Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,222 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. (8602 Views)

Saraki Could Face 14-year Jail Term, Ban From Public Office If Convicted / Ambode Leading Officers To Arrest Traffic Offenders In Ijora (Photos) / False Statement On Social Media: Senate Seeks For 2-Year-Jail Term For Offenders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by mbhs139(m): 6:12pm On Jul 14, 2012
Biggyd2: Laudable bill but the punishment/ penalties are wrong. Harsh if you ask me. And let us be frank with ourselves- who will the law if passed apply to? The poor masses or the makers and the breakers of this law?

Is there a comprehensive list of ALL taxes paid by people in this state?

That's the only way you can get people to comply. You have nothing to be scared of sofar you keep your side of the deal ... don't brake the law.

If there had been laws and are being implemented, we woundn't have been in this mess with our legislathieves and executhieves at all levels.

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by giwa4giwa(m): 6:35pm On Jul 14, 2012
Na poor man dey suffer for rich man, bt where money lies.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by nagoma(m): 6:53pm On Jul 14, 2012
O.D.B.:
thank God I have left that agbero city for good, i will soon put my late dad's properties for sale and finally relocate permanently to Abuja

Obey the law ! The governor is right, don't come and pollute Abuja with irresponsible anti establishment behavior.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Biggysmalls919(m): 6:54pm On Jul 14, 2012
Good news. We need some sanity on our roads. When u try correcting some nigerians they foolishly ask u if this is america? The law should be enforced immediately frm badagry xpress road btw alakija and mazamaza they will generate enough money.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by texazzpete(m): 6:59pm On Jul 14, 2012
mbhs139:

That's the only way you can get people to comply. You have nothing to be scared of sofar you keep your side of the deal ... don't brake the law.

If there had been laws and are being implemented, we woundn't have been in this mess with our legislathieves and executhieves at all levels.

This has nothing to do with 'keeping the law' you accursed m0r0n! How the heck can you fine someone N20000 for something as nebulous as 'failure to obey traffic control'? So for example the state can fine you N20k for failing to spot an imperceptible hand gesture...and you can be sure those touts in LASTMA will try their best to abuse this system. It also means that if you mistakenly enter a poorly labeled One-way street in an area you're unfamiliar with, the state can seize your 2010 Camry you took loan to buy..even if you just drive 3 metres into the one-way street before seeing the craftily concealed signs, you're in danger of losing your vehicle PERMANENTLY!

What part of the word 'draconian' do you not understand?

Lagos needs sanity, but putting in place draconian laws that can easily be abused is just plain stoopid! And anyone who supports this insanity needs to go for psychiatric evaluation ASAP!

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by tayoccu(m): 7:00pm On Jul 14, 2012
In my honest opinion, this laws will have positive impact.
The governor's convoy obeys the laws, so I don't see why members of his cabinet won't .
I've seen a senior military officer's vehicle impounded for breaking traffic rules, same thing with a loaded bullion van.
So I believe it will be enforced to the letter.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by texazzpete(m): 7:02pm On Jul 14, 2012
mbhs139:

thank you. that was a good response to a very silly post like the above. Someone even said the fine should be reduced to 5000, so that he will be able to afford it whenever he brakes the law, isn't it?

If you don't fall on the wrong side of the law, you don't have any business going to jail or being afraid. the law is only a deterent mechanism to those who will not listen. simply.

Ehen na, you for kukuma make the penalty Death by Hanging so that it is even a more effective deterrent sef. Shebi according to you and your fellow m0r0ns, draconian laws are fine if they are a deterrent to law breaking, no matter how minor?

Keep celebrating happily while the same House of Assembly members fail to pass any meaningful bills that will curb corruption in Lagos State legislative and executive arms.

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ODB1: 7:19pm On Jul 14, 2012
nagoma:

Obey the law ! The governor is right, don't come and pollute Abuja with irresponsible anti establishment behavior.
you have no clue
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Revolva(m): 7:25pm On Jul 14, 2012
3 years for kiri kiri or ikoyi this people bad oo don't mind dem na money dem dey find

2 Likes

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ayo7654: 10:13pm On Jul 14, 2012
i think working as a lastma official is like working in oil and Gas company now( To be precise Total Plc) Thank God i don move outrightly away from dt over congested state 4 now. infact i am planning 2 sell the land i have dia to av rest of mind
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Biggyd2: 10:27pm On Jul 14, 2012
mbhs139:

Thanks. Like I said I do not have a problem with this law and I still stand by my disagreement with it, part of which you stated in the second paragraph of your response. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. That is a major problem in this country -"sacred cows"!

