Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,659 members, 7,816,690 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. (8603 Views)

Saraki Could Face 14-year Jail Term, Ban From Public Office If Convicted / Ambode Leading Officers To Arrest Traffic Offenders In Ijora (Photos) / False Statement On Social Media: Senate Seeks For 2-Year-Jail Term For Offenders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by hairyman(m): 2:11pm On Jul 14, 2012
This is simply a clear indication of the unsoundness of our lawmakers minds. How can a civilized fellow in a democratic country come up with such an oppressive law. Clearly our priorities are misplaced, or how can one explain sending a man off to prison for three years for a traffic offence when touts are roaming the street freely and rampaging to mention just a point: what has Fashola and the lawmakers done about that? Secondly what are they doing about the integrity of LATSMA, it is an organization so uncivilized and full of lowlies that its unspeakable to make them any more relevant than they are. Truly our national consciousness is traumatised at best. Ofcourse, policemen, government officials (who made this law), politicians, military men and anybody in a uniform is exempt from this. So who is fooling who, how can this not be oppression. How can this be acceptable? Today i went to Shomolu, anyone who has been there knows that half the roads there are one way...yet the signs showing that are almost always hidden from view or are worn thin, and baring the warning from people i would probably have broken this law without even knowing it. There is something about US and THEM playing here. The lawmakers have become so estranged from the masses that they have no idea what it is like to actually be a civilian in Lagos. Or they probably do, maybe they do draw from LATSMA's fat wallet at times. This is demeaning, this has to be stopped, if you are in suppport of this law i can assure you that you are mistaken, you simply have not sat down to think abt it well enough. This is so oppressive it is unthinkable. For instance what has breaking traffic law got to do with forfeiting a car to the government (the said car will ofcourse become that of a LATSMA official or get auctioned off to cronies), forfeiting a car that one sweated to purchase. What happened to fines, what happened to probation, what happened to the numerous options available.
If the Governor signs this into law then he has descended to a new low, Fashola is a man i respect but this is unacceptable. Lagosians be wise

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by SkyBlue1: 2:12pm On Jul 14, 2012
As long as the law is applicable to everybody, there are visible road signs and information to inform drivers, and the judge is left to his/her discretion to impose up to the maximum fine per case basis, then I see nothing wrong with the law. Like in most things Nigeria, it is the implementation that is key, and therein lies the problem.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 2:17pm On Jul 14, 2012
^^^where are the road signs? last year january I was driving with a friend somewhere in Shomolu. The same road we existed into in less than 20m had mysteriously turned to a one way street. The road is behind Ogbogbi Hospital. No sign board just police men and lastma ahead, the flagged us down and told us then and there that we were on a one-way street, we apologized (not wanting to get into unnecessary arguments and where about reversing back to the appointed lane which was less than 10m from the roadblock when the LASTMA official said we must go to the council office. At the end of the day the police men where the ones telling this thug to let us be.

As long as they have baboons enforcing the law then just get ready for extortion extraordinaire.

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 2:19pm On Jul 14, 2012
hairyman: This is simply a clear indication of the unsoundness of our lawmakers minds. How can a civilized fellow in a democratic country come up with such an oppressive law. Clearly our priorities are misplaced, or how can one explain sending a man off to prison for three years for a traffic offence when touts are roaming the street freely and rampaging to mention just a point: what has Fashola and the lawmakers done about that? Secondly what are they doing about the integrity of LATSMA, it is an organization so uncivilized and full of lowlies that its unspeakable to make them any more relevant than they are. Truly our national consciousness is traumatised at best. Ofcourse, policemen, government officials (who made this law), politicians, military men and anybody in a uniform is exempt from this. So who is fooling who, how can this not be oppression. How can this be acceptable? Today i went to Shomolu, anyone who has been there knows that half the roads there are one way...yet the signs showing that are almost always hidden from view or are worn thin, and baring the warning from people i would probably have broken this law without even knowing it. There is something about US and THEM playing here. The lawmakers have become so estranged from the masses that they have no idea what it is like to actually be a civilian in Lagos. Or they probably do, maybe they do draw from LATSMA's fat wallet at times. This is demeaning, this has to be stopped, if you are in suppport of this law i can assure you that you are mistaken, you simply have not sat down to think abt it well enough. This is so oppressive it is unthinkable. For instance what has breaking traffic law got to do with forfeiting a car to the government (the said car will ofcourse become that of a LATSMA official or get auctioned off to cronies), forfeiting a car that one sweated to purchase. What happened to fines, what happened to probation, what happened to the numerous options available.
If the Governor signs this into law then he has descended to a new low, Fashola is a man i respect but this is unacceptable. Lagosians be wise

you said it all. all those supporting trash are ACN paid goons who part-time as yahoo boys.

