Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,555 members, 7,819,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 (11064 Views)

Going To The West To Beg As Victims Can't Solve Our Problems - Okonji-Iweala / This Biafra Is For Igbos Who See Themselves As Victims- Godwin Amadi / Lagos Tanker Fire Blamed On LASTMA As Victims Count Losses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by Supergwin(m): 1:29pm On Jul 04, 2012
Tempers flared on Tuesday as some victims of Dana Air plane crash of June 3 in Iju-Isaga area of Lagos, rejected the N200,000 cheque offered each of them by the airline.

Although not all the victims were present at the Ayobo relief camp, the majority who turned up rejected the cheques on the grounds that the amount was ridiculous.

Officials of Dana had insisted that the money was not a compensation, but meant to ease the problem of accommodation of victims, whose apartments were destroyed.

A victim, Daniel Omowunmi, whose duplex, warehouse and vehicle were destroyed at the crash site, directed his anger at the airline officials, saying “this is a crooked move. It is rubbish.”

His own cheque was for the sum of N500, 000 because of the magnitude of his loss.

Omowunmi, a pastor, said, “The way you are doing this is crooked and unacceptable. For your information, I was living in a duplex before and I cannot get a duplex for N500, 000 in Lagos.

“So, what is the money you are offering me for? As I am talking to you, my aged mother is still in the hospital because of the incident. This is an insult to us.”

A lawyer, Mr. Gbenga Odetola, who said he was representing about 20 of the victims, declined the offer on behalf of his clients.

Odetola said the categorisation made, according to how the victims were affected, by the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, was not enough to take care of the problem.

He said, “We are questioning the parameters for the catergorisation. What of those victims whose properties were vandalised by street urchins and looters? The list of the victims is not exhaustive at all.

“Apart from that, we wrote Dana a letter, they did not reply. Instead, they decided to call my clients to come for cheques.”

But LASEMA General Manager, Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, whose agency coordinated the programme, said the categorisation was done by his office according to international standards.

He said it did not affect any legal step the victims might want to take.

Oke-Osanyintolu said, “LASEMA came into the issue because our concern was not just about disaster management but also rehabilitation of victims.

“This list is just the first step, focusing on the occupants of the building in the impact zone.”

The list LASEMA compiled after its assessment contained names under the categorisation; severely affected, moderately affected and mildly affected.

The airlines’ Head of Corporate Communication, Mr. Tony Usidame, said, “We are doing this to let the victims know that they are not alone at this critical time.

“When the time of compensation comes, we will duly take care of them. But right now, we are doing this as a first step towards easing the accommodation problems the victims are facing.

“We quite understand that many of them feel strongly about what we are giving them today. We understand and respect their choices.”

However, when the officials wanted to leave the camp, a drama ensued when a victim, Adebayo Bidemi, whose lawyer, Odetola, had earlier rejected the cheque on her behalf, ran after them to get her cheque.

Bidemi said the situation was not clearly explained to her before.

“Please I need my cheque. They did not explain all the details about the money to me before. I got my accommodation through my own sweat. I think I have the right to change my mind,” she said.

Some of the victims, who collected the cheques, Odika Daniel and Emeka Okafor, said they collected theirs because they were making arrangement for accommodation.

Both of them said they were living temporarily with friends but would be waiting for more compensation as they lost all their properties in the crash.
http://www.punchng.com/metro/tempers-flare-as-victims-reject-danas-n200000/
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 04, 2012
Indians and their mentality
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by nijanigga: 1:45pm On Jul 04, 2012
When people allow poverty to circle them that's what you see.When next time you have the chance to destroy all Nigerian oppressors you will not chicken in.
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jul 04, 2012
Someone needs to slam dana air with a billion dollar lawsuit. Maybe it will make those greedy execs seat up. 200 000 naira!! what will it do?
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by Rbaby1: 1:47pm On Jul 04, 2012
nijanigga: When people allow poverty to circle them that's what you see.When next time you have the chance to destroy all Nigerian oppressors you will not chicken in.

No be lie!!!!!!!!!
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by akereconfi: 1:47pm On Jul 04, 2012
DANA....bunch of EEEEEdioTTTTs

1 Like

Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jul 04, 2012
The airlines’ Head of Corporate Communication, Mr. Tony Usidame must be doing a lot of work at the moment, I guess he should begin to look for another work and exclude Dana crisis from his CV to move on. I bet this is the demise of the Dana Empire! In fact, while he thinks it is a PR job to be the last man standing, in this case, Nigerians ordinarily would assume that all employees of the company are negligient and culpable in this disaster.

1 Like

Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jul 04, 2012
akereconfi: DANA....bunch of EEEEEdioTTTTs
No.. Nigerians bunch of idiots....
AShawo no dey get respect...
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by miteolu(m): 1:49pm On Jul 04, 2012
Are we crazy?
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 04, 2012
Iamvictor: Get free from financia burden today act fast to save your self from poverty make money online today goto www. /Rb3xWR to learn how to make 150,00 naira online monthly tested and trusted Get free from financia burden today act fast to save your self from poverty make money online today goto www. /Rb3xWR to learn how to make 150,00 naira online monthly tested and trusted Get free from financia burden today act fast to save your self from poverty make money online today goto www./Rb3xWR to learn how to make 150,00 naira online monthly tested and trusted
How rich are you ?

