Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,148 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane (13172 Views)

Court Slams N5 Million Fine On EFCC For Violation Of Right / LASTMA Officers Arrest Military,NSCDC Officers Driving On BRT Lane In Lagos(pics / AIT Hate Attacks On Buhari; A Violation Of Ethics And Standards Of Journalism. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by dadde(m): 12:59pm On Jul 19, 2012
miteolu:

[size=16pt]Nigeria is too big for Fashola to handle.[/size]
and too small for Jonathan to handle abi? what was Jonathan's qualification politically b4 he became VP.is Bayelsa bigger than Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by acadasol: 1:05pm On Jul 19, 2012
fuke:

Nonsense.

Soldiers should be respected but first they should respect the law.

What kind of up-sided logic is this? Colonel=governor?

there are generals who never became governor.

However, I want to say that the army should not take this further.

The profuse apology by the colonel is enough atonement for the offense.

Those talking about dismissal are talking gibberish.

You want the colonel to lose his commission for a mere traffic offense.

You all are not serious.

A sergeant should not lose a pip for a traffic offense.
Don't mind them jare. Those talking about dismissal haven't got a job before. if they have one, they will know what DISMISSAL means. At least, the Colonel was apologetic. So, Why can't we reason empathetically?
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by jason123: 1:10pm On Jul 19, 2012
oiseworld:

for the fact that he is on uniform then, he's on duty.

i have said it before and i will say it again, the brt lane should be renamed the emergency lane. For all military men,police,ambulance,governors. And people on special duty.
That was hypocrisy on the part of fashola, when those roads were built, the brt was not considered. Take a look at the ojota/yaba road, it was initially a three lane road and still had serious traffic.i mean Heavy traffic. Now that the brt has come in, most time that lane is left empty with long queues of cars in traffic struggling to share the the remaining two lanes.
looking at the blockage of the third mainland bridge, i would have expected the govnor, to open the brt lane for more road users, but NO, his stubbonness and hypocrisy won't let him.

Lastly, it is the biggest insult on the part of the governor to come and threaten a colonel in the Nigerian Army, On his Nigerian Army Uniform, in an official Nigerian Army Vehicle, in Nigeria for a soo called offence he foolishly put there. Its disrespect like this that call for military take overs. That colonel would have been the governor of Lagos State in a military setting.

I think this issue should be looked into.

If the colonel was right, why was he apologising?! Why was he saying, " I'm sorry. I am sorry sir!" Some of you guys need to be shot! angry
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by jason123: 1:11pm On Jul 19, 2012
miteolu:

Nigeria is too big for Fashola to handle.
[size=16pt]
Likewise, Nigeria is too big for GEJ!!![/size]
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by andyanders: 1:22pm On Jul 19, 2012
The officer showed remorse and should be forgiven. He did not display any form of arrogance. We are all human beings and should learn to forgive.I wonder some kind of people here saying he should be dismissed and other kind of calls. Remember he has children and relatives who depend on him.Nobody here who have not erred in life. We have all sinned or disobeyed laws in one way or the other and were not caught. He is just unlucky that the Governor was within where he committed the offence. He should be allowed to pay fine than to dismiss him. If he had displayed any form of disrespect, then we can now come out here to condemn him.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by oiseworld: 1:24pm On Jul 19, 2012
jason123:

If the colonel was right, why was he apologising?! Why was he saying, " I'm sorry. I am sorry sir!" Some of you guys need to be shot! angry

a senseless law is a senseless law. You can interprete it the way you like. For the sake of reducing excuses for our weak and already lazy officials, like the police and army, you need to remove every possible excuse they might give in cases of neglect/laxity in duty.

Have u ever called the police for something and they tell you it was due to lack of fuel or traffic thats why they couldn't make it untill after the ........ As been committed.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by dont8(m): 1:38pm On Jul 19, 2012
This is a good development, I like the way it turns out, it'll send a positive signal out that if the military can reprimand their own (high ranking officer at that), who the bloody are you when you're caught.

Way to go, am expecting more of it from our leaders. Unfortunately, they'll be the first to break the law they made before we even think of breaking them.

