Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,565 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone (18038 Views)

Why You Shouldn't Use Your Phone In A Toilet Again / How To Take Sharp Photos With Your Smart Phone. / Naija Smartphonomics: The Economics Of Buying A Smart Phone In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by pharuk: 4:54pm On Jul 16, 2012
@OP
1 REASON NOT TO READ THIS THREAD - - POSTER GOT POVERTY ISSUES..
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Philolos: 5:10pm On Jul 16, 2012
Puskin, if you had a phone 20 years ago, you be senior boy/girl Ooo! There is obviously a technology gap between the younger generation and the older ones. I work in tech and I’m married with kidz. I use my smartphone to access the internet while helping with homework with my kidz in the car - easy access to wiki for fact checking and online dictionary. I use my smartphone to take notes - I still use a paper notepad of course but the notepad on my smartphone is searchable. The paper pad is not. The laptop is bulky and takes a few minutes to boot and all processes launched. I use my smartphone to check the weather which helps my family and me dress accordingly for the day. Living in the west, I use my smartphone to Yelp, to access online maps, to check my bank statement or query if a check has cleared. I use my smartphone to deposit a check. In certain instances, my kidz use my smartphone to play games. I also perceive my smartphone as money, since I’m also in business for myself. I can read documents on the fly with my smartphone. If you happen to be my competitor, you obviously would not be for long.

In addition, I use my smartphone as my backup alarm clock. I use my smartphone to check on traffic delays en route. I read some books on my smartphone – no longer than 30 minutes at a time due to the small screen. I watched the recent Euro 2012 Finals on my smartphone while away from home. I most certainly use my smartphone as a camera – one less gadget to carry around. At work, before we erase the board of brainstorming content, we typically take a picture and use the e-mail capability of the smartphone to quickly send to all involved parties. This is impossible with someone sitting down and taking notes to type up and distribute later. I use my smartphone as a hotspot for other internet capable devices when needed. I use my smartphone to listen to my audiobooks or music. As a Christian, I use my smartphone as my bible – yes, you can highlight, underline, and bookmark. I don’t have to carry around one pretending to the saved. I use my smartphone to send and receive text messages. My dental office would text me to remind me of an appointment for my kidz or me. I use my smartphone to listen to radios all over the world including childhood favorite stations. I use my smartphone as a CRM tool. I use my smartphone as calculator. I also use my smartphone to capture voice memos. I use my smartphone as a compass. I use my smartphone as a translator. If I’m meeting a client from a different part of the world, I can quickly learn how to say good morning, good afternoon or thank you in their local language. It helps break the ice. I use my smartphone for drafting – I’m sure you are now beginning to scratch your head, but yes I use my smartphone to draft simple layouts. Please check out an app called MagicPlan. My smartphone is also more practical when it comes to meeting reminders than a laptop that you don’t carry around.

I’m sure there are many more reasons, multiples of fives, why you SHOULD purchase a smartphone, soon. If not, but to bridge the technology gap between our young ones.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by aieromon(m): 5:12pm On Jul 16, 2012
You're lucky you a mod or dom. Make I no vex collect ban ontop yeye talk. angry
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Philolos: 5:13pm On Jul 16, 2012
Puskin, if you had a phone 20 years ago, you be senior boy/girl Ooo! There is obviously a technology gap between the younger generation and the older ones. I work in tech and I’m married with kidz. I use my smartphone to access the internet while helping with homework with my kidz in the car - easy access to wiki for fact checking and online dictionary. I use my smartphone to take notes - I still use a paper notepad of course but the notepad on my smartphone is searchable. The paper pad is not. The laptop is bulky and takes a few minutes to boot and all processes launched. I use my smartphone to check the weather which helps my family and me dress accordingly for the day. Living in the west, I use my smartphone to Yelp, to access online maps, to check my bank statement or query if a check has cleared. I use my smartphone to deposit a check. In certain instances, my kidz use my smartphone to play games. I also perceive my smartphone as money, since I’m also in business for myself. I can read documents on the fly with my smartphone. If you happen to be my competitor, you obviously would not be for long.

In addition, I use my smartphone as my backup alarm clock. I use my smartphone to check on traffic delays en route. I read some books on my smartphone – no longer than 30 minutes at a time due to the small screen. I watched the recent Euro 2012 Finals on my smartphone while away from home. I most certainly use my smartphone as a camera – one less gadget to carry around. At work, before we erase the board of brainstorming content, we typically take a picture and use the e-mail capability of the smartphone to quickly send to all involved parties. This is impossible with someone sitting down and taking notes to type up and distribute later. I use my smartphone as a hotspot for other internet capable devices when needed. I use my smartphone to listen to my audiobooks or music. As a Christian, I use my smartphone as my bible – yes, you can highlight, underline, and bookmark. I don’t have to carry around one pretending to the saved. I use my smartphone to send and receive text messages. My dental office would text me to remind me of an appointment for my kidz or me. I use my smartphone to listen to radios all over the world including childhood favorite stations. I use my smartphone as a CRM tool. I use my smartphone as calculator. I also use my smartphone to capture voice memos. I use my smartphone as a compass. I use my smartphone as a translator. If I’m meeting a client from a different part of the world, I can quickly learn how to say good morning, good afternoon or thank you in their local language. It helps break the ice. I use my smartphone for drafting – I’m sure you are now beginning to scratch your head, but yes I use my smartphone to draft simple layouts. Please check out an app called MagicPlan. My smartphone is also more practical when it comes to meeting reminders than a laptop that you don’t carry around.

