Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World (94929 Views)

Drop Your Tribute For Tata Madiba Nelson Mandela. The Great African Icon. / 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World / Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Rossikk(m): 5:32pm On Jul 06, 2012
ekt_bear: What we should be happy about is that, the way the world works these days, you don't have to be handicapped by things your ancestors did not do.

Her ancestors have probably been literate since the time of Christ, mine have only been literate since 1900 or so. Yet we are in exactly the same place in life.

The world is growing more egalitarian, and becoming more of a meritocracy. Information is more freely available than it ever was before.

Python that was invented by some Dutch programmer can be freely used by Nigerians like Seun to build Nairaland. Or an American technology company like Google to build most of their infrastructure.

We are no longer isolated from the rest of humanity.

So, rather than wallowing in fake accomplishments of the past...now is the time to go out and conquer!

What does a worthless riff raff like you know about what's 'fake' or not? How old are you even? Bush fool with no brain. What qualifications do you have to challenge even 1 of the esteemed professors and academics quoted exhaustively to buttress the list of African innovations for you to open your dirty, stinking mouth to call anything fake? Village clown who found access to internet and decided to stink up the place with his self hate and inferiority complex. Have you studied a single history book in your entire worthless life to open your stinking mouth to call anything 'fake'? Olodo Rabata. Instead of you to shut up and learn from those who have done the research, you come here to pollute the thread with your ignorance. Again, tell us YOUR qualifications and what and what YOU have read, researched, or studied, to call anything posted here 'fake', and if you can't do this, accept you're a charlatan that's punching way above his weight on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 06, 2012
the comparison of rosski and shymexx to loser supremacists on stormfront is def on point - they can only resort to personal insults
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by dasparrow: 6:01pm On Jul 06, 2012
shymmex: Great post by ROSSIKE - please ignore these ignorant buffoons..

Nigerians are not the smartest people out there - bunch of certificate thumpers with inferiority complex... No identity having bunch of negroids...

Interesting read! cool

Gbam! very well said Shymmex. We ought to know by now that most Nigerians are some of the world's most self hating negroes. Everything the whiteman does attracts their praise and accolades and when Africans do some notable things worthy of praise, Nigerians start bad mouthing. Sorry set of pathetic people with identity crises and a low self esteem!
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Rossikk(m): 6:05pm On Jul 06, 2012
coolzeal: Of course Africans will rise again just like in antiquity. I know full well that Kemet(ancient Egypt) are black African civilization, the culture, languages, Art, techno-complex, religion etc. They're so many civilization in Africa apart from ancient Egypt; such as the Carthage in Hannibal period, Nubian or Kush, the great Zimbabwe, Ethiopia( Lalibela) the oldest christian in the world, Ghana, Songhai, Timbuktu( the largest university and sophisticated center of learning in the 14th century when Europe is still in mess) Moors, Lunda, congo, Rwanda, Buganda( Successful Caesarean section performed by indigenous healers in Kahura, Uganda. As observed by R. W. Felkin in 1879. when no one survive it in Europe) Lozi, Malawi, Monomotapa, Kilwa, Merina, Zulu, Axum, Kanem Bornu, Yoruba, Bini or Benin, Ashanti, Wolof... These're great kingdom in antiquity on the African continent by black Africans... i know why they could not consider us in history because, all the anthropological study of blacks has being dealing with primitive or semi primitive or little rural villiage or simple people on the edge of the continent. A lot of people don't know that we Africans suffer from the greatest holocaust in history of mankind, we've been turn slaves, colonize, dehumanize and lost everything we once had in antiquity and knowledge of ourselves. The Africans was on the seize of war back then to protect their land and its wealth( Gold, spice, Art etc) from the Arab and the European invasion but fail to defend herself plus we black people are the most hated people in the world. Well for all the lost sheep( Maybe the bible is talking about us here haha).. Please read and research more. We were great people in ancient time and history and we will rise again.. I think this site is good to learn about Africa history....http://www.africankingdoms.com/

Well done, coolzeal. Do you know that in Nigeria lies the largest man-made structure in all of Africa? The Eredo Earthworks at Ijebu-Ode. It's 160 miles long and over a thousand years old. It required more earth to construct than was used for the pyramid of Giza in Egypt.