In the event that you have a source for a list of all taxes paid by people of this state, it would be appreciated.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by abiamahart: 11:02pm On Jul 14, 2012
I beg to disagree with the roundabout scenario. LASTMA will abuse it. Secondly at what quadrant of the circle should we give way?
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Sprumbaba: 12:59am On Jul 15, 2012
w

2 Likes

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Nobody: 4:55am On Jul 15, 2012
Its a move in the right direction. The law serves as a deterrent to prospective offenders and its not intended to jail half of Lagos. We hope that people will behave properly to avoid harsh penalties. Alot of countries have similar situations and therefore pass strong laws to curb rubbish. Eko o ni baje! na all of us go enjoy am.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by true2god: 7:24am On Jul 15, 2012
O.D.B.:
Penalty or revenue generation ?
Nice question!

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Nobody: 7:42am On Jul 15, 2012
with the lastma we all know . . . lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by iykak47: 7:50am On Jul 15, 2012
''Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger will attract N20,000 or 3 years imprisonment or both''. shocked shocked shocked.

Chei i pity women that wear gele.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by mbhs139(m): 9:39pm On Jul 15, 2012
texazzpete:

This has nothing to do with 'keeping the law' you accursed m0r0n! How the heck can you fine someone N20000 for something as nebulous as 'failure to obey traffic control'? So for example the state can fine you N20k for failing to spot an imperceptible hand gesture...and you can be sure those touts in LASTMA will try their best to abuse this system. It also means that if you mistakenly enter a poorly labeled One-way street in an area you're unfamiliar with, the state can seize your 2010 Camry you took loan to buy..even if you just drive 3 metres into the one-way street before seeing the craftily concealed signs, you're in danger of losing your vehicle PERMANENTLY!

What part of the word 'draconian' do you not understand?

Lagos needs sanity, but putting in place draconian laws that can easily be abused is just plain stoopid! And anyone who supports this insanity needs to go for psychiatric evaluation ASAP!

I understand every bit of your response but the part i don't undertand is the name calling. What have i done to deserved being called a slowpoke according to you? is it now a crime to have a different opinion? I quiet agree with you with the boldened but you lost my respect the moment you donw graded yourself to the level of name calling. Only if you had you know... Anyway, i would rather advice that you exercise some decorioum when next you hit the keyboard, okay? be a goodboy. have a nice time. God bless you my son/daughter

2 Likes

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by RICHIEBOI1(m): 11:53pm On Jul 15, 2012
when these new law takes effect. the govt will have to start building more prison cells. because alot of people will surely default.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by ORIGINALMAN: 7:17am On Jul 16, 2012
I WONDER TOO. THIS 3YRS JAIL TERM FOR TRAFFIC AND IMPOUNDING OF VEHICLES. IT IS GROSS IMPRACTICABLE, AND THAT MEANS MAKING NONSENSE OF A GOOD IDEA.
I URGE FASHOLA NOT TO ACCENT TO THE LAW UNTIL THE LAW MAKERS GO BACK TO THE DRAWING TABLE AND DO SOME AMENDMENTS LIKE 12 MOTHS IMPRISONMENT AND A FINE OF 10K OR BOTH FOR 3RD TIME OFFENDERS. THIS WILL MAKE THE LAW TO HAVE HUMAN FACE OR LOOKS WORKABLE.
Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by naptu2: 5:44am On Jul 18, 2012
[size=14pt]Picture: Fashola Enforces Traffic Law, Arrests Two Officers On BRT Lane[/size]

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, Tuesday arrested two top military officers who drove on the dedicated Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) lane, expressing dismay that those who should show the highest form of discipline and professionalism were the ones violating the BRT regulation.

The two military officers, who were accosted on the BRT lane at the Outer Marina in Central Lagos, are Colonel Ki Yusuf who drove in an Army Green Peugeot 406 with registration number BO1 – 150 NA and Staff Sergeant Adeomi A.J. who drove in a black Toyota Camry.

Realizing that the game was up, Colonel Yusuf came down from his car, saluted severally and kept muttering “I am sorry, very, very sorry”, with the Governor enquiring why, as a senior military officer, Yusuf would choose to break the law instead of preserving it.

The arrest drew the attention of commuters and other passers-by who commended the Governor for showing good leadership and expressed joy that the senior military officers got caught in the act at last.

Fielding questions from newsmen after the incident, Governor Fashola described as very unfortunate the fact that those who ought to stand behind in defence of the democratic values of the nation are the ones violating the law.

Governor Fashola, who noted that the highest levels of the Military Command have expressed continuously their commitment to supporting democracy and to subjecting themselves and their officers to the laws of the country, declared, “those officers that I caught today are a very bad example for the military.”

The Governor said he had already made a representation to the superiors of the culprits, expressing optimism that they would be sanctioned appropriately.

He, however, added: “but it signifies my commitment and the commitment of the Lagos State Government that all those who will not comply with our laws should leave our state. We will not back down.

“There is a zero tolerance for lawlessness. There is zero tolerance for breach of our regulations and we are going to do more of this. We are going to take control over our traffic. We cannot build our way out of traffic congestion; our responsibility is to manage traffic and manage congestion.”

