Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,301 members, 7,815,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 (18858 Views)

How To Unbrick Your Verizon Gs3 SCH_1535 / Samsung Gs3 / Htc One X+ Vs Samsung Gs3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:54am On Aug 03, 2012
jedisco:
Finally comparing my analogy to 3310 [b]ain't so intelligent. [/b]The problem I've been trying to point out is that more specs doesn't necessarily mean better performance when comparing two different OS just the same way a higher capacity battery doesn't mean better battery backup when also comparing two OS

Up till this moment this convo has been civil, which is why i have continued participating and enjoying it.

now you wanna take it to the gutter, are you a GEJ 40 laptop member? cuz this is their modus operandi when arguments are not going smoothly

Now, to the point about the 3310, why is it not valid? you do know there is some sort of OS on the 3310?

You have severally said that the user experience is the key factor as to why the Lumia is better than the SGS3

you have also said that the fact that SGS 3 has better specs, or more apps are not definitive of its superiority

You also said that the performance of the phone is primary even tho you have presented nothing to actually demonstrate that the lumia outperforms the SGS 3

following your logic, i have used the 3310 as an example. it offers WORLD CLASS USER EXPERIENCE. there is no phone in the world that is FASTER, SMOOTHER, RESPONSIVE than the 3310 grin grin grin

SO also, the apps and specs on the SGS 3 dont matter na going by your postulation. afterall its not about the specs and apps, moreover i have all the apps i need on the 3310. have you ever met a 3310 user complaining about his phone?

and performance, even in this regard 3310 outperforms any fone.

SO WHY IS MY ANALOGY UNINTELLIGENT? I FOLLOWED YOUR ARGUMENT TEMPLATE, and came to the conclusion that the 3310 is BETTER THAN THE SGS 3, just like you say LUmia is better than SGS 3!!!

anyways i think im done.

STart another more interesting thread, this one is now boring
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by joanana(f): 10:49am On Aug 03, 2012
Finally, S3 wins!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by Nobody: 8:16am On Aug 04, 2012
Yup. The King always wins.

joanana: Finally, S3 wins!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 10:03am On Aug 04, 2012
4llerbuntu: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4238&idPhone2=4578

[size=14pt]SALIENT DIFFERENCES[/size]

SAMSUNG I9300 GALAXY S III
vs NOKIA LUMIA 900

LTE (regional)

NOKIA LUMIA 900
---------------

Weight 133 g

NOKIA LUMIA 900
160 g

Touch-sensitive controls

NOKIA LUMIA 900
---------------

Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
720 x 1280 pixels, 4.8 inches (~306 ppi pixel density)

NOKIA LUMIA 900
AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
480 x 800 pixels, 4.3 inches (~217 ppi pixel density)

Corning Gorilla Glass 2

NOKIA LUMIA 900
Corning Gorilla Glass

microSD, up to 64 GB,

NOKIA LUMIA 900
No

16/32/64 GB storage, 1 GB RAM

NOKIA LUMIA 900
16GB storage, 512 MB RAM

HSDPA, 21 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps

NOKIA LUMIA 900
HSDPA, 42 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps

Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot

NOKIA LUMIA 900
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n

NFC Yes

NOKIA LUMIA 900
----------------------

microUSB v2.0 (MHL), USB On-the-go

NOKIA LUMIA 900
microUSB v2.0

8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
Simultaneous HD video and image recording, geo-tagging,
touch focus, face and smile detection, image stabilization

NOKIA LUMIA 900
8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, dual-LED flash
Geo-tagging

Video 1080p@30fps
Secondary 1.9 MP, 720p@30fps

NOKIA LUMIA 900
720p@30fps, video stabilization
1 MP, VGA@15fps

CPU Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9

GPU Mali-400MP[/b]

NOKIA LUMIA 900
1.4 GHz Scorpion
Adreno 205

is this the same one in the iphone? @ texazzpete

Standard battery, Li-Ion 2100 mAh
Stand-by Up to 590 h (2G) / Up to 790 h (3G) )
Talk time Up to 21 h 40 min (2G) / Up to 11 h 40 min (3G)

NOKIA LUMIA 900
Standard battery, Li-Ion 1830 mAh (BP-6EW)
Stand-by Up to 300 h (2G) / Up to 300 h (3G)
Talk time Up to 7 h (2G) / Up to 7 h (3G)
Music play Up to 60 h

Battery life 43h endurance rating

NOKIA LUMIA 900
38h endurance rating

- MicroSIM card support only
- S-Voice natural language commands and dictation
- Smart Stay eye tracking -
- Dropbox (50 GB storage)
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- TV-out (via MHL A/V link)
- SNS integration
- MP4/DivX/XviD/WMV/H.264/H.263 player
- MP3/WAV/eAAC+/AC3/FLAC player
- Organizer
- Image/video editor
- Document viewer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF)
- Google Search, Maps, Gmail,
YouTube, Calendar, Google Talk, Picasa integration
- Voice memo/dial/commands
Predictive text input (Swype)

NOKIA LUMIA 900
- MicroSIM card support only
- SNS integration
- [s]Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic[/s]
- MP3/WAV/eAAC+/WMA player
- MP4/H.264/H.263/WMV player
- Document viewer/editor
- Video/photo editor
- Voice memo/command/dial
- Predictive text input

You remind me of my old self when I was still new to the smartphone world and the best way of comparing different devices was to run to the spec sheet. Now I look at a host of other things when making comparisons.
One way is to look at specs when most of them mean absolutely nothing practically while another is to look at the users satisfaction from the device in totality.