"In terms of sheer size it's the largest single monument in Africa - larger than any of the Egyptian pyramids," said Dr Patrick Darling of the University of Bournemouth'' -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/356850.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/607382.stm

Of course, due to precisely the sort of colonialism-induced disdain for the African past propounded by the likes of ekt-bear, oyb, and davidylan, hardly anyone in Nigeria knows or cares to know, much less maintain the monument or clean it up for tourism etc. A veritable money-spinner that could be worth billions in tourist revenue if cleaned up and presented properly to the world. Meanwhile in England, just one tiny collection of rocks at Stonehenge manages to draw millions of tourists every year due to how the English value it, promote it, and present it as a ''wonder of the world''. In fact we have problems as a people, and the sooner we get rid of the likes of ekt bear and co from our midst the better for us.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jul 06, 2012
[size=14pt]Vindicating Haiti and exposing Davidylan's ignorance:[/size]

Haiti: A Historical Perspective

After a Haitian slave revolt defeated the French army in 1801, the newly independent nation became the first country in the New World to abolish slavery. Haiti used to be the richest country in the western hemisphere.

Haiti won its independence after a long revolution that destroyed a lot of the country. They were then required to pay a large indemnity to France or else many countries—including the United States—refused to acknowledge Haiti for fear that it would encourage an American slave revolt. More recently, both Haiti and the Dominican Republic were occupied by the United States, but Haiti was occupied for much longer. By the time the U.S. pulled out in 1934, Haiti's own institutions had atrophied.

As for Haitian farmers competing with U.S. imports, it raises the larger question of how the U.S. subsidizes its farm industry and dumps surplus crops in the form of food aid. This practice has done a lot of damage in Haiti and other developing countries. For Haiti to sustain its own people, it needs to rebuild the roads and infrastructure needed to transport crops internally.

After the coup against President Aristide in 2004, there was a lot of controversy over what Haiti's economy should look like. A lot of Haitians felt that reform was being dictated by Washington. Haiti wasn't given enough of a chance to help itself, which made the political instability worse.

PS: It's not culture or curse, but a difficult history of occupation and environmental degradation that explain the country's woes.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2010/01/15/haiti-a-historical-perspective.html
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ektbear: 8:24pm On Jul 06, 2012
ezeagu: Fair enough. You will continue to believe in some sort of conspiracy against the black man's history (and tbh, to some minor extent there may be a bias).

But for me, the larger issue is that we just didn't write or document sh1t until very recently.

Let us agree to disagree, I suppose
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ektbear: 8:45pm On Jul 06, 2012
Rossikk: So, if someone doesn't believe your clearly fraudulent tales, then they necessarily suffer from an inferiority complex? Is this your argument?

Again, if anything, I have the opposite problem...that I think too highly of myself relative to other people.

Finally, regarding this "argument by appeal to authority", you do realize that is a logical fallacy, yes? Just because the most renowned academic says X doesn't mean that X is true.

Moreover, if your argument has such a thin basis, then whenever anyone else with equal or comparable credentials appears...

Look, the point is simple. You are full of horsesh1t. You yourself know this to be true. Don't get pissed that someone is calling you out on it
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ezeagu(m): 9:10pm On Jul 06, 2012
ekt_bear: ezeagu: Fair enough. You will continue to believe in some sort of conspiracy against the black man's history (and tbh, to some minor extent there may be a bias).

No, there isn't a conspiracy against black history, there's a bias against anything non-white period which is why you don't even know much history about people who even wrote down their history, unless written by themselves like Asians. The best way to account for this bias is for Africans to research and tell their own stories like others have, which is why we have this thread (which you and others are bashing for what really seems to be no reason other than appearing unconventional).

ekt_bear: (and tbh, to some minor extent there may be a bias).

Where did you find this bias?
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ektbear: 12:00am On Jul 07, 2012
I don't mind telling stories, if they are true.

But obviously baloney like the OP has posted is what you enjoy reading? undecided

This you think is the solution? Or a part of the solution, rather than contributing to the problem?
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by okadaman2: 1:07am On Jul 07, 2012
Interesting thread.

The back and forth arguments here reminds me of my first encounter with core African History as a university course.

