Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,498 members, 7,816,190 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. (8601 Views)

Saraki Could Face 14-year Jail Term, Ban From Public Office If Convicted / Ambode Leading Officers To Arrest Traffic Offenders In Ijora (Photos) / False Statement On Social Media: Senate Seeks For 2-Year-Jail Term For Offenders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 14, 2012
Abeg let PDP win lagos enough of ACN media noise. Substandard road construction everywhere.pple who steal our money don't go to jail. Is it the masses that made them, wil go? their motor impound. this guys want pple turn to sucide bombers, becos of frustration abi?
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:40pm On Jul 14, 2012
Smoking while driving will attract N20,000.00, failure to give way to traffic on the left at a roundabout N20,000.00, disobeying traffic control will be N20,000.00 violation of route by commercial vehicles will attract N20,000.00. Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger will attract N20,000: 00 or 3years imprisonment or both.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/3-year-jail-term-awaits-one-way-traffic-offenders-in-lagos/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter[/quote]

This has got to be the joke of the year. misplaced priority indeed. grin
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Paentera(m): 12:40pm On Jul 14, 2012
Which one is smoking while driving? Na wa for these our LASG headed by Fashola, a known smoker. Does smoking while driving impede the quality of driving? BTW, I don't even smoke, but believe that clause or part of the law is absurd.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:44pm On Jul 14, 2012
Thank god the courts are there. make i see any LASTMA person wey go come impound my car because i dey smoke while driving. This RBF high handedness don too much jare. angry

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 14, 2012
Makes alot of sense to me.BRF is really doing a good work continously.Eko o ni baje oh!
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by constantk: 12:57pm On Jul 14, 2012
Another Law made by mad men. Where in all this is traffic offence for VIPs, Governor or National Assembly members that do one way, blare siren and hit and run over other road users.

Has anyone of those idiots visisted Apapa and see the condition of the road. Sometime trailers will block the road and make it difficult for you to either get to the office or leave for home.

Put all amenities in place as see if anyone will break the rules. It is only in this crazy country ruled by made men that we pay tax and there is nothing to show for it.

Can't these idiots think of laws that will pay stipend to unemployed youth and make life bearable for the elderly. Which Police or Latma will arrest Agberos, OPC members doing one way. I am not here to justify driving one way it is indeed bad but repair the roads, take trailers off the road and stipulate that trailers and heavy trucks don't move till 10pm eVeryday

Dumb law. Imaging the speed of its passage. We shall overcome
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by CuteTj(m): 12:59pm On Jul 14, 2012
nakedall: This really show that Fashola is a failed Lawyer and a disgrace to the Law profession. how he became SAN? only God know how?

What is the minimum way to start with?
Are you educated at all? What has Fashola's law qualification and competence got to do with this law? Is it Fashola that is proposing this idea? And for your information, It is still on paper and it hasn't been signed into law by Fashola. If you live in Lagos, you will appreciate this bill. Do you know how many accidents, how many human beings have been killed, the loss of valuable time and resources driving against traffic (one way) has caused in Lagos? We Nigerians are so indisciplined & very lawless, that is why Nigeria is at the level it is. We need tough laws to check our excesses and to make us conform to rules and regulations. (pardon my harsh words but that is the reply that best fits the way you reasoned in this your post).
RICHIE BOI: Lagos State House of Assembly has passed a bill for a law to repeal and re-enact the road traffic law and to make provisions for road traffic and vehicle inspection in Lagos into law for Governor Babatunde Fashola’s assent.
The people responsible for this bill that hasn't even been passed into law is The Lagos House of Assembly as shown in the bolded text above and not Fashola

2 Likes

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by naptu2: 1:09pm On Jul 14, 2012
Soldiers, policemen, government officials and foreigners have been arrested for violating traffic laws in Lagos, so I wonder why some make it seem as if this is impossible.

I have seen the governor's motorcade on at least 6 occasions waiting at the traffic light. He usually moves around the state without sirens.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by honeric01(m): 1:10pm On Jul 14, 2012
redsun: War against indiscipline.Idaiagbon comes to mind when laws like this are initiated.People got to behave rationally in conformity,including them fcking law givers that expect the common man to obey the laws while they do otherwise.

