Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,971 members, 7,956,627 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 03:47 PM

Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? (6061 Views)

7 Reasons Why I Am Forced To Agree It's A Man's World / Kenyan Man Forced To Have Sex With A Woman In Public (video) / Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 03, 2012
I was wondering... were our fore-fathers "forced" or coaxed to pay such gigantic, extravagant, "community-service-size" of bride price that guys are forced to pay these days? Were they asked to bring like a 100 or 300 tubers of yam or more? Did they have to buy things like they were feeding a village or some form of community service or philanthropic donation? Did they have to pay for a reception hall? Did they have to spend up to half a million(in their own currency as at then) or more becos they wanted to get married? Were they usually given a long list which usually included kinsmen that the girl's parents don't even have an acquaintance with? And if they eventually brought all these(without having to borrow), what did they have left to feed their new family?

Looking at today's wedding running costs, it's not just making any economic sense. What is the rationale behind spending over half a million on a two days event, that definitely won't bring back any financial dividends? Can't a dude get married with a maximum of 300,000 naira in this country, I mean including the total cost of traditional, court and white wedding?

Am very sure that in the developed world, wedding is not that expensive? Or is it because of our under-developed or poverty-inclined thinking? Isn't it time we questioned this pocket-sucking-dumb-tradition of ours?

I go to church and the pastors do encourage the youths to marry early, especially in order to avoid fornication. But the so-called tradition is not encouraging us to do so. An average guy has to save and eventually waste over half a million in order to have a "standard" wedding. I mean, what is even the definition of a "standard" wedding in the Nigerian context? Can't a man have a sub-standard wedding, depending on his pocket size? What happened to the old saying "Cut your coat according to your cloth", or is it not applicable to this case? Isn't it high-time this tradition of spending too much on wedding be reviewed and updated? Or is it a indirect means of encouraging late marriages?

Sorry I had to pop out many questions, but these have been my thoughts lately? And I would really appreciate some meaningful contribution to this, cos this thing is quite annoying?

4 Likes

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Mynd44: 7:23pm On Jul 03, 2012
Great. Another guy complaining about how "expensive" women are. If you think you can't afford women, TRY MEN

3 Likes

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 03, 2012
-ad65f

4 Likes

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by claremont(m): 8:41pm On Jul 03, 2012
This is one aspect of our culture that has to be looked at critically. What most people do not understand is that the culture of 'bride price' not only cheapens the Nigerian female, but it also invariably means that the Nigerian female is a commodity (not much different from any grocery item) that can be bought and sold at a price. The good news is that most educated families in Nigeria no longer practise such culture, it seems to be limited to the illiterates and bare-lettered sections of our society.

6 Likes

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by MrsChima(f): 9:51pm On Jul 03, 2012
Cows and sheeps were worth fortune back in the day so you got lucky.

O
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Mynd44: 9:56pm On Jul 03, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

O
lol
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by SpiritofOkija(m): 9:22am On Jul 04, 2012
These muthafuckers are broke ass Mofos..

NO TRADITION HAS A BRIDE PRICE THAT REACHES 200,000 Naira...

Whats expensive are the things you have to buy for the ceremony like Yams and wrappers..

And yes, Bride Price has always been expensive.. Even Jacob for bible had to gba Nwaboy (do houseboy) for 14years to get babe..

1 Like

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by stepo707: 9:22am On Jul 04, 2012
Mynd_44: Great. Another guy complaining about how "expensive" women are. If you think you can't afford women, TRY MEN
whats the sense in what you just posted now?
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Scarpon(m): 9:27am On Jul 04, 2012
guy if u dey broke go collect one fulani babe with 24lashes for free

4 Likes

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Lordave: 9:27am On Jul 04, 2012
I was there when my dad droped £15k as ma mum's bride price. Dat was B4 the war.
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Nobody: 9:37am On Jul 04, 2012
Mynd_44: Great. Another guy complaining about how "expensive" women are. If you think you can't afford women, TRY MEN
Almost laughed...
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 04, 2012

I mam sure You are a bloody bachelor, When you get married like us cool, then come back and tell us your mind. undecided

1 Like

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by emmaBS(m): 9:48am On Jul 04, 2012
You are talking about which particular tradition?
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 04, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

I mam sure You are a bloody bachelor, When you get married like us cool, then come back and tell us your mind. undecided
Or maybe he's TRIED MEN!! or TIED THEM..
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 04, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