I’m sure there are many more reasons, multiples of fives, why you SHOULD purchase a smartphone, soon. If not, but to bridge the technology gap between our young ones.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by emsquare(m): 5:14pm On Jul 16, 2012
Disagree with the OP! My smartphone does more functions for me than my Laptop...
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by dljbd1(m): 5:27pm On Jul 16, 2012
rubbish!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by INFO70: 5:48pm On Jul 16, 2012
This thread does not make sense.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by kevotek1000(m): 6:55pm On Jul 16, 2012
Nice talk... But i see no reason why i shouldn't use my smart phone... Though i have a Laptop, dstv and other means of getting informations. I just prefer my smart phone..
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Azidogen2: 7:34pm On Jul 16, 2012
MR PUSKIN SMARTPHONES THESE DAYS BEAT COMPUTERS IN TERMS OF INTERNET SPEED AND MANY MORE. JUST BUY A PHONE WITH BIGGER SCREEN, RAM AND PROCESSOR SPEED YOU WILL SEE. YOUR PROBLEM IS LACK OF CASH.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Basilona(m): 7:59pm On Jul 16, 2012
did u say Good reply?? This is the best riposte yet!

[/quote]
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Basilona(m): 8:01pm On Jul 16, 2012
lafile: My Reply.

Five (Sarcastic)Reasons Why U Do Not Need A Car

1) They’re Expensive with Ongoing Costs
Any way you look at it, cars are expensive.

2) Do You Really Need That Much Mobility in Your Life?
My company has a Staff Bus I can ride to work everyday, my house i near the BRT bus stop, I actually enjoy riding okada. What do I need a car for? If i get stuck in traffic at Mile 12, I can just come down from the bus and take a bike. Can a car owner do that?

3) Not as Convenient as You May Think
In my opinion, cars are not really as convenient as you might imagine. You waste hundreds of man hours with the mechanic, spend early mornings washing the car, and lets not forget the millions of things that can go wrong with a car. Phew!If a bus gets a flat tire, i just come down and take the next bus. Simple.

4) You Could Have a Misperceived Need
Majority of people who have cars think they are a necessity, when in fact they are not.
Forty years ago, most people didn’t even have cars. Even in New York lots of 'Big Boys' rely on the subway to move around. It then stands to reason that if your forefathers made it in life without a car, there’s a good chance that it is not a true necessity in your current life.

5) They are replacing good exercise.
You can hardly see fit people anymore.They spend so much time driving, they don't get the benefits of the good old trek anymore.
Did someone say good reply This is the best riposte yet!!!

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by ndizzle(m): 10:18pm On Jul 16, 2012
you are not only myopic but also an unrepentant illiterate.go and tie wrapper and wonder the bushes of remote village. angry
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by mollie12: 10:22pm On Jul 16, 2012

My company has a Staff Bus I can ride to work everyday, my house i near the BRT bus stop, I actually enjoy riding okada. What do I need a car for? If i get stuck in traffic at Mile 12, I can just come down from the bus and take a bike. Can a car owner do that?

In my opinion, cars are not really as convenient as you might imagine. You waste hundreds of man hours with the mechanic, spend early mornings washing the car, and lets not forget the millions of things that can go wrong with a car. Phew!If a bus gets a flat tire, i just come down and take the next bus. Simple.

Majority of people who have cars think they are a necessity, when in fact they are not.
Forty years ago, most people didn’t even have cars. Even in New York lots of 'Big Boys' rely on the subway to move around. It then stands to reason that if your forefathers made it in life without a car, there’s a good chance that it is not a true necessity in your current life.

You can hardly see fit people anymore.They spend so much time driving, they don't get the benefits of the good old trek anymore.

LOL! I'm thinking up 5 equally sarcastic reasons why we don't need our mobile phones, the internet, our brains, but I think the OP has gotten enough diss for d day.

Like bayoooooo said, you need an android
cheesy

LOL! I'm thinking up 5 equally sarcastic reasons why we don't need our mobile phones, the internet, our brains, but I think the OP has gotten enough diss for d day.

Like bayoooooo said, you need an android
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by franklampard082(m): 10:29pm On Jul 16, 2012
"NIGGA PLEASE" You must be really retarded and deluded to actually make such statements.

200 years ago people went about their biz without cars, does that mean we should do the same?

Smart-phones are actually getting cheaper by the day.e.g the samsung galaxy pocket which is like 19k

If ur 19th century brain doesn't need 24/7 internet access, we in the 21st century actually do.