Before I look into your gsmarena spec sheet, let me point out something to you.

Lumia and wp is relatively new so most people using them now have used recent android or iphone devices. So the issue of fanboyism is almost absent.

Have you ever bothered to see reviews of lumia?
Have you ever wondered why it is the top user rated phone?
Have you ever wondered why former android and iphone users are so taken by this device?
Have you wondered why users describe it as one of the smoothest, fastest, easy to use devices around?

I used to think wp was still immature until I saw the 101 reasons not to buy lumia. I did some more research and was struck that everyone who used the device was like wow (same goes for N9). Since then, I've closely followed this device.

When I compare devices, my top point is usually user opinion and ratings. This is better when looking at a new os than at an old one where fan boys abound.

I have not used the Nokia N9 but would personally select it over most high-end android devices cos everyone that has used it always says they prefer the swipe ui over anything out there even though it was declared dead before arrival by Nokia. Now that is user satisfaction.
I've bought alot of Nokia products before with alot of hardware I never used so now I focus on the satisfaction I derive from the phone which to me encompasses everything.

You can continue with your spec sheet comparison but alot of things on a phone are not found on the spec sheet. Moreover, it seems you left out everything going for the lumia. Although I don't want to go into a comparison, let me point out a few of your misconceptions on parts of a device I consider important.

1. Screen- Lumia may have a lower resolution, but this is spread over a smaller screen size. The screen of lumia uses RGB layout which is better than pentile used on s3. Most importantly you forgot clear black display which offers awesome viewing in bright lighting rather than your screen turning into a mirror.

2. Hard Memory- will only consider it an issue if 16GB is not enough for me on a phone.

3. Ram and processor- lumia 900 runs smother than the competition which is what I consider important not written down specs.

4. Battery capacity- too close to call. From user reviews, they both last a day of good usage.

5. Size- more of a personal preference, but I prefer the size of lumia 900. Atleast it can fit into my pocket.

Lastly, if you really want to do a comparison also put up the strong points of lumia which are obviously missing.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 10:04am On Aug 04, 2012
4llerbuntu:

Aww shucks. remember this is a public forum and quite a number of folks have been reading up.

kinda try sticking to not shifting the goalpost this late in the convo

Go back and read this from page 1 where people have asked me to do a comparison or state which is better and I explicitly said NO. So this is not a matter of shifting goal posts

I have always said I'm here to correct lies and misconceptions and not do a comparison or state which is better. I would only do that if the op states what he wants from a device

What attracted me to this thread was when walcom put up a bag of lies and went on to call the device a superior feature phone.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 10:10am On Aug 04, 2012
4llerbuntu:

Please name 5 of these xbox compatible games. and explain how it works. do you mirror them from the xbox? play them through a service like OnLive how? i dont understand

are they the same things that are on xbox that you play on the Lumia? or just the mobile versions?

if they are the mobile version, do you know practically every major release game on playstastion and xbox are available on android in mobile format? and also a whole lotta exclusives that even Iphone has before android?

does the Lumia even have Angry Birds yet?

So if Both Platforms havelotsa great games, but Android has more= then on that point, the Lumia cannot be better no?

Ditto Apps. matter of fact on the Apps issue, its pretty subjective. However, fact remains that there is an app for every type of person on android, from geeks to casual users.
But on the Lumia that is not the case. on this point also Android wins no?

I expect that if we're to make an argument, you should do some work and not allow me spoon-feed you.

Wp has xbox live support which not only gives access to a whole number of unique games but more importantly a gaming world. A place where you can easily interact and play games with people around the globe.

Its not about the number of games but the experience. It gives you a gaming world. Its like comparing a broomstick to a full broom. If you ever used N-Gage you would understand.

Before you get to the app issue lets not forget that you have unfinished business on the symbian vs android app thread. Also consider symbian has fewer apps.
Moreover its a known fact that apps look better and are of better quality on wp than on android especially because of the tile presentation. Google could help you here.

Now for your list of xbox games, look at this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_games_on_Windows_Phone
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 10:14am On Aug 04, 2012
4llerbuntu:

For this: here is your answer http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/windows-phone-8-release-date-and-latest-details-1065086

All Windows Phone 7 apps will run on Windows Phone 8 handsets; but in future developers will have to choose whether to make an app that only uses Windows Phone 7 features and works on both, or one that uses Windows Phone 8.

