Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,468 members, 7,954,832 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:27 AM

Light Rail Update: FG Hands Over NRC Rail Corridor To LASG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Light Rail Update: FG Hands Over NRC Rail Corridor To LASG (816 Views)

FG Hands Over NITEL To NATCOM Consortium / FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA / FG Hands Over PHCN Power Cops To Private Bidders In 2 Weeks- Anyim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Light Rail Update: FG Hands Over NRC Rail Corridor To LASG by TonySpike: 8:27am On Jul 15, 2012
By Rasheed Bisiriyu ⁠

Indication emerged on Friday that the Lagos State Government had received the necessary backing of the Federal Government for its second light rail project, the red line.

This followed the handing over in principle of the Lagos rail track to the state government for the construction of the new standard gauge track from Marina to Agbado.

Five tracks are to be built on the 30 metre railway corridor, which currently accommodates one narrow gauge track being used exclusively by the Nigerian Railway Corporation.

The Managing Director of NRC, Mr. Adeseyi Sijuwade, confirmed the development to our correspondent in a telephone interview; just as he hinted that thousands of houses along the railway corridor would give way for the construction of the Lagos second light rail track.

He said, “The NRC has in principle given the Lagos State Government the corridor (Lagos-Agbado) within the existing Right of way, which is 30m wide, for the red line project.”

The line will be used for the Lagos light train (red line) and the national rail.

Sijuwade said only two of the tracks would be devoted to the light rail operation; another two for the NRC-run Lagos-Kano trip; and the fifth track would exclusively be used for freight movement.

For more information, read: http://www.punchng.com/business/light-rail-fg-hands-over-nrc-corridor-to-lasg/
Re: Light Rail Update: FG Hands Over NRC Rail Corridor To LASG by 2sd(m): 10:00am On Jul 15, 2012
This is a good development. If the cooperation between Lagos state Government and Federal Government could continue like we will surely get to the promise land. Good news like this is what we want to keep hearing. Thanks LASG.
Re: Light Rail Update: FG Hands Over NRC Rail Corridor To LASG by TonySpike: 12:52pm On Jul 17, 2012
This indeed a good development. My only fear is the large number of building demolitions required to create the right-of-way for the rail tracks. All said, I hope this project begins the soonest.
Re: Light Rail Update: FG Hands Over NRC Rail Corridor To LASG by Gbawe: 5:25pm On Jul 17, 2012
Tony Spike: This indeed a good development. My only fear is the large number of building demolitions required to create the right-of-way for the rail tracks. All said, I hope this project begins the soonest.

Indeed my brother. As per demolition to create routes, we all have to remember that "no pain no gain". These are the sort of solutions Lagos must bravely pursue if it is to overcome serious urban development challenges.

(1) (Reply)

Ngige: NBA Elections: I Stand By My Position / A Suicide Bomber Attacked Mosque In Potiskum, Yobe State / Army Says Bomb Factory Was "Bombed" To Stop independence Day Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.