Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Flooding In Jos Kills 35 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flooding In Jos Kills 35 (6200 Views)

Heavy Rain Causes Flooding In Kano City (photos) / Pictures Of New Flooding In Benue State!!!! / Flooding In Kogi To Last Till November (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by hardeyincah(m): 11:03pm On Jul 23, 2012
Over five hours of heavy rainfall in Jos, the Plateau state capital has forced the Lamingo dam to overflow, causing flooding that left at least 35 people dead and destroyed or damaged some 200 homes.

Spokesperson of the Red Cross in Plateau State, Manasie Phampe Monday,said so far they have recovered 35 bodies and rescue work is ongoing.

"We have recovered the bodies of 35 people that drowned in the overnight flooding,'' he said, adding that "About 200 homes have either been submerged or destroyed.''

Mr. Phampe said among the victims are a 90-year-old woman and a three-month-old baby, adding that casualty figure is likely to rise.

"Rainwater and water from the Lamingo dam which overflowed swept across several neighbourhoods in the city,'' he explained.

"We are still searching for more bodies as many people have been declared missing.''

Also, an official with National Emergency Management Agency,NEMA in the state, Edward Maigida, said his staff were still trying to compile a list of those missing or killed.

However, the spokesperson for the agency, Yushau Shuaibu, said 21 people have been confirmed dead and 35 others missing.

Mr. Shuaibu said NEMA had already launched a search and rescue operations in the areas affected by the incident.

He said two camps have been opened to provide temporary shelter for displaced persons in Gangare Primary School and Islamiyya Secondary School.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/6178-disaster_hits_jos_as_flood_kills_35.html
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by ZUBY77(m): 10:04am On Jul 24, 2012
Why always Jos ? - Balloteli
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by olavictors(m): 10:09am On Jul 24, 2012
Jooosssiii, aarrrgghh
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by Dhelake: 10:12am On Jul 24, 2012
This Jos sef
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by Ejiekwu1(m): 10:13am On Jul 24, 2012
It seems JOS is cursed land, I stand and wait to be corrected embarassed
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by kunlekunle: 10:16am On Jul 24, 2012
Ejiekwu 1: It seems JOS is cursed land, I stand and wait to be corrected embarassed

jesus our saviour meaning of jos.
the land is blessed

2 Likes

Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by Nobody: 10:17am On Jul 24, 2012
the blood that has been sucked in that jos eh!
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by ebamma(m): 10:18am On Jul 24, 2012
if you live in Jos,there are two things involved,its either you are killed by bokoharam or by flood.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by Nobody: 10:19am On Jul 24, 2012
God have mercy on Jos.and on Nigeria too...I dont now why the city is always plagued with misfortunes.I thin the F.G should unban the emergency status in the state
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by kagel: 10:21am On Jul 24, 2012
kunlekunle:

the land is blessed
WHY QUOTE WHAT U CAN NOT DEFINE
WHAT IS THE MEANING PLATEAU STATE
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by sholatech(m): 10:27am On Jul 24, 2012
Following what media writes about Jos seems to me that they like showing JOS in crisis. Most of the news should have been PLATEAU STATE, not JOS.
when fulanis attack Barkin-Ladi or Riyom( villages in plateau state but not JOS-the capital), they say JOS. Saw on AIT now that the flood was in Gindiri..which i think should be about 2-3hours awaw from JOS.

Just like flood is in Badagry and then relatives call someone in VI to know if he was affected by the flood.

My condolence to the families of the affected. Now i will take NIMET serious..they made mention of some parts of Plateau State..so i also need tell my friends in Maryland to take Fashola serious about the flood threat due to NIMET Weather forecast.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by tonyx4x44(m): 10:29am On Jul 24, 2012
ZUBY77: Why always Jos ? - Balloteli
everytime?
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by Afam4eva(m): 10:32am On Jul 24, 2012
Jos don suffer oo. Haba.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by omicron(m): 10:32am On Jul 24, 2012
May the souls of the departed through the mercy of God rest in peace.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by Cyberconnect12: 10:32am On Jul 24, 2012
Dhelake: This Jos sef
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by KenJak(m): 10:33am On Jul 24, 2012
Poor government and lack of good leaders,if not,flooding and bomb&gun attack of the Boko Haram should not have now been the only two sources of death and destruction in Nigeria, and so far,none of these shameless leaders has ever been affected.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by JERRYAVICER4U(m): 10:33am On Jul 24, 2012
hooo what an disaster, may there soul rest in peace.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by Dejohnbull: 10:40am On Jul 24, 2012
Home of peace & tourism. God wil alwayz help u, Jos.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by noble84: 10:45am On Jul 24, 2012
I GUESS THEY ARE PAYING FOR THE RECENT BLOODSHED IN THE STATE.GOD OF VENGEANCE I GUESS
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by idowuswap: 10:46am On Jul 24, 2012
Useless state always killing...bad things happen 2 them..rubbish peeps..thas why all of dem run come our yorubaland lagos. ibadan.ogun.....huuuuuuuu

1 Like

Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by Dhelake: 10:46am On Jul 24, 2012
kunlekunle:

the land is blessed
if datz watz caused blessed den i had rather stay unblessed
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by mrperfect(m): 10:48am On Jul 24, 2012
Sad for the country.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by brownlord: 10:48am On Jul 24, 2012
OMG, and I have an interview by 12, please can any good mathematician tell me the presnt population of Nigeria, I don't want to fail my interview...lol, but was thinking God promise Noah never to destroy the word again wit water? Oh it does not apply to Nigeria....fucking country, one is sure of one tragedy everyday as far as u in Nigeria...useless leaders have no value for the people, no
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by frmglorytoglory: 10:56am On Jul 24, 2012
so sad
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by Nobody: 11:02am On Jul 24, 2012
whats wrong with some of u? where doesnt natural disasters occur,must u comment angry
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by ASOROCKb(m): 11:11am On Jul 24, 2012
Gaiden k: whats wrong with some of u? where doesnt natural disasters occur,must u comment angry
You mean, it cant be prevented. Kkkkklllll
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by Calebsy07: 11:12am On Jul 24, 2012
Lord ve mercy and deliver Jos, must everything happen in Jos?.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by brianromel(m): 11:13am On Jul 24, 2012
Lawyers where are you, there is money to be made here and a class action suit.
People of Lamingo area vs the Dam owners. For not informing people in time the leave ther houses,since they where gonna open the floor gates, and for failing to warn people in time when the floor rose against the gate.

Abi una no want strike hard at those fools.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by AngelofValor: 11:23am On Jul 24, 2012
kunlekunle:

the land is blessed
FYM ooo. Only FYM.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 24, 2012
Its a natural disaster, it has nothing to do specifically with Jos.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by Hydy(m): 11:58am On Jul 24, 2012
..There's always death in Jos shaa, either by Sword or by Flood'..na wa 0oo
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills 35 by pembisco(m): 12:25pm On Jul 24, 2012
Boko haram @work,mtchew!

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Buhari Still Doing In London? / Lol. Yusuf Buhari Madness Continues... Photos / SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.