Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,227 members, 7,815,291 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World (94932 Views)

Drop Your Tribute For Tata Madiba Nelson Mandela. The Great African Icon. / 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World / Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nebeuwa(m): 1:46am On Jul 06, 2012
I remember I posted on a similar thread a couple of months ago the inventions created by African Americans. Here are some examples:

Dr. Patricia Bath
Fight for the Right to Sight

Imagine living in a world ranging from hazy, clouded vision to that of total darkness for 30 years. Before 1985, that was the plight of those with cataracts who did not want to risk surgery with a mechanical grinder. Now imagine sitting in a doctor's office without being able to see her as she explains that it may be possible to restore your vision. You can't tell by studying body language whether to trust this person or if they're pulling your leg. All you have to go by is the sound of the voice assuring you that this procedure is safe, more accurate and more comfortable than traditional cataract surgery.

As a noted Opthamologist and famous black inventor, Dr. Patricia Bath has dedicated her life to the treatment and prevention of visual impairments. Her personal belief that everyone has the "Right to Sight" led to her invention in 1985 of a specialized tool and procedure for the removal of cataracts. With the Laserphaco Probe and procedure, Dr. Bath increased the accuracy and results of cataract surgery, which had previously been performed manually with a mechanical grinder.

The difference between the old method and her new invention was the difference between the use of highly accurate laser technology and the somewhat subjective accuracy of a mechanical device. The Laserphaco Probe combined an optical laser, irrigation system and suction tubes. In use, the laser is inserted into a tiny incision on the eye; the laser then vaporizes the cataract and lens material, which is removed via the suction tubes. A replacement lens is then inserted on the eye.

With the Laserphaco Probe invention and the development of the procedure for its use, Dr. Bath helped restore the sight of several people who had been blinded by cataracts for up to 30 years. Imagine the joy they felt when they opened their eyes to see Dr. Patricia Bath's smiling face for the first time.

Valerie Thomas
Inventor of the Illusion Transmitter

Did you ever think of what it might be like if your television could project the on-screen image directly into your living room as a 3-Dimensional image? Maybe not, but if it happens, you'll have African-American inventor Valerie Thomas to thank for it.

From 1964 to 1995, Thomas worked in a variety of capacities for NASA where she developed real-time computer data systems, conducted large-scale experiments and managed various operations, projects and facilities. While managing a project for NASA's image processing systems, Thomas' team spearheaded the development of "Landsat," the first satellite to send images from space.

In 1976, Thomas learned how concave mirrors can be set up to create the illusion of a 3-dimensional object. She believed this would be revolutionary if technology could be harnessed to transmit this illusion. With an eye to the future, Valerie Thomas began experimenting on an illusion transmitter in 1977. In 1980, she patented it. In operation, concave mirrors are set up on both ends of the transmission. The net effect of this is an optical illusion of a 3-dimensional image that looks real on the receiving end. This brilliant innovation placed Thomas among the most prominent black inventors of the 20th century.

NASA continues to use her technology and is exploring ways to use it in surgical tools and possibly television and video.

Garrett A. Morgan
Traffic Signal and Gas Mask Inventor

Many of the world's most famous inventors only produced one major invention that garnered recognition and cemented their prominent status. But Garret Augustus Morgan, one of the country's most successful African-American inventors, created two – the gas mask and the traffic signal.

Born in the last quarter of the nineteenth century to former slaves, Garrett A. Morgan was only formally educated to a sixth-grade level. Fortunately, like many great inventors, Morgan had an innate mechanical mind that enabled him to solve problems. And, unlike most other inventors, he also was a skilled entrepreneur.

After moving to Cleveland, Ohio, at the age of 18, Garrett Morgan's business sense and strong work ethic led him to almost immediate success. He invented and patented the first chemical hair straightener, started his own sewing equipment repair business, and even established a newspaper – the Cleveland Call.

But Morgan's most prolific accomplishments came in his role as an inventor. He received a patent for the first gas mask invention in 1914, but it wasn't until two years later that the idea really took off. When a group of workers got stuck in a tunnel below Lake Erie after an explosion, Morgan and a team of men donned the masks to help get them out. After the rescue was a success, requests for the masks began pouring in.

