Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,688 members, 7,955,584 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:46 AM

Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder (26865 Views)

Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria (press Release) On Cynthia's Murder Case / Cynthia’s Murder: Hotel Workers Sacked For Negligence / Four Charged For Cynthia Osokogu's Murder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by onomeasike: 2:08am On Aug 30, 2012
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by MrEverest(m): 7:31am On Aug 30, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy: Omo, no be this same Rohypnol by Roche Pharmaceuticals I give two Warri babes after club wey make their eyes shine like pus*sy own?

How manage e come make this Cynthia crash

I wait tire make these Warri babes crash...for where!!

Omo, their eyes come dey glo more to finish my last card...
Oboy you phuk up na, you for give dem overdose as they give Cynthia, at least by now you for no dey nairaland when your mates dey for Kirikiri.
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by RuuDie(m): 8:17am On Aug 30, 2012
elimokhai:

Circumstances, the pharmacy Nonso was doing his internship was in the same jurisdiction where the crime took place. Same reason why he needs a GOOD LAWYER, incompetency in the Nigeria police force has killed so many Nigerians. In Nigeria if you are arrested in a crime scene, automatically you are a criminal, no cctv, no forensic science to bail you out. This is not America, not Europe where every police stations have their own forensic department.

Very true. . .to the NPF, anyone present hundreds of meters to the scene of an incident is guilty, not even a suspect!

1 Like

Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by jpphilips(m): 9:28am On Aug 30, 2012
azimibraun: I hate 2 see an innocent person suffer unjustly.. Let the position of our law be knwn on this. Wt I think u shld b calling for is an interpretation of Nonso's role if its against our laws and wt is the penalty for his actions.. Eg if he ws negligient in selling controlled drugs without prescription, wt is the penalty.

this is the position of the law; the guy is just whining, definitely, he wont be charged for murder, but his career is fu.c.ked

The day ignarance becomes an acceptable defence under the law, thats the day I would start to havve mercy on him..

PHARMACY 101: Thou shall not sell prescription drugs to ANYBODY without a valid Doctors Prescription..

PHARMACY 101 (section 2): Thou shall not sell drugs with fatal overdose side effect to minors..

He isnt guilty of Murder, but of definitely of 'willfull misconduct', and 'negligible homicide'.. The Prosecution could also file charges of 'negligible manslaughter' against him, but definitely not MURDER 1.
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by RuuDie(m): 9:32am On Aug 30, 2012
KDULAR: Gentlemen reAD AND BE INFORMED THAT UNDER THE LAW GUIDING PRESCRIPTIONS OF DRUGS. THE SAID DRUG IN QUESTION DOES NOT REQUIRE A PRESCRIPTION FROM A DOCTOR. THEREFORE, THE GUY HAS NOT DONE ANYTHING WRONG MY SOURCE THE DDA ( SCHEDULE 4 DRUGS UNDER THE DDA) . ANY PHARMACIST OR KNOWLEDGEABLE MEDICAL DOCTOR/ DENTIST OR PSYCHOLOGIST CAN CONFIRM OR DISPEL MY STATEMENT. I POSTED THIS EARLIER AND NOBODY IS YET TO TELL ME I'M WRONG. SO DON'T JUST PASS JUDGEMENT BASED ON EMOTIONS PEOPLE

I wonder too oh. . .!!?

I've been reading through from the first page and no one seemed to take note or responded to the info you passed - this should be the third or fourth time you're reiterating this now! It seems all folks do is read the headline or topic and get lost in the emotions of first impression!

1 Like

Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by RuuDie(m): 9:41am On Aug 30, 2012
2mch:

This is where the guy killed his case. He cannot claim ignorance about the drug, or the fact that it required a doctor's prescription. he has confessed this with his own mouth. The police are only guilty of nollywood acting. The burden of proof is now on Nonso to prove that he did not conspire with the killers or does not belong to this syndicate. cool. The bolded also shows he was working there at the time the girl was killed. The police did all this to catch him and make his prosecution swift. Now he cannot deny selling to those guys.

And what about these other parts. . .funny how people just only see what they want to see and turn the blind eye to others!