This means supporting features like Wallet, VOIP, native code or being able to run navigation in the background (which should mean we finally see some full-featured turn-by-turn navigation apps that go beyond what Nokia Drive offers).

There are other advantages, but with the interfaces to components like graphics, audio and sensors being far more similar to those in Windows 8, it's a lot easier to write Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 apps that share features.

Or, of course, they can make two versions, one for 7 and one for 8; how often that happens is going to depend both on how easy Microsoft makes it to share code between versions of apps in its developer tools and on sales of Windows Phone 8 handsets.

We are talking of the present not the future.
Future, apps may not work on current devices be it lumia, android or iphone. It happens everywhere.

Let me also bring it to your notice that Nokia will continue to release new wp 7 devices together with wp 8. Infact Samsung just released a wp 7.5 device last week.
Also Nokia has promises to continue porting non-hardware features of wp8 to this device for some time.

Some of the things you say are very annoying. First it was that there is no Youtube app on wp, now its about angry birds next it would be Facebook or twitter app. You should search well before posting.

So stop copying and pasting stuff you don't understand. You should be more worried about the fragmentation on android.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 10:19am On Aug 04, 2012
4llerbuntu:

You do understand the difference between the OEM's needs and work and what stock android brings?

Cuz you kinda like seem to think that what comes on every android is the same.
for example the nexus line is pure android without OEM customizations.

incidentally, in previous iterations of android, the OEM's "improvements" caused a whole lot of performance issues such that people tried Cyanogenmod or Stock Android on their Phones instead. AND IT WORKED LIKE A DREAM.

matter of fact, i can tell you confidently that stock android 2.2 will outperform the OS on Lumia.

Now if the OEM decide to bump specs to accomodate their rubbish bloatware, how does that degrade the platform? Its practically like running damn slow and buggy app on your phone, and the trying to run other stuff with it......

You conveniently forget that on the LUMIA there is very little room for OEM manipulation.

Coming back to your point, it is a FACT that ICS and JELLYBEAN outperform WP7 anyday anytime.
Ironically, even with the samsung bloatware, it suffers no ill effect and IS FASTER AND BETTER THAN THE LUMIA IN PERFORMANCE.

so where did you get this talk about not optimizing the OS?

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT THE INTERNATIONAL VERSION OF SGS 3 which i posted its specs above has 1GB RAM, same as is on the SGS 2. its specific carrier versions that have varying specs according to what the carrier wanted. go to GSMARENA and check the specs of the various version of SGS 3.

So if its faster than SGS 2, was the OS optimized or not? STOP SPREADING FUD NA

Are you so much of a fanboy that you bluntly deny the truth?
It seems as though you believe that android is the best at everything?
Well I pay to use these devices and not vice versa so when I see the truth I say it.
I can list very valid points where symbian, bb or iphone outperform your super android device.

The fact that android is open source and allows OEMs to add bloatware for the sole purpose of increasing specs and selling new devices not necessarily for performance. Now this is a very very big disadvantage to android.

I have followed this os for over 6months and you're the first person saying this. All over the web its its very clear (even from android users) that wp is much more faster, smoother and easier to use and has better looking apps than any android device ever made.

There are thousands of reviews that keep saying this os can only be compared to ios and you are the first person saying this.

Even Samsungs on s-voice and apples siri proclaimed it the best phone.

If you cannot see plain facts then I may just leave you to your fanboyism.

Remember you ran from the android vs symbian thread only to come here and start with this.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 10:20am On Aug 04, 2012
4llerbuntu:

I refer you o my previous post above to answer this question on why the performance differs.

AND LEST YOU FORGET THIS DISCUSSION IS [size=14pt](Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900)[/size]

Not any other android and Lumia.

why do you keep trying to shift the goalpost to pad your weak arguments? LOOK AT THE FRIGGING TOPIC NA.

YOU CLAIM THE LUMIA IS A MATCH OR EVEN BETTER THAN THE SGS 3, A Lot of people have said you are wrong, and you are trying to argue why and how you are right!!. thats what this is supposed to be.

if you are no longer up to it, just quit posting

I've always said that specs mean nothing if they cannot be transferred to everyday usage. So please stop all this ram stuff and tell me about its performance.

Go back and start reading this thread from page one and see my line of argument. I have never said which device is better but that if you think anyone is better give reasons and not lies.

So stop trying to put words into my mouth. My posts are all clear for everyone to see.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 10:23am On Aug 04, 2012
4llerbuntu:

You know what, Texazzpete is not an authority on anything! i say this because you seem to be taken in by his brighter grammar approach to posting tech thing on NL.

That said, you say android DOES NOT MULTITASK? tex, see what you have caused?

im not going to waste my time, on this point you definitely do not know what you are talking about. whats the processes or services FUD? what is the APP, and what actually runs? delete that post pls.

for the spectators. kindly do this on your pc, start three applications. then start task manager, check the processes tab. im sure you will see processes for the apps there.
now kill them, and check. they are gone no?

