Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,296 members, 7,811,884 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction (19543 Views)

Under Pressure From Boko Haram, Kidnappers, FG Endorses Militias In States / FG Endorses Cancellation Of Promotion Exams For Civil Servants / FG Endorses Sanusi! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 04, 2012
taharqa: 3 Pages and not single person have put forward a single ECONOMIC reason why this is a bad move. You keep hearing abut the introduction causing inflation yet no DATA is presented to shore up the argument; in fact, the DATA both here in Nigeria and in more advanced Economies, show little or no correlation between Inflation and Currency Denomination. Most of the arguments(if you can actually call the opposition an argument) against the policy are just anti-intellectual- just unbridled expressions of EMOTION and FEAR, Period. Imagine some persons arguing that the introduction of #5, #10, #20 coins would mean that products sold for say #10 would sell for #50 cos "Nigerians do not like coins"(that the present notes and the proposed coins would run side-by-side till the transition is effected is lost on them ). We also have some persons "arguing" that products/services presently going for say #4500 would be rounded up to #5000 as there are no items selling for #9400, #460 and #60 presently.

...by the way, it is my opinion that the policy is suspended, not cos of any ECONOMIC reasons but STRATEGIC ones- this govt should know that it can not afford too much distractions on policies without much over-arching benefits so as to FOCUS on more IMPORTANT issues. Suspend the policy, FOCUS on other some other CRITICAL ones and reintroduce it later(maybe in 2014).

Printing money = Inflation.....

Most Nigerians don't even keep their money in the bank, so expect excess currency in circulation, thus resulting in inflation... When will you lot understand that Nigeria is still about 50-70 years behind modern world in terms of banking?? Your leaders just read about something they like in theory - and next, they want to practicalize the crap on the Nigerian economy that isn't stable... Get to the river before jumping into it!!!

But why do you even need to spend billions of dollars to print a higher denomination, when there is nothing wrong with what you've got? Why fix what isn't broken? These people have got their priorities wrong and the billions they're about to waste in printing this junk can be used for other projects the Nigerian populace needs...

3 Likes

Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by 2mch(m): 10:27pm On Sep 04, 2012
Genius100:

Dude, stop being ignorant. Everybody in the USA use $100 bills, which is equivalent to N16,000. Ghana uses a 50 cedi bill which is equivalent to about N7500. What are you on about? If you ignorant about something, at least ne honest enough to know and say you are ignorant. Please show us the study that links higher notes to inflation..

Stick to what you know, music. Stop being a Fo#ol. I have explained and you are arguing what you have no idea about. Mumu like you.SMH. Even 100 and 50 dollar bills are very rare. Most people dont accept it because of security reasons. You dont know what you are talking about. Please logout.

3 Likes

Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by Nobody: 10:28pm On Sep 04, 2012
After listening to the views of  GEJ economic team on the proposed N5, 000 note, I now know why his govt is failing... He has surrounded himself with capitalist minded people who only cares of policies that favors the few and not the masses and also people who know no jack. Imagine the rubbish what Dangote, Peter Obi, Ngozi and co. were saying to justify the N5k note. . It makes me just want to give up on this country. They have their minds made up already and it seems nothing can't stop them.
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by miky(m): 10:31pm On Sep 04, 2012
2mch:

With higher denominations comes inflation. Do you think developed countries are fools? If it was a matter of how much money to handle, would they not have predated us in issuing 1 million dollar notes? Now the price of everything is going to increase drastically, and we have the same level of income. It is also going to devalue our currency on the international market. Your purchasing power vs international markets will be much lower as people have less confidence in your currency. It all has to do with how people will view your currency. Issuing higher notes creates a panic in the currency market, the trickle down effect is inflation. undecided.

lol a bit silly bro.. inflation is caused when the total value of currency printed is way to high compared to goods and service on the demand floor.. if cbn wants to print 5000 it only means fewer lesser denomination would be printed so the total value is the same... our useless naira is due to the fact we produce nothing in nigeria our trade deficit is horrible.. and sometimes economic growth can spur a bit of inflation so it can be trivial at times.. grin grin
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by taharqa: 10:32pm On Sep 04, 2012
2mch:

Look, you are dumb. Go to school or do your own research. if from my post you did not get anything, i cannot help you. An ignorant idiot arguing what he doesnt know anything about. STFU. You dont know you devalue your own currency by issuing higher notes? EWU

We are not quarreling guy, and if you actaully knew me you would not use the word "Dumb" anywhere near me. If there was anything worth paying attention to in your former comments, I wuldn't call them Rants, would I? Could you use real DATA to make your pints plz, so I can follow

By the way, I agree that the policy be suspended but not for the "reasons" you and most pips here have be giving.
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by Tekzyflex(m): 10:33pm On Sep 04, 2012
I know Nigeria will sink oneday,now ʈɧξ hour ȋ̝̊̅§ near,RIP Nigeria.
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by 2mch(m): 10:33pm On Sep 04, 2012
miky:

lol a bit silly bro.. inflation is caused when the total value of currency printed is way to high compared to goods and service on the demand floor.. if cbn wants to print 5000 it only means fewer lesser denomination would be printed so the total value is the same... our useless naira is due to the fact we produce nothing in nigeria our trade deficit is horrible.. and sometimes economic growth can spur a bit of inflation so it can be trivial at times.. grin grin

Printing N5,000 notes does not increase the amount of money in circulation? . Printing higher denomination of notes does not indicate a less valued currency? These notes are going to be in circulation are they not? . If you are a currency trader what will you think of a country with N5,000 note? Will you want to buy it?
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by yinchar(m): 10:34pm On Sep 04, 2012
obailala: Please, can someone be kind enough to explain to me why/how the N5000 note will destroy our economy/nation?? If the words of CBN are anything to go by, the new N5000 notes will not necessarily be in circulation; just like in the US where they have the $1000 and $10,000 bills (which are however not in circulation)
Please use your oblongata are you deaf that N20 N10 will go to coins.........mschwww

1 Like

Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by Nobody: 10:34pm On Sep 04, 2012
miky:

What about the excess currency already in circulation, how are they going to retrieve them in a country where more than 60% of the people don't have a bank account?

Good in theory, but this is Nigeria not an advanced country where most people keep their money in the bank.

1 Like

Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by miky(m): 10:36pm On Sep 04, 2012
2mch:

Stick to what you know, music. Stop being a Fo#ol. I have explained and you are arguing what you have no idea about. Mumu like you.SMH. Even 100 and 50 dollar bills are very rare. Most people dont accept it because of security reasons. You dont know what you are talking about. Please logout.

how do u get your information,, i withdraw cash everyday i get some in $100, and $50 too much 20's and u could loose em...
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by 2mch(m): 10:37pm On Sep 04, 2012
miky:

how do u get your information,, i withdraw cash everyday i get some in $100, and $50 too much 20's and u could loose em...

You dont know what you are talking about. I have lived in the US. It is mostly foreigners that bring in 100 and 50 dollar notes. Nigerians to be precise. Am definitely arguing with someone that has no idea. The most common currency in circulation in the US is 20 dollars and below. You can never withdraw 50 or 100 from the ATM. you have to go into the bank and specifically ask for it.

2 Likes

Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by yinchar(m): 10:40pm On Sep 04, 2012
Ekeeyhandsome: Naija is doomed 4ever....
We are not doomed my brother....we only have to collectively get rid of PDP.....and fight for what is ours.

1 Like

Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by FemiAdesina: 10:41pm On Sep 04, 2012
berem: Fucck Sanusi Lamido!
Fucck Jonathan!
Fucck NASS!
Fucck Nigeria angry
if this type of comment can get 2likes regardless of insidious acts from some of our politicians how are the citizens imagine our future .. Na WA o
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by ZeusI: 10:42pm On Sep 04, 2012
obailala: Please, