Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,519 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone (18037 Views)

Why You Shouldn't Use Your Phone In A Toilet Again / How To Take Sharp Photos With Your Smart Phone. / Naija Smartphonomics: The Economics Of Buying A Smart Phone In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by lynxnoon(m): 10:11am On Jul 16, 2012
if its d Puskin i know . . . . . he's just pulling ur legs grin grin grin
oya puskin come for more lessons on android os. . . lol[size=1pt][/size]
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Mutee: 10:13am On Jul 16, 2012
adewasco2k: @OP:
1) They’re Expensive with Ongoing Costs
you can get a smart phone for less than 20k...do you say that's expensive

2) Do You Really Need That Much Technology in Your Life?
there are mobile phones for crying out loud....can you carry your laptop to the super-market? coz i use my phone to google some products while shopping etc

3) Not as Convenient as You May Think
i totally disagree.....my blackberry is the best thing that has happen to me when it comes to sending mails and receiving...so damn easy and convenient #pushmails

4) You Could Have a Misperceived Need
you own a PC undecided do you remember when PC's were so rear? c'mon you gotta move along with technology.

5) They are replacing human-to-human interaction
totally agree with you but its cool #positivity

Please ignore this guy.

@OP, Don't border adopting any technology at all. You woulda remained in the 80s. Mtchewwwww! Abeg make we hear word jor.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by ektbear: 10:15am On Jul 16, 2012

In my opinion, smartphones really aren’t as convenient as you might imagine. No matter what connectivity speed you have, pages load relatively slowly on smartphones, and navigating them is more a nuisance than anything else.

Just connect via wi-fi to your internet connection. That way you can browse on your phone at the same speeds as you do on your laptop.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by ChiSun27(m): 10:17am On Jul 16, 2012
Point 5 makes d mark.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Nobody: 10:19am On Jul 16, 2012
I think the techy companies should focus on battery technologies. Its a pain in the arse for one to keep charging these gadgets. I am phucking tired of not getting a phone that stays on for 1 week without charging. God...I miss my Nokia 3310
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by sofadj(m): 10:19am On Jul 16, 2012
So what are u suggestin? Mr puskin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 10:20am On Jul 16, 2012
lafile: My Reply.

Five (Sarcastic)Reasons Why U Do Not Need A Car

Any way you look at it, cars are expensive.

2) Do You Really Need That Much Mobility in Your Life?
My company has a Staff Bus I can ride to work everyday, my house i near the BRT bus stop, I actually enjoy riding okada. What do I need a car for? If i get stuck in traffic at Mile 12, I can just come down from the bus and take a bike. Can a car owner do that?

In my opinion, cars are not really as convenient as you might imagine. You waste hundreds of man hours with the mechanic, spend early mornings washing the car, and lets not forget the millions of things that can go wrong with a car. Phew!If a bus gets a flat tire, i just come down and take the next bus. Simple.

Majority of people who have cars think they are a necessity, when in fact they are not.
Forty years ago, most people didn’t even have cars. Even in New York lots of 'Big Boys' rely on the subway to move around. It then stands to reason that if your forefathers made it in life without a car, there’s a good chance that it is not a true necessity in your current life.

5) They are replacing good exercise.
You can hardly see fit people anymore.They spend so much time driving, they don't get the benefits of the good old trek anymore.

this TOPIC is PATENTED....if ur going to do a RE-MIX.....kindly inform the author. grin grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 16, 2012
So what happens to my newly acquired BB Bold 7? I should throw it into the atlantic ocean cos its expensive? @ poster u no well o!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 10:23am On Jul 16, 2012
lynxnoon: if its d Puskin i know . . . . . he's just pulling ur legs grin grin grin
oya puskin come for more lessons on android os. . . lol[size=1pt][/size]

Im coming for the lesson to enable me destroy all smart fones.......they are really not necessary.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by ektbear: 10:25am On Jul 16, 2012
Basically, if you don't care about accessing the internet from your phone and ONLY want to use a phone to make calls/send text messages, then sure, don't get a smart phone.

But if you like watching movies/browsing the internet/checking email/facebooking/nairalanding/listening to music/etc from anywhere, then you should get a smart phone.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 10:26am On Jul 16, 2012
berem: So what happens to my newly acquired BB Bold 7? I should throw it into the atlantic ocean cos its expensive? @ poster u no well o!

I know....so I suggest U give it to that destitute you see on the street everyday, so that they can trade it and feed themselves. cool cool
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by pharuk: 10:26am On Jul 16, 2012
This is just poverty Talk.
Getting sick of all this..
Whats next,
10 reasons not to marry a beautiful girl..
5 Reasons to leave in a rented house.
15 reasons why posting a letter in the post office is more efficient than email??
5 Reasons why Black and white TV is better 3D tv

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by okohpaul2: 10:26am On Jul 16, 2012
I GUESS YOU SPEAKING FOR YOURSELF........ undecided

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 10:31am On Jul 16, 2012
sofa-dj:
So what are u suggestin? Mr puskin

If U already possess a smart fone....trade it in ....if u don't have one....and still considering getting one.....I suggest u go for NOKIA 3310c......refurbished.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by brabus(m): 10:33am On Jul 16, 2012
puskin:

1) What kind of smart fone goes for less than 20k....that aint a smart fone, cos it has fancy LCD doesn't make it one.

2)What product are u googling in the supermarket that can't be googled @home.....after preparing ur budget list......googling in the supermarket is just trying to do some effizy......i would do same @SHOPRITE........to impress the ladies....U know nah.

3)That too can still be done on a lappie or U can just outrightly call the person.

4)Move along only when it will add value to ur life......and not cos others are doing it.

5)We agree together......

@OP, 90% of your respondent are using Smartphones, Tablets and other internet devices.

Point 1. Are the really expensive?
How many people can afford and maintain a laptop or desktop?
Have you considered all the peripherals and the add-ons to make you enjoy your laptop/desktop and make it internet ready? Let me help you (3G USB Modem, Speaker, Wireless Card, *Constant Power Supply)

Point 5 is useless.
Do you need face-to-face interaction to drive your points home? Have you ever considered the pros of a smartphone - realtime communication.

Wake up! Its dawn of a new era.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Okijajuju1(m): 10:35am On Jul 16, 2012
puskin: In this day and age when it seems like almost every week there is another “latest and greatest” technology gadget put out on the market, it can be enticing to jump in and pick one up for yourself.
I have serious doubts that everyone who owns a smart fone is really getting their money’s worth.

Below are some of the reasons why you simply shouldn’t purchase a smartphone:-

Any way you look at it, these mobile devices are expensive.

Every good thing costs money.. You DSTV is expensive.. You could have gone for the cheaper options like CMTV, Metro Digital and co, yet you chose DSTV.. Thats also how the Phone game works.. Nokia 3310 are cheap options to the Smartphones, however pound for pound, they almost deliver full worth for the monies you pay.. E.G.. With a Smart Phone like an Iphone, Blackberry or any of the Andriod phones, You have instantly taken away the need for carrying a separate camera, a separate video recorder, a separate tape recorder, In some cases like the Samsung Galaxy S series a separate Transistor radio, also eliminate the need for Newspapers (as you have them delivered straight to your phone), The need for a GPS Navigation system, A flash drive for documents, a Laptop for movies as they even display in HD and in some cases like the LG Smartphone in 3D, A walkman for Music, e....t....c... the need for so many things a eliminated with one device.. Thats why they are a smart option for smart people..

This is why the Phones justify the cost..

puskin:
I have a PC at home that I can access at any time, and I own a laptop that I can take with me if I need to. I have up-to-the-minute sports scores on my DSTV, as well as up-to-the minute news reports. To be honest with you, I have all the technology that I currently need in my life. I simply do not need the Internet in my pocket 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Do you?

