Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,952 members, 7,952,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:55 AM

London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? (53025 Views)

‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West / 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony Pictures / London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by justwise(m): 9:27am On Jul 29, 2012
Aifey: Both can nt b compared 4any 1 tht realy watched it. Beijin was spectacular n intrestin. I even slept off wtchin london clueless movie.

I slept off watching Beijin computer game display in 2008, there was nothing original about it, is like Apple launching the latest gadget.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by naptu2: 9:40am On Jul 29, 2012
safeLove: Sentiments aside. Boyle did a good job with his script/idea as displayed at the opening ceremony of London 2012 olympics. But, let's be honest,if he translates the same script to a motion picture movie,how many of you would spend your hard earned cash to watch some boring british history movie. I'd rather watch titanic again,at least I'll shed some tears and get my money's worth.
Many of those saying the Brit did a good job have some sentimental attachment to UK. I don't have any attachment (or weave on) to either UK or China,but I give it to Beijin any day. And yes,I know Naija can't do any better but I still love my country even with all its drama.

+1000

I was really looking forward to the ceremony. Thought it'd be a combination of the proms, royal processions, football spirit, the classic British culture, with lots of talking points. While it wasn't bad, I was deeply disappointed. Not much to remember about this. They went down the well worn road of just providing some boring historical drama (which is what the North Africans and some European countries usually do). No great unique thing to tell the kids about in 20 years' time (apart from the torch lighting sequence).

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by megareal: 9:43am On Jul 29, 2012
London's opening ceremony was a boring spectacle to say the least. I give it to Beijing. Except for the lighting of the cauldron, I'd say London was a total failure.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by naptu2: 10:00am On Jul 29, 2012
Manchester 2002 was for the commonwealth games! Commonwealth games! And it was waaay better. I can tell my kids about the way the Queen was brought into the stadium, the royal salute, the little girl that accompanied David Beckham (although the Queen really should have spoken to her) and so on.

This is Britain we are talking about.

Why couldn't they get the red arrows to stage a fly past? Imagine if they had sung Rule Brittania and gotten the crowd involved (just like L.A '84 did with the flashlight segment)or even Oasis to sing Wonder Wall (what a talking point that would have been)? Imagine if the Queen came into the stadium in a procession? There were just too many pre-taped segments! I actually had more fun watching the opening ceremony of Rivers 2011 (National Sports Festival). Thank God for the torch lighting sequence. It saved the day.

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by safeLove(f): 10:06am On Jul 29, 2012
justwise:

. . .and many saying Beijin is better don't have sentiment attached to China and a proven ant-west squad?
Well I'm not anti anything..west,east,north or south.
Every country has its own history no matter how insignificant.Both London and Beijing told their stories,Beijing just did it better IMO.
And if showcasing all the major stars from UK was part of the UK culture,I wonder how rich US culture would have looked in Atlanta '96..
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by soloqy: 1:03pm On Jul 29, 2012
London Olympics opening was all over the place. So what history and culture were they presenting? And what exactly was the theme? Teenagers social networking? Dancers prancing all over the place, totally out of synch with one another? Beijing gave us the Birds nest as a theme. What exactly did the Brits do?

A culture of Rock Stars? If people wanted to watch Rock concerts, they wont need to wait for four years to do so. There are rock concerts going on everytime.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by SUXXI(m): 2:14pm On Jul 29, 2012
There is nothing there to compare!!!The difference is crystal clear.
Beijing is far better than London's opening ceremony.
I have downloaded both country's opening ceremony and Beijing is TOTALLY MIND BLOWING!!!
What i really enjoyed in the London's opening ceremony is their classical music and the revolutionary industrial age.
No spectacular calisthenics self.
Mr Bean also added colour to the event.
The Queen didn't jump of the plan on parachute, if not, it would have been wonderful.
The culture of the British...is it pressing of game boy
Please everyone should watch the Beijing opening ceremony to fully understand what i mean.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by goodjack(m): 4:18pm On Jul 29, 2012
Apart from Mr. Bean the British did nothing again. I could not understand what they were doing. It was colorless without fun. I wonder what hospital bed was doing in the opening ceremony.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by kilimanjaro(m): 6:40pm On Jul 29, 2012
Damn!
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by AlabaSlim: 8:24pm On Jul 29, 2012
Iyk i rote earlier on;
beijing waz da BUMBA 2 BUMBA
wen it cumz 2 KULTURE & HISTORI,giv it 2 d CHINKO$ eni day eni tym
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by paris10: 8:59pm On Jul 29, 2012
Comparing Beijing to London Olympics is like comparing a sane and beautiful woman with a mad woman. The Beijing ceremony was a breakthrough in modern technology. It was cultural but still had the feel of the 21st century megatone. Synchronisation was given birth to by the thousands who drummed. Fireworks was digitised, hence, eliminating accidental carelessness. Heros were represented in form of art, and story was told using ancient scroll. It was a masterpiece.