Now start any application like yahoo messenger that requires you to quit the application completely, close it via the x button. it still resides in your task bar, and when you check the task manager the process is still alive even though its not immediately visible and you have to go into the taskbar to bring it up. now in that state you continue receiving pings and what have you.

Now compare this to what Jedisco just put up there. now following his logic that "Android does not do this. It simply runs processes or services in the background (under strict modifications) while freezing the app and showing you a panel of recently used apps." I guess that means windows does not multitask too abi? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

[size=14pt]In any case, does Lumia runs processes or services in the background (under strict modifications) while freezing the app? can you skype, and chat via messenger, and download a file in the downloader at the same time?[/size]

The SGS 3 sure can do that

What is it between you and tex?
Have you ever seen me on any android or iphone thread? I am just really encountering him for the first time on this thread so you should stick to the post.

Coming to multitasking what you have on android is a pity when compared to symbian. If I call that of symbian true then that of android is definitely not true.

Why not start by telling me why some apps do not support multitasking on android until they are re-written. Also try and see if there is and of such on symbian.

But before doing that go back and find out how android and symbian multitask. Also find out how apps run on devices. It would do you a whole lot of good.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 10:34am On Aug 04, 2012
4llerbuntu:

Up till this moment this convo has been civil, which is why i have continued participating and enjoying it.

now you wanna take it to the gutter, are you a GEJ 40 laptop member? cuz this is their modus operandi when arguments are not going smoothly

Now, to the point about the 3310, why is it not valid? you do know there is some sort of OS on the 3310?

You have severally said that the user experience is the key factor as to why the Lumia is better than the SGS3

you have also said that the fact that SGS 3 has better specs, or more apps are not definitive of its superiority

You also said that the performance of the phone is primary even tho you have presented nothing to actually demonstrate that the lumia outperforms the SGS 3

following your logic, i have used the 3310 as an example. it offers WORLD CLASS USER EXPERIENCE. there is no phone in the world that is FASTER, SMOOTHER, RESPONSIVE than the 3310 grin grin grin

SO also, the apps and specs on the SGS 3 dont matter na going by your postulation. afterall its not about the specs and apps, moreover i have all the apps i need on the 3310. have you ever met a 3310 user complaining about his phone?

and performance, even in this regard 3310 outperforms any fone.

SO WHY IS MY ANALOGY UNINTELLIGENT? I FOLLOWED YOUR ARGUMENT TEMPLATE, and came to the conclusion that the 3310 is BETTER THAN THE SGS 3, just like you say LUmia is better than SGS 3!!!

anyways i think im done.

STart another more interesting thread, this one is now boring

User experience is the most important factor as it considers everything a device has from specs to apps to looks e.t.c

Your better specs should be translated to everyday usage before we consider them.

Wp has better looking higher quality apps. Its all online for you to see. On android its mainly bloatware and trash and the few good ones are highly fragmented so that you always have to keep waiting for an update that may never come.

As for your 3310 analogy, its not worth a reply until you start giving practical reasons why you think s3 is better and not just a spec sheet
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 10:35am On Aug 04, 2012
joanana: Finally, S3 wins!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin

Not so fast.
I've been into alot of phone arguments on other sites and on this forum and have never lost any. This certainly won't be the first.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by bily(m): 11:06am On Aug 04, 2012
Interesting thread. What amazes me though is people that are arguing about phones they have not used extensively.most of us are basing our opinions on online reviews like jedisco, or 4Ller who has used Android extensively but can't say the same of windows phone.

If you want to compare phones or argue, please do so based on your own personal EXTENSIVE use. 4ller drop Android as your primary phone and use lumia for some months same goes for jedisco, leave your symbian world as a primary device and pick up Android to use as a primary phone then we can listen to you guys.

I do agree that texx no Sabi everything but his say is more credible cos he has used some of these devices for lengthy periods. I will listen to him NOW when he begins to compare iPhone vs S3 unlike way back when he was just a bloody iPhone fan without extensive use of Android. ;-)
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 2:20pm On Aug 04, 2012
bily: Interesting thread. What amazes me though is people that are arguing about phones they have not used extensively.most of us are basing our opinions on online reviews like jedisco, or 4Ller who has used Android extensively but can't say the same of windows phone.

If you want to compare phones or argue, please do so based on your own personal EXTENSIVE use. 4ller drop Android as your primary phone and use lumia for some months same goes for jedisco, leave your symbian world as a primary device and pick up Android to use as a primary phone then we can listen to you guys.

I do agree that texx no Sabi everything but his say is more credible cos he has used some of these devices for lengthy periods. I will listen to him NOW when he begins to compare iPhone vs S3 unlike way back when he was just a bloody iPhone fan without extensive use of Android. ;-)

Yes you have a point.
I never planned to post on this page until I saw people posting ridiculous lies. My plan was just to correct some of those lies. Since this is a device I've followed for sometime and should have bought if not for it unavailability locally and it not being upgradeable to wp8.

That is one of the reasons why I don't want to state which is better or do a full comparison but will rather focus on correcting lies. I would have had better points if I had used the device but even without using it, I am still giving them alot of clarifications.

