Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,692 members, 7,809,613 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA (1157 Views)

Nigerians React To Amaechi's Appointment As Transport Minister (Pix) / FG Gazette Raises Questions Over Ali’s Appointment As Customs’ Comptroller-gen. / Photos Of Shekarau's Triumphant Entry To Kano After His Appointment As The Hon. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Gbawe2: 2:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathans-wife-appointment-as-perm-sec-shocking-nba/

Jonathan’s wife appointment as perm sec shocking – NBA

JULY 13, 2012 BY SUCCESS NWOGU AND MIKE ODIEGWU 306 COMMENTS

Chairman, Nigerian Bar Association, Ilorin branch, Mr. Rafiu Balogun, and leader of Committee of Muslim Organisations, Kwara State, Prof. Shehu Jimoh, on Thursday in Ilorin, described the appointment of the wife of the President, Dame Patience Jonathan as one of the 17 new Permanent Secretaries in Bayelsa State civil service as surprising and shocking.

Balogun, in an interview with our correspondent on Thursday said the appointment was surprising and puzzling.

He said the President’s wife could not have merited the appointment as the office of permanent secretary was not a political appointment but career based.

He also alleged that such an appointment indicated that the Presidency was condoning corruption.

“I was flabbergasted and puzzled when I heard it. I do not know what this country is turning to if that is the truth. I do not know what could have informed that decision, for the First Lady now to become a permanent secretary. How did they come about it? It is so incongruous and quite uncalled for. It is ridiculous.

“She could not have attained that position. She will be there doing nothing, just being redundant. It is not a political office.”

Also Jimoh said the appointment was surprising. He said it was puzzling how the wife of Nigeria’s President become a permanent secretary.

Meanwhile, Investigations by our correspondent revealed that the appointment had unsettled the various ministries in the Bayelsa State as many employees in the civil service were shocked at the development.

The Congress for Progressive Change described the appointment as a huge, cynical joke, lamenting that the administration of Jonathan had been turned into a theatre of humour.
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by sheyguy: 2:53pm On Jul 13, 2012
Lol . . . . I wonder what she wants to do in that office in the first place. Seems somebody somewhere is trying to play cheap politics.
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by blacksta(m): 2:57pm On Jul 13, 2012
One day One scandal - When you think ,it cant get this low another scandal springs out
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Kobojunkie: 3:27pm On Jul 13, 2012
sheyguy: Lol . . . . I wonder what she wants to do in that office in the first place. Seems somebody somewhere is trying to play cheap politics.

She is to serve in absentia, meaning she is to do absolutely nothing, since the job of permanent secretary usually requires the candidate be local to the office.

I know some slowpoke might come here to try to tell us that she intends to do the job via skype.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Gbawe2: 3:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
sheyguy: Lol . . . . I wonder what she wants to do in that office in the first place. Seems somebody somewhere is trying to play cheap politics.

My brother, these crude people are trying to create a Power dynasty via gross abuse of power even OBJ may have balked at. When mediocrity is placed far above its station then expect said mediocrity to attempt replicating the crudeness that made him the beneficiary of what he does not deserve. Of course GEJ's wife does not , by any stretch of the imagination, deserve this appointment but this is all part of an agenda to give her a 'CV' that may predispose her to becoming a Nigerian Hilary Clinton. GEJ is very easy to read and predict.

There is absolutely no need for this shameful desperation if not that, predictably and as usual , the dont-give-a-damn President has decided that the end justifies the means to the extent he does not care how ridiculously shameful this incredible act of stupidity and abuse of power must look to the entire world. Whatever next? GEJ's kids made Ministers in waiting ?
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by kunlekunle: 3:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
the position is demeaning as the first lady of the nation.
if she wishes to serve her state she should have requested for the post of commissioner for finance.

na oyel money
abeg chop remain.
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by blacksta(m): 3:47pm On Jul 13, 2012
As somebody earlier stated that The chain of command is as follows " Perm Sec reports to Commissioner who then reports to the Governor "
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by StarrMatthieu: 3:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 13, 2012