I never understood the power of history, especially positive historical narratives until I got to the university. I first heard the quote below during an History GST class in my first semester. It bothered me so much then not because he was right, but because I could not articulate why he was wrong. I had to dig deep and read books and works done by African Writers, Philosophers and Historians like Samuel Johnson, Ben-jochannan, Frantz Fanon, Chancellor Williams, Bolanle Awe, Cheikh Anta Diop, Wole Soyinka, Ade Ajayi, Ivan Van Sertima, John Henrik Clarke, WEB Dubois etc.

Their work gave me a counter example, a positive otherness. This was important for me. It may not be the same for everybody. but If you grew up reading quotes like the ones below, it's not difficult to see the African as irredeemable. Especially if you are not African or have little or no interest in exploring further.

So History, especially positive ones are great, yes, one should not focus on the past while ignoring the present. But at the same time, it's dangerous to leave your history for other people to define for you. You may not like how they'll inteprete you

See examples of world famous historians and philosophers concocting nonsense because they just can't be bothered to do better.

I encountered the first quote in School, the second was by Hegel one of the most important philosophers ever, Hegel influenced people like Marx, Heidegger, Engel, Deridda and other powerhouses of Western thought.

“Perhaps in the future there will be some African history to teach. But at the present there is none; there is only the history of Europeans in Africa. The rest is darkness, and darkness is not the subject of history." - Hugh Trevor-Roper the Regius Professor of Modern History at Oxford.

Hegel;
"The peculiarly African character is difficult to comprehend, for the very reason that in reference to it, we must quite give up the principle which naturally accompanies all our ideas—the category of Universality.

In Negro life the characteristic point is the fact that consciousness has not yet attained to the realization of any substantial objective existence—as for example, God, or Law—in which the interest of man’s volition is involved and in which he realizes his own being.

This distinction between himself as an individual and the universality of his essential being, the African in the uniform, undeveloped oneness of his existence has not yet attained; so that the Knowledge of an absolute Being, an Other and a Higher than his individual self, is entirely wanting. The Negro, as already observed, exhibits the natural man in his completely wild and untamed state.

We must lay aside all thought of reverence and morality—all that we call feeling—if we would rightly comprehend him; there is nothing harmonious with humanity to be found in this type of character.

The copious and circumstantial accounts of Missionaries completely confirm this, and Mahommedanism appears to be the only thing which in any way brings the Negroes within the range of culture."

Then Hegel Concluded thus:

At this point we leave Africa, not to mention it again. For it is no historical part of the World; it has no movement or development to exhibit. Historical movements in it—that is in its northern part—belong to the Asiatic or European World.

Carthage displayed there an important transitionary phase of civilization; but, as a Phoenician colony, it belongs to Asia. Egypt will be considered in reference to the passage of the human mind from its Eastern to its Western phase, but it does not belong to the African Spirit.

What we properly understand by Africa, is the Unhistorical, Undeveloped Spirit, still involved in the conditions of mere nature, and which had to be presented here only as on the threshold of the World’s History.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Rossikk(m): 1:39am On Jul 07, 2012
ekt_bear: Rossikk: So, if someone doesn't believe your clearly fraudulent tales, then they necessarily suffer from an inferiority complex? Is this your argument?

Again, if anything, I have the opposite problem...that I think too highly of myself relative to other people.

Finally, regarding this "argument by appeal to authority", you do realize that is a logical fallacy, yes? Just because the most renowned academic says X doesn't mean that X is true.

Moreover, if your argument has such a thin basis, then whenever anyone else with equal or comparable credentials appears...

Look, the point is simple. You are full of horsesh1t. You yourself know this to be true. Don't get pissed that someone is calling you out on it

Kindly desist from addressing me forthwith. I think you're unintelligent riff raff possibly with a mental problem. Keep your views to yourself or share same with others, but do leave me out of it. Thanks.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Rossikk(m): 1:47am On Jul 07, 2012
okada_man: Interesting thread.

The back and forth arguments here reminds me of my first encounter with core African History as a university course.

I never understood the power of history, especially positive historical narratives until I got to the university. I first heard the quote below during an History GST class in my first semester. It bothered me so much then not because he was right, but because I could not articulate why he was wrong. I had to dig deep and read books and works done by African Writers, Philosophers and Historians like Samuel Johnson, Ben-jochannan, Frantz Fanon, Chancellor Williams, Bolanle Awe, Cheikh Anta Diop, Wole Soyinka, Ade Ajayi, Ivan Van Sertima, John Henrik Clarke, WEB Dubois etc.

Their work gave me a counter example, a positive otherness. This was important for me. It may not be the same for everybody. but If you grew up reading quotes like the ones below, it's not difficult to see the African as irredeemable. Especially if you are not African or have little or no interest in exploring further.

So History, especially positive ones are great, yes, one should not focus on the past while ignoring the present. But at the same time, it's dangerous to leave your history for other people to define for you. You may not like how they'll inteprete you

See examples of world famous historians and philosophers concocting nonsense because they just can't be bothered to do better.

I encountered the first quote in School, the second was by Hegel one of the most important philosophers ever, Hegel influenced people like Marx, Heidegger, Engel, Deridda and other powerhouses of Western thought.

Hegel;

Then Hegel Concluded thus:

Great post okada man. Did you read The Destruction of Black Civilization by Dr Chancellor Williams? I consider that a seminal work on African history. You know the late Dr (an African-American) spent 20 years of his life visiting over 30+ African nations in the course of his work? That book was a hell of an eye opener. It's been called the Black Man's Bible and I could see why after reading just halfway through it.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ektbear: 1:50am On Jul 07, 2012
I know that you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

But in general...if you don't quote or respond to me, then I likely won't do the same for you
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ektbear: 1:56am On Jul 07, 2012
Or what type of dumb nigger quotes somebody, gets owned, and then is like, "Oh, please don't respond to me again"

Smh
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by okadaman2: 3:52am On Jul 07, 2012
Rossikk:

Great post okada man. Did you read The Destruction of Black Civilization by Dr Chancellor Williams? I consider that a seminal work on African history. You know the late Dr (an African-American) spent 20 years of his life visiting over 30+ African nations in the course of his work? That book was a hell of an eye opener. It's been called the Black Man's Bible and I could see why after reading just halfway through it.

Thanks. To be honest, I never finished chancellor Williams, but I did enjoy what I read. I did not agree with all his evidence, personally, I wanted more, as in more research. But I understand historical research is not an exact science. History especially ancient ones have several limitations and can lend itself to diverse interpretations.

If Hegel and Roper can make such blunders, why can't Williams or Ivan Sertima.

Anyway, to my main point, there are several reasons why history is important, for me it has a political value. Europeans have done a great job of recognizing and exploiting that particular value to further their own objectives. Africans will be silly not to do the same.

One can spend all day arguing about who first invented what till one turns blue, but for me, I'll appropriate anything I can if it will give my people the pride, esteem, drive and excuse they need to achieve higher goals. I don't care really. I'm a political animal and the more we recognize the power of these narratives the better for us and our people.

1 Like

Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Blyss: 4:43am On Jul 07, 2012
davidylan:

Largely because you live in the greatest nation on earth built by white europeans. Left on their own, the blacks in the US are no better than those in Haiti.

LOL @ this trifling Niqqa, mad at us because his continent and nation in which played the biggest part as a whole selling off our ancesters.. is now a shit hole, full of near uselessness; THE VANQUISHED BECOMES THE VICTOR. 150Mill Niqqa's, resources galore, prime regional location on the globe, and nothing to show for it but utter and complete backwardness, filth, corruption, slaughter, bigotry, GREED and Selfishness so on and so forth.. on an unparalleled scale, in which to go into detail about would be a ten page ordeal; that rabbit hole goes deep.

No need to look across the ocean at little ole Haiti when you and yours are just as much, if not more so.. a failure of Negro kind as them and theirs. Nigeria is a FAILED state every bit as Haiti is, and is so on a much larger scale. cheesy A total and complete embarrassment to the Negro kind, while we measly 40 some odd mill ex slaves descendants are the creators of nearly everything scientific, artistic, political and social of any worldly benefit known to man in the past near Millennium.

Now I say this; you're correct in your insinuation of that it's been our environment here in this nation in which has given us the drive and will to create the loads of world renowned things in which we've given to the world. Yes, our history here has EVERYTHING to do with it, in that a history of having our humanity stripped away, our liberties denied and stepped on, and our presence here in the land that birthed us segregated off to the side, tends to spawn a drive in a people to prove their worth, via a burst of creativity. White's in this nation rarely gave us anything but a hard time, and a fight to obtain some of our most basic rights, so you insinuation of that our existence here among whites has in someway eased our creative accomplishments is clearly showing just how ignorant you are of the world we've lived in and live through today.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Blyss: 4:50am On Jul 07, 2012
davidylan:

Haiti is an example of the failure of the black race. QED.
I'm black by the way. But lets call a spade a spade.