Maybe u own one small spare parts shop somewhere but some of us actually rely on the internet to get

across to our customers (and I ain't talking yahoo yahoo)

u gave us five reasons not to use a smartphone, but we could give u 500 reasons to get one. (peace)
[color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by franklampard082(m): 10:34pm On Jul 16, 2012
pharuk: @OP
1 REASON NOT TO READ THIS THREAD - - POSTER GOT POVERTY ISSUES..

AGREED
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by samog(m): 11:48pm On Jul 16, 2012
LMAO grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by dont8(m): 12:17am On Jul 17, 2012
This poster called Pussykat must be a bearded Taliban from Afghanistan, this is how they reason over there, something like 5 harams/reasons why girls should not look boys in the face.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by pweetiediva: 10:10am On Jul 17, 2012
Crap!!!!! I use a smartphone en I aint complaining
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by nwanioma(f): 10:27am On Jul 17, 2012
I think the poster simply wants to play devils advocate, and get people talking! Its incredibly stupid to think that smartphones aren't important but the truth is simply that a

SMART PHONE IS ONLY AS SMART AS THE PERSON USING IT!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by terrasynergy: 10:42am On Jul 17, 2012
puskin< what ur beef really, i want to sell my white touch for 20k whose interested,its a 'smartphone' i want to buy another smartphone.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 11:17am On Jul 17, 2012
nwani oma: I think the poster simply wants to play devils advocate, and get people talking! Its incredibly stupid to think that smartphones aren't important but the truth is simply that a

SMART PHONE IS ONLY AS SMART AS THE PERSON USING IT!

GBAM
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 11:20am On Jul 17, 2012
..... cool cool
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 11:20am On Jul 17, 2012
dont8: This poster called Pussykat must be a bearded Taliban from Afghanistan, this is how they reason over there, something like 5 harams/reasons why girls should not look boys in the face.

Instead of saying your opinion or criticism......U go about ranting. **shaking my head**
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Phizzie555(m): 11:27am On Jul 17, 2012
passing ....
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by bonetalk(m): 11:44am On Jul 17, 2012
bayooooooo: The OP needs an Android! grin grin grin
yes, atleast to shut his mouth up. With Android.... Life is good
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by joe4christ(m): 11:54am On Jul 17, 2012
puskin: In this day and age when it seems like almost every week there is another “latest and greatest” technology gadget put out on the market, it can be enticing to jump in and pick one up for yourself.
I have serious doubts that everyone who owns a smart fone is really getting their money’s worth.

Below are some of the reasons why you simply shouldn’t purchase a smartphone:-

Any way you look at it, these mobile devices are expensive.

2) Do You Really Need That Much Technology in Your Life?
I have a PC at home that I can access at any time, and I own a laptop that I can take with me if I need to. I have up-to-the-minute sports scores on my DSTV, as well as up-to-the minute news reports. To be honest with you, I have all the technology that I currently need in my life. I simply do not need the Internet in my pocket 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Do you?

In my opinion, smartphones really aren’t as convenient as you might imagine. No matter what connectivity speed you have, pages load relatively slowly on smartphones, and navigating them is more a nuisance than anything else.

Majority of people who have smartphones think they are a necessity, when in fact they are not.
Twenty years ago, most of us didn’t even have cell phones, and eight years ago, I doubt any of us had smartphones. It then stands to reason that if you made it that far in life without a smartphone, there’s a good chance that it is not a true necessity in your current life.

5) They are replacing human-to-human interaction
You can hardly see individuals (youths especially) looking themselves in the eye and having a mutual decent conversation.

Are u a saddist huh?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by dont8(m): 12:39pm On Jul 17, 2012
Rant? I told you my opinion and mind na, but you dey rant too.
Don't let that head fall-off your neck with that rigorous shaking.
puskin:

Instead of saying your opinion or criticism......U go about ranting. **shaking my head**
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by sinade1(m): 1:10pm On Jul 17, 2012
dont8: Rant? I told you my opinion and mind na, but you dey rant too.
Don't let that head fall-off your neck with that rigorous shaking.

LWKMD
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by sinade1(m): 1:14pm On Jul 17, 2012
puskin:

Did you ask for our opinion? No. You came here to confuse innocent and able users.
grin grin grin grin grin

I advise you go for a REMIX. grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 2:24pm On Jul 17, 2012
sinade1:

Did you ask for our opinion? No. You came here to confuse innocent and able users.
grin grin grin grin grin

I advise you go for a REMIX. grin

Someone don already do the remix.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by popin5(m): 5:08pm On Jul 17, 2012
Not everybody has a pc & a modem, more people own smartfons (handy devices). The impact of smartfons is enormous. Its drawback is d -ve impact in d physical 1 to 1 interactn. If you own a cyber cafe, i undastand your plight.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by yommy2sure(m): 7:04pm On Jul 17, 2012
going through the thread...alll o grabbed a thousand reasons I shld keep my smartphone or get a higher one...thanks @op

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon / 10 Features And Price Of Itel P40 / New Advertisement! Battery Life of Samsung Galaxy S7 Related To A Time Bomb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.