The London ceremony was the worst ever opening ceremony in the history of the competition. It was chaos from the start. Children weren't taught property; they were all over the place. Synchronisation was missing and story to depict history wasn't original. Danny Boyle tried too hard to showcase Britain as a true multi-cultural country where opportunities are parallel amongst the ethnic groups. It is however obvious to the world that aren't true. The Americans calls the ceremony " a fake and untrue depiction of a country known to harbour hatred and racism towards minority". The English are very subtle when it comes to cynicism and racism, they are very hidden and often institutionalise.

Hackney and the whole of East London worked tirelessly to secure London2012, but after this, they were abandoned and left to wonder. The Black and Ethnic Minority Association for Equal Opportunity then rose and demanded that minorities be given a fair share of the opening ceremony, hence you seeing blacks playing the major roles. But major roles went to the extreme by including Dizzy Rascals and the so-called love birds. The queens role was also seen by some as an attempt to impose the monarch on the world. The whole thing was a shamble, and the British media were just patriotic but unconvinced about the whole thing. A Kenyan journalist tweeted " where are the slaves, the money you stole and the people you killed to acquire your wealth?". NHS was depicted as the best in the world which by the way is known for its notorious carelessness in handling complex cases.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by SisiKill1: 9:13pm On Jul 29, 2012
This is evidence of the disorganization we are talking about.

How the hell does a Random person get close enough to the Athletes to join them in their march.

Waving too

The Indian Delegation is so upset. . .as they rightfully should, that could have been someone with sinister motives.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by merengue: 10:44pm On Jul 29, 2012
coogar:

that is because you did not understand what they were doing. after the towers came the nhs(gosh). rubbing it in the faces of america and others that health is wealth, health is free. then boyle was at his brilliant best when he played alll the tv programmes from the dark ages till now.......then the "abide with me" rendition at the end? what's not to like about the ceremony?

Dude, will you please S.T.F.U and stop condemning people's opinions like a bird of ill omen, it makes you look idiotic not intelligent.
@OP: Head and shoulders, it has to be Beijing.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by renewnaija(m): 11:55pm On Jul 29, 2012
I didnt watch both but watched a BBC presenter say the Brits were not trying to outdo Beijing.

Doesnt that answer the question?
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by coogar: 12:28am On Jul 30, 2012
merengue:

Dude, will you please S.T.F.U and stop condemning people's opinions like a bird of ill omen, it makes you look idiotic not intelligent.
@OP: Head and shoulders, it has to be Beijing.

why don't you buy yourself a strong rope and find a beam to tie it to? if my comment irks you so badly, exterminate yourself instead of ranting like a ruminant animal undergoing a manual castration!
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by shilling(f): 5:40am On Jul 30, 2012
Beijing, by a long shot.

Btw, this should be a poll.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Lillyeean(f): 10:16am On Jul 30, 2012
#Just thinking out aloud# I am pretty sure Naija's opening ceremony will beat Benjing's hands down.... # giggling mischeiviously#

That's if we ever host the olympics
lipsrsealed
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by ideylaff: 10:37am On Jul 30, 2012
Lets be logical when we reason and put things into perspectives and in the right order

LONDON 2012 Opening £27 Million (Volunteers Trained for 3 Months)

BEIJING Opening £250 Million (They trained for over 3 years) go and have a look at the making, they were even trained on how to smile, timing of smile and what part of the teeth should be shown) more like Zombies

London was Natural and real

China was Robotic and programmed.......

U cant compare... there is no need for it....

by @ ustwise(m): 9:27am On Jul 29 say , I slept off watching Beijin computer game display in 2008, there was nothing original about it, is like Apple launching the latest gadget.