They probably need that designation to achieve something. I think there is part 2 of this movie yet to be released.
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Kobojunkie: 3:53pm On Jul 13, 2012
blacksta: As somebody earlier stated that The chain of command is as follows " Perm Sec reports to Commissioner who then reports to the Governor "

Not the only route. According to Congress, it is [b]obscure [/b]Government Worker -> deputy Governor -> Governor grin grin grin

http://foreignaffairs.house.gov/hearings/view/?1453
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Gbawe2: 3:54pm On Jul 13, 2012
blacksta: As somebody earlier stated that The chain of command is as follows " Perm Sec reports to Commissioner who then reports to the Governor "

Totally ludicrous. In fact, OBJ , one of the greatest enemy of a prosperous Nigeria and a hater of ordinary Nigerians IMO , should just have picked the 'eleran' at the corner of his road to be President because I doubt even an uneducated meat seller will do worse than what we are seeing now from this vacuous and disgraceful lot.
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Pukkah: 4:15pm On Jul 13, 2012
What really were these people thinking of when they came up of this nonsensical decision? Has the position of a Permanent Secretary now become like a Honourary doctorate or a political appointment like that of a Commissioner?

How come these people keep taking decisions that are embarrassing, ridiculous and illogical? What manner of people are these for God's sake?

I just pity this country.
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Kobojunkie: 4:20pm On Jul 13, 2012
Pukkah: What really were these people thinking of when they came up of this nonsensical decision? Has the position of a Permanent Secretary now become like a Honourary doctorate or a political appointment like that of a Commissioner?

How come these people keep taking decisions that are embarrassing, ridiculous and illogical? What manner of people are these for God's sake?

They do it because they have realized that Nigerians are all bark and not much else. cry cry cry cry
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 13, 2012
like gej dpj does not give a damn because like gej she can run things from anywhere in the world

end of story

Pukkah: What really were these people thinking of when they came up of this nonsensical decision? Has the position of a Permanent Secretary now become like a Honourary doctorate or a political appointment like that of a Commissioner?

they are the people who run or ran things in bayelsa. . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Pukkah: 4:40pm On Jul 13, 2012
oyb: like gej dpj does not give a damn because like gej she can run things from anywhere in the world

end of story

they are the people who run or ran things in bayelsa. . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

No wonder the rich state is still wallowing in under-development. embarassed Useless, thieving politicians!

Kobojunkie:

They do it because they have realized that Nigerians are all bark and not much else. cry cry cry cry

Sad but true. The thieves and marauders in the political arena have realized this and are using it to their maximum advantage.
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by antitpiah: 4:44pm On Jul 13, 2012
Gbawe.:

Totally ludicrous. In fact, OBJ , one of the greatest enemy of a prosperous Nigeria and a hater of ordinary Nigerians IMO , should just have picked the 'eleran' at the corner of his road to be President because I doubt even an uneducated meat seller will do worse than what we are seeing now from this vacuous and disgraceful lot.

Totally uncalled for. First off, what’s wrong with being a meat seller? What’s wrong with working hard at any honest job? When you act this arrogant and too stupidddd to know how to be civil in public, it is not that difficult to see why you and your folks are held in contempt. Just so you know, those 'elerans' you mentioned are some of the smartest and articulate people you will ever come across. Your so called western education, which as far as I know hasnt impacted common sense in you, is not a ticket to lash out and denigrate hard working people, irrespective of their station in life. You are a disgrace to the University of Sussex and I hope your mother is proud of the son he raised for the comment above.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Pukkah: 5:38pm On Jul 13, 2012
antitpiah:

Totally uncalled for. First off, what’s wrong with being a meat seller? What’s wrong with working hard at any honest job? When you act this arrogant and too stupidddd to know how to be civil in public, it is not that difficult to see why you and your folks are held in contempt. Just so you know, those 'elerans' you mentioned are some of the smartest and articulate people you will ever come across. Your so called western education, which as far as I know hasnt impacted common sense in you, is not a ticket to lash out and denigrate hard working people, irrespective of their station in life. You are a disgrace to the University of Sussex and I hope your mother is proud of the son he raised for the comment above.