Nigeria is a bigger example of such.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by ektbear: 5:34am On Jul 07, 2012
Agreed. Nigeria is an example of the failure of the black race as well.

You don't seem to understand that most Nigerians will agree with this statement grin

Btw, I don't think davidylan's mentality is, "haha, look at them silly Haitians." He doesn't appear to have a "we are better than you" mentality, like you seem to have. Though no doubt he will correct me on these two points if I am wrong.

He is just being blunt about the state of the black man.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Blyss: 12:52pm On Jul 07, 2012
ekt_bear: Agreed. Nigeria is an example of the failure of the black race as well.

You don't seem to understand that most Nigerians will agree with this statement grin

Btw, I don't think davidylan's mentality is, "haha, look at them silly Haitians." He doesn't appear to have a "we are better than you" mentality, like you seem to have. Though no doubt he will correct me on these two points if I am wrong.

He is just being blunt about the state of the black man.

Hey, I too was simply being blunt. The truth is the truth, and if you disagree with anything I've stated I'd love for you to state what it is that you disagreed with.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Rossikk(m): 5:04pm On Jul 07, 2012
Blyss:

LOL @ this trifling Niqqa, mad at us because his continent and nation in which played the biggest part as a whole selling off our ancesters.. is now a shit hole, full of near uselessness; THE VANQUISHED BECOMES THE VICTOR. 150Mill Niqqa's, resources galore, prime regional location on the globe, and nothing to show for it but utter and complete backwardness, filth, corruption, slaughter, bigotry, GREED and Selfishness so on and so forth.. on an unparalleled scale, in which to go into detail about would be a ten page ordeal; that rabbit hole goes deep.

No need to look across the ocean at little ole Haiti when you and yours are just as much, if not more so.. a failure of Negro kind as them and theirs. Nigeria is a FAILED state every bit as Haiti is, and is so on a much larger scale. cheesy A total and complete embarrassment to the Negro kind, while we measly 40 some odd mill ex slaves descendants are the creators of nearly everything scientific, artistic, political and social of any worldly benefit known to man in the past near Millennium.

Now I say this; you're correct in your insinuation of that it's been our environment here in this nation in which has given us the drive and will to create the loads of world renowned things in which we've given to the world. Yes, our history here has EVERYTHING to do with it, in that a history of having our humanity stripped away, our liberties denied and stepped on, and our presence here in the land that birthed us segregated off to the side, tends to spawn a drive in a people to prove their worth, via a burst of creativity. White's in this nation rarely gave us anything but a hard time, and a fight to obtain some of our most basic rights, so you insinuation of that our existence here among whites has in someway eased our creative accomplishments is clearly showing just how ignorant you are of the world we've lived in and live through today.

People like you really need to keep quiet or go and read up on things before exposing your ignorance. How old is Nigeria as an independent state? 50 years? What exactly did you expect from a huge, cobbled up artificial nation of 250 ethnic groups split halfway between christians and muslims in 50 years? What did we have at independence by way of infrastructure or education? What was the literacy rate at independence? How many universities did we have? 0? So where exactly did you expect Nigeria to gain the expertise to create a developed, functional nation in under 50 years starting with nothing? Do you actually understand what went on during colonialism and how the British looted this country, leaving nothing behind?

Do you know that at independence infant mortality rate was 259 out of 1000? Today that figure is down to 88 out of 1000 under black rule, and falling year on year. (It was 126 in 1990) See: http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/nigeria_statistics.html Literacy rate was 7% at independence. Today it is 76% after decades of investment in education by the so called ''failed'' Nigerian state and leaders. If the British were still in charge, statistically, you and that son of a prosti.tute would be illiterate peasants just like your forbears were under British rule. Do you know how much electricity we generated after 65 years of British rule? 240 MW. Today, we generate 4,000 mw and rising.

