Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,596 members, 7,958,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 04:29 AM

Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP (5294 Views)

Nigeria Has Failed Us....is The Time Not Ripe For Us To Try New Things? / Nyako Vows To Sue Jonathan Over Funding For State Of Emergency / Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police, IGP Insists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Agimor(m): 7:28am On Jul 06, 2012
KADUNA — Against the backdrop of calls by some states governors for the establishment of State Police Force to complement the present Nigeria Police Force,NPF, Acting Inspector General of Police, IGP, Mohammed Abubakar, yesterday, in Kaduna kicked against it, saying Nigeria was not ripe for it.

The IGP, who spoke at the Kaduna State Police Command Headquarters, after paying a courtesy visit to Governor Patrick Yakowa before holding a town hall meeting with some community leaders in the state said he was repositioning the Police to be modern and people-friendly.

According to him, “the position of the Nigeria police before now on the issue of state Police has not changed. Nigeria is not ripe enough for a state police, period! Look at what is happening in Kaduna State now. If this magnitude of crisis was left to a state police, how would it curtail it?”

Speaking earlier at Kaduna State Government House, Kaduna while visiting Gov. Yakowa, the IGP said: “The problem with Nigeria is that the rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer. That kind of relationship is not good for anyone, especially the rich. The poverty level is widening. The implication is that as the poor keep getting poorer, the security of the rich is put at risk. That means that you are not secured when you drive your expensive car. You cannot sleep in peace in your mansion, when there are so many poor, hungry and angry people out there. Any society that does not guarantee food for its poor, the poor will not guarantee sleep for its rich.

“I want to call on government to do something about the endemic poverty in the country, especially employment for our teeming youths. It is an issue of serious security concern. And I believe that Governor Patrick Yakowa is already working on that.”

In response, Yakowa hailed the reform measure the Acting IGP was putting in place, and thanked him for the cooperation and assistance the Police had been rendering in Kaduna State since the crisis of April, 2011.

“I am aware of plans by the police to deploy more hands to some of our flash points in Kaduna. I want to pledge our continuous support to the police in the areas of logistics.”

At the Kaduna State Police Command, the IGP held a town hall meeting with some religious and community leaders where he exhorted them on good-neighbourliness, raising children to show respect to the laws of the land and on community policing.

He then took the Press to see some recently captured arms in Kaduna.

These include 6 Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), 5 AK47 riffles, 14 dane guns, two locally made pistols, bullets, four riffle magazines, 50 specially made machetes and some bows and arrows.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/nigeria-not-ripe-for-state-police-igp-insists/
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Abayomin70(m): 9:30am On Jul 06, 2012
rubbish talk
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by brightmon: 10:04am On Jul 06, 2012
Abayomin70: rubbish talk
No, i think he has a point. It will be abused cos as he said, 9ja is not ripe 4 it yet.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Afam4eva(m): 10:12am On Jul 06, 2012
Rubbish talk. If Nigeria is not ripe enough for state police then it's not ripe enough for having states or local governments.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Lenny5000(m): 10:13am On Jul 06, 2012
He speaks the Truth! Rich getting richer poor getting poorer so how can the Rich find peace in such settings? With more employments crime will reduce drastically and no one will even be thinking of State police...Again in the present day Nigeria most of the governors will abuse it, the State police will be their personal tools to intimidate opposition or perceived enemies. Bless.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by brightmon: 10:26am On Jul 06, 2012
afam4eva: Rubbish talk. If Nigeria is not ripe enough for state police then it's not ripe enough for having states or local governments.
we were not even ripe for independence as at 1960, thats why we in this mess.
It will be abused, period.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Afam4eva(m): 10:30am On Jul 06, 2012
brightmon:
we were not even ripe for independence as at 1960, thats why we in this mess.
It will be abused, period.
Is abuse limited to states. is the police and other government apparatus not being abused by the FG? If we're a federation then we have to start acting like one.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Demdem(m): 10:31am On Jul 06, 2012
i disagree with the IG. State police has its disadvantages but i believe it will lead to better policing than we have at present.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 06, 2012
I used to clamor for State Police, but mere reading people's mind on Nairaland, I conclude, State Police is a bad idea but its a necessary evil. Bad idea because poliitical office holders will use it to kill their extreme opponents, and its a good idea because, politicians using it to kill each other will reduce their number and weed the system of the dogs called politicians. I say we need state police, hoping its time to weed the Facrooks from the system.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Reference(m): 10:34am On Jul 06, 2012
We are so over ripe we're going rotten. What's he afraid of. We can have a Federal Police force like the FBI, a state police force and the Sheriffs office for cities or local councils. You can have unified laws but you cannot have unified law enforcement in such a multicultural society as Nigeria. It simply doesn't work.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by hassymo5(m): 10:35am On Jul 06, 2012
yes we are ripe, he just want to seat in abuja and direct the whole police sytem from abuja, thats why crises will continue to erupt, Governors dont have power over security challenges of his state, so annoying