Let's look at his point from a different angle. Yes, education or literacy is different from intelligence and it's not good to castigate a set of hardworking people. But really, does an uneducated but hardworking and intelligent meat seller stand any chance of becoming the country's President? Would he have the same level of exposure to deal with issues and take sound decisions? Education in a way equips and prepares an average person for challenges and updates him with the tools of decision making and systems.

In conclusion, all things being equal, it is expected that an educated person should perform better than a meat seller in decision making, not because the meat seller is less unintelligent or lazier but because education has given the tutored person a boost.

This is my understanding of the point which the poster quoted below made. For some reason, his post is even a compliment to the meat seller that he might do better or he won't do worse than what we are seeing, from supposedly educated people, in spite of his education disadvantage. The person that should be upset now is the man, who despite his long years of education, has been compared to the uneducated person.

Gbawe.:

Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 13, 2012
Pukkah:

Let's look at his point from a different angle. Yes, education or literacy is different from intelligence and it's not good to castigate a set of hardworking people. But really, does an uneducated but hardworking and intelligent meat seller stand any chance of becoming the country's President? Would he have the same level of exposure to deal with issues and take sound decisions? Education in a way equips and prepares an average person for challenges and updates him with the tools of decision making and systems.

In conclusion, all things being equal, it is expected that an educated person should perform better than a meat seller in decision making, not because the meat seller is less unintelligent or lazier but because education has given the tutored person a boost.

This is my understanding of the point which the poster quoted below made. For some reason, his post is even a compliment to the meat seller that he might do better or he won't do worse than what we are seeing, from supposedly educated people, in spite of his education disadvantage. The person that should be upset now is the man, who despite his long years of education, has been compared to the uneducated person.

warning - antitpiah is the ubertroll also known as fstranger fagamite etal -
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by antitpiah: 5:52pm On Jul 13, 2012
oyb:

warning - antitpiah is the ubertroll also known as fstranger fagamite etal -

He who wants to run should run, there is no point holding someone else from running their race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meFC77k3fWo
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by CeeK1(m): 5:55pm On Jul 13, 2012
Dont steal

Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by kunlekunle: 5:56pm On Jul 13, 2012
na who dey in charge be her problem.
she was probably sent out of aso rock.
efunsetan aniwura spirit dey worry her, abi na lady macbeth, less i forget, na jezbelic.
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Gbawe: 9:23pm On Jul 13, 2012
antitpiah:

A-zstranger, are you out of drugs to control your schizophrenia?
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by Gbawe: 9:28pm On Jul 13, 2012
Pukkah:

Indeed. Furthermore, Oga Pukkah, you really need to know how to spot the mad men on this forum , who have an obsession with stalking aimlessly, so you won't indulge their insanity. Only our resident lunatic will translate satire to be arrogance. My substantive point , obvious to all, is that an uneducated meat seller would probably have the decency and morality not to embarrass Nigeria as this so-called PHD holder is currently doing.
Re: Jonathan’s Wife Appointment As Perm Sec Shocking – NBA by tpia5: 10:08pm On Jul 13, 2012
you know what, her being there or not being there doesnt add or remove one kobo from me, so i have other things to do with my time jare.

na today nigerians dey do funny politics?

even in south africa the quickest way to a govt appointment is to bonk the powers that be.

how much more nigeria.

make we no ruffle feathers sha, because matter plenty oh.

however, LGAs should endeavour to educate as many of their indigenes as possible because its never good to have only one or two VIPs representing the whole town or region.

education for all by 4000 AD if that's at all feasible.

the rising illiteracy rate of grown azz rascals calling themselves nigerians (regardless if they actually are), is a more present problem.

(1) (Reply)

Asaba Massacre / Buhari Caught In Money Laundry, Returns 53 Suitecases Of Money To Nigeria / What Dose Nigeria Have In Common Wit Pakistan,congo & India,yet It Cant Be Good

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.