Insisting that people must behave themselves, Governor Fashola declared: “I don’t use the BRT lane, I sit down in traffic and I expect everyone who wants to drive his car to do the same. The alternative is to use the bus.

“The bus is for those who cannot afford to buy cars. They have the right also to use the road and we cannot encroach on that lane which we have reserved for them. This is democratisation of the road and I will defend it.”

https://www.nairaland.com/992912/fashola-arrests-2-army-officers

Re: 3-year Jail Term Awaits One-way Traffic Offenders In Lagos. by Tokotaya: 7:32am On Aug 01, 2012
One-way driving is bad and should be stopped. But this law is wrong, and will fail, by God's grace. Otherwise, you or your relative may become a jail bird for simply taking a wrong turn on a Lagos road. Here's an article that provides illumination on why this is wrong. It says everything I would have loved to personally write here.

New traffic offence bill misses it, again

The new traffic offence bill just passed by the Lagos State parliament and currently awaiting Governor Babatunde Fashola’s assent again speaks to the cluelessness at the heart of Lagos traffic problems. Solution to increasing traffic infractions on Lagos roads does not lie in making the traffic laws more draconian. Instead, it lies in effective enforcement of extant laws.
Can it be argued that everyone who has driven against the traffic in Lagos in the last one year has been apprehended and fined accordingly? Certainly not. If you have not arrested even 10 percent of those who have committed this violation in Lagos in the last one year, how can you come to the conclusion that the fine is not effective?
It has been demonstrated in other jurisdictions that people will generally not violate traffic laws if they know they will be detected and punished accordingly, with a fine primarily. Nobody is happy to pay out money unless in exchange for goods and services. Nigerians hate fines. Lagosians who travel to environments where traffic laws are enforced effectively are generally among the best behaved road users.
Namibia is in Africa, yet if you jump the red light at an intersection you are not likely to get away with it. Manual monitoring is complemented by an automated system, complete with cameras which capture your plate number. A ticket is despatched to the address registered with the vehicle within days. If the offender fails to pay within stipulated time, he gets a court summons. At that stage onward, he can land in jail. Nigerians in that country dutifully abide by the laws. Such an advanced system was not put in place overnight. It began with the development of a central database of vehicles and their owners.
The challenge of traffic law enforcement in an environment like ours is what the government should creatively and rigorously think about, not rolling out this simplistic solution that bodes ill for Lagos and its residents.
Three years imprisonment without an option of fine for one-way driving is an unreasonable proposition, which even if it works, will be at a hugely disproportionate cost to the society. There is a cost of enforcement beyond Naira and Kobo that the makers of the laws have not thought about. For every one daredevil one-way traffic violators that this law will send to jail, there are two otherwise law abiding citizens whose lives will be ruined by that law for taking a wrong turn in a city lacking in modern directional signs. Ignorance, indeed, is no excuse in the court of law.
Equally important is the fact that this law will be putting the enforcers in harm’s way. Those who came up with this bill apparently did not consider that they might be imperilling the lives of the LASTMA officials working to keep our roads free? They did not consider the fate of that hardworking LASTMA official that will try to stop a one-way traffic violator who knows he is certainly going to jail if caught. And for the motorists who do not have the heart to run over a LASTMA official standing between him and freedom, they will be willing to significantly jerk up the upper limit of a bribe they can pay a traffic law enforcer. Either way, the society is the loser.
Traffic management thrives on careful planning and rigorous thinking. This proposed law is not a product of that process and will ultimately make Lagos worse than it is. Why do we still not have a central database of vehicles owned in Lagos State, plus the biometrics of their owners? And when the bill talks about first-time offenders, how do they even determine who is a first-time offender when there is no central database that you can run the biometrics of offenders through? This bill is assuming that the offences will be repeated in the same locality by the same offenders who will be apprehended by the same LASTMA officials who apprehended them the first time! A little convoluted, isn’t it? But that’s the only assumption we can make in an environment where digital records are non-existent.
It is not too late. The government can initiate an exercise to collect and centrally warehouse the details of all vehicles used in Lagos and their owners. And it should be at no cost to vehicle owners. Governments miss the point when they turn a vital social project like this to money-making ventures which add to the burden of the citizens. They then fail to get the much needed buy-in of the public. If at all any money will be paid by motorists and vehicle owners, it must be a token.
In the meantime, government should invest in modern traffic management gadgets for the traffic managers. Breathalysers, speed guns, radio communication equipment and other essential tools should be provided. And, as for this bill, it should be tossed where it belongs, the dustbin.

http://johnaweonline..com/2012/07/new-traffic-offence-bill-misses-it-again.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC Grants Reuben Abati Bail - See Conditions Attached / 'I Hate It Here'... Fulani Muslim Lady Cries Out As She 'disowns' The North / Electoral Bill: Buhari Should Be Commended For His Courage - Fayemi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.