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by ZUBY77(m): 10:37am On Jul 06, 2012
Crap. When are we going to be ripe?
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Reference(m): 10:40am On Jul 06, 2012
Billyonaire: I used to clamor for State Police, but mere reading people's mind on Nairaland, I conclude, State Police is a bad idea but its a necessary evil. Bad idea because poliitical office holders will use it to kill their extreme opponents, and its a good idea because, politicians using it to kill each other will reduce their number and weed the system of the dogs called politicians. I say we need state police, hoping its time to weed the Facrooks from the system.

Crime is crime anywhere. If the politician kills and you can't get redress you take the case to the next level just like the judiciary.

The FBI has offices in every US territory but operates independently. As a matter of fact with both local and federal police, you have checks and balances.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Pataki: 10:47am On Jul 06, 2012
State Police is totally a bad idea. Not at this point in time. We have a long way to go towards achieving State Police. And most unfortunately, we are not yet on the path towards getting it right in this nation.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 06, 2012
Reference:

Crime is crime anywhere. If the politician kills and you can't get redress you take the case to the next level just like the judiciary.

The FBI has offices in every US territory but operates independently. As a matter of fact with both local and federal police, you have checks and balances.
So what do you say ? You support State Police ?
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Youhesh(m): 11:17am On Jul 06, 2012
hassymo5: yes we are ripe, he just want to seat in abuja and direct the whole police sytem from abuja, thats why crises will continue to erupt, Governors dont have power over security challenges of his state, so annoying
If you clamor for state police, then think again. Think about the TIMARIV of Rivers state, the LASMA of Lagos state, the OPC of the west, the Bakassi boys of the East and the Arewa youths of the North raised to the powers of two. Nigeria is divided against tribal and religious lines, thus the adoption of state police will most likely serve as a tool of intimidation and oppression against other tribes in the states. People should not make the mistake of comparing the USA with Nigeria in this regard. The US is about ten times the land area of Nigeria and such, state police is necessary, not to talk about the inherent tribalism which is found entrenched in the hearts and minds of Nigeria. If that problem of tribalism can be removed in Nigeria (which seems very much unlikely), then we might be ripe for a state police. I think that is what the IG is refering to.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Dee60: 11:23am On Jul 06, 2012
What is Nigeria ripe for? Pepper soup or Boko Haram? These men talk like spent forces that have no capability to generate any new idea!
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Biggyd2: 11:24am On Jul 06, 2012
I agree that it has advantages but so long as we are still under the syndrome that winning for some " is a do or die affair," it will be thoroughly abused.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by jmaine: 11:27am On Jul 06, 2012
I liken the clamour for state policing to the call for nuclear energy as a cheap source of power generation and supply . . .

They all have a common denominator which are :-

1) Great initiative that has worked successfully else where . . .

2)Evidence point to the fact that we will benefit immensely from it if properly harnessed and implemented

3)Though 1 & 2 above are true . . . .employing them in Nigeria now is disaster waiting to happen, cos the average psych of the Nigerian man is laced with corruption and the tendency to abuse with impunity the tools he has some level of control over . . .

If state police is implemented as we speak now . .forget opposition politics at the State level . . .we will have government hit squads adorning legitimate tags from the Governors as security men . . .

I support the acting IG stance that we aint ready for state policing yet until our value system is rejigged politically and otherwise to acceptable standards worldwide . . .

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by oiseworld: 11:29am On Jul 06, 2012
its all about funding, who will fund the state police? Fear that they may not be able to finanace the day to day runing of the police will definantely not make the governors and the house to encourage state policing.

And whats wrong with the present system of policing, the back to state method.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by edicolove: 11:40am On Jul 06, 2012
State police in Nigeria=Legalised militia and will lead to the birth of 36 "Boko Aram like" groups.