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by tayoccu(m): 2:37pm On Jul 14, 2012
Smoking while driving can be very dangerous, imagine the driver inhaling too deeply, or startled while inhaling, he will definitely lose control of the vehicle.
Think of the consequences.
The law is on point, the penalties however are rather severe.

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by neutralist: 2:41pm On Jul 14, 2012
When necessary traffic signs are not in place. It must be reflective to ehance night
Spotting. If these are not in place it is retrospective.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by tayoccu(m): 2:43pm On Jul 14, 2012
O.D.B.:
^^^where are the road signs? last year january I was driving with a friend somewhere in Shomolu. The same road we existed into in less than 20m had mysteriously turned to a one way street. The road is behind Ogbogbi Hospital. No sign board just police men and lastma ahead, the flagged us down and told us then and there that we were on a one-way street, we apologized (not wanting to get into unnecessary arguments and where about reversing back to the appointed lane which was less than 10m from the roadblock when the LASTMA official said we must go to the council office. At the end of the day the police men where the ones telling this thug to let us be.

As long as they have baboons enforcing the law then just get ready for extortion extraordinaire.

Dude I've been living in that hood for 24 years and everybody knows d stretch of road from the petrol station (the one with an oceanic bank branch) and d junction after NOH igbobi is one way, its been like that for ages.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by omosexy1: 2:46pm On Jul 14, 2012
While we may want to commend the lawmakers for taking into cognizance the traffic situation in Lagos, I believe the bill is erring in so many ways. The people who sat to draft this bill did not do a good job at all. Are they good roads in Lagos? Are there traffic and directional signs in Lagos? Are they busstop for commercial bus drivers? People violate traffic rules in Lagos because these things are not in place. If Fashola and his cohorts wants to take Lagosians vehicle they better say so publicly, rather than making a law to only suffer the masses. Fashola and his team should first ensure that the roads are drivable, put up directional and traffic signs on roads, train and reorient LASTMA officers before passing the law. Lagos is already a mess in terms of urban planning, Fashola should start from there first or probably his aim is to generate more revenue from traffic offenders and add more vehicles to his personal assets.

2 Likes

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 14, 2012
tayoccu:

Dude I've been living in that hood for 24 years and everybody knows d stretch of road from the petrol station (the one with an oceanic bank branch) and d junction after NOH igbobi is one way, its been like that for ages.
That is appalling to say everybody knows the road. What do you have to say about those visiting for the first time from outside Lagos state?

3 Likes

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by isaco(m): 2:50pm On Jul 14, 2012
Mahatma Ghandi: I can almost picture the spirit behind the laws,it makes complete sense to a effect a higher standard of decency in lagos and in extension nigeria on another hand I feel the punishment far out ways some of the offences which will make it ineffective in a short while,some of the offences are not worth more than a six months jail term,and the fines should range from 5000 to 20,000 naira otherwise I feel it is a good law
nigerians are lawless and we need iron hand.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by naptu2: 2:50pm On Jul 14, 2012
Smoking and driving

The law affecting people who smoke in vehicles

In July 2009 England introduced smoke-free laws applying to vehicles.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland already had smoke-free vehicle legislation in place.

Smoke-free vehicle laws affect drivers, as do references to smoking and driving in the Highway Code, which also carries some legal weight.

Smoke-free laws

Company vehicles are required to be smoke free at all times if they are used:

to transport members of the public, or

in the course of paid or voluntary work by more than one person – regardless of whether they are in the vehicle at the same time.

In Scotland it is an offence to smoke in any vehicle used for work, unless that vehicle is a car. This rule also applies to vehicles from other parts of the UK.

Smoke-free vehicles must display a no-smoking sign in each compartment of the vehicle in which people can be carried. This must show the international no-smoking symbol no smaller than 70mm in diameter.

When carrying persons, smoke-free vehicles with a roof that can be stowed or removed will not be required to be smoke free when the roof is completely removed or stowed.

Vehicles that are used primarily for private purposes are not required to be smoke free.

Check your employer's smoking in vehicles policy as well – they may impose policies on smoking in vehicles that go further than the legislation.

Highway Code

Smoking is included in the Highway Code (Rule 148) as one of a number of distractions to be avoided when driving or riding.

Rule 148: Safe driving and riding needs concentration

Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as:

loud music (this may mask other sounds)

trying to read maps

inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio

arguing with your passengers or other road users

eating and drinking

smoking

You MUST NOT smoke in public transport vehicles or in vehicles used for work purposes in certain prescribed circumstances. Separate regulations apply to England, Wales and Scotland.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/smoking-and-driving.html
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Seun(m): 2:53pm On Jul 14, 2012
This is completely moronic. What if you're unaware that the road is one-way? What if you are rushing someone to a hospital? So if your child is about to die, and you take a one-way road to try to get to the hospital faster, that's 3 years? Rubbish.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by isaco(m): 2:53pm On Jul 14, 2012
all4naija: That is appalling to say everybody knows the road. What do you have to say about those visiting for the first time from outside Lagos state?
what happen to those who visit for d first time abroad?

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 14, 2012
isaco: what happen to those who visit for d first time abroad?
The road signs are usually there to guide them through.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by isaco(m): 2:57pm On Jul 14, 2012
Seun: This is completely moronic. What if you're unaware that the road is one-way? What if you are rushing someone to a hospital? So if your child is about to die, and you take a one-way road to try to get to the hospital faster, that's 3 years? Rubbish.
ignorance is not an excuse under d law. And dont u kno one can involve in accident together with d sick, dat the person is taking to hospital while followin one way?
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 2:58pm On Jul 14, 2012
tayoccu:

but I dont live there and would have required a sign to know that it was a one way street.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 14, 2012
naptu2: Smoking and driving

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland already had smoke-free vehicle legislation in place.

Smoke-free vehicle laws affect drivers, as do references to smoking and driving in the Highway Code, which also carries some legal weight.

Smoke-free laws

in the course of paid or voluntary work by more than one person – regardless of whether they are in the vehicle at the same time.

In Scotland it is an offence to smoke in any vehicle used for work, unless that vehicle is a car. This rule also applies to vehicles from other parts of the UK.

Smoke-free vehicles must display a no-smoking sign in each compartment of the vehicle in which people can be carried. This must show the international no-smoking symbol no smaller than 70mm in diameter.

When carrying persons, smoke-free vehicles with a roof that can be stowed or removed will not be required to be smoke free when the roof is completely removed or stowed.

Vehicles that are used primarily for private purposes are not required to be smoke free.

Check your employer's smoking in vehicles policy as well – they may impose policies on smoking in vehicles that go further than the legislation.

Highway Code

Smoking is included in the Highway Code (Rule 148) as one of a number of distractions to be avoided when driving or riding.

trying to read maps

eating and drinking

smoking

You MUST NOT smoke in public transport vehicles or in vehicles used for work purposes in certain prescribed circumstances. Separate regulations apply to England, Wales and Scotland.

It is lawful almost in every State not to smoke in public transport. There is no where in the world where 3-year-jail term is meted for such case. In fact people are aware of the danger of smoking to health of non-smokers and they would usually not do it in public vehicles. Believe it or not smoking in public vehicle cases are very rare to come by in States.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 3:00pm On Jul 14, 2012
there is no such law banning smoking in your own car or else my BMW will not come with an ashtray
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 3:05pm On Jul 14, 2012

Smoke-free laws

Highway Code

trying to read maps

eating and drinking

smoking

it did not mention personal vehicles and there where no citation for driving safety rather what i was able to discern is to eliminate 2nd hand smoke.
olodo follow the queen mentality

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by vanstanzy(m): 3:08pm On Jul 14, 2012
O.D.B.:
thank God I have left that agbero city for good, i will soon put my late dad's properties for sale and finally relocate permanently to Abuja

Guy,na ur own beta jor. I hope to follow suit later. Lagos don tire me.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by tayoccu(m): 3:14pm On Jul 14, 2012
O.D.B.:

but I dont live there and would have required a sign to know that it was a one way street.
Erm last time I checked, there was a one way sign there

@ seun
Even if u have a dying man in your car, it doesn't give you the right to endanger other people.
Besides it because of incidents like that lagos state launched its emergency service.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 3:16pm On Jul 14, 2012
tayoccu:
Erm last time I checked, there was a one way sign there
nah so una go talk. are u lastma? whose ipad did you steal to get on the net?
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by onyx79(m): 3:21pm On Jul 14, 2012
It is all hypocrisy!
Drive one way,heavy penalty. While looters run free..misplaced priorities. The Lagos State Govt should focus on other meaningful ways to cope with traffic issues.

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by naptu2: 3:25pm On Jul 14, 2012
naptu2: Smoking while driving ----in some places, it is illegal to take your hands off the steering wheel while driving except when changing gears (reaction time); in others, it is illegal to make a phone call while driving, even with a hands free kit (concentration).

