Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? (52731 Views)

‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West / 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony Pictures / London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by cap28: 7:14pm On Jul 28, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Oh please shut the hell up. That someone didn't fancy the British show doesn't imply they ''didn't understand it''. What rubbish is that? What is the great complex mystery behind what they were showing? For many people the ceremony was CRAP. Pure and simple. And most definitely inferior to the show put up by Beijing.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

OUCH!!!!

2 Likes

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by cheddarking(m): 7:17pm On Jul 28, 2012
The British have A LOT of Culture...So Much so that they couldn't show off all aspects of It.

Time constraints must have prevented Danny Boyle from highlighting a lot of cultural icons...

For example:

They didn't exhibit their beautiful football hooligan culture...They managed to do that West Ham bubble song though...

They didn't have time to showcase the magnificent drunkard culture...I would have loved to some brit boys starting fights and the girls being sick on the road.

They completely missed out on showcasing to the world the Benefits culture...There was no time to showcase some Chavs at the Local Jobcentre...

They almost showcased their Gambling culture...a few old men and a Ladbrokes would have done just fine....

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 28, 2012
coogar:

awwww, come on - don't liken everyone else to your sourpuss status. the whole world enjoyed what they saw last night apart from few people with no lust in their lives. people like yourself that are belaboured with hunger, frustrations, obesity....the people who still reason like you do are tools who drive white vans and fuck prostitutes!

The ''whole world'' enjoyed it only if you were watching BBC or some other western mouthpiece HYPE station. When you get your nose out of the asss of western propaganda, you'll realise that ''the whole world'' does not start and end in the BBC news station and the hype they drum down your head.

I found a lot of the satanic imagery in the ceremony quite frankly disgusting. There were clear subliminal messages in that ceremony that need careful scrutiny as to what exactly they were trying to convey to the world.

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by chris51(f): 7:19pm On Jul 28, 2012
China was definitely overall better. Very colourful &, captivating. In London's ceremony, the lighting of Olympic torch & the Queen's James Bond theme were brilliant. The 70s into 80s dances were boring & unnecessarily too long.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 28, 2012
cheddarking: The British have A LOT of Culture...So Much so that they couldn't show off all aspects of It.

Time constraints must have prevented Danny Boyle from highlighting a lot of cultural icons...

For example:

They didn't exhibit their beautiful football hooligan culture...They managed to do that West Ham bubble song though...

They didn't have time to showcase the magnificent drunkard culture...I would have loved to some brit boys starting fights and the girls being sick on the road.

They completely missed out on showcasing to the world the Benefits culture...There was no time to showcase some Chavs at the Local Jobcentre...

They almost showcased their Gambling culture...a few old men and a Ladbrokes would have done just fine....

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Bwhahahahaha

This guy is crazy, yo!!!
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 28, 2012
muffins99: I think in terms of creativity and content London has it but in terms of execution and showmanship, Beijing wins. I know for sure that what was shown last night was not the best of British...last night, the good bits were brilliant and the bad bits were awful. The Brits forgot this was a global show and failed to use the well known icons that people recognise as british. Also, the good things they remembered, they failed to showcase properly e.g. shakespeare, the suffragets (fought for women's right to vote), focus on health and welfare would have been better portrayed by the Redcross.... I like the tribute to the fallen soldiers around the world (love the whistling as this added a bit of poignancy) and the tribute to the dead (though I thought Leona Lewis would have sung the hymn better). The forging of the rings and the lighting of the cauldron were the best bits and justifiably so as these are the two parts that people focus on the most at any opening ceremony.

People need to remember that civilisations rise and fall...persia, rome, etc...so all this talk about Britain and US fading away is just reality...mind you I said fading not failing. Even China was once a great civilisation that was overtaken by the west and is only just picking itself back up. Countries rise and fall, which one is Nigeria doing How many of you critics can envisage a time when Nigeria can put up a show that's even half as good as last night's? in 2020? 2024? when? How many King/Emir's palaces will get airtime? which of the globally recognised great Nigerian sportsman will light the cauldron? Will we do it without any foreign consultant's help? ...Please look to your own country and your own households.

Oh, and I hope you guys realise that the queen did not really fly in that 'coper? If you did, you be real mumu cheesy

Can I also add that last night's opening ceremony, as imperfect as it was, was a people's opening ceremony and not a 'photoshopped one like Beijing. London used deaf kids, hospital staff and inpatients at the Great Ormond Street Hospital. Beijing would not let a cute healthy (not deaf and definitely not dumb) girl sing bbecause her teeth were crooked. They didn't even try to fix her teeth, they got another girl to mime the pre-recorded song!!!
I know which one I prefer... definitely London

This poster wrote an essay with so much verbose, that she/it ended up saying nothing..