Boko Aram, Bakassi are examples of outfits that started "like" state police. See how the former Borno governor used BH to his political advantage. That and more is how governors will use state police.

The only good that will come out of state police is that it will lead to the disintegration of Nigeria. It will start with serious fights and gun battles between the federal police and state police outfits. Have you seen how the police and army fight each other? The last time it happened in Surulere, it was war.

Nigeria is not ripe for state police. We should not have gotten independence in 1960. We should have gotten independence in 1990 or even 95. We would have been like SA now.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by otokx(m): 11:43am On Jul 06, 2012
IGP is right
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by gegee(m): 11:48am On Jul 06, 2012
Lenny5000: He speaks the Truth! Rich getting richer poor getting poorer so how can the Rich find peace in such settings? With more employments crime will reduce drastically and no one will even be thinking of State police...Again in the present day Nigeria most of the governors will abuse it, the State police will be their personal tools to intimidate opposition or perceived enemies. Bless.

exactly
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by ebamma(m): 12:14pm On Jul 06, 2012
if nigeria is not ripe enough for state police,then that means the nigeria police force too is not ripe to collect bribe.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by stolenstone: 12:22pm On Jul 06, 2012
abeg make dem start d thing joor! it will create more jobs! undecidedabeg make dem start d thing joor! it will create more jobs!
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by isaco(m): 1:44pm On Jul 06, 2012
Nothin bad about state police. There is nothin dat has advantages dat doesnt hav disadvantages. Our federal govt is too powerful and they are useless. Look at federal roads, thanks to some Governors. If state can handle traffic outfit e.g. LASMA then wat else. If you want to kno, most of d police patrol vehicles we see around are donated by the state govt. State govt build police station or post. In lagos you see RRS, finances buy Lagos govt. Ok, Developed country practices it, why can't we do same. When are we goin to be ripe? It ll also generate employment. It brings security closer to people. Just one or two disadvantages should not make us to be behind in wat is being practiced in d developed country.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by StarrMatthieu: 4:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
Sounds good
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Bontee: 5:36pm On Jul 06, 2012
There is sense in what he has said but he should do everything to resolve the setbacks and lets have state and local police with adequate Independence between local governments and state governments.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by ypzilanti: 5:59pm On Jul 06, 2012
brightmon:
No, i think he has a point. It will be abused cos as he said, 9ja is not ripe 4 it yet.

My brother, Nigeria is over ripe for state police. What is needed is a fool proof system to check abuse by the governors and an ability for state police to request back up in extreme cases. [/b]Also a system to overide state police powers if the need arises. [b]We should stop this lazy approach. No one is more interested in securing their environment than the inhabitants of the place. This is why even though state police is banned, various forms of vigilante and community security groups always spring up. What is needed is a way to train these people and monitor them so they are not subject to abuse of power. Examples already abound all over the world.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 06, 2012
I guess Nigeria is only ripe for brazen bribery and mind boggling corruption.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by brightmon: 6:12pm On Jul 06, 2012
ypzilanti:

My brother, Nigeria is over ripe for state police. What is needed is a fool proof system to check abuse by the governors and an ability for state police to request back up in extreme cases. [/b]Also a system to overide state police powers if the need arises. [b]We should stop this lazy approach. No one is more interested in securing their environment than the inhabitants of the place. This is why even though state police is banned, various forms of vigilante and community security groups always spring up. What is needed is a way to train these people and monitor them so they are not subject to abuse of power. Examples already abound all over the world.
good point. But in 9ja nothing ever works right, not till when we can fight corruption, i say no to state police.
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe Enough For State Police - IGP by NovusHomo(m): 7:04pm On Jul 06, 2012
I have just now realized that this Inspector-General "is not ripe enough" for the Nigerian Police. Does he know anything about policing in the US? Practically every major city has its own police department. And, as to a State /City being overwhelmed, the Americans have the National Guard (a quasi military force exclusively for the preservation of internal order) With all the estacode payment, you would think this IG will know, or at least find out. On the other hand, I like his activist take on the widening gap between the rich and the poor. Is that his call as an appointee of the government? That is another matter.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Reasons Why Igbos And Yorubas Should Not Marry / 2019: Oyegun Has Done A Good Job With APC – South-south Leaders / Abba Kyari, Aliyu Umar And Walter Onnoghen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.