Similarly, Garrett Morgan's other famous invention – the traffic signal – was also invented to help save lives. After witnessing an accident on a roadway, Morgan decided a device was needed to keep cars, buggies and pedestrians from colliding. His traffic signal was designed to stand on a street corner and notify vehicles and walkers whether they should stop or go. After receiving a patent in 1923, the rights to the invention were eventually purchased by General Electric.

John Henry Thompson
Computer Programming and Software Inventions

Even in high school, John Henry Thompson was interested in computer programming languages. He taught himself several programming languages such as FORTRAN, PLI, COBOL and JCL while working in a New York research facility. Thompson's goal was to absorb as much knowledge as possible so he could invent his own computer language.

After graduating from High School, he attended MIT where he obtained a degree in Computer Science and a minor in Visual Arts. By combining these two seemingly disparate disciplines, Thompson wanted to bridge the gap between art and technology. Four years later as a chief scientist at Macromedia™, he was able to make progress towards this goal. He developed a number of products, many of them based on his most famous invention, Lingo programming: a scripting language that helps render visuals in computer programs. Thompson used Lingo in one of his better-known computer inventions, Macromedia™ Director. Macromedia™ Director is able to incorporate different graphic formats (such as BMP, AVI, JPEG, QuickTime, PNG, RealVideo and vector graphics) to create multi-media content and applications, thus combining computer programming language with visual art.

Lingo is now used with many programs that have interactive simulations with graphics, animation, sound, and video. Along with Macromedia™ Director, Thompson has helped develop MediaMaker, Actions, VideoWorks Accelerator, and Video Works II. Lingo has also been used to create flash and shockwave programs that now are prevalent in video games, web design, animation, and graphics.

Dr. Charles Drew
Blood Bank Inventor

It's impossible to determine how many hundreds of thousands of people would have lost their lives without the contributions of African-American inventor Dr. Charles Drew. This physician, researcher and surgeon revolutionized the understanding of blood plasma – leading to the invention of blood banks.

Born in 1904 in Washington, D.C., Charles Drew excelled from early on in both intellectual and athletic pursuits. After becoming a doctor and working as a college instructor, Drew went to Columbia University to do his Ph.D. on blood storage. He completed a thesis titled Banked Blood that invented a method of separating and storing plasma, allowing it to be dehydrated for later use. It was the first time Columbia awarded a doctorate to an African-American.

At the onset of World War II, Drew was called upon to put his techniques into practice. He emerged as the leading authority on mass transfusion and processing methods, and went on to helm the American Red Cross blood bank. When the Armed Forces ordered that only Caucasian blood be given to soldiers, Drew protested and resigned.

Frederick McKinley Jones
Refrigerator Inventions

Anytime you see a truck on the highway transporting refrigerated or frozen food, you're seeing the work of Frederick McKinley Jones.

One of the most prolific Black inventors ever, Jones patented more than 60 inventions in his lifetime. While more than 40 of those patents were in the field of refrigeration, Jones is most famous for inventing an automatic refrigeration system for long haul trucks and railroad cars.

Before Jones' invention, the only way to keep food cool in trucks was to load them with ice. Jones was inspired to invent the system after talking with a truck driver who lost his whole cargo of chicken because he couldn't reach his destination before the ice melted. As a solution, the African-American inventor developed a roof-mounted cooling system to make sure food stayed fresh.

In addition to that refrigerator invention, Jones also invented an air-conditioning unit for military field hospitals, a refrigerator for military field kitchens, a self-starting gas engine, a series of devices for movie projectors and box-office equipment that gave tickets and made change. Jones was posthumously awarded the National Medal of Technology in 1991 – the first Black inventor to ever receive such an honor.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ektbear: 1:49am On Jul 06, 2012
What is the difference between European inventions and "white inventions"?

Are whites and Europeans different groups to you?

What is your quibble, exactly?

Also, my point is, they are focused TODAY on saving their country from economic disaster. Do you think at this particular moment they give a sh1t about Aristotle or whatever? They've got bigger problems to face, a mighty dragon that needs to be slayed.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nebeuwa(m): 1:50am On Jul 06, 2012
ekt_bear: There are very two dangerous trends I've noticed among Africans and black people more generally:

1. Reveling in dubious achievements made thousands of years ago. E.g., "the pyramids were built by black people. Yayyyyyyy!" Even pretending temporarily that this actually happened, shouldn't the natural response be, "OK, so who gives a fvck? What have you done for me lately?"

2. Blaming others for certain problems. E.g., it was the white man who colonized us who is to blame for our troubles. Well, didn't he colonize other people too? I'm not saying that he is innocent of course. He certainly is not. But it isn't as if he is God that he determines your destiny somehow.

These attitudes are not conducive to building a better future.

A very dangerous trend I must say. I love African/Black history just like the next person, but not to the point of stagnation.

Especially, when Europeans and Asians are leading the way in technology. Just look at the recently discovered "God Particle."
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by PhysicsQED(m): 1:50am On Jul 06, 2012
Rossikk:

Uhmmmm, actually, YES, seriously. If you consider that humans wandered the earth for thousands of years WITHOUT those things UNTIL they began to be developed in Africa. As stated earlier, this is all backed by scholarly research, which strangely, you seem either blind to, allergic to, or unwilling to explore.

Just because we have these abilities today in abundance doesn't mean we've always had them, or that they should be taken for granted.

Speech - not an invention. A consequence of evolution. The people who lived 100,000 years ago looked nothing like modern day black Africans by the way.

Art - even toddlers can make art. Who decides what the first art is? Are cave paintings art? And if not, why not? Anyway, once again those people 75,000 years ago didn't even look like modern black Africans and they're the ancestors of many peoples in the world today, not just black people.

Religion - the Gobekli Tepe sanctuary is the oldest religious structure known in the world. Nevalı Çori is also quite old. You can't just quote some guy who lived in 60 BC as if he would know what was going on in 6000 BC let alone earlier.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ektbear: 1:51am On Jul 06, 2012
OK, I guess there is a bit of terminology difference.

For me, white = "people of European ancestry." I tend to lump them together, whether they are now in Canada, the US, etc or not.

For me, black/African = "people primarily of African ancestry." Again, I tend to sort of lump them together.

If you are attaching different meaning to terms like "white", "black", "African", etc, then perhaps we should clear this up now
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ektbear: 1:53am On Jul 06, 2012
Nebeuwa:

A very dangerous trend I must say. I love African/Black history just like the next person, but not to the point of stagnation.

Especially, when Europeans and Asians are leading the way in technology. Just look at the recently discovered "God Particle."

The ting tire me o

White man is finding higgs boson, African man (Rossikke) is talking about how his ancestor Blahlbhablah built the pyramids and sh1t.

It is hard to move to the FUTURE when a big fraction of your population is trapped in the past. A FAKE past, for that matter.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by PhysicsQED(m): 1:56am On Jul 06, 2012
ekt_bear: OK, fine. So in every society/culture, there are Rossikes.

But are there more Rossikes in black/African society/culture or in white society/culture? Empirically, what have you observed, as a percentage of the populations?

White people that I know don't give a sh1t about stuff that happened several thousand years ago. This is not what they use to boost their self-esteem.

Granted, there is some bias since I don't actively seek to find the white equivalents of Rossike grin

Yeah, I've come across more people that exhibit this kind of behavior that are black, unfortunately.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Rossikk(m): 1:58am On Jul 06, 2012
ekt_bear: What is the difference between European inventions and "white inventions"?

Are whites and Europeans different groups to you?

What is your quibble, exactly?

Also, my point is, they are focused TODAY on saving their country from economic disaster. Do you think at this particular moment they give a sh1t about Aristotle or whatever? They've got bigger problems to face, a mighty dragon that needs to be slayed.

Is the entire Africa discussing this thread? Is this not something One African - myself - has brought up? How does my bringing this up mean the entire Africa is discussing history? I mean what the hell is wrong with you? Are you saying there's no where on the entire web where Europeans or Asians are discussing their history this very moment? You really need to back off and quit making a fool of yourself here. Or perhaps you're really young and need to grow up a bit?
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nobody: 2:00am On Jul 06, 2012
This Physics guy and his Eurocentric mumbo jumbo is comical..
grin

This guy said Gobekli Tepe sanctuary is the first form religion lol..

Turkey also built the first civilization in the world. grin
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nobody: 2:02am On Jul 06, 2012
Europeans discuss their history all the time, but Africans are never allowed to talk about our history..

It's just pathetic..

Why can't look into our past?
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Rossikk(m): 2:02am On Jul 06, 2012
Nebeuwa:

Start a technology thread you MOR.ON.

Is there a bandwith shortage on this site? Don't come in here dictating what we can discuss. THIS is a history thread. If African history is not your thing, GET LOST.

I'm no longer going to be civil on this. I REPEAT. This is a history thread. If African history is not your thing, GET LOST. But DO NOT tell us NOT to discuss our history, or you will get a serious tongue lashing from me.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nobody: 2:04am On Jul 06, 2012
Rossikk:

If you used a horse or donkey for your harvest you do not make out you did it all on your own strength and power. If you arrive at work in your car you do not pretend you flew or walked miles on your own, since that amounts to dishonesty.

This is quite a daft response. Of course if i drove my car to work i do not claim to have flown or walked... but neither does the car claim to have gotten their by itself nor have i seen a donkey having a say in whether corn or wheat is the crop of choice on the farm ploughed. African Americans were the slave labor... but the true brains and those deserving of most of the credit are the white Europeans... look at Haiti.

Rossikk:
Sorry but that's absolute HORSE MANURE. African Americans have EVERY RIGHT ON GOD'S EARTH to claim the good things America has to offer as theirs, none of which would have been in the least possible without them.

To say America would not have existed without African Americans is the real horse manure here. Lets be honest with ourselves...

Rossikk:
It's neither something to be proud of nor ashamed of. Facts are facts. Blacks helped build the United States of America, and have just as much a stake in the country as anyone else, if not more, since it was they who felt the whip more than anyone else.

That is a dishonest play on words. Again blacks were simply the slaves who simply did what massa told them to do.

Rossikk:
Spoken like a true ignoramus with zero knowledge of Haitian history. Why don't you get off CNN and go do some real studying??

Again i repeat... Haiti hasnt been colonised in over 50yrs... why cant they get their shit together still while countries like the Dominican republic are doing ok? Nah... just blame the white man for the black man's failures.

Rossikk:
Another dumb comment. Haiti is a tiny island surrounded by powerful large nations like the USA, Canada, France et al, and was never allowed to get on its feet after wresting independence from France. If they were white as snow they would have had the exact same problems if they had to pay 85% of their annual income to their former owners for over a century or risk annihilation, while enduring periodic invasion and occupation from the US, hell-bent on exploitation. LEARN TO USE YOUR BRAIN TO INVESTIGATE ISSUES ON THEIR OWN MERIT rather than simply attaching a simplistic racial explanation to everything like some cursed ill-educated dunce.

Big fool... the Dominican republic shares a large border with Haiti and its GDP per capita is at least 8-9 times more than that of Haiti. Next excuse?
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Rossikk(m): 2:05am On Jul 06, 2012
shymmex: Europeans discuss their history all the time, but Africans are never allowed to talk about our history..

It's just pathetic..

Why can't look into our past?

Don't mind these worthless, self-hating slaves.

If I started a thread praising ancient Roman ingenuity, you'd be shocked how they'd all suddenly love history and contribute fulsomely to the thread.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nobody: 2:05am On Jul 06, 2012
Higgin Boson discovery is a missing particle to just 4% of the study of the universe..

There's nothing special about the discovery, just another hyped bs..
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nobody: 2:06am On Jul 06, 2012
Rossikk:

Don't mind these worthless, self-hating slaves.

If I started a thread praising ancient Roman ingenuity, you'd be shocked how they'd all suddenly love history and contribute fulsomely to the thread.

I know PhysicsQED will be the first to post on that thread..

I like the brother - but he's just too Eurocentric.. undecided
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nebeuwa(m): 2:06am On Jul 06, 2012
Rossikk:

Start a technology thread you MOR.ON.

Is there a bandwith shortage on this site? Don't come in here dictating what we can discuss. THIS is a history thread. If African history is not your thing, GET LOST.

I'm no longer going to be civil on this. I REPEAT. This is a history thread. If African history is not your thing, GET LOST. But DO NOT tell us NOT to discuss our history, or you will get a serious tongue lashing from me.

Whoa! No need for that my friend. You can have your history thread. But since you are discussing ancient TECHNOLOGY, of course I would be attracted to this thread.

Now let us be civil.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nobody: 2:09am On Jul 06, 2012
Again i repeat... Haiti hasnt been colonised in over 50yrs... why cant they get their poo together still while countries like the Dominican republic are doing ok? Nah... just blame the white man for the black man's failures.

This is an ignorant comment..

Do you know how much Haiti has to pay France annually from their budget for independence, and how long they have been paying them for?

Read more about Haiti before posting an ignorant comment smh.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nebeuwa(m): 2:10am On Jul 06, 2012
shymmex: Higgin Boson discovery is a missing particle to just 4% of the study of the universe..

There's nothing special about the discovery, just another hyped bs..

I guess you do not understand the enormity of that discovery. Well let me help you. A Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that interacts with other subatomic particles that are the building blocks of atoms. It's the reason that matter in the universe has mass.

This is a giant leap for HUMANITY. Not this parochial interest that I see being spewed throughout this thread.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ezeagu(m): 2:13am On Jul 06, 2012
ekt_bear: White people that I know don't give a sh1t about stuff that happened several thousand years ago.

That's because they don't have to. Just pick up a history book and the content speaks for itself.

ekt_bear: This is not what they use to boost their self-esteem.

Out of all the history documentaries and even general discussions of the ancient world, are you willing to say people of African descent lead the majority of them?
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Rossikk(m): 2:16am On Jul 06, 2012
Davidylan quote:

This is quite a daft response. Of course if i drove my car to work i do not claim to have flown or walked... but neither does the car claim to have gotten their by itself

African Americans never claimed to have created America by themselves. You are the one trying to deny them agency in their role as co-creators of that nation.

African Americans were the slave labor... but the true brains and those deserving of most of the credit are the white Europeans...

What good are brains if there's no one to do the work? Go build a skyscraper or city with mere 'brains' and no workers and see how far you'll get. Ewu.

Look at Haiti

Loot at your dull brain. I already explained 'Haiti' on this thread. You ignored it only to regurgitate the same brain-dead question.

To say America would not have existed without African Americans is the real horse manure here. Lets be honest with ourselves...

Oh.. so the 'brains' would have magically created a powerful nation from their offices using what? Cigars and pipes??

That is a dishonest play on words. Again blacks were simply the slaves who simply did what massa told them to do.

Did the blacks contribute or not? That is the question. If they did, then they have a stake in the country. One can easily 'play on words' and say the whites did nothing. All they did was kill off the Indians and force the blacks to work while they sat on their lazy fat asses doing nothing.

Again i repeat... Haiti hasnt been colonised in over 50yrs... why cant they get their poo together still while countries like the Dominican republic are doing ok? Nah... just blame the white man for the black man's failures.

How many times has the Dominican Republic been invaded and dictators imposed by US marines in the last 50 years? I'll tell you. ZERO times. Haiti? At least 4 times. The last invasion was to remove the popularly elected leader Aristide, to replace with a US stooge. See, if you weren't a clown, you'd realise that the US rarely (sorry, never) does such stuff in white nations.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by PhysicsQED(m): 2:19am On Jul 06, 2012
shymmex: This Physics guy and his Eurocentric mumbo jumbo is comical..
grin

This guy said Gobekli Tepe sanctuary is the first form religion lol..

Turkey also built the first civilization in the world. grin

I didn't say the people who built it were Turkish and I didn't say they had the world's first religion. (And the Turkish are not really considered European anyway, even if they might use the Euro.)

Also, I don't believe you can pinpoint the first religion, but since the first religious structure is already known, you can go with that.

If I had said the first religious structure was in Africa, what would you have said?

Anyway, I don't see what the significance of some of this is. One of the oldest boats ever found was discovered in Nigeria. Does that mean we were suddenly great sea-farers in the past? No.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by PhysicsQED(m): 2:24am On Jul 06, 2012
shymmex:

I know PhysicsQED will be the first to post on that thread..

I like the brother - but he's just too Eurocentric.. undecided

Where have I ever praised Roman ingenuity?

Man, just stop misinterpreting my comments. I don't see eye to eye on some things with you guys and you label me "something-centric" in order to dismiss my posts.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ezeagu(m): 2:26am On Jul 06, 2012
davidylan:

This is quite a daft response. Of course if i drove my car to work i do not claim to have flown or walked... but neither does the car claim to have gotten their by itself nor have i seen a donkey having a say in whether corn or wheat is the crop of choice on the farm ploughed. African Americans were the slave labor... but the true brains and those deserving of most of the credit are the white Europeans... look at Haiti.

Please explain to us the history of Haiti and how it supports your points.

davidylan:

So where would the labor have come from?

davidylan:

So why were people from rice farming regions of Africa (Senegambia) taken to rice farms, and people from smithing regions of Africa (Bight of Biafra) taken to work places that dealt with metal and building, and people who could read and write (Muslims) kept as house helps, and those who were used as labor put into factories?

Be honset, if I multiplied you by 50 and set you out to build a bridge would you be able to do it?

davidylan: Again i repeat... Haiti hasnt been colonised in over 50yrs... why cant they get their shit together still while countries like the Dominican republic are doing ok? Nah... just blame the white man for the black man's failures.

Big fool... the Dominican republic shares a large border with Haiti and its GDP per capita is at least 8-9 times more than that of Haiti. Next excuse?

Could you please explain the relationship with a freed former-slave colony in the early 19th century Caribbean which was surrounded solely by European slave-colonies backed by multiple powerful European empires in the thick of the transatlantic slave trade? Can you recall the battles that France and others took and has been taking out on Haiti since you know so much of Haiti's histories and how they are so useless because they are black?

1 Like

Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Rossikk(m): 2:35am On Jul 06, 2012
Ezeagu you get time o
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ezeagu(m): 2:37am On Jul 06, 2012
ekt_bear: I don't have any real reason to do this. Will you see someone post on a random forum, "12 great white inventions that changed the world" grin grin grin

In general, I see less of this need to boost themselves among white people. You see Greeks happy about their contributions thousands of years ago. But they are more focused on solving their current troubles rather than wallowing in a glorious past.

Similarly, I guess in theory the Germans might be somewhat bummed that they didn't do anything 3,000 years ago. But fortunately for the Germans, they have some things today and tomorrow to be happy about..

Anyways...I didn't bother debunking any of these accomplishments seriously because it is somewhat obvious they are a crock.

However, perhaps it is necessary for me to do this, as tedious and boring as this will be for me..

You've clearly fell for it. In the West: Whenever there's a discussion on bronze casting or bronze artefacts in history, how many times do you think Benin will be discussed and for how long? When there's a discussion on ultra-realistic ancient art, how many times do you think Ife will be mentioned? Whenever there's a discussion on ancient arms, how many times do you think the weapons of Africa, such as the cross-bow will be mentioned? Whenever there's a discussion on Egypt, how many times will the origin of the Egyptians in the upper nile be discussed as opposed to the Macedonian, the Greek, the Sumerian, and other non-African origins or a pharaoh or his "red hair"?

These are questions that you ask yourself and then realise that the West is a EURO-CENTRIC SOCIETY and it[b] AUTOMATICALLY ASSUMES THAT EVERYTHING EUROPIAN IS THE NORM AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS 'OTHER' AND UNIMPORTANT[/b] (which is why they do not need to put white, caucasian, or European in any of their headlines and why your story is limited to a footnote or a page in a history text-book).
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nebeuwa(m): 2:37am On Jul 06, 2012
Yes, we know Africans built this:

However, can we start focusing on other scientific endeavors like this:

Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ezeagu(m): 2:40am On Jul 06, 2012
"However", the title of the thread is [size=18pt]12 Great [/size][size=25pt]*African*[/size][size=18pt] Inventions That Changed The World[/size]
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Rossikk(m): 2:50am On Jul 06, 2012
I bet you if that so-called 'God Particle' had been discovered by Nigerian scientists, it would have been rubbished by these same folks who would ask ''how does it affect the price of garri?'' But hey, whitey made a big deal of it so it must be 'really important'. Quite frankly I'm more concerned about them starting off WW3 over the stup.id nonsense going on in the middle east courtesy of their boundless greed and avarice. I tend to think the west focus on the wrong things in many ways. They need to put their current dominance to better use, such as by not devoting half the world's resources to death and destruction. The west spends trillions of dollars a year building weapons, a decidedly stu.pid thing to do that massively jeopardises the future of our planet. Somehow, discovering some 'particle' doesn't make up for this collective idiocy and moral bankruptcy.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nebeuwa(m): 3:02am On Jul 06, 2012
Rossikk: I bet you if that so-called 'God Particle' had been discovered by Nigerian scientists, it would have been rubbished by these same folks who would ask ''how does it affect the price of garri?'' But hey, whitey made a big deal of it so it must be 'really important'. Quite frankly I'm more concerned about them starting off WW3 over the stup.id nonsense going on in the middle east courtesy of their boundless greed and avarice. I tend to think the west focus on the wrong things in many ways. They need to put their current dominance to better use, such as by not devoting half the world's resources to death and destruction. The west spends trillions of dollars a year building weapons, a decidedly stu.pid thing to do that massively jeopardises the future of our planet. Somehow, discovering some 'particle' doesn't make up for this collective idiocy and moral bankruptcy.

I'll leave your response with this quote from a wise person.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” ~Yoda

Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nobody: 3:26am On Jul 06, 2012
Rossikk: Davidylan quote:

African Americans never claimed to have created America by themselves. You are the one trying to deny them agency in their role as co-creators of that nation.

Again this is nothing but a deceitful flight of fancy. So the mechanic who works on your car for wages is a part owner of that car with you? Do you consider the laborer hired to weld sheets at the GM factory a co-creator of the Chevy Equinox?

Rossikk:
What good are brains if there's no one to do the work? Go build a skyscraper or city with mere 'brains' and no workers and see how far you'll get. Ewu.

this is laughable. To think that America would never have been built without black labor is nonsense. Germany and Japan are not far away from the US in terms of Industrialization and they did all that without black labor. Nigeria has 300 million blacks... is it anywhere closer to the US in terms of industry?

Rossikk:
Loot at your dull brain. I already explained 'Haiti' on this thread. You ignored it only to regurgitate the same brain-dead question.

Again daft and the same problem with blacks... blame their own problems on the white man. I asked a simple question... Haiti and the Dominican republic share a large border... why is the GDP per capita of DR over 8 times that of Haiti? Are they not surrounded by the same countries? The USA was a colony of the UK for yrs... why hasnt Haiti emulated them in terms of development with all the free black labor? Ewu maalu.

Rossikk:
Oh.. so the 'brains' would have magically created a powerful nation from their offices using what? Cigars and pipes??

See above id[i]i[/i]ot. Without black labor America would have been built. Have you ever wondered why the only nations in Africa with any form of industrialization are all nations with whites in sizeable population?

Rossikk:
Did the blacks contribute or not? That is the question. If they did, then they have a stake in the country. One can easily 'play on words' and say the whites did nothing. All they did was kill off the Indians and force the blacks to work while they sat on their lazy fat asses doing nothing.

Yeah... and that irresponsible feeling of aggrieved entitlement (aka "stake"wink is the reason so many of them simply feel it is ok to just depend on government welfare. Lazy morons.

Rossikk:
How many times has the Dominican Republic been invaded and dictators imposed by US marines in the last 50 years? I'll tell you. ZERO times. Haiti? At least 4 times. The last invasion was to remove the popularly elected leader Aristide, to replace with a US stooge. See, if you weren't a clown, you'd realise that the US rarely (sorry, never) does such stuff in white nations.

How long ago was Haiti invaded? So that invasion decades ago is why they cant build a single decent road to save themselves? Black people sef na wa.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nobody: 3:28am On Jul 06, 2012
Nebeuwa:

I guess you do not understand the enormity of that discovery. Well let me help you. A Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that interacts with other subatomic particles that are the building blocks of atoms. It's the reason that matter in the universe has mass.

This is a giant leap for HUMANITY. Not this parochial interest that I see being spewed throughout this thread.

Thats the nonsense whites sold you. Have you tested this in the lab yet? We just parrot anything we see in white media as true without verification.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by PhysicsQED(m): 3:34am On Jul 06, 2012
davidylan:
Nigeria has 300 million blacks.

Slow down.

I think you're in another time right now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Used Fake Rolls Royce Ghost Hearse For Mum's Burial / Nnamdi Kanu: Why I Jumped Bail, Escaped From Nigeria / Glory Okolie Detained By IRT Officers (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.