Also this is the 21st century. You can get information about anything with just a simple search.

I don't buy phones to test them. I buy them because I believe they will suite my needs. Since I like buying phones within 3 months of their release there is no other way for me to check them up. I always knew how every part of any phone was going to behave before I bought it- from startup to shutdown.

I not new to the smartphone world. I've used an apple device (which I jailbroke and tweaked up), I've used android devices (though I've not owned any) and I'm one of the few people left still very good with symbian. So when I look up a device, I know exactly what I'm looking for.

In summary, like I said I'm not here to state which is better or do a review but to correct obvious and annoying lies from people who think the os they use is the best at everything.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by LordReed(m): 4:15pm On Aug 04, 2012
@jedisco
Yes we accept that you don't want to make a call on any of the phones however allow those of us willing to do so to make the call.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 04, 2012
I have USED One X, SGS3 b4 it was launched, lumia 900, 808 PV,
Hiphone4GS etc.

ALL NA GRAMMAR.

Galaxy S3 is da Standard bearer, Flagship and Pathfinder 4 all Smartphone.

Lumia 900 is a high grade superior feature phone. It is on same level Like Asha series which nokia calls smartphone,

jedisco:

Yes you have a point.
I never planned to post on this page until I saw people posting ridiculous lies. My plan was just to correct some of those lies. Since this is a device I've followed for sometime and should have bought if not for it unavailability locally and it not being upgradeable to wp8.

That is one of the reasons why I don't want to state which is better or do a full comparison but will rather focus on correcting lies. I would have had better points if I had used the device but even without using it, I am still giving them alot of clarifications.

Also this is the 21st century. You can get information about anything with just a simple search.

I don't buy phones to test them. I buy them because I believe they will suite my needs. Since I like buying phones within 3 months of their release there is no other way for me to check them up. I always knew how every part of any phone was going to behave before I bought it- from startup to shutdown.

I not new to the smartphone world. I've used an apple device (which I jailbroke and tweaked up), I've used android devices (though I've not owned any) and I'm one of the few people left still very good with symbian. So when I look up a device, I know exactly what I'm looking for.

In summary, like I said I'm not here to state which is better or do a review but to correct obvious and annoying lies from people who think the os they use is the best at everything.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by LordReed(m): 5:53pm On Aug 04, 2012
@aze
Stop calling the Lumia 900 a feature phone (no need to give a dog a bad name).
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 5:34am On Aug 05, 2012
Lord_Reed: @jedisco
Yes we accept that you don't want to make a call on any of the phones however allow those of us willing to do so to make the call.

I have absolutely no problem with that. Moreover, many people have done that on this thread already without any interference.
However, if you decide to do a comparison, you should get your facts right or if you're looking for negatives in one device, then they should be valid.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 5:51am On Aug 05, 2012
aze: I have USED One X, SGS3 b4 it was launched, lumia 900, 808 PV,
Hiphone4GS etc.

ALL NA GRAMMAR.

Galaxy S3 is da Standard bearer, Flagship and Pathfinder 4 all Smartphone.

Lumia 900 is a high grade superior feature phone. It is on same level Like Asha series which nokia calls smartphone,

A fanboy will always be a fanboy
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
hehehe, this has to be the strangest debate ever.

i dont use a lumia, i will NEVER buy a lumia.
that said i have both phones in close proximity, i have friends, colleagues, gf who actually buy and use this this things, and always come lto me for stuff.

that said. why is it that you type so much without saying anything? i ask you direct questions but you say so much without a single direct answer!!!

for a person who dont have a lumia, you KNOW FOR A FACT IT RUNS BETTER THAN A SGS3?

When i post specs, you say im posting off the net, am i supposed to manufacture specs offhand?

i try to structure this argument, but you keep going wide and introducing fallacies. PRODUCE JUST ONE INDEPENDENT REVIEW THAT RATES THE LUMIA BETTER!!!

then all your bull abt specs, thats how you lie abt the ram, when actually the ram stayed the same from sgs 2 to sgs 3.

tell us why d lumia is better, you say because of user experience etc. THATS OF A FONE YOU DONT USE O.
ok give us an example of another more learned independent opinion that says its better, you say online stuff is not valid.

u make assertions like d wp apps one or the multitasking one, i adopt the layman perspective coupled with hard tech facts, you refer me to symbian. are we discussing symbian v android?

like i said, this convo is done. continue deceiving yourself. incidentally even tex, your authority, does not align to your notion anyway.
then on the symbian thread i never joined d debate so nothing to finish. that one is a non-starter. if the company that owns symbian could publicly drop it and adopt another platform to.compete with ios and android, then i wonder what you are arguing. symbian is superior abi? SMH
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by jedisco(m): 11:44pm On Aug 05, 2012
4llerbuntu: hehehe, this has to be the strangest debate ever.

i dont use a lumia, i will NEVER buy a lumia.
that said i have both phones in close proximity, i have friends, colleagues, gf who actually buy and use this this things, and always come lto me for stuff.

that said. why is it that you type so much without saying anything? i ask you direct questions but you say so much without a single direct answer!!!

for a person who dont have a lumia, you KNOW FOR A FACT IT RUNS BETTER THAN A SGS3?

When i post specs, you say im posting off the net, am i supposed to manufacture specs offhand?

i try to structure this argument, but you keep going wide and introducing fallacies. PRODUCE JUST ONE INDEPENDENT REVIEW THAT RATES THE LUMIA BETTER!!!

then all your bull abt specs, thats how you lie abt the ram, when actually the ram stayed the same from sgs 2 to sgs 3.

tell us why d lumia is better, you say because of user experience etc. THATS OF A FONE YOU DONT USE O.
ok give us an example of another more learned independent opinion that says its better, you say online stuff is not valid.

u make assertions like d wp apps one or the multitasking one, i adopt the layman perspective coupled with hard tech facts, you refer me to symbian. are we discussing symbian v android?

like i said, this convo is done. continue deceiving yourself. incidentally even tex, your authority, does not align to your notion anyway.
then on the symbian thread i never joined d debate so nothing to finish. that one is a non-starter. if the company that owns symbian could publicly drop it and adopt another platform to.compete with ios and android, then i wonder what you are arguing. symbian is superior abi? SMH

Since you're never going to use a lumia is best you refrain from discussions concerning it. Lumia 900 hasn't been released in Nigeria. So if you're in Nigeria its very very unlikely you have even seen this device (which is evident from your claim of lack of Youtube and angry birds apps). I will take it that you've neither seen it or have you ever been interested.

I have always answered questions directly. Also I don't depend on any single review to make my decision. But if you're looking for one that rates lumia favourably, almost everyone I've seen does that.

I referred to symbian to make you see that no os has it all or is even close to that yet.

If you have issues with tex sort it out. That our views coincide here does not mean I know the guy. Moreover, I've not used any of his quotes in replying you. I'm really encountering him for the 1st time here and from my posts I'm far from a starter.

FYI Nokia has never said they're dropping symbian. Accenture will continue its development until atleast 2016 and maybe more.

Lastly, it may surprise you if I told you the device I personally prefer between them. If we were to switch roles, I would dismiss this in a single post (just like I'm about to do). I like people being truthful and straight and knowledgeable when making such comparisons.
Your best point about a device shouldn't necessarily be about looking for faults in its rivals but rather showing its strong points

If you're still looking for strong points of lumia, maybe you should consider these:
-Looks: especially when its the most beautiful smartie and has won several awards to that effect.
-OS: especially when its amazingly beautiful, easy to use and really fast and smooth.
App and game support: especially when it has the best exclusive apps that cannot be duplicated on others like Nokia maps and xbox live support.
-Price: especially when it offers so much for so little.
-Practical hardware: especially when it offers the best outdoor readability by a very wide margin.

In summary, you may see one as the most powerful, the other as the best for you or one of them as being the most powerful and the best. Its all about what you want and consider useful in a device.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by puskin: 3:42am On Aug 06, 2012
Ah ah............una fingers no dey pain una for dis argument.

If to say I b noob for NL now, I would be thinking the fone giants are paying u guys to argue their case out.

Mscheeeeeeeeeeeew
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by emteecve(m): 7:29am On Aug 06, 2012
really learning a lot bout fones. Tanx guys
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by omodapson(m): 8:20am On Aug 06, 2012
4llerbuntu:

there is the crux of the matter.

its not by mere specs listing.

but the part where you have also missed the boat is: Don't be deceived, go for functionality

where and in what area is the LUMIA more functional than the SGS 3?

i dont want rhetoric. i have both phones in close proximity. i don't own a LUMIA, (not that foolish with my money) but i am staring at one here as i type. i also have access to the SGS 3, and i also own two other android phones (very conversant with that platform)

Can you or anybody kindly point out where and how the LUMIA is better than the SGS 3 or even 2 (lets drop the bar kindly) in functionality!

i put up a large list a few posts back. refute it.
matter of fact, the few WP mango phones that managed to overcome some of those flaws like sd card, equalizer, were manufacturer improvements by HTC.

unfortunately, the NOKIA ones are pure MS stock.

[size=18pt]POINT OUT THE FUNCTIONS THAT LUMIA TRUMPS SGS WITH[/size]

E be like say this my guy no understand english o. Abeg read my post again and respond appropriately. Did I even say which phone was better? I only advised ops to go for phone that suits his need. Next time, don't argue blindly.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:36am On Aug 06, 2012
omodapson:

E be like say this my guy no understand english o. Abeg read my post again and respond appropriately. Did I even say which phone was better? I only advised ops to go for phone that suits his need. Next time, don't argue blindly.

Funny thing is i marvel at your reasoning. to think that i agreed with your post and even bolded the only part i disagreed with

in your post did you not say : [size=14pt]"Don't be deceived, go for functionality"[/size]

in making this reference, did you NOT mean that the Lumia was more functional? and was it not solely on this point i challenged you to highlight where and how it is?

or are you now saying you meant SGS3 was more functional?

incase y'all still dont get, this thread is about a direct comparison of both phones = Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900

There is no Good Samaritan, unbiased ish here, when you post, it pre-supposes that you are in support of one camp.

so in summary, my apologies if you are "feeling vexed" but which phone is in your opinion "more functional"
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by joanana(f): 9:43am On Aug 06, 2012
jedisco:

Since you're never going to use a lumia is best you refrain from discussions concerning it. Lumia 900 hasn't been released in Nigeria. So if you're in Nigeria its very very unlikely you have even seen this device (which is evident from your claim of lack of Youtube and angry birds apps). I will take it that you've neither seen it or have you ever been interested.

I have always answered questions directly. Also I don't depend on any single review to make my decision. But if you're looking for one that rates lumia favourably, almost everyone I've seen does that.

I referred to symbian to make you see that no os has it all or is even close to that yet.

If you have issues with tex sort it out. That our views coincide here does not mean I know the guy. Moreover, I've not used any of his quotes in replying you. I'm really encountering him for the 1st time here and from my posts I'm far from a starter.

FYI Nokia has never said they're dropping symbian. Accenture will continue its development until atleast 2016 and maybe more.

Lastly, it may surprise you if I told you the device I personally prefer between them. If we were to switch roles, I would dismiss this in a single post (just like I'm about to do). I like people being truthful and straight and knowledgeable when making such comparisons.
Your best point about a device shouldn't necessarily be about looking for faults in its rivals but rather showing its strong points

If you're still looking for strong points of lumia, maybe you should consider these:
-Looks: especially when its the most beautiful smartie and has won several awards to that effect.
-OS: especially when its amazingly beautiful, easy to use and really fast and smooth.
App and game support: especially when it has the best exclusive apps that cannot be duplicated on others like Nokia maps and xbox live support.
-Price: especially when it offers so much for so little.
-Practical hardware: especially when it offers the best outdoor readability by a very wide margin.

In summary, you may see one as the most powerful, the other as the best for you or one of them as being the most powerful and the best. Its all about what you want and consider useful in a device.

Accepting defeat is not a crime ooo grin grin grin grin una fingers no dey pain unaaa... na wa ooooooo. Samsung Galaxy S3 is best phone in the market now grin
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by texazzpete(m): 2:36pm On Aug 06, 2012
this 4llerbuntu nor dey hear word.This is what happens when someone spends too much time dwelling on granular details and fails to look at the big picture.

I sincerely admire his passion and intelligence...and his willingness to enter the drudgery of digging deep in the guts of linux based OSes...but he can't seem to see the trees for the forest.

Role reversals are funny things indeed. I remember when he was the chief proponent of the Nokia N900 here on Nairaland because it was an 'open' OS...even when it didn't have anywhere near the tech specs of its competitors. Fast forward to 2012 and here he is talking about tech specs and app ecosystems. Don't you just love the sweet smell of irony? smiley

That, for example, is why he's now asking us to tell him any way the Lumia 900 is functionally better than the Galaxy S3. Forgetting that

1) The Lumia 900 may have a smaller, lower res screen but it's much more readable under direct sunlight. I have a Galaxy S3 and at anything less than maximum brightness the screen is barely legible outside.
2) The Lumia 900 looks 1000x better than the Galaxy S III. Hands down, no contest. Anyone who argues otherwise should be shot for insanity. The build quality on the Lumia 900 is way better too.
3) Wp 7.5 on the Lumia 900 is still smoother than ICS on the S3...at least while whizzing through the UI. And WP7 DOES look more beautiful than Touchwiz...
4) offline Navigation. Nokia maps CANNOT BE TOUCHED by anything on the Galaxy S 3 (and definitely not on Android, period). Here's a review of Nokia Drive with comparisons with Google maps http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/01/nokia-drive-offline-navigation-review-taking-the-lumia-900-for/ . And that's even with the older version of Drive. So if using your phone as a personal Navigator is top on your lists of priorities, the GS3 doesn't measure up to the lumia 900.

4llerbuntu knows loads of tweaks and customizations for stuff he focuses on...but he is sadly ignorant of many matters that drives consumer purchase. That is why he will NEVER understand why iPhone have way higher satisfaction ratings than any other phone in the world...despite being a 'closed ecosystem' and a 'walled garden' as he describes it.
He will not understand why the beautiful Nokia Lumia 900 has a higher average user reviews from actual users than the Galaxy S 3...reactions from people who actually use the damned thing not those who compare specs line-by-line on GSMArena.

This is also why nearly a year after WP 7.5 Mango's release, he still trots out that woefully outdated list of things that the first iteration of WP7 could not do that have been fixed in Mango.