"I just started my pharmacy internship at 'Oxpharm', a pharmacy in Festac about two months ago. Last week Monday (20/08/12), I was doing my job when a middle aged man walked into the pharmacy and made complaints of persistent generalized body pains and difficulty with sleeping as a result of an accident he had some weeks back. The individual then specifically requested for the drug Rohypnol® (Flunitrazepam). I then asked for the Doctors prescription. The individual said he had none but begged that he really needs the drug to help his condition because all others did not give him relief. I still refused but after much begging and after profiling the individual as one who was not at risk to addiction to the drug, I sold the individual 1 satchet of drug and counselled him to see a doctor. After which I recorded the purchase of the drug in the Pharmacy's register.

About 3-5 minutes after the individual left the pharmacy,hefty men numbering up to five in mufti who did not identify themselves stormed into the pharmacy and pounced on me (Nonso), rough-handled me and took me to Festac police station.".....Nonso
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by otokx(m): 10:09am On Aug 30, 2012
Let them get a good lawyer, those pharmacists ought not to be docked if you ask me - the pharmacist council ought to plead their case.
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 30, 2012
though i do not know so much about the laws concerning drugs and so on
And i really cant judge the guy
But the fact is that the guy sold the drug to some people
And he was caught in the act thus, labeled as the culprit.

i sort of know where that pharmacy is located,
cos i have bought lots of things there
I bet you& i THINK they can track who received the payment, for the drugs that day &probably who gave them the drugs,
on that day.
they keep records,that i know.
if it was done over the counter though& not backyard 'runs'.

I suggest a good lawyer preferably keyamo,if possible
should be hired.
And your friend, his friend's and family, should get closer to God
And start praying like say tomorrow no dey.
If not your friend's future is bleak!

I trust NIGERIANS idea of justice,
especially when the victim's family is connected!
Its bloody!
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 30, 2012
Guys it is not a joke to be @ d wrong place at the wromg tyme.a lot of people all over the world especially Africa have fallen prey to such.imagine the manager of the pharmacy sent this young man on an errand at that moment he would have escaped this mess considering he was not in any way conected to the said culprits.A lot of people have rescued accident or gunshot victims only to be charged with murder or possession of firearm charge.I suggest the family get a good lawyer and contact a strong human right activist to get this innocent young man out of this mess.Really a pity.God is in control.

1 Like

Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 30, 2012
Guys it is not a joke to be @ d wrong place at the wromg tyme.a lot of people all over the world especially Africa have fallen prey to such.imagine the manager of the pharmacy sent this young man on an errand at that moment he would have escaped this mess considering he was not in any way co

nected to the said culprits.A lot of people have rescued accident or gunshot victims only to be charged with murder or possession of firearm charge.I suggest the family get a good lawyer and contact a strong human right activist to get this innocent young man out of this mess.Really a pity.God is in control.

1 Like

Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by ignis: 10:29am On Aug 30, 2012
This matter is case sensitive.
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by bejay766: 10:41am On Aug 30, 2012
Nonso should be calm and prayerful because there are lessons in this matter for him. I prayer that God will help him get over the problem asap.
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by shawndhabi: 10:45am On Aug 30, 2012
well that was the case with Michael Jackson's doctor as he kept on giving him these said "pain relief" drugs. Its a really punishable offence to give someone drugs without prescription
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by shawndhabi: 10:48am On Aug 30, 2012
you for use spanish fly na
Okija_juju:

Abobbi, you don madt finish.. grin grin
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by shawndhabi: 10:50am On Aug 30, 2012
you for use spanish fly guy
PortHarcourtBoy: Omo, no be this same Rohypnol by Roche Pharmaceuticals I give two Warri babes after club wey make their eyes shine like pus*sy own?

How manage e come make this Cynthia crash

I wait tire make these Warri babes crash...for where!!

Omo, their eyes come dey glo more to finish my last card...
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by shawndhabi: 10:52am On Aug 30, 2012
nony30: Guys it is not a joke to be @ d wrong place at the wromg tyme.a lot of people all over the world especially Africa have fallen prey to such.imagine the manager of the pharmacy sent this young man on an errand at that moment he would have escaped this mess considering he was not in any way conected to the said culprits.A lot of people have rescued accident or gunshot victims only to be charged with murder or possession of firearm charge.I suggest the family get a good lawyer and contact a strong human right activist to get this innocent young man out of this mess.Really a pity.God is in control.

How is he innocent? He is guilty of selling drugs without prescriptions. He should be charged for that
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by AlhajiPastor: 11:23am On Aug 30, 2012
IN AS MUCH AS I SYMPHATISE WITH THE PARMACIST IN QUESTION, I STILL BELIEVE HE HAS NO EXCUSE FOR SELLING THE UNPRESCRIBED DRUG (EVEN UNDER DURESS).SELLING OUT OF PITY IS NOT GOING TO BE A YARDSTICK AND THAT WOULD NEVER BE ACCEPTED AS AN EXCUSE. ANOTHER ISSUE IS THAT OXPHARM PHARMACY WAS WHERE THE KILLERS GOT THE DRUGS THEY USED ON THEIR VICTIM AND THAT’S WHERE NONSO IS UNDERGOING HIS INTERSHIP (THAT REALLY SPEAKS VOLUME). ALL I CAN SAY IS; HE SHOULDN’T BE CHARGED FOR THE SAME OFFENCE, BUT SURELY HE WOULD BE JAILED (LONG TERM SENTENCE).
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by sinie: 11:31am On Aug 30, 2012
Okija_juju:

Now my friend.. Listen and listen good.. There is no point forming holier than thou.. I like millions of other Nigerians have bought prescription drugs over the counter without a valid prescription with no questions asked.. However, just because everyone is stealing does not make it any less of a crime.. Should we allow every criminal walk scot free because its standard practice?! If so, what was all the drama surrounding the Farouk and Bankole saga all about?! Afterall, the Police are corrupt, 98% of all public office holders are corrupt.. Infact, corrution is now a way of life and acceptable in nigeria that we might as well put it in the constitution as a civil right.. So from your logic, let all caught corrupt politicain, policeman, governor and co go scotfree because everyone is doing it..

or you to practice certain disciplines like Medicine, Pharmacy, Architecture and certain branches of engineering, you need to be fully certified by a professional body becuase any fhuck ups coukd lead to the death of a person of multitude..

Nonso should be used as an example for other pharmacists and doctors..

And a drug like rophypnol whose street name is 'THE DATE R'APE DRUG' should be given special attention by any reasonable pharmacist.. I wasn't joking when I sad a 'Chemist' not even a Pharmacy refused to sell Lexotan to me in the 90's sef.. And if you have never been asked for a prescription to buy prescription drugs in Nigeria, then maybe you need to stop patronizing roadside unaccredited (non-_green cross) Drug Storess.

I totally support your point. In as much as the way they are going about it is just. Plain victimisation, but health care professionals should be lot more careful in handling these drugs knowing any mistake can take a person's life. Go the extra mile in proper counselling before you dispense such drugs. 2 healthy young men should have absolutely NO need for such drug. Am not here to put blame on the young man but to plead to all pharmacist. Please wake up to your responsibilities as. Drug custodians, we say in Nigeria anything goes, but it doesn't have to be that way if the regulatory bodies do their jobs well. if there is any bad effect of a drug its on the pharmacist. Even if there's a prescription its still your job. To thoroughly scrutinise it and if for some reason you feel its not necessary please do not dispense. So many people are dying everyday from the nonchalant attitude these people have to their responsibilities as pharmacist. Its really bad....
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by jpphilips(m): 11:32am On Aug 30, 2012
RuuDie:

I wonder too oh. . .!!?

I've been reading through from the first page and no one seemed to take note or responded to the info you passed - this should be the third or fourth time you're reiterating this now! It seems all folks do is read the headline or topic and get lost in the emotions of first impression!

don't join that misinformed guy, the drug is not on DDA listing, nevertheless, it is boldly written on the bottle and NAFDAC has made a pronouncement on that drug in the past, i ve forgotten.
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by sinie: 11:52am On Aug 30, 2012
KDULAR:
I AM INFORMING YOU THAT THERE EVEN IN THE DDA ( DANGEROUS DRUG ACT IN NIGERIA ) THIS PARTICULAR DRUG DOES NOT REQUIRE A MEDICAL DOCTORS PRESCRIPTION BEFORE YOU CAN DISPENSE. THE TRUTH IS WE GENERALISE ALL DRUGS DUE TO WHAT WE HEAR FROM PEOPLE BUT I AM TELLING YOU WITH ALL CONFIDENCE THAT THE GUY DID NOT ERR IN ANYWAY , HOWEVER, BEING AN INTERN, HE' SUPPOSSED TO BE UNDER SOMEONE ELSE' SUPERVISION. AND THAT IS A MINOR ISSUE PROFESSIONALLY AND THE PUNISHMENT IS NOT REALLY ON HIM . BUT IN THIS CASE A CASE WILL BE EASILY WON BY THE PHARMACIST AND THE PHARMACY . JUST WATCH. THE POLICE WILL BE DISGRACED IN THIS . THEY REALLY FEAST ON PEOPLES FEAR AND IGNORANCE.WHICH A LOT OF US ARE PERPETRATING EVEN ON THIS TOPIC. I NEED SOMEONE TO STATE ME AN AUTHORITY THAT'LL PROVE ME WRONG. CHIKENA
Flunitrazepam is a benzodiazepine. It IS a controlled drug and should NOT be dispensed without a prescription. And drug that has a potential for addiction is a controlled. Which means you don't just dispense without prescription. Even some antibiotics. Like "ordinary" ciprofloxacin should NOT be sold without prescription. Just cos here in nigeria anything goes does not make it right. In cases like dis where there's trouble you can't defend yourself cos u did NT do the right thing. Of cos been an intern. Makes it worse. As a registered pharmacist he might have been able to use his own initiative and WRITE a prescription for the drug. Still just dispensing 10 tabs @ once. HABA. But the fact is both he and the pharmacist he's working under will be held liable. but the punishment is a bit extreme, its the council that will sanction them and if the family should sue for wrongful death or negligence they have a case. But its not a criminal offence. Please let's correct this impression. These drugs ARE controlled and should be sold with prescription ONLY. Just cos u can walk into any pharm and buy diazepam does not make it right.
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 30, 2012
@ babalegba,ur name sounds as disgusting as your comment!and please pray hard in wateva u do God should not let u find urself in such a position of being guilty until proven innocent.for goodness sake why sould a pharmasist be paraded alongside two muderers.He has broken the law quite alright so he should be stripped of whatever makes him a pharmarcist and allowed to go.simple!!Unless there is proof he has been their constant supplier in the past.
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by bikokwe(m): 12:59pm On Aug 30, 2012
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by bikokwe(m): 1:17pm On Aug 30, 2012
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news/175680-pharmacist-not-responsible-for-cynthias-death The truth is out!!!!
All of you resident in Nigeria and wishing the young man to be jailed, tell me u have never bought drugs from a chemist/pharmacy which requires a prescription without one? Antibiotics and some NSAIDS ( pain-killers) requires Prescription and these are bought on daily basis. you as a patient will be so angry In Nigeria if refused to be sold drugs to.. So common, lets be realistic this intern Pharmacist was just unlucky. If for anything, he shouldn't be held liable as he is just an INTERN undergoing training and mistakes are part of the training process. How about the owner of the pharmacy? why wasn't he apprehended? It was earlier said that because Nonso's parents refused to pay 2 million Naira bribe to the police, they decided to make him pass through this ordeal.

2 Likes

Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by APII: 1:27pm On Aug 30, 2012
1. Nonso is guilty for selling a control drug without doctors prescription.
2. It is likely that Cynthia's murderers may have told police that they do buy from Nonso sometimes, because I don't think police just woke up one morning and decide to rope Nonso into the matter.
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by tpia5: 1:32pm On Aug 30, 2012
^thank you.

if it were random like people are making it seem here, they'd have at least 20 people being detained right now.

given the way the suspects are singing like birds, its possible they said the drug used on cynthia was obtained from that pharmacy.
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by Walphem(m): 2:28pm On Aug 30, 2012
miky: Doesn't matter,, as far as he gave in to something he shouldn't have.. If he was trying to help he could have driven the guy to a hospital to go get prescription... Here in the USA the police lure child sex offenders through Internet, only to charge them later and imprison them..
I was reading ur post and I realised u said u r based in America,if u r based in Nigeria u will know what drug abuse and extreme self medication is all about,am a Pharmacist and I can imagine d scenario played out there, no matter our much u try to be professional enough it is either d patient coming in with an old prescription or begging u and tearing u down with plea just to get a 'sleep' tablet.
Until d culture of our health system is totally overhaul ds situation could ve HAPPENED TO ANY PHARMACIST IN NIGERIA;I pray he gets out of it becos I knw ao professiona ds guy is
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by Walphem(m): 2:37pm On Aug 30, 2012
I pray and hope this will take the health sector in the country to a whole new dimension-but not with an innocent scapegoat- The level of self medication in d country is so extreme,it was unfortunate that this drug was bought 4rm a registered Pharmacy becos I knw that lots of patent medicine stores keeps ds types of medications on their shelves when dey r meant to handle only OTC products.
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by infolekan(m): 3:35pm On Aug 30, 2012
bikokwe: http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news/175680-pharmacist-not-responsible-for-cynthias-death The truth is out!!!!
All of you resident in Nigeria and wishing the young man to be jailed, tell me u have never bought drugs from a chemist/pharmacy which requires a prescription without one? Antibiotics and some NSAIDS ( pain-killers) requires Prescription and these are bought on daily basis. you as a patient will be so angry In Nigeria if refused to be sold drugs to.. So common, lets be realistic this intern Pharmacist was just unlucky. If for anything, he shouldn't be held liable as he is just an INTERN undergoing training and mistakes are part of the training process. How about the owner of the pharmacy? why wasn't he apprehended? It was earlier said that because Nonso's parents refused to pay 2 million Naira bribe to the police, they decided to make him pass through this ordeal.
Its painful when people talk about what they don't really understand. The drug in Question is not ciproflox or diazepam(our valium). IT IS Flunitrazepam........a drug that is considered as a date rape drug in local parlance and you're comparing that to aspirin. Nobody wants him jailed but don't paint a saint. He suy dint start well and the fact that he sold the drug still calls for disciplinary action.
Kdular has been spewing tra** & I dint think he's worth replying.
Cocaine has a medical use but selling it to someone without prescription doesn't make it a less offence. Mistake is when he counted the wrong amount of drugs.....selling it is not a mistake. That's an informed decision
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by coogar: 3:55pm On Aug 30, 2012
APII:
1. Nonso is guilty for selling a control drug without doctors prescription.
no one has argued he wasn't guilty of selling a controlled drug - although i would get the same controlled drug in every state capital in nigeria without producing a doctor's prescription note!

2. It is likely that Cynthia's murderers may have told police that they do buy from Nonso sometimes, because I don't think police just woke up one morning and decide to rope Nonso into the matter.

if they told the police they do get the drugs from nonso, then it would have been a straight arrest! they wouldn't need to send an old man to nonso to pretend he needed the drug to cure his stomach pain! the nigerian police i know are shoddy and thoughtless - they just assumed the pharmacy where the drug was bought must be in the same vicinity of the crime scene! i am not convinced the police know where the drug was bought!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by Abenoty: 4:31pm On Aug 30, 2012
It is a pity,though,he violated the ethical professional conduct.I thing you should better get a good lawyer.
Re: Nonso-Maduakor Wrongfully Charged For Cynthia's Murder by Abenoty: 4:33pm On Aug 30, 2012
It is a pity,though,he violated the ethical professional conduct.I think you should better get a good lawyer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Marketers Give Conditions For Exposing Those Behind Fuel Scarcity / Buhari Government Reinstated Our Son Because He Is A Messiah - Maina's Family / Anambra Fire: Obiano Should Resign - Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.