Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,228 members, 7,811,627 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:08 PM

Akatas On Nairaland - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Akatas On Nairaland (40272 Views)

Are Black Africans (Nigerians) And Africans In America (Akatas) Really Different / Why Akatas Treated Better Than Africans Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Go Down)

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by anonymous6(f): 7:49pm On Aug 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

I am definitely into African ethnic groups marrying other African ethnic groups (For example: Hausa and Igbo or Fulani and Mande).

Those populations exist but some Nigerians are unaware of it, which surprises me

Bride: Hausa mom & Igbo father
Groom: Yoruba
http://www.bellanaija.com/2012/07/16/eternal-love-amina-chukwueke-tunde-oyelola-junior-wed/
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Fulaman198(m): 7:55pm On Aug 13, 2012
anonymous6:

Those populations exist but some Nigerians are unaware of it, which surprises me

http://www.bellanaija.com/2012/07/16/eternal-love-amina-chukwueke-tunde-oyelola-junior-wed/

Oh I know there are members of this forum who are of those mixtures. Like one I met today (sambos994) who is half Hausa, and half Igbo. It surprises me too, but being a Fulani I'm aware of this, as Fulani are the ones who mix the most with other ethnic groups found in Africa (like in Nigeria where Fulani have mixed with Hausa, Touareg, Yoruba, Zarma/Dendi, etc. etc.)

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by anonymous6(f): 7:59pm On Aug 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

Oh I know there are members of this forum who are of those mixtures. Like one I met today (sambos994) who is half Hausa, and half Igbo. It surprises me too, but being a Fulani I'm aware of this, as Fulani are the ones who mix the most with other ethnic groups found in Africa (like in Nigeria where Fulani have mixed with Hausa, Touareg, Yoruba, Zarma/Dendi, etc. etc.)

interesting, I didn't know sambo was half igbo/hausa; I attended a marriage not long ago where the bride was Yoruba and groom was Hausa/Fulani and I have a friend who is of Hausa/Yoruba mix so yeah I know it exist.

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Nobody: 8:08pm On Aug 13, 2012
ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooohh God!!!
Not these African Americans again!!

@ Thread: the truth is they never liked Africa in the first place. They try to, but they can't help the "they are poor and inferior to us" feeling that has been instilled in them through media, their slave master(lol),.....

And those that like Africans too much are the same as those that dislike us - Condescending!!!

[size=5pt]*I'm generalizing*[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by suyu: 8:16pm On Aug 13, 2012
Shollypopz: ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooohh God!!!

@ Thread: the truth is they never liked Africa in the first place. They try to, but they can't help the "they are poor and inferior to us" feeling that has been instilled in them through media, their slave master(lol),.....

And those that like Africans too much are the same as those that dislike us - Condescending!!!

true

most Nigerians don't take them seriously any way

I wonder what their purpose is in nairaland? FIGHT

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by tpia5: 8:38pm On Aug 13, 2012
anonymous6:

miriam babangida had a hausa mother and asaba father.

where is this lady's mum from? I'm guessing she might be middle belt-ish.
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 13, 2012
anonymous6:

LOL @ Yoruba man putting the "wa" in wazobia. lmao.
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 8:42pm On Aug 13, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Awww Naijarican....you are a cutey. I just looked at your profile and you are definitely not an Albino. wink

They just mad cos you look good and many of them bleeped me up when they said they want a White woman/man so their kids don't take after them.

What the hell That's a shame.

Thank you hon smiley. Some of these folks actually said they want to get with somebody white so their kids wont take after them Okay... that sh1t right there is the epitome of self hate. Black people are the most beautiful people God graced upon this earth... They betta recognize!!!

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijarican:

Thank you hon smiley. Some of these folks actually said they want to get with somebody white so their kids wont take after them Okay... that sh1t right there is the epitome of self hate. Black people are the most beautiful people God graced upon this earth... They betta recognize!!!

I love your hair sha. Natural?
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 8:48pm On Aug 13, 2012
LOL, I'm absolutely amused at how yall talk about hausa/yoruba mix, igbo/fulani mix. this mix/that mix... At the end of the day yall all black so it doesn't matter. To me it's like saying a black person from California marrying another black person from Chicago... At the end of the day WE BLACK!!! SMH

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 8:49pm On Aug 13, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I love your hair sha. Natural?

Thank you. Yes it's natural, no chemical shall touch my head, I am a pround nappy girl.
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Fulaman198(m): 8:54pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijarican: LOL, I'm absolutely amused at how yall talk about hausa/yoruba mix, igbo/fulani mix. this mix/that mix... At the end of the day yall all black so it doesn't matter. To me it's like saying a black person from California marrying another black person from Chicago... At the end of the day WE BLACK!!! SMH

It's not about that (skin colour it is), it is about tradition and customs.

it's different for like say a Hausa to marry a Yoruba for example than say a Hausa marrying a black American. Even though we are all black, the Yoruba is still an African and has been immersed in that culture her entire life. The two cultures are more akin and similar to each other than Hausa and black American culture.