Sorry but when did Idiagbon rule Nigeria?
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by PeterKbaba: 1:12pm On Jul 14, 2012
CuteTj:
Are you educated at all? What has Fashola's law qualification and competence got to do with this law? Is it Fashola that is proposing this idea? And for your information, It is still on paper and it hasn't been signed into law by Fashola. If you live in Lagos, you will appreciate this bill. Do you know how many accidents, how many human beings have been killed, the loss of valuable time and resources driving against traffic (one way) has caused in Lagos? We Nigerians are so indisciplined & very lawless, that is why Nigeria is at the level it is. We need tough laws to check our excesses and to make us conform to rules and regulations. (pardon my harsh words but that is the reply that best fits the way you reasoned in this your post). [/b] The people responsible for this bill that hasn't even been passed into law is The Lagos House of Assembly as shown in the bolded text above and not Fashola

Thank you Fashola for this great law... The people against this laws most either be from planet mass. Are they saying its ok to smoke weed while driving and kill innocent people, or its ok to drive without drivers license or its ok for and under age kids of 15 years old to drive cars on the road, or people driving should not take not of zebra cross lines, or a normal car root of moving straight and people can just turn the car and start driving backwards... If you say this laws are not ok, then you are nothing more than an animal.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 1:16pm On Jul 14, 2012
^^^what people are complaining of is not the law but the penalities. They are too extreme and can as always be subjected to abuse
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by CuteTj(m): 1:17pm On Jul 14, 2012
Paentera: Which one is smoking while driving? Na wa for these our LASG headed by Fashola, a known smoker. Does smoking while driving impede the quality of driving? BTW, I don't even smoke, but believe that clause or part of the law is absurd.
smoking in this sense is not only cigarette but includes indian hemp/marijuana e.t.c And it has been reported that, cigarette/indian hemp can trigger severe mental disturbance and it can affect performance. I guesr you haven't seen a motorist smoking indian hemp while driving because i have seen.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by moneyquest: 1:19pm On Jul 14, 2012
RICHIE BOI:

Smoking while driving will attract N20,000.00, failure to give way to traffic on the left at a roundabout N20,000.00, disobeying traffic control will be N20,000.00 violation of route by commercial vehicles will attract N20,000.00. Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger will attract N20,000: 00 or 3years imprisonment or both.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/3-year-jail-term-awaits-one-way-traffic-offenders-in-lagos/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

It is no joke, bro! You've got to know what the government priorities are, before you can brand them misplaced. Lagos state can never be a model city, worth of recognition, in the midst of chaos and total violation of traffic laws. Many Nigerians have lost their lives to reckless drivers, who most of the times, prefer to drive one way on top speed. By the way, all the penalties you quoted above, for offenders, are not different from what are obtainable in other decent cities of the world.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 1:20pm On Jul 14, 2012
When has weed become synonymous with tobacco. Thats like saying snuff is cocaine or heroine injected intravenously is the same as a vaccine
CuteTj: smoking in this sense is not only cigarette but includes indian hemp/marijuana e.t.c And it has been reported that, cigarette/indian hemp can trigger severe mental disturbance and it can affect performance. I guesr you haven't seen a motorist smoking indian hemp while driving because i have seen.

and for your info ciggerates have the same effect as coffee, they keep you alert
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by PeterKbaba: 1:20pm On Jul 14, 2012
O.D.B.:
^^^what people are complaining of is not the law but the penalities. They are too extreme and can as always be subjected to abuse

The penalty is to deter them from considering to even do it in the first place. If the panalty is 5000 naira, people will do all this with the hope that they can afford it.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 1:22pm On Jul 14, 2012
Penalty or revenue generation ?

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by PeterKbaba: 1:23pm On Jul 14, 2012
O.D.B.:
Penalty or revenue generation ?

Both. If you cant afford it, dont break the law
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by naptu2: 1:23pm On Jul 14, 2012
Smoking while driving ----in some places, it is illegal to take your hands off the steering wheel while driving except when changing gears (reaction time); in others, it is illegal to make a phone call while driving, even with a hands free kit (concentration).
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 14, 2012
O.D.B.:
thank God I have left that agbero city for good, i will soon put my late dad's properties for sale and finally relocate permanently to Abuja
If the property is in the Island, I am interested in awuf purchase. If na for mainland, just light matches and burn it.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 1:25pm On Jul 14, 2012
PeterKbaba:

Both. If you cant afford it, dont break the law

so now justice is for rent and for the rich only
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 14, 2012
CuteTj: smoking in this sense is not only cigarette but includes indian hemp/marijuana e.t.c And it has been reported that, cigarette/indian hemp can trigger severe mental disturbance and it can affect performance. I guesr you haven't seen a motorist smoking indian hemp while driving because i have seen.
Smoking is smoking....
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by CuteTj(m): 1:27pm On Jul 14, 2012
O.D.B.:
i understand their point but if it isn't harsh, trust Nigerians to always flout the rules because of our mentality. What we should be clamouring for is for the law to be applicable to The Governor, House of Assembly members, Police, Army, Navy, Banks, Government Officials e.t.c
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by igbsam(m): 1:27pm On Jul 14, 2012
Looking at the menace exhibited by some lagos drivers, am sure you would applaud these laws put in place to enforce traffic regulations. But, i quite do not agree with some of the laws and outrageous fines along with it. Haba! dis one is too much ke! How is smoking while driving an offence. Fashola needs to be enlighten o!
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by honeric01(m): 1:28pm On Jul 14, 2012
RICHIE BOI:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/3-year-jail-term-awaits-one-way-traffic-offenders-in-lagos/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Postpone your smoking till you get home, then you can smoke the whole house down, but when or while you are driving, DO NOT SMOKE.. It's an order (law) lol.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 1:29pm On Jul 14, 2012
in Europe, the laws are not argued or debated because the laws were made for the people and are accommodating. if you break it you must pat the price. hardly do they break the law because they made the law. here in Nigeria the leaders and law makers are distant from the true reality plaguing the average joe and don't seem to understand that our society is more conducive in producing criminals than having pple respect the law an become positively contributive to society
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 1:30pm On Jul 14, 2012
honeric01:

Postpone your smoking till you get home, then you can smoke the whole house down, but when or while you are driving, DO NOT SMOKE.. It's an order (law) lol.

why?
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by PeterKbaba: 1:31pm On Jul 14, 2012
O.D.B.:

so now justice is for rent and for the rich only

Pls i'm not trying to insult you, but have you ever been outside africa before. can you try doing all this over there. most we leave in this country like animals do (chickens)
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by CuteTj(m): 1:31pm On Jul 14, 2012
Billyonaire: Smoking is smoking....
this should be directed at O.D.B.
O.D.B.:
When has weed become synonymous with tobacco. Thats like saying snuff is cocaine or heroine injected intravenously is the same as a vaccine

and for your info ciggerates have the same effect as coffee, they keep you alert
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jul 14, 2012
What?! Did I hear 3-year-jail term? That is very non-encouraging to the city at all. A fine or face the court would do better than this barbaric law of 3-year-jail term.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 1:58pm On Jul 14, 2012
In 5 to 10yrs, Lagos will be finished for good. The migration that Lagos used to enjoy but to which they now shun will stop. There will be no more companies in Lagos as most will be forced to relocate to other cities given the high tax regime. The state cannot bear the infrastructural development not because of the lack of money but for the lack of the right leadership coupled with greed and corruption et-al Tinibu style. Other cities will spring up notably from the southeast (Uyo, Calabar and Port most likely) with the development of deep water sea ports. The FG has refused to invest or allow investment into these areas for a while for only God knows why but my haunch is because of the northern cabals who are afraid to give the southeast a direct access to the sea and by so doing create further avenue for further industrialization of that region.

The main problem with Lagosians (to which I was equally guilty of) is that you think that Nigeria revolves round and depends solely on your city. That is total BS. Lagos has benefited more than it's fair share in terms of FG revenue. If you are so proud of third mainland bridge know that it was the FG that built it. If Lagos is so rich why then hasn't Fashola built a fourth mainland bridge? The maintenance of that bridge is currently being carried out by the Ministry of Works and not the Lagos State government. The longest road project LASG has carried out was a mere 50km one lane road which cost approximately a billion per kilometer and is currently the only tolled road in Nigeria.

Ask yourselves Lagosians, If truly you are not getting a raw deal.

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by PeterKbaba: 2:02pm On Jul 14, 2012
O.D.B.:
In 5 to 10yrs, Lagos will be finished for good. The migration that Lagos used to enjoy but to which they now shun will stop. There will be no more companies in Lagos as most will be forced to relocate to other cities given the high tax regime. The state cannot bear the infrastructural development not because of the lack of money but for the lack of the right leadership coupled with greed and corruption et-al Tinibu style. Other cities will spring up notably from the southeast (Uyo, Calabar and Port most likely) with the development of deep water sea ports. The FG has refused to invest or allow investment into these areas for a while for only God knows why but my haunch is because of the northern cabals who are afraid to give the southeast a direct access to the sea and by so doing create further avenue for further industrialization of that region.

The main problem with Lagosians (to which I was equally guilty of) is that you think that Nigeria revolves round and depends solely on your city. That is total BS. Lagos has benefited more than it's fair share in terms of FG revenue. If you are so proud of third mainland bridge know that it was the FG that built it. If Lagos is so rich why then hasn't Fashola built a fourth mainland bridge? The maintenance of that bridge is currently being carried out by the Ministry of Works and not the Lagos State government. The longest road project LASG has carried out was a mere 50km one lane road which cost approximately a billion per kilometer and is currently the only tolled road in Nigeria.

Ask yourselves Lagosians, If truly you are not getting a raw deal.

You most be from Kongo.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 2:07pm On Jul 14, 2012
PeterKbaba:

You most be from Kongo.

and you must be the gentleman from Uranus

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Commences Power Generation From Organic Wastes / What Nelson Mandela Said About Nigeria While He Was Alive / Sheriff Vs Markafi: Supreme Court Saved Nigeria From One-party State – Ozekhome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.