PS: You can't give what you don't have!
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by femionasan(m): 1:47pm On Jul 19, 2012
oiseworld:

a senseless law is a senseless law. You can interprete it the way you like. For the sake of reducing excuses for our weak and already lazy officials, like the police and army, you need to remove every possible excuse they might give in cases of neglect/laxity in duty.

Have u ever called the police for something and they tell you it was due to lack of fuel or traffic thats why they couldn't make it untill after the ........ As been committed.

Please tell me what is senseless about the law? A lane dedicated to transporting Lagosians to and from different destinations, in a city populated with approximately 18million people? What percentage of these 18million people own cars? Dude think things through properly. Now your argument about allowing emergency services preference on that lane makes a whole lot of sense but i will also like you to show me a link to the law guiding the usage of the lane and show us where the omission for emergency services exists.

1 Like

Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by tpia5: 1:57pm On Jul 19, 2012
It seems lagos must constantly be a trailblazer no matter what.

Kudos.

I commend all involved in this matter- Gov Fashola, the erring soldiers, the military bosses and anyone else.

They've all demonstrated great civility and have shown all and sundry the proper way to go about things.

If every part of naija were consistently like this, we would not be in the quandary we are now.

1 Like

Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by ishmael(m): 2:26pm On Jul 19, 2012
The GOC will only call the colonel to his office and ask him to be careful with civilians in power, that's all. Senior officers enjoy some form of immunity in the military. If Fashola had filed a charge and taken the colonel that would have been a different thing cos he must obey court summon. But since it he did not and decided to report the matter to the GOC 81 Div, it means case closed. Do u think in the military a senior officer would disgrace another senior officer because of a mere traffic offence? Why won't senior military officers enjoy some previledges like using the BRT lane when the need arises, especially when they are on uniform? Of what use is the uniform and rank he's putting on? I am asking again, would Fashola do same to the GOC 81 Div or lagos state comm. of police? He is biting more than he can chew jo.

1 Like

Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by olushollys(m): 2:38pm On Jul 19, 2012
miteolu:

[size=16pt]Nigeria is too big for Fashola to handle.[/size]

Tell me na Jona fit handle nigeria or who will
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by Johnap: 2:47pm On Jul 19, 2012
Fasola is over stepping his bound. An army officer should be allowed to take a decision most appropriate for him at any given time and place.If this officers are punished, then the army is no longer army. The army should not be reduced to such level.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by naptu2: 3:37pm On Jul 19, 2012
Double post.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by naptu2: 3:38pm On Jul 19, 2012
Equality before the law is one of the core principles of democracy/rule of law. Unfortunately, we've just emerged from a long period of military rule and it seems some people still have a hang over.

Soldiers and other public officers could be given a leeway when they are on essential duty, particularly when there is an emergency. So, the question is, what emergency could that soldier have been rushing to attend to? Is there a war in Lagos? Would he have apologised profusely if he was rushing to an emergency and acting in the interest of the state?

On V/I I have seen ambulances being waved through, despite the fact that the traffic light was red. This is because they were rushing to save a life. So I ask again, what emergency was the soldier rushing to? Was it in the public interest?

Please read "History of Civil-Military Relations in Nigeria" by Dr Nowa Omoigui.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by frevangel(m): 3:54pm On Jul 19, 2012
And they are going to INVESTIGATE!!! WETIN dem wan investigate again?!!! We have bunch of guys who take the poeple for granted.

The same question I asked concerning Farouk Lawan, why was he not apprehended the same day he stuffed money in his cap or when he came to Otedola's house to pick up cash and so on. Now they are investigating to know if the audio and video recordings were doctored. Soon the story would fade away like others have. Abegi!
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by femionasan(m): 4:21pm On Jul 19, 2012
@ naptu2 Its a serious hang over people have and this is also showing the little exposure some people on here have to what pertains in other climes. No military man is above any law as long as the law was passed on the floor of the state house of assembly and signed into law by the governor. He was not on an emergency so there is no excuse. Some comments make me feel sad and confused. We have an extremely long way to go if some of us think a military officer can do just about anything in this democratic dispensation.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by oiseworld: 4:30pm On Jul 19, 2012
naptu2: Equality before the law is one of the core principles of democracy/rule of law. Unfortunately, we've just emerged from a long period of military rule and it seems some people still have a hang over.

Soldiers and other public officers could be given a leeway when they are on essential duty, particularly when there is an emergency. So, the question is, what emergency could that soldier have been rushing to attend to? Is there a war in Lagos? Would he have apologised profusely if he was rushing to an emergency and acting in the interest of the state?

On V/I I have seen ambulances being waved through, despite the fact that the traffic light was red. This is because they were rushing to save a life. So I ask again, what emergency was the soldier rushing to? Was it in the public interest?

Please read "History of Civil-Military Relations in Nigeria" by Dr Nowa Omoigui.

what other emergency or situation do you want to accord a military officer? Someone who has sighned the death warrant to give his life for his country, and your looking for an emergency. Kai !!
You think on a nomal day i can't protect my self and my family that i would require the service of a policeman on a day to day bases and a military man in war time.

The FACT THAT HE'S A MILITARY MAN ON UNIFORM IS AN EMERGENCY ON ITS OWN.
What other emergency does he require. Maybe if fashola was the president he might start thinking straight, then he would understand what the military is. So i don't blame him, he's thinking like the governor that he is.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by femionasan(m): 4:38pm On Jul 19, 2012
oiseworld:

what other emergency or situation do you want to accord a military officer? Someone who has sighned the death warrant to give his life for his country, and your looking for an emergency. Kai !!
You think on a nomal day i can't protect my self and my family that i would require the service of a policeman on a day to day bases and a military man in war time.

The FACT THAT HE'S A MILITARY MAN ON UNIFORM IS AN EMERGENCY ON ITS OWN.
What other emergency does he require. Maybe if fashola was the president he might start thinking straight, then he would understand what the military is. So i don't blame him, he's thinking like the governor that he is.

Bulls*&t, so cos he is a soldier we he should be allowed to break the law? He is wearing a uniform means its an emergency? What planet are you from guy? The army is meant to protect the sovereignty of a nation from external forces which means protect our land, air and sea borders from foreign aggression. Whatever they do within their barracks is their issue as long as they leave that place they are bound by the laws of the land. Now tell me how this man who i know is an accountant and is not a war veteran nor been to a war on an emergency?
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by oiseworld: 4:41pm On Jul 19, 2012
femionasan:

Please tell me what is senseless about the law? A lane dedicated to transporting Lagosians to and from different destinations, in a city populated with approximately 18million people? What percentage of these 18million people own cars? Dude think things through properly. Now your argument about allowing emergency services preference on that lane makes a whole lot of sense but i will also like you to show me a link to the law guiding the usage of the lane and show us where the omission for emergency services exists.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by oiseworld: 4:52pm On Jul 19, 2012
femionasan:

Bulls*&t, so cos he is a soldier we he should be allowed to break the law? He is wearing a uniform means its an emergency? What planet are you from guy? The army is meant to protect the sovereignty of a nation from external forces which means protect our land, air and sea borders from foreign aggression. Whatever they do within their barracks is their issue as long as they leave that place they are bound by the laws of the land. Now tell me how this man who i know is an accountant and is not a war veteran nor been to a war on an emergency?

this Brt lane issue will happen again,again and again, and will continue to happen as long as that lane remains free most of the time.

Some security organizatioms should be allowed to use it, atleast it will reduce congestion for other road users and moreover, the Brt's still struggle the two lanes left with lagosians most of the time.

Again and again, i didn't say an offence was not committed. I said it should be looked into.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by naptu2: 4:55pm On Jul 19, 2012
Cool! So that's what Fela was talking about.

A soldier has the right to slap anybody he wants to slap, because he's a soldier. He has "signed the death warrant to give his life for his country".

A soldier has the right to pick things up from the shop counter and not pay, because he's a soldier. He has "signed the death warrant to give his life for his country".

A soldier has the right to board public transport without paying, because he's a soldier. He has "signed the death warrant to give his life for his country".

A soldier has the right to hit your car and get away with it, because he's a soldier. He has "signed the death warrant to give his life for his country".

And so on and so forth.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by naptu2: 5:01pm On Jul 19, 2012
Around the world cities are embracing better mass transit options (BRT, Train services, etc) because they are more environmentally friendly, reduce time wasted in traffic jams (+ productivity), etc. Indeed, in some cities, you would be fined for driving your car into the city centre.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by gbadexy(m): 5:08pm On Jul 19, 2012
Fashola tried, but he should pray there is no coup, if the military takes over, he should just leave the country.
The army has good solidarity and long memory.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by naptu2: 5:11pm On Jul 19, 2012
Oops! I forgot one.

A soldier has the right to shoot you and get away with it, because he's a soldier. He has "signed the death warrant to give his life for his country".

I'm not making this up. I've seen these things happen in this country.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by oiseworld: 5:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
naptu2: Around the world cities are embracing better mass transit options (BRT, Train services, etc) because they are more environmentally friendly, reduce time wasted in traffic jams (+ productivity), etc. Indeed, in some cities, you would be fined for driving your car into the city centre.

some cities you said. Roads properly planned out, not this 197x road we're talking about. Yes !! Some cities with more environmenally friendly roads shee ... And we are not talking about those kind of cities here, but same kind of people, with almost similar situations.
Has you govtmnet made provisions for other situational road users or workers.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by cbjonstage(m): 5:23pm On Jul 19, 2012
oiseworld:

this Brt lane issue will happen again,again and again, and will continue to happen as long as that lane remains free most of the time.

Some security organizatioms should be allowed to use it, atleast it will reduce congestion for other road users and moreover, the Brt's still struggle the two lanes left with lagosians most of the time.

Again and again, i didn't say an offence was not committed. I said it should be looked into.

Was he (military officer) on Emergency operation ? if NO, then he shod face the punishment. but if otherwise, they should let him go
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by oiseworld: 5:25pm On Jul 19, 2012
naptu2: Oops! I forgot one.

A soldier has the right to shoot you and get away with it, because he's a soldier. He has "signed the death warrant to give his life for his country".

I'm not making this up. I've seen these things happen in this country.

stop being a joke, you know exactly what am talking about.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by Sheguama: 5:52pm On Jul 19, 2012
Army don yab!!!! If not how cd a Colonel under oath to defend with his blood dis sovereignty be subjected to dis public ridicule on Naija rd in name BRT lane. Nooonnnssseennsseee!!!
GOC what are u guys turning d army into? -It was never so.
Whereas nobody talks when BRT buses leave their own lane to harass motorists on d other already congested lanes. NA wake up n take back d respect u deserve. Can't u rem how many personnel perish even in a month during operations?.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by ijemomo(m): 7:28pm On Jul 19, 2012
I don't support d call for d officers dismissal. Dt would b too harsh. I believe d military v a way of handling such misdemeanour!
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by ishmael(m): 7:47pm On Jul 19, 2012
ijemomo: I don't support d call for d officers dismissal. Dt would b too harsh. I believe d military v a way of handling such misdemeanour!
U think say na so e easy to dismiss senior military officer lik dat? Someone with a presidential commission, to serve and protect nigeria after spending 5 years in NDA? Fashola should just be careful because soldiers are not in any way under him as a civilian. The only civilian they know is their C in C Presido GEJ, meaning he is the only civilian that the soldiers can take directives from, not even the defence minister.
Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by Aarenaija: 10:52pm On Jul 19, 2012
Please no dismissal. A few days in the cell will do. The arrest alone is enough humiliation for a good military officer. cool cool cool

Jettage: Dismissal will be right for these offenders. They become too big in their Uniform assault civilians and intimidate them, they have never fought a war since being engaged as Military. the only war they love is beating helpless citizen who most time leave thing to God.

http://akinbami..com/2012/07/nigerian-solder-typical-case-of-abuse.html

Re: Army Investigates Colonel’s Violation Of BRT Lane by linearity: 12:28am On Jul 20, 2012
The investigation will be conducted around...why he was so dumb to be caught...beyond that, this is last you are going to hear about this.

The guy that made the announcement is a rank below the Colonel and the Major General that is the oga is two ranks above him, they all go to the same officers mess, drink bear and play draft together...they all might even have the same Godfather in central command that pulls all the strings...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rumoured Death: NLC Denies Calling On Buhari To Address the Nation / Why PDP Can't Win Osun Governorship Election. PICS. / PDP Wins Majority Seats In Delta Assembly. PDP 22, APC 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.