Smoke-free laws

Highway Code

trying to read maps

eating and drinking

smoking

Although I think the penalty is harsh.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Solemntee: 3:39pm On Jul 14, 2012
LASG and Members, Lagos house of Reps though, the Law of driving against traffic is in order but the punishment for offenders is rather not commensurate. Will the same punishment applies if house of Reps members or top GOvt functionaries are invoved?

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 14, 2012
tayoccu:

You see, that's the problem right there. I know some people living in agege who have not been to places like somolu in 12 years or more. Now assume they are in somolu for an occasion, how do you expect them to know which road is one-way or not? Especially those roads that change from one-way to two-way at different times of the day. The sign boards that are meant to warn motorists in most places like that are usually hidden or damaged. You see a lot of Lastma and police in places like that not to warn motorists from entering the road but to extort them after the deed as been done.

2 Likes

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by CuteTj(m): 4:08pm On Jul 14, 2012
@ O.D.B. I can attest to the fact that some streets in shomolu local government don't have One-way signs like you mentioned but Just because a few streets in Lagos state don't have One-way signs, should we now make One-way driving legal? That particular street you are talking about is Isaac John Str. If you're coming from Morocco rd and you're trying to link Ikorodu road (the right street is Oyebajo str. and not Isaac John str.) and truly it hasn't got a No entry sign when you reach the middle of Isaac John street. Let me give you an example of a road that has a One-way sign that some motorists don,t obey. Assuming you're on Ikorodu road and you're going to Igbobi college, another route is by Fadeyi bus stop via Kalejaiye str (its the right turning before Orthopaedic hospital). The street before it is Oyebajo str. which has got a VISIBLE NO-ENTRY SIGN but despite the sign, some motorists still go through the street. To enlighten you, That road has been One-way for motorists coming from Ikorodu rd. even before i was born. And even up till this moment im typing this, some motorist are still passing the One-way route. One-way is absolute lawlessness, madness and its wrong. Its having no respect for other road users and it causes accidents. Where there is no law, there is no sin. Next time you take a road that is One-way unknowingly because there is no One-way sign there, point it out to the officers (remember where there is no law, there is no sin) that may accost you and refuse to be arrested or pay because in that case you have committed no offence. But if you join them and take a recognised One-way route, these new laws should serve as a deterrent. Until we have tough laws that are applicable to everyone; Be it rich or poor, old or young Nigerians will never do what is right even when they are aware that its wrong.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by CuteTj(m): 4:18pm On Jul 14, 2012
I believe wit the passage of this bill into law, correct directional signs will be erected. And if they are not, let me repeat myself. If you take a One-way route unknowingly because a No-entry sign wasn't erected, point that out to the officers when accosted and then refuse to be arrested or pay. Where there is no law, there is no sin!.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by fm7070: 4:20pm On Jul 14, 2012
this is a fake law. it is made to victimise common people.
ACN will soon lose Lagos with this anihilation and multiple exortion from the poor masses

2 Likes

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Biggyd2: 4:35pm On Jul 14, 2012
Laudable bill but the punishment/ penalties are wrong. Harsh if you ask me. And let us be frank with ourselves- who will the law if passed apply to? The poor masses or the makers and the breakers of this law?

Is there a comprehensive list of ALL taxes paid by people in this state?
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by tayoccu(m): 5:24pm On Jul 14, 2012
O.D.B.:

nah so una go talk. are u lastma? whose ipad did you steal to get on the net?

I don't have to be lastma to tell the truth do I?
Dude please I take God beg u respect yourself.

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by mbhs139(m): 6:08pm On Jul 14, 2012
luvinhubby: This is gross INSANITY, 3rs & $350 for traffic violation. Where else in the whole wide world is this applicable.

Reptyle:

Where else in the world do people disobey traffic laws with such impunity as we do in Lagos Is it not GROSS INSANITY to drive against traffic on a major expressway like Apapa - Oshodi road I pray it doesn't take a personal loss of a relative or friend for you to begin to see the wisdom in the stiff penalties imposed by LASG. Penalties are deterrents...in other words, DO NOT BREAK THE LAW SO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE FINE OR DO TIME IN PRISON!!!

thank you. that was a good response to a very silly post like the above. Someone even said the fine should be reduced to 5000, so that he will be able to afford it whenever he brakes the law, isn't it?

If you don't fall on the wrong side of the law, you don't have any business going to jail or being afraid. the law is only a deterent mechanism to those who will not listen. simply.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions / Full Definition Of "Wailing Wailers" / Igbo Presidency After Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.