Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,790 members, 7,817,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji (88121 Views)

Checkout Photos Of GEJ Branded Phones By Orji Uzor Kalu's SLOK Mobile / Pictures From Inside Aso Rock (2014-2015) / Remembering Today In History: The Day Abacha Seized Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Tpezy: 1:53pm On Jun 09, 2018
pazienza:
What caught my attention in the story was the size of Abacha's home,what a suprise.
na family house
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by PeaceGord: 2:05pm On Jun 09, 2018
GenBuhari:
[size=18pt]"The Abacha family house on Gidado street, GRA, Kano is a modest twin duplex located in a rather small compound. "[/size]

We can see if his main family house was modest, Obasanjo and the his cronies were deceiving us about Abacha looting.

I maintain he never looted, Buhari also said the same.

This guy can lie.

I received the news with joy together with my dad on the 4pm network news.

It's wrong to say that no official news of the death came till 5pm!
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by danolorunmo(m): 3:17pm On Jun 09, 2018
yuzedo:

True talk! His style of writing is very unengaging. The story sells solely on the merit of the tale not in the telling. You can also sense that the man is holding back a lot! He doesn't want to step on toes, regardless of whether they are "out of power" or not. . .
Still, visualizing the events of that day evokes a whole lot of emotions. Quite graphic i tellya! Hmmmmm. . . Grace to grass.

With all due respect sir, I think the only reason we are able to decode such powerful emotional indicators and phrases from the above story is actually because the author did an amazing job! I don't know about you but it's as if I was there live! From the vivid description of the state of aso rock, to how Abacha's wife wept, even to the diverese feelings and opinions that came with the general's death.
In my humble opinion, the writer did a good job!

2 Likes

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by azpekuliar: 4:43pm On Jun 09, 2018
boringnigerian:
You know, I've always wanted to know why people thought Abacha was a bad person. I was still pretty young at the time of his death and I remember walking home from school when the news broke in my area that he was dead. I do sometimes ask - why did the public think he was a bad person? Did he institute anti-people policies? Did he engage in some sort of genocide or encourage xenophobia? Did he leave the country worse than he met it? The questions are endless because I remember slot people said Abacha was a bad man but never said what their reason was for calling him that. Also, I have heard that Abacha was a bad man a lot....but rarely heard that he was a bad leader.

I would really like to read more detailed accounts of what he was as a person and what his administration was like

This link to an article dated October 1, 1997 should give you an insight into what he represented.

http://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6a8314.html
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by boringnigerian: 6:07pm On Jun 09, 2018
azpekuliar:

This link to an article dated October 1, 1997 should give you an insight into what he represented.

http://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6a8314.html

Interesting read. It appears most of his failings were human rights violations and wanting to perpetuate himself in power. To be fair, asides a few executions listed, Abacha doesn't seem to have been worse than most of our politicians today - in a fair few cases, even better. It seems those who bore the brunt of his human rights abuses were political opponents and human rights activists unlike today were all these people are suffering and ordinary citizens are suffering too.

1 Like

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by thoth: 5:15pm On Jun 13, 2018
I think in this day and age, in the light of what just happened to Gaddafi I won't stress myself on informing a fellow Blackman whom hasn't learnt his lessons on imperialism.
poseidon12:

That he owned a modest house does not absolve him of allegations of embezzling billions of public funds. After his death, I watched a program on tv where the US Senate were drilling some Citibank executives who opened and operated Private Banking account for two of Abacha's sons. $650 million was lodged in that account by Abacha and his two sons. It was a secret account. I think those executives lost their jobs. I don't recollect if they were prosecuted. The accounts were closed and I believe the US government stopped US banks from operating such secret accounts.
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by thoth: 5:19pm On Jun 13, 2018
SmartPolician:

What effect does an Abacha who died in 1998 have on your life?

The worst illiterate is the political illiterate, he doesn’t hear, doesn’t speak, nor participates in the political events. He doesn’t know the cost of life, the price of the bean, of the fish, of the flour, of the rent, of the shoes and of the medicine, all depends on political decisions. The political illiterate is so stupid that he is proud and swells his chest saying that he hates politics. The slowpoke doesn’t know that, from his political ignorance is born the prostitute, the abandoned child, and the worst thieves of all, the bad politician, corrupted and flunky of the national and multinational companies. - Bertolt Brecht

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by thoth: 7:14am On Jun 28, 2018
graychuks:
Why is it that I read the article but couldn't even read yours...??
Because you were there to read the article not my post i guess.
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 3:22am On Nov 03, 2019
If Abacha hadn't been poisoned perhaps Nigeria may be approaching the level that China is today.
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 2:31am On May 28, 2020
GenBuhari:
SEN.BAGUDU ABUBAKAR ATIKU

Senator, 7th National Assembly (2011-2015)

Date of Birth: 1961-12-28
Marital Status: Married
Political Party: Peoples Democratic Party
State: Kebbi
Senatorial District: Kebbi Central
Date of Assumption: 2011-05-29
Seat Up Date: 2015-05-29
senatecontact@nass.gov.ng
Share Education:
BSc (Economics), Msc (Economics),
M.A. (International Affairs)

Awards & Honours:

Previous Elected Office:

Legistlative Experience:

http://www.nassnig.org/nass/portfolio/profile.php?id=sen.abubakarbagudu

You edited this post...

Btw do you still support Buhari?
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 7:49am On May 28, 2020
henrybangs44:
very interesting story... is it a film
No Sir, it's not a movie; it's a part of your country's history

1 Like

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 8:12am On May 28, 2020
Plead:

You edited this post...

Btw do you still support Buhari?
Why do say I edited it?
edited how?
what are you implying?
I support Buhari, I doubt he is truly still in power today. I cant see him imposing such wickedness on us via these lockdowns.
If he is truly in power today I cannot support him today.
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 12:11pm On Aug 24, 2020
GenBuhari:
No Sir, it's not a movie; it's a part of your country's history

what about your country
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by GeneralMarshall: 6:09pm On Aug 24, 2020
Oritsewhandey:

...........................................................................................

Before Arafat left for Nigeria, enrouye to Nigeria, he worn a gloves. Anthrax works better with gloves.
He arrived Nigeria, with no gloves on. He shook Abacha. Spent less than 2hrs. Left for Morocco. The ANTHRAX penetrated through Abacha''s palm pores.

Anthrax, often made potent due to Cynide content. Reasons Abacha was swollen and foaming from mouth before they landed in Kano.

Anthrax attack, usually used by CIA, MOSSED, ISF. ...

His death, pointed at IBB and undeniably at OBJ.

QED.

Wrong... Arafat didn't kill Abacha. You need to tell us the real killer.
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by GeneralMarshall: 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2020
bikefab:
Arafat killed Abacha in conspiracy with the west. This piece accentuates the gap between suddeness and preparedness. The Abacha family never prepared for what befell them.

Wrong speculation bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

South Africans React To Ghana Closing Nigerian Shops (TWEETS) / Massive Crowd Inflow At PDP Lagos Rally [photos] / David Mark's Look When Amaechi Said He's Never Taken Bribe Before. (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.