used to achieved this transition.
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by Centinno01: 7:37pm On Jun 28, 2012
Jenams: but all them dead brain peeps will nt see any gud tin from GEJ.
U ar not well,what does an old man who retired in d army in 1983 know about modern day terrorism?
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by ZUBY77(m): 7:41pm On Jun 28, 2012
Initial garagara.... Police are coming out on the roads again. They stopped me today under the Onitsha niger bridge and wasted my 30 minutes....
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jun 28, 2012
Centinno01: U ar not well,what does an old man who retired in d army in 1983 know about modern day terrorism?

You forgot the old saying that: a soldier is always a soldier. A retired military officer can be recalled back to service, and by law, he can still wear his uniforms. Whether he retired 20-30 yrs ago, is of no consequence.
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by ABsI1: 7:50pm On Jun 28, 2012
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by ABsI1: 8:00pm On Jun 28, 2012
Its beta u shutup&stop being an idiot.d NSA doesnt have to feel like defense minister or IG or CJCS u punk ass peasant.they all report to him FYI.goon
Re: NSA, Col. Dasuki Visits Damaturu, Potiskum by nagoma(m): 8:04pm On Jun 28, 2012
It's funny this Dasuki despite his age did not stop heroic actions. In quelling the students riots against NYSC brought by Gowon in 1973, Dasuki then a captain, was captured and " inprrisoned" by students in ABU Samaru campus. His escape apparently aided by a student friend was equally daring. I hope he will not be captured by BH. Be careful !

(1) (2) (Reply)

Graphic Pics: Boy's Hand Cut Off As He Tried Stealing Phone Through Window / ‘I Have No Record Of Alleged Corrupt Contractors’ – Fashola Replies SERAP / Insecurity: Benue State To Launch Security Outfit Before May Ending.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.