Utter rubbish!!!
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by DeepSight(m): 7:25pm On Jul 28, 2012
Just saw these comments from the forbes article -

"I’m sorry, but this was possibly the worst Olympic Opening Ceremonies for the past 50 years. Perhaps the Brits loved it, but the rest of the world was bored to tears. It was also cringe-worthy at times, such as when the men from the Industrial Revolution and 19th century clothes started break-dancing or all the digging and then the kids in their pajamas…just terrible. The way so much of the presentation was pre-taped too was mind-boggling. Really, you couldn’t pull it off live? And then Paul McCartney, who I love and I adore the Beatles, having those lip-sync issues, oh my God. And we thought Ashley Simpson on SNL was bad, this was truly horrific and played to 4 billion viewers around the world. What a horrible, shameful and embarrassing moment for Sir Paul who did not deserve that. He probably shouldn’t lip sync in the first place or have a backing track, but that miscue was just cringe worthy. To be a Beatle and a living legend and getting truly humiliated like that. And to think of Britain’s rich musical history and most of it tonight were just tracks off the records instead of live performances. Why? Jimmy Page was dying to play the Games and instead you use some British rappper? ? ? Especially when rap is uniquely American. The Stones, Bowie, Brian May, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, The Who, Led Zep, all these classic amazing bands would have played in an instant and yet instead all we get are the Arctic Monkeys? I actually like them but I think Danny Boyle could have done better. What about Radiohead or Blur? Even Oasis are far bigger and more important than the Monkeys and I’m sure they would have reunited for this. Can you imagine “Wonderwall” being played in front of 4 billion television viewers? That would have been magical. Stone Roses are already back together but what Danny should have really done is to get The Smiths back together using this as an excuse and have them play “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” during the lighting of the cauldron. Now THAT would have been something!"
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by emsquare(m): 7:27pm On Jul 28, 2012
justwise: [/b]

Exactly! Beijing was like watching computer game, nothing original, just display of technology.

Well said!

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 28, 2012
cap28:

grin grin grin grin grin

i thought i was the only one that noticed that, not only that she couldnt even be bothered to stand when the british contingent marched past.

this has got to be one of the most boring and quite frankly ordinary opening ceremonies ive ever watched, how can you even compare it to the pomp and grandeur of the chinese, look at how the chinese showcased their culture and tradition compare that to the rubbish that was on show yesterday, i mean the queen jumping out of a helicopter - how s.tupid is that?
A right wing british mp even dubbed it multicultural crap!

Yeah, I thought the queen and helicopter thing was childish and tacky. On the whole it was an ok show. But not the best and certainly not as good as Beijing.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by muffins99(f): 7:29pm On Jul 28, 2012
shymmex:

This poster wrote an essay with so much verbose, that she/it ended up saying nothing..

Utter rubbish!!!

waka!!!... hows that for a quick post.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by cap28: 7:33pm On Jul 28, 2012
ROSSIKE:

The ''whole world'' enjoyed it only if you were watching BBC or some other western mouthpiece HYPE station. When you get your nose out of the asss of western mouthpiece propaganda, you'll realise that ''the whole world'' does not start and end in BBC news station and what they drum down your head.

I personally found a lot of the satanic imagery in the ceremony frankly disgusting.

Rossike, Shymex and Buzugee you are doing a good job of tearing the pathetic sambo known as COON GER a new arsehole - this platinum plated uncle tom is one of those poverty stricken losers who had no hope of making a life for himself in nigeria - leaving nigeria was the best thing that ever happened to him and he remains eternally grateful, so grateful that even when it is glaringly obvious to anyone with a brain that whitey is not the demi god he claims to be the coon will continue to claim otherwise.

Coons like this are described here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B33eEJZd5Qc
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 28, 2012
muffins99:

IDIOT!!!... hows that for a quick post.

Educating you on how to articulate your points in a precise/concise way, without the other mumbo jumbo crap you posted earlier.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by MrGlobe(m): 7:34pm On Jul 28, 2012
why did I miss this? its like comparing death and sleep. People are just too quick to forget anyways. Beijing 10 years ahead of London. Lets see if the closing will show improvement.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by cheddarking(m): 7:39pm On Jul 28, 2012
ekehleosey: Join other Nigerians on www.mocliq.mobi to play airtime games on your phones & PCs with friends.."Winners" win "Losers" airtime. MTN users only.

Where are the Mods in this setion? angry
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by cap28: 7:40pm On Jul 28, 2012
coogar:

that is because you did not understand what they were doing. after the towers came the nhs(gosh). rubbing it in the faces of america and others that health is wealth, health is free. then boyle was at his brilliant best when he played alll the tv programmes from the dark ages till now.......then the "abide with me" rendition at the end? what's not to like about the ceremony?

you are without a doubt a platinum plated fool.

ARE YOU AWARE THAT THE NHS IS IN THE PROCESS OF BEING DISMANTLED AND PRIVATISED BY THE TORIES??