SPOT ON and on point.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by naptu2: 10:48am On Jul 30, 2012
Opening ceremony of Manchester 2002 vs opening ceremony of London 2012. No contest, Manchester wins hands down.

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by ideylaff: 11:05am On Jul 30, 2012
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180814/London-2012-Olympics-opening-ceremony-How-magic-moments.html

if anyone didnt like this .. 2 bad.... We all are not wired the same way which I can understand, lets stop knocking the british cos everyday na una dey full the plane from Lagos.. all coming over ... wetin ina dey find?

Beijing is ds Beijing is that.. wey awa own 4 Africa... ordinary U17 football wey we host na yawa gas....

Boring we all are.....

The British say den nor compete with the robotic programmed opening of Beijijng.. They just did their own thing....

Na people/press wey dey know amd watch am pass that the way life is

Who be forbes we dey yeye the opening... nor be wan reporter report....Americans wey nor get history and know nothing outside ther Domain...

LOL

I met an American in my travels who never knew about September 11 Bombimng... Ther are so detached...ver detached....

Nija wey dey open raod call Atilogu and cultural dancers just for a 5 minute cut tape open road/building ceremony wan come dey critise like say we be something. Puleaseeee.

He get some things wey aa r nor like about British ooo as per den get mouf... but lets not knock everything they do... Not fair

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Abujafood: 11:59am On Jul 30, 2012
The London 2012 olympic ceremony was very boring to me! I slept almost throughout whereas 2008 was more fun, I remember watching it from start to finish!
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by ideylaff: 12:20pm On Jul 30, 2012
History is a boring subject to be honest and the world has bn digitalized our kids no longer pay attention unless its on XBox360, and ipad or and App running.

its a shame really...
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by naptu2: 12:34pm On Jul 30, 2012
There was nothing really inspiring. The whole "history of the country" thing has been done too many times. Nothing unique and original. Break dancing Victorians looked weird, even bizarre. Britain has so much history and culture to draw on, they could have done much better. Hope they improve before the closing ceremonies.

(One of the key determinants of a good opening ceremony is the ability to keep the audience entertained and awake. To accomplish this you need a lot of unique and exciting sequences in your show. London failed to deliver on that. Educate by all means, show your history, but you need to keep the [international] audience awake for them to see it)

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by SisiKill1: 1:07pm On Jul 30, 2012
I met an American in my travels who never knew about September 11 Bombimng... Ther are so detached...ver detached....
Dude, no need to exaggerate to make a point abeg.

Even people living in a cave knew something happened. undecided
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by jaykaylegend(m): 1:59pm On Jul 30, 2012
Who on dis earth will choose beijing,london was d best,luk at bond,mr bean nd d display of d rings o boi na die
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by savcy(m): 2:32pm On Jul 30, 2012
jaykaylegend: Who on dis earth will choose beijing,london was d best,luk at bond,mr bean nd d display of d rings o boi na die

Mtchww.. So dats wat interested u?
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by true2god: 2:34pm On Jul 30, 2012
I can only compare Beijing 2008 with Barcelona 92. Pple shuld try watch barcelona 92 and see artistry and great harmony by the performers. London 2012 is a big flop. No difference frm Coja 2003 hosted in abuja.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by ideylaff: 2:48pm On Jul 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Dude, no need to exaggerate to make a point abeg.

Even people living in a cave knew something happened. undecided

Check online there a loads of stories relating to this....

Most Americans know nothing outside their domain

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-04/travel/americans.travel.domestically_1_western-hemisphere-travel-initiative-passports-tourism-industries?_s=PM:TRAVEL

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/02/04/americans.travel.domestically/index.html?hpt=Sbin
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by naptu2: 2:58pm On Jul 30, 2012
Ah! Barcelona '92. How often I wish and dream I was this man.

I dream of a similar ceremony in Nigeria and J.J Okocha kicking the ultimate free-kick; a fiery ball into the cauldron.

Nothing @ the ceremony on friday night inspired me as much as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSA9xUUXj6E

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tyson Fury Defeats Deontay Wilder In Thrilling Fight With Five Knockdowns / Cristiano Ronaldo Eats On The Rug (Photo) / London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.