Don't get me wrong. There are loads of areas where the Galaxy S 3 easily bests the Lumia 900. It's got way more apps, bigger, higher res screen, more accessories and way more raw power to run more demanding apps and games. But the world doesn't always revolve around those features and many of these can be overkill for many users...so to say (or even insinuate!) that the Lumia 900 is a 'bad buy' or a 'waste of money' (a thoroughly brainless assertion since the 900 is much cheaper than the GS3) musn't necessarily be true.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by texazzpete(m): 2:43pm On Aug 06, 2012
4llerbuntu:

Nice try but...

1) 2-8 second load time for 3310 apps were the norm back then. You no remember the Nokia progress bar?
2) Any gains on the 'User experience' front on the 3310 will be easily negated by the tiny screen. Also basic modern era phone functions like photo, video playback and music playback are absent. No functional HTML5 compliant web browser. It cannot get a high score on the UX front these days
3) The 3310 is no longer on sale smiley

For its time the 3310 offered world class user experience and better battery life and stability than those early Samsung color screen phones. So even way back then, there were many functional advantages the 3310 had over slightly more powerful rivals.

Fun fact: Did you know the Super Nintendo was less powerful than the Sega Genesis? Guess which one more people loved?
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:48pm On Aug 06, 2012
but @ tex, i do concede maps, BUT IT SEEMS YOU KEEP MISSING THE SWEEPING GENERAL TERMS BEING USED HERE BY THESE CATS!!!

anyway:

MAPS= no contest

SMOOTHER UI, MORE BEAUTIFUL UI = not true, please pretty subjective. like i have told u many times how can you like flat
rectangles and squares of a monotonous color weird!!!

LOOKS= also very very very subjective. N9 is much better you know!!!

SCREEN= 1 point. true

so you have 2 undisputed points and SGS 3 has how many grin grin

[size=18pt]
by popular demand, i think this thread should die now!!!
[/size]

pls mods shld close this thread. I FORBID ANY MORE POSTS HERE. im out!!
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by texazzpete(m): 4:31pm On Aug 06, 2012
4llerbuntu:

but @ tex, i do concede maps, BUT IT SEEMS YOU KEEP MISSING THE SWEEPING GENERAL TERMS BEING USED HERE BY THESE CATS!!!

anyway:

MAPS= no contest

SMOOTHER UI, MORE BEAUTIFUL UI = not true, please pretty subjective. like i have told u many times how can you like flat
rectangles and squares of a monotonous color weird!!!

LOOKS= also very very very subjective. N9 is much better you know!!!

SCREEN= 1 point. true

so you have 2 undisputed points and SGS 3 has how many grin grin

[size=18pt]
by popular demand, i think this thread should die now!!!
[/size]

pls mods shld close this thread. I FORBID ANY MORE POSTS HERE. im out!!

Flat rectangles can be beautiful. It's an elegant, minimalist design that's visually very beautiful. Every single review of the early WP7 harps on the beauty. have you used a WP device before?

No matter your thoughts on the default beauty of Android OS, Touchwiz is one of the less beautiful skins out there.

Looks ARE generally a subjective topic, but the Lumia 900 is nearly as beautiful as the N9 (one of the most beautiful phones ever made, perhaps the most beautiful) while the galaxy S 3's design has been criticized by even hardened Android fanboys. The HTC One X hands down destroys the Galaxy S III for looks...and it's not as good looking as the Lumia 900.

As far as build quality is concerned, nobody has ever accused the 900's polycarbonate build of being 'cheap feeling', which is more than I can say of the GS III's plastic body. Honestly, i cringe everytime I have to remove the battery cover.
Re: Samsung GS3 Vs Nokia Lumia900 by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:48pm On Aug 06, 2012
texazzpete:

Flat rectangles can be beautiful. It's an elegant, minimalist design that's visually very beautiful. Every single review of the early WP7 harps on the beauty. have you used a WP device before?

Yes i have, my GF owns one. i usually avoid touching it

no its not beautiful

texazzpete:

No matter your thoughts on the default beauty of Android OS, Touchwiz is one of the less beautiful skins out there.

Sadly i agree, but the new one is a bit better than it used to be. lighter and smoother

texazzpete:
Looks ARE generally a subjective topic, but the Lumia 900 is nearly as beautiful as the N9 (one of the most beautiful phones ever made, perhaps the most beautiful) while the galaxy S 3's design has been criticized by even hardened Android fanboys. The HTC One X hands down destroys the Galaxy S III for looks...and it's not as good looking as the Lumia 900.

So you say. How am i supposed to accept the taste of a man who likes tiles.

do you know how i can get me a N9? i hate Nokia for the sell out sha, chai!!! imagine that fone running jellybean
wink wink wink

texazzpete:
As far as build quality is concerned, nobody has ever accused the 900's polycarbonate build of being 'cheap feeling', which is more than I can say of the GS III's plastic body. Honestly, i cringe everytime I have to remove the battery cover.

Yeah right, now you suddenly mr daintyfingers tongue tongue tongue

DUDE stop posting on this thread and let it die joor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Opting Out From Etisalat's Ring Back Tune / How Are You Preparing For Dec 1 New Data Rates? / Charging New Phone For The First Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.