RUBBING WHAT IN THE FACE OF AMERICA? WE ARE FOLLOWING IN AMERICA'S FOOTSTEPS - A WESTERN NATION WHERE HEALTHCARE IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO THOSE WHO CAN AFFORD TO PAY FOR IT.

You need to spend less time on NL and more time actually learning more about the country you claim to live in.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by cap28: 7:45pm On Jul 28, 2012
cheddarking: I bet Lizzy was thinking this.... wink

She still owns you - her family are major shareholders in Royal Dutch Shell, various mining corporations and several international banks which are all doing a roaring business all over Africa.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by jaymyk(m): 7:45pm On Jul 28, 2012
Yeah d london olympics openin ceremony was ok. Saw d queen airlifted in a helicopter, & flew down in a parachute wen d helicopter was airborne. However, i still prefer d beijing 2008 olympics openin ceremony!
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Builder: 7:47pm On Jul 28, 2012
Surely if this were to be a boxing match btween London and Beijin, London would have been taken to the hospital for brain sugery... the london openning ceremony was more of a boring horro-movie.

London should have showcased their typical English culture... drunk girl and sex at the back of the car, football hooliganism etc.. then maybe lastnight might have been interesting
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by deols(f): 7:50pm On Jul 28, 2012
How about

When do you think Nigeria might be able to host something of this magnitude?
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Cupidkc(m): 7:51pm On Jul 28, 2012
I will pick London,cos it contained more of their culture and history...not forgetting the comic display of mr bean. Lolz
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Darey00(m): 8:15pm On Jul 28, 2012
I tink AFCON Tunisia 2004 even betters London. The Bbc guys were just overhyping it yday
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by kalufelix(m): 8:17pm On Jul 28, 2012
obailala: unfortunately, full/partial memory loss wouldn't permit this comparison to be healthy undecided
thank u jare
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 28, 2012
16 years old china girl just broke the world record in swimming.. grin

China is the leader of the new world! grin grin
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Konsult07(m): 8:23pm On Jul 28, 2012
Eh guyz let talk about 9ja can we hv such colourfu open ceremony?
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by mamagee3(f): 8:26pm On Jul 28, 2012
I personally think the London Olympics was so much better.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by mamagee3(f): 8:37pm On Jul 28, 2012
MsDarkSkin: LOL @ topic do you REALLY have to ask? grin

*my bad for the huge pictures. tongue
[size=18pt]This one looked nice!!![/size]
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by naptu2: 8:54pm On Jul 28, 2012
Last night's ceremony was quite uninspiring. Unfortunately, the Beijing 2008 opening ceremony is the only opening ceremony I've missed in 28 years.

I was so looking forward to the ceremony. Would we have a royal salute ala Manchester 2002 (I hoped for one, even though I know that the Olympic Committee won't allow it. No arms). How would they bring the Queen into the stadium? Would they put on a pageant (the British are the best at pageants, pomp & circumstance, etc).

But boy was I disappointed!

I was happy when they started singing Jerusalem. Would it be like the last night of the proms? Nope!

There were touches of humour (the corgi dogs, Mr Bean) but nothing memorable. The only things that would be worth talking about in 20 years time are the lighting of the cauldron (lovely symbolism) and perhaps the welding of the olympic rings.

LA '84 gave us the rocket man, amazing flashlights, Lionel Richie and Diana Ross (I wanted to be the rocket man, to reach out and touch someone and to party all night long). (Although my dad preferred the football @ Moscow '80).

Seoul '88 gave us "Koreana" (probably the best olympic song ever: "Hand in Hand) and amazing laser shows.

Barcelona '92 gave us the archer (o! How I dreamed of being that archer)

Atlanta '96 gave us the fly past and Mohammed Ali (2 things I dream of even today)

Sydney 2000 and Aria on Air. . . So inspiring!

But, apart from the lighting of the torch, everything was quite forgettable. Even Manchester 2002 was better (much better).

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Afam4eva(m): 8:54pm On Jul 28, 2012
Darey_00: I tink AFCON Tunisia 2004 even betters London. The Bbc guys were just overhyping it yday
Those guys will hype anything under the British sun.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by vivaciousvivi(f): 8:55pm On Jul 28, 2012
Sisi_Kill: The London Opening Ceremony was a MESS!!!!

I so totally agree with u! There were segments of d ceremony that most people would not in any wau, be able to identify with. Apart from Mr. Bean n Sir Paul (which wasn't even one of his best performance) d whole thing was a complete bore! D so called "history lesson" inclusive. Give me Beijing all over again even though it was pretty much just a display of technology. At least, it was exciting. No weak dance sequences or blatant advertisement of apple iphones!
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by onila(f): 8:59pm On Jul 28, 2012
support team Nigeria!! proud of them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDTS4l9-Ffo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tammy Abraham Enjoys Life In Rome With Glamorous Girlfriend / Inside Real Madrid’s Luxury Jet With Beds, Showers And Over 2000 TV Channels / Samuel Chukwueze Arrives In Abia State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.