Black American culture in itself is a sub-culture of the much larger American culture. Yes, we are aware that blacks and whites in America practice "slightly" different cultures, but at the end of the day they're both American. Most Nigerians (Africans in general) just view Americans the same whether they are "white, black, Asian American or Hispanic", they are all Americans still.

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by anonymous6(f): 8:55pm On Aug 13, 2012
tpia@:

miriam babangida had a hausa mother and asaba father.

where is this lady's mum from? I'm guessing she might be middle belt-ish.

I heard about this, very true about Mariam but I don't know where the brides mother is from but she is Hausa when it comes to tribe

Ileke-IdI:

LOL @ Yoruba man putting the "wa" in wazobia. lmao.

lol
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by anonymous6(f): 8:57pm On Aug 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

it's different for like say a Hausa to marry a Yoruba for example than say a Hausa marrying a black American. Even though we are all black, the Yoruba is still an African and has been immersed in that culture her entire life. The two cultures are more akin and similar to each other than Hausa and black American culture.

Black American culture in itself is a sub-culture of the much larger American culture. Yes, we are aware that blacks and whites in America practice "slightly" different cultures, but at the end of the day they're both American. Most Nigerians (Africans in general) just view Americans the same whether they are "white, black, Asian American or Hispanic", they are all Americans still.

Cosign 100%

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 9:11pm On Aug 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

That is very true... Americans whether white are black share 1 basic culture, but due to obvious differences black americans, asian americans, latinos... all have there own sub-cultures. Honestly though me personally, I would rather be married to a black person no matter their culture instead of a non black person... And alot of American black women feel that way.

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 9:13pm On Aug 13, 2012
Shollypopz: ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooohh God!!!

But why you so bitter though Has every American personally done something to you? If we never liked Africa in the first place as you say, why are many of trying to reconnect with our roots, despite some of you making it futile?? You trippin'!
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by anonymous6(f): 9:20pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijarican:

But why you so bitter though Has every American personally done something to you? If we never liked Africa in the first place as you say, why are many of trying to reconnect with our roots, despite some of you making it futile?? You trippin'!

To be honest, no offense but most african americans dont care for Africa only a few like Oprah & you for example. Shollypopz has a point because I have witnessed this many times, it doesnt bother me but it is the thruth

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 9:35pm On Aug 13, 2012
anonymous6:

To be honest, no offense but most african americans dont care for Africa only a few like Oprah & you for example. Shollypopz has a point because I have witnessed this many times, it doesnt bother me but it is the thruth

Honestly, I can't even say that you're wrong, because I know how some black americans regard Africans, and it is not cool. Some of yall have a tendancy to want to lump us all together and that isn't fair either. There are alot of us who have love for the continent that essentially birthed us all, but the ignorant few give all of us a bad rep.

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by anonymous6(f): 9:47pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijarican:

Honestly, I can't even say that you're wrong, because I know how some black americans regard Africans, and it is not cool. Some of yall have a tendancy to want to lump us all together and that isn't fair either. There are alot of us who have love for the continent that essentially birthed us all, but the ignorant few give all of us a bad rep.

Well I wont make africans look perfect because they arent but to a extent you have some points, based on how you are talking to me now lets me know you are a good person but sadly many africans dont expereince that. I know some nigerians(educated & professional) that want nothing to do with african americans due to their expereinces and they spread their expereinces back home to their family and etc, which is justifiable. When it comes to me I have had bad and good expereinces from both african americans and white americans. So I am nuetral with both communities.

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by ezotik: 9:53pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijarican:

I've also seen many Africans who are my complexion or even lighter, they just happen to be more northern African. The few folks that I have been called that by are West African mostly naija. And I gather they call me that because my complexion is quite a bit lighter than the average Nigerian.

lol, at the typical african-american negro always trying to place themselves where they dont belong. northern africa ke? why not southern africa? grin they prolly called oyibo not because of ur skin color/or tone, but because of ur behaviour same way they would call fellow nigerians who were raised in the US oyibo due to their behaviour. and whoever called u albino must have been drunk.
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 9:57pm On Aug 13, 2012
anonymous6:

Well I wont make africans look perfect because they arent but to a extent you have some points, based on how you are talking to me now lets me know you are a good person but sadly many africans dont expereince that. I know some nigerians(educated & educated) that want nothing to do with african americans due to their expereinces and they spread their expereinces back home to their family and etc, which is justifiable. When it comes to me I have had bad and good expereinces from both african americans and white americans. So I am nuetral with both communities.

Quiet as it's kept, black americans were taught to despise anything african. Through the introduction and the prominence of eurocentric values, some black americans have surrendered their own beauty in favor of european beauty, and the same thing has happened in African countries due to colonialism. So both groups have some reconditioning that needs to take place. Once we recognize our God given beauty, and our original customs and cultures we may be able to dismiss some of this animosity we have towards each other. It goes both ways.
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 10:02pm On Aug 13, 2012
ezotik:

lol, at the typical african-american negro always trying to place themselves where they dont belong. northern africa ke? why not southern africa? grin they prolly called oyibo not because of ur skin color but because of ur behaviour same way they would call fellow nigerians who were raised in the US oyibo due to their behaviour. and whoever called u albino must be drunk.

See, this is the condescension I'm speaking of. This is the very sh1t that keeps us at each others throat. You know what though... You ain't finta worry me today fool. Step yo black a55 to the side and let grown folks continue to talk...

2 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by anonymous6(f): 10:05pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijarican:

Quiet as it's kept, black americans were taught to despise anything african. Through the introduction and the prominence of eurocentric values, some black americans have surrendered their own beauty in favor of european beauty, and the same thing has happened in African countries due to colonialism. So both groups have some reconditioning that needs to take place. Once we recognize our God given beauty, and our original customs and cultures we may be able to dismiss some of this animosity we have towards each other. It goes both ways.

Well if you mean bleaching cream in Africa I would agree that that was the negative result of colonization in africa just like Asia but besides that I would disagree when it comes to european favor ment in Africa. It is not like that in Nigeria but with african americans I agree with you but it was inenvitable due to the fact that they had live and are part of a country that is white dominated
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 10:09pm On Aug 13, 2012
anonymous6:

Well if you mean bleaching cream in Africa I would agree that that was the negative result of colonization in africa just like Asia but besides that I would disagree when it comes to european favor ment in Africa. It is not like that in Nigeria but with african americans I agree with you but it was inenvitable due to the fact that they had live and be a part of a country that is white dominated

I'm speaking in terms of bleaching cream, hair weaves, and the sorts. I see a whole heap of women from africa with faded out skin looking all gray, and weaves or some 'other' folks textured hair entwined in their own. We need to be reconditioned to embrace what is naturally ours.

2 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by MrsChima(f): 10:15pm On Aug 13, 2012
anonymous6:

Instead of acting like those ignant arse Americans....dont act like an ignant arse African and intriduce it to them. Have it ever cross your mind that they may have tried to learn but were shooed away?

No...it hasnt....too busy thinking everyone ignant becaise you may be...

2 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by anonymous6(f): 10:15pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijarican:

I'm speaking in terms of bleaching cream, hair weaves, and the sorts. I see a whole heap of women from africa with faded out skin looking all gray, and weaves or some 'other' folks textured hair entwined in their own. We need to be reconditioned to embrace what is naturally ours.

Well I wont deny bleaching creams have a presence in Africa, and I dont agree with it but many africans dont agree with it, at least in Nigeria with the Nigerian community.

Hair weaves are in a different level and many black women are embracing while others are not. For me I dont wear weaves, I have my natural hair but I relax though
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by MrsChima(f): 10:17pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijarican:

Dead people hair....buhhahhhahahaa

2 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by ezotik: 10:18pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijarican:

See, this is the condescension I'm speaking of. This is the very sh1t that keeps us at each others throat. You know what though... You ain't finta worry me today fool. Step yo black a55 to the side and let grown folks continue to talk...

grin condescending? nope. it is something i have observed about u african-american negroes... u try as much as possible to claim anything outside ur roots in west africa where ur ancestors were shipped-out originated from. nothing to snap ur fingers at my face and shake ur head for.

and for u to think to u were called oyibo becos if ur skin tone, means u are ignorant about nigerians. and besides, u are not that light, u look like the average calabar housegirls wey full benin. no offense to calabar housegirls though. they know how please the nuts of oga when madam nor dey house..something u african-americans girls have also perfected..haha
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 10:18pm On Aug 13, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Dead people hair....buhhahhhahahaa

lmao!!!! Ling Ling hair.
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:22pm On Aug 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

To each their own, some Africans may prefer it, but for some Africans it is not for them.

I am definitely into African ethnic groups marrying other African ethnic groups (For example: Hausa and Igbo or Fulani and Mande). The culture difference isn't as wide as that of Black American/African.

that is a very useless post. Hausa, Igbo, Mande and Fulani are completely different ethnic groups. if we intermarry, our tribes will die out because unlike muslims who have always sought to destroy tribal structure, we are tribespeople and only blood matters to us, not the paternity.

how does that make us any different from the akata if we all start assimilating each other. we will be left with a shell of a cultue, while the real people will be long dead. no way Fula. being a part of a Tribe entails you to social responsibiliteis towards your people. you carry your fulani tag around with pride only becuase your parents did their duty. if you cannot do this basic duty, then stop calling yourself Fulani and just be African or as the akata say, black. angry
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Fulaman198(m): 10:22pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijarican:

That is true, and this is what I'm trying to prevent, Africa being completely immersed in Euro culture

2 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by anonymous6(f): 10:22pm On Aug 13, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Instead of acting like those ignant arse Americans....dont act like an ignant arse African and intriduce it to them. Have it ever cross your mind that they may have tried to learn but were shooed away?

No...it hasnt....too busy thinking everyone ignant becaise you may be...

Most of the ones I have bumped into already made up their minds what they want to think of Africa, and when I get a negativity at the same time from them, why should I put the effort or even bother to be honest.

Sorry but most Americans regardless of race are ignorant about what goes on outside america, I wasnt but when you bump into enough you make your own opinions about them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34)

Emir Sanusi Visits His Mother With His Mercedes Benz 220S Cabriolet (Photos) / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites / Aminu Sanusi Lamido Resumes Duty As Police Officer Officially (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.