O

at least you can easily pick one from your granny's backyard grin
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Nobody: 9:52am On Jul 04, 2012
musKeeto:
Or maybe he's TRIED MEN!! or TIED THEM..

cheesy grin, all these boiz still being spoon feed by their father
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by OgidiOlu3(m): 9:53am On Jul 04, 2012
chai! grin

1 Like

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by ichidodo: 9:56am On Jul 04, 2012
i am tired of this tradition, contemplatin marryin a non-igbo but a catholic woman.
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by ebamma(m): 9:57am On Jul 04, 2012
its because of this exorbitant bribe price,that many guys are not married,the family of a girl, always want to use her marriage time as a time to hammer,its high time we put an end to this archaic tradition.

2 Likes

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by ZUBY77(m): 10:02am On Jul 04, 2012
The solution to that problem is too simple. Impregnant the girl and her parents will be begging you to just show your face.

5 Likes

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by honeric01(m): 10:10am On Jul 04, 2012

How does the cost of a wedding equates the value of a woman?

1 Like

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by honeric01(m): 10:11am On Jul 04, 2012
Lordave: I was there when my dad droped £15k as ma mum's bride price. Dat was B4 the war.

As a ghost or how?
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by crackhouse(m): 10:15am On Jul 04, 2012
Lordave: I was there when my dad droped £15k as ma mum's bride price. Dat was B4 the war.
ur mother must Queen Elizabeth for her to be that costly.

1 Like

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by ebamma(m): 10:33am On Jul 04, 2012
ZUBY77: The solution to that problem is too simple. Impregnant the girl and her parents will be begging you to just show your face.
na wetin dem dey want be dat.
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Gen2jaynee: 10:34am On Jul 04, 2012
ZUBY77: The solution to that problem is too simple. Impregnant the girl and her parents will be begging you to just show your face.
guy abeg no b lie u talk jawe.....LWKMD
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by sylve11: 10:44am On Jul 04, 2012
stepo707:
whats the sense in what you just posted now?

cool grin grin grin grin
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Konnektions146(m): 10:46am On Jul 04, 2012
sosoluv: The problem is simple to solve if u are so worried abt ur pocket, go get a woman who thinks the same way u think. Get married to her and stop bothering the rest who think otherwise

dis is anoda child talkin, how much do u know abt planning and keeping a home?
i am sure u dont have a source of income ,and yu come here blabbing,
when u get ready to get married, i pray that man u love dont think de way u think so u get a little frustrated and change de way yu think.

for God`s sakes, how would a parent ask a man to pay and buy things worth over half a million,
i have a guy in dis office here that wanna marry in Akwa ibom and he was given a list thats worth over 700k and he can afford it but told de lady to wait some more.

i have a friend dat wedded in march , he spent over 1.5m naira on traditional marriage and de rest, u can imagine dem imposing bills on the traditional wedding day, it was so annoyin that de guy contemplated quitting the whole stuff .

its pathetic, are we selling our daughters or giving them out in marriage.?

1 Like

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by member479760: 10:47am On Jul 04, 2012

na so i did mine, kobo i no pay, na beg den start begging me.
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by jamace(m): 10:51am On Jul 04, 2012
Scarpon: guy if u dey broke go collect one fulani babe with 24lashes for free
LWKMD grin
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by eyu1204: 10:52am On Jul 04, 2012
The good news is that most educated families in Nigeria no longer practise such culture, it seems to be limited to the illiterates and bare-lettered sections of our society.[img]http://www.keyforex.info/g.gif[/img]

1 Like

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Mynd44: 11:18am On Jul 04, 2012
nakedall:

na so i did mine, kobo i no pay, na beg den start begging me.
Badt guy
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by depuis(f): 11:23am On Jul 04, 2012
smileyi have heard people say there is something like low key. Bride price is not that expensive. Forgive yourself and spend all you need to spend for the stipulated items on the list. try to buy your father inlaws heart with prayers,loyalty and some modest gifts. also, be truthful to your girl on the size of your pocket. she can help you talk to her father ,that the items on the list be cut down. it is very possible. if your church allows it, you can just do church blessings. later, you can call a get together of your friends. Your babe must agree with you oo!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I / Which Man Is Holding A Hoe? Discuss. / I Refused My Uncle’s Wife Of Sex & She’s Plans To Get Me Thrown Out, Pls Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.