1 Like

Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by 9jvirgin(m): 1:58pm On Jul 04, 2012
Doom Looms.................I cant blame the woman that ran after her 200k cheque, law suit in Nigeria can take 20 years and end nowhere; Doom Looms. Where is Pastor Tunde Bakare? Where is Femi Falana? Where is Olisa Agbakoba? I expect these people to help at this time.............Doom Looms
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by Afam4eva(m): 1:58pm On Jul 04, 2012
This DANA people get mind sha. 200K? Chei, Nigerians don suffer.
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by greall1: 2:19pm On Jul 04, 2012
I don't blame india. Before sign out to give 200,000 naira
Nigeria working with them would be in support to give 200k.

2 Likes

Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by hardeydarpor: 2:20pm On Jul 04, 2012
Imagine I collect my pension and buijd house n buy car n out of nowhere plane crash my properties n u giv me 200k to do wat. Maybe to buy food stock
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by ebamma(m): 2:22pm On Jul 04, 2012
dana air=crook and wicked
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by kaiter: 2:31pm On Jul 04, 2012
I guess he should begin to look for another work and exclude Dana crisis from his CV to move on. I bet this is the demise of the Dana Empire! [img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by chumafresh(m): 2:38pm On Jul 04, 2012
greall1: I don't blame india. Before sign out to give 200,000 naira
Nigeria working with them would be in support to give 200k.
Guy yøû get sense..Na d nigerians wey dey work 4 dana go suggest †ђªt kind thing
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by nasty45(m): 3:01pm On Jul 04, 2012
IN FOUR WORD-GOD PUNISH DANA AIR
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by okeyxyz(m): 3:18pm On Jul 04, 2012
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 04, 2012
That's way too low. From Dana's reaction to this issue. It seems what they are saying is "we are NOT COMPENSATING U cos WE HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG, what we are OFFERING U is a GESTURE OF GOODWILL". Case closed.

1 Like

Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by BeraBera(f): 3:57pm On Jul 04, 2012
I'd like 2 appeal to d victims whose properties were destroyed to pls exercise a little more patience since DANA is insisting that this is not a COMPENSATION but an alleviation to accommodation problems caused by d crash. As d Head Corporate Communication Mr. Tony Usidame said, "When d time of compensation comes", let us give them d benefitbof doubt and see what they'll do.
But my question to DANA is "when will the 'time of compensation' come?". Secondly, I advise them to strictly adhere to international standards in d compensation proper.
As 4 Madam Bidemi, Abeg u sharp joor! They say "a bird @ hand is worth more than a million in d air" Abeg no carry last o!
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 04, 2012
okeyxyz: Why do they keep saying victims! victims!! victims!!!
the victims are all dead, don't they mean families of the victims??
Are you all right? Where did the plane crash? In the lagoon or on people and their properties? Must they be dead before they are recognized as victims of the incident? I tire for you sha.
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by VellyG(m): 4:58pm On Jul 04, 2012
stereo:
Are you all right? Where did the plane crash? In the lagoon or on people and their properties? Must they be dead before they are recognized as victims of the incident? I tire for you sha.
I beg help me ask am..I too know naim D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ worry am
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by jumobi1(m): 6:01pm On Jul 04, 2012
Isn't the airline insured Idk but they must pay up!!!!
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by waja(m): 6:10pm On Jul 04, 2012
hardeydarpor: Imagine I collect my pension and buijd house n buy car n out of nowhere plane crash my properties n u giv me 200k to do wat. Maybe to buy food stock
. It's temporal and not permanent. Something will be done soonest.
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by Kgdavid(m): 6:21pm On Jul 04, 2012
sure this is nigeria and we know how stuff works but everyone seems to be merely taking a look at the title and then posting...the article clearly quotes dana officials stating that this is NOT compensation and that there WILL BE compensation coming soon...whether or not this is a gimmick thats wat they are saying and thus the posts on here are off point
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by Tee197: 6:40pm On Jul 04, 2012
[quote author=saxywale]That's way too low. From Dana's reaction to this issue. It seems what they are saying is "we are NOT COMPENSATING U cos WE HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG, what we are OFFERING U is a GESTURE OF GOODWILL". Case closed.

Eacxtly d point.... U get sence jor....
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by ask4double(m): 7:19pm On Jul 04, 2012
Hmmmm indians and 9ja, They always get away with anything. Doubt if this is gonna be different.
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by kholis(m): 7:52pm On Jul 04, 2012
My country is finished. I bet that it is Nigerians in Dana Air that came up with such outrageous plan, telling the Indians that it would work. I remember an Indian company I worked for at VI, Lagos sometime ago. Then the company came in newly into the country but had Nigerian Board of Directors. When the Indians came up with a salary package of #150,000 for us the employees, our Nigerian Board(our own parents)kicked against it. They told the Indians that such amount was certainly too much for us and called for a slash. Another appointment letter which read #55,000 came to disqualify the earlier one. We were informed that many graduates were roaming the street and would gladly take the job for even #30,000. WE ARE OUR OWN PROBLEMS
Re: Tempers Flare As Victims Reject Dana's N200,000 by dabigwalls: 7:54pm On Jul 04, 2012
[color=#006600][/color] Bidemi Bidemi...typical Nigerian, carry race pursue her 200K wey she fit no get for account before crash! And lawyer sef go de find im cut after! Sharp girl, nothing for lawyer. But Dana says it is not the windfall compensation that it is a measure to help.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zamfara: We Are Ready To Challenge Some Positions - APC / We Will Reexamine The Budget – Dogara / All Officers Due For Retirement Must Proceed – Police Service Commission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.