Well I cant hustle you... However there are many people who earn a living by information.. Those group cant live without the Internet.. I for example make money from Info I get. I cant afford to wait to get home to Check my mails as I may not have the luxury of time, with my smaprtphones, I get realtime and upto date alerts on my emails, weather, sports, news and entertainment.. The advantage of a smartphone is Internet everywhere you go which translates in information everywhere you go... So I am on the road attending to a business, I cant afford to be home watching the Liverpool match.. So I simply use the sports App on my Iphone to keep abreast of the scores.. If I were abrod, I could even watch the match live on my phone.. At the same time, I could hold a meeting from my car using the Chat options.. Using Skype, I could save myself the cost of flying to the UK for a meeting...

If you ask if we really need that much technology on us, the qquestion I would ask you is why do you use a mobile phone when you could simply stick to the use of Landlines?!

puskin:
In my opinion, smartphones really aren’t as convenient as you might imagine. No matter what connectivity speed you have, pages load relatively slowly on smartphones, and navigating them is more a nuisance than anything else.

I beg to differ.. If thats your explanation of convenience then I guess we are looking at things differently.. Imagine that I have a meeting I have to get to, my secretary has to forward me document I need for the meeting which I have to review.. Thats the luxury the smartphone affords you.. It may not be as easy as a conventional laptop, but it beats having to log a big laptop around on Bus or train.. LIfe is easier with a smartphone..

The meaning of convenient to me is Easy to use, Light, handy and all-encompassing..

puskin: 4) You Could Have a Misperceived Need
Majority of people who have smartphones think they are a necessity, when in fact they are not.
Twenty years ago, most of us didn’t even have cell phones, and eight years ago, I doubt any of us had smartphones. It then stands to reason that if you made it that far in life without a smartphone, there’s a good chance that it is not a true necessity in your current life.

As at the year 2000, we didnt have internet banking nor ATM cards, so does that mean we dont have need for them?! Should we go back to those days?! You have absolutely no point here.. In the (WAY BACK WHEN) we didnt have cars but moved around on Horses and mules, should we go back to those days?!
Like whats your point?! In 1993, we didnt have e-mails and used NIPOST and Paper mail companies, should we go back to those days?! Like whats your point exactly?!

puskin: 5) They are replacing human-to-human interaction
You can hardly see individuals (youths especially) looking themselves in the eye and having a mutual decent conversation.

You hardly see youths reading books and Novels and classics like Shakespear and Jane Austen , Nothanks to movies and Cinema.. Should we scrap the movies industry?! Kids no longerplay outside thanks to Video games and CartoonNetwork, does that necessarily make them bad?!

DONT HATE ON THINGS YOU DONT UNDERSTAND

5 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Myself2(m): 10:36am On Jul 16, 2012
Here we go again
I'm sure this aint no one of 'em thread for what broke people say

Smartphones are mostly for effizy and status statement though undecided
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 10:36am On Jul 16, 2012
pharuk: This is just poverty Talk.
Getting sick of all this..
Whats next,
10 reasons not to marry a beautiful girl..
5 Reasons to leave in a rented house.
15 reasons why posting a letter in the post office is more efficient than email??
5 Reasons why Black and white TV is better 3D tv

I was expecting someone like U to come wit dis.......anything that has an advantage....has a disadvantage.
e.g. 10reasons not marry a beautiful girl......no 1. All man go dey pursue am......and woe betide you if she is wayward........then its high B.P. for U. grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Jayten(m): 10:38am On Jul 16, 2012
puskin:

NOKIA 3310c........refurbished grin grin
lol....... Y not thuraya?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Sike(m): 10:39am On Jul 16, 2012
Who be dis self? Abegi jor!!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 16, 2012
puskin:

I was expecting someone like U to come wit dis.......anything that has an advantage....has a disadvantage.
e.g. 10reasons not marry a beautiful girl......no 1. All man go dey pursue am......and woe betide you if she is wayward........then its high B.P. for U. grin
There are disadvantages son, but the advantages make me forget the disadvantages.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 10:40am On Jul 16, 2012
Myself2: Here we go again
I'm sure this aint no one of 'em thread for what broke people say

Smartphones are mostly for effizy and status statement though undecided

Ur seeing the point.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Panshow(m): 10:40am On Jul 16, 2012
Googling in the super market?. My 11k nokia 2700 is doing the job for me.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 10:42am On Jul 16, 2012
Jayten: lol....... Y not thuraya?

Anywhr Thuraya can call........3310c can also call there....cheaper too.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Okijajuju1(m): 10:47am On Jul 16, 2012
puskin:

Anywhr Thuraya can call........3310c can also call there....cheaper too.

LIES!!!!!

Go and update yourself..
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Tingles(m): 10:49am On Jul 16, 2012

I have serious doubts that everyone who owns a smart fone is really getting their money’s worth.
The only true sentence in this long post.

I would rather use a relatively expensive smartphone than use a cheap but slow java phone without multitasking capability.

Yes, I even need more than I can afford.

Depends on the network you browse with and the browser you use. Having emails delivered like text messages is convenient.

Yeah, if the only thing you use your smartphone for is bbm, then you're right.
With all these social networks? I guess the people you chat with on 2go, bbm, whatsapp, qeep,wechat, twitter, friendster e.t.c are ghosts.

BTW, my definition of smartphone doesn't include blackberry phones.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by walcolm(m): 10:49am On Jul 16, 2012
puskin: In this day and age when it seems like almost every week there is another “latest and greatest” technology gadget put out on the market, it can be enticing to jump in and pick one up for yourself.

Below are some of the reasons why you simply shouldn’t purchase a smartphone:-

Any way you look at it, these mobile devices are expensive.

I have a PC at home that I can access at any time, and I own a laptop that I can take with me if I need to. I have up-to-the-minute sports scores on my DSTV, as well as up-to-the minute news reports. To be honest with you, I have all the technology that I currently need in my life. I simply do not need the Internet in my pocket 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Do you?

Majority of people who have smartphones think they are a necessity, when in fact they are not.
Twenty years ago, most of us didn’t even have cell phones, and eight years ago, I doubt any of us had smartphones. It then stands to reason that if you made it that far in life without a smartphone, there’s a good chance that it is not a true necessity in your current life.

You can hardly see individuals (youths especially) looking themselves in the eye and having a mutual decent conversation.

why do u have a PC at home...20yrs ago you didn't have a PC...so if you made it that far in your life, why bother with a PC and internet....maybe you don't need your PC and internet connection which you used in creating this post
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Okijajuju1(m): 10:52am On Jul 16, 2012
Tingles:
2go, bbm, whatsapp, qeep,wechat, twitter, friendster e.t.c are ghosts.

And what makes the other smart phones smarter than a Blackberry and why the prejudice towards Blackberries?!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 10:57am On Jul 16, 2012
Okija_juju:

LIES!!!!!

Go and update yourself..

I was expecting dat.......Good 3310c can't call a SAT. fone.....who cares
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Cyberconnect12: 10:59am On Jul 16, 2012
tonyx4x44: Your reasons also apply to computers, TVs and a host of other tech stuff. As you can have up to date news on your radio and news papers. Mind your 12 years ago we didn't have dstv and life went on!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 11:00am On Jul 16, 2012
Tingles:
The only true sentence in this long post.

I would rather use a relatively expensive smartphone than use a cheap but slow java phone without multitasking capability.

Yes, I even need more than I can afford.

Depends on the network you browse with and the browser you use. Having emails delivered like text messages is convenient.

Yeah, if the only thing you use your smartphone for is bbm, then you're right.

With all these social networks? I guess the people you chat with on 2go, bbm, whatsapp, qeep,wechat, twitter, friendster e.t.c are ghosts.

The bestest answer so far......u do indeed need a smart fone
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by leslieu63(m): 11:02am On Jul 16, 2012
throway ur smartphone na and use touch light phone and stop writting crap.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon / 10 Features And Price Of Itel P40 / New Advertisement! Battery Life of Samsung Galaxy S7 Related To A Time Bomb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.