See, until you learn to take a holistic, long term, multi-generational view of development, rather than this ignorant, tunnel vision, stand-in-one-place-casting-judgement, Pavlovian style you employ, you'll never understand the concept of development, or even the political hurdles militating against the sort of instantaneous development you naively expect. The fact is Nigeria (and indeed Africa) HAS made TREMENDOUS PROGRESS compared to where we were at independence, by ANY indices of development you care to mention - education, health, infrastructure, governance, the economy. There is no reason at all to suppose that this progress will not continue into the years ahead. In fact it IS accelerating as we speak, despite the much publicised setbacks. In informed circles, Africa is being touted as the 'next big thing' following break neck economic growth in the last 10 years. The African middle class of 350 million is now being compared in size and purchasing power to that of India and China. That's largely all due to better governance in the African states as they gain more experience in the post-colonial period. Military rule, life presidencies, etc are all but abolished on the continent. Is that not political evolution? isn't that progress? In the 1980s and 90s at least 20 full scale wars were raging across Africa. Today, we can barely count 3. Is that not a sign of increasing competence in conflict resolution? The truth is, there are MANY positives to be seen in modern Africa. But if you choose to dwell on the negatives, which are really just the teething problems of developing states, then that's your headache. Just don't expect us all to share in your doom and gloom and inferiority complex. If you really care about Nigeria and Africa, what I'd suggest is that you get on your bike, and see what YOU can do to contribute to the African renaissance, so you don't end up a little miserable footnote of irrelevance in our forward march.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Santi222(m): 8:12am On Jul 17, 2012
We also invented Jazz and African Black Magic.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Santi222(m): 8:13am On Jul 17, 2012
We also invented Black Magic, Money making rituals, and more.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Santi222(m): 8:13am On Jul 17, 2012
We also invented Black Magic, Money making rituals, and more. ;DWe also invented Black Magic, Money making rituals, and more.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Santi222(m): 8:32am On Jul 17, 2012
A very Educative thread, though.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by TerryCarr(m): 6:10am On Aug 12, 2012
Rossikk: Davidylan quote:

African Americans never claimed to have created America by themselves. You are the one trying to deny them agency in their role as co-creators of that nation.

What good are brains if there's no one to do the work? Go build a skyscraper or city with mere 'brains' and no workers and see how far you'll get. Ewu.

Loot at your dull brain. I already explained 'Haiti' on this thread. You ignored it only to regurgitate the same brain-dead question.

Oh.. so the 'brains' would have magically created a powerful nation from their offices using what? Cigars and pipes??

Did the blacks contribute or not? That is the question. If they did, then they have a stake in the country. One can easily 'play on words' and say the whites did nothing. All they did was kill off the Indians and force the blacks to work while they sat on their lazy fat asses doing nothing.

How many times has the Dominican Republic been invaded and dictators imposed by US marines in the last 50 years? I'll tell you. ZERO times. Haiti?
At least 4 times. The last invasion was to remove the popularly elected leader Aristide, to replace with a US stooge. See, if you weren't a clown, you'd realise that the US rarely (sorry, never) does such stuff in white nations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1916_United_States_occupation_of_the_Dominican_Republic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_United_States_occupation_of_the_Dominican_Republic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Trujillo
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by nigeriasshame: 12:01pm On Jan 31, 2013
oyb: greece is also known as the cradle of civilisation nd today theya re an economic basketcase
spain was once a world power

this chest beating over the past sadly comes off as some sort of bid to defend the failures of the present

sort of like a old gateman bragging to his kids about how he was always coming first in primary one

That's bullshit. The fact is Western history tries to cancel out African achievements of the past. The kids are taught that Africa did nothing in the past and Africans only feature in history as slaves. Part of making people believe they had a non-existent past, stops them from understanding that a lot or patterns of behaviours you see today have been socially engineered by Westerners.

Knowing the past helps the young and old realize their full potential. Lots of this self hate which is born from misinforming people about their past is the reason successful Americans and other Blacks from the West Indies would never think of going to develop or invest in the African continent.

It is people like you with your attitude that helps other people enforce their version of the African past onto our own people.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Dede1(m): 3:23pm On Jan 31, 2013
This original post is an example of delusional madness that had afflicted the poster. Africa and Africans had invented absolutely nothing worthy of mention in the progression of mankind as we know it today. Every group of human had its style of speaking and writing. So one wonders what speech and writing Africans invented. Maybe, they invented Chinese method of speaking and writing.

I do know my grandfather perfected the act of certain traditional medicine which few of them were passed onto me. It is very hard for me to remotely suggest my forbearers invented medicine. Besides, the acts of cure are unique to individual group of people.

In architectural display, different people have different ways of erecting structures for shelter. Some people even caved shelters in rocks and dug hole on the ground. It is funny to read that a drunken rascal from Africa have arrogated act of building structures to Africa.

I shall not get into the idea of addition and subtraction which are benchmark for mathematics because every shade of human was endowed with the idea of summation. It is laughable to read Africans invented everything from mining of minerals, Iron Smithing, Laws, trade, philosophy to art.

At juncture where religion was introduced as one of the African inventions, I stopped and concluded the poster is under the influence of cheap form of grass. There is one adage that states “water flows to the channel it is once selected”. One wonders why the water has not flowed to Africa, the once selected channel since ages.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Neuen: 3:45pm On Jan 31, 2013
Worlds first heart transplant
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Dibiachukwu: 4:10pm On Jan 31, 2013
Rossikk: ^^^ It's obvious you have a very low IQ to insist that listing African historical accomplishments (which you ignorantly and stupidly label ''dubious'' despite the fulsome evidence supplied), somehow implies an unwillingness to face the present or future. I would understand your 'point' if the entire Nairaland forum was filled with history threads. But it isn't. So what you really ARE saying, is Africans should IGNORE and NOT DISCUSS their history AT ALL.

The question is: WHY NOT?

I tend to think it's your inferiority complex that makes this topic so deeply unsettling to you and your ilk. Your mind is programmed to see Africans as non-achievers, and these facts from history directly fly in the face of your brainwashed, self-loathing state, hence your instinctive opposition. You have my sympathies. What I'd advise is this: If this topic is not to your taste, or you reckon you cannot handle it, you know where the door is.

Sometimes you present a very intelligent person, other times you are complete m.oron. On this instance, you are right. Africans are being washed to hate themselves. How can the pot be greater than the potter. We were and still are the greatest beings to walk the earth.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Dibiachukwu: 4:20pm On Jan 31, 2013
ekt_bear: The internet was invented by DARPA. Who built ARPANET (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET).

Who is this British guy who came up with the "idea?" Look, likely lots of people had the vague idea of computers communicating. But it is one thing to come up with a vague idea, another to come up with concrete technologies. E.g., TCP/IP.

More to the point, if you believe that the idea was invented by a British dude (a European), then clearly you have contradicted your earlier post in which you seemed amused by the idea of the internet being invented by Europeans...
My friend, if you are intelligent, you would know that no body really invented the internet. Being the first to construct a crude network like Arpanet, doesn't make you the inventor of INTERNET. You can only really say that americans pioneered the internet. Many technologies are used for the internet and some of the most important were invented by our own. We just don't like bragging.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Dibiachukwu: 4:40pm On Jan 31, 2013
davidylan:

yeah the USA was built by african/slave labor but do we also credit the ox or donkey for being the one who is responsible for a bountiful harvest? Blacks in the US take credit for something that really isnt theirs... the whites concieved of the mordern day american society, designed it and then used the black man as free labor to achieve his goals. its a shame that you consider this a thing to be proud of. the same blacks went to Haiti and have turned it into a complete disgrace.

Oh and with respect to Haiti, are we back to blaming Europeans for the failure of blacks to build a society?
Men you are very stupid. It is one thing to acknowledge that it is true, it is another thing to blame. Saying that a small nation like haiti should not blame bigger and more miltary states like usa, france and britain, for sabotaging it. Even when you can see it with your naked eye. You are a coward that is afraid to stand by truth.
Re: 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World by Dibiachukwu: 4:49pm On Jan 31, 2013
Rossikk:

Don't mind these worthless, self-hating slaves.

If I started a thread praising ancient Roman ingenuity, you'd be shocked how they'd all suddenly love history and contribute fulsomely to the thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Used Fake Rolls Royce Ghost Hearse For Mum's Burial / Nnamdi Kanu: Why I Jumped Bail, Escaped From Nigeria / Reno Omokri: Biafrans Built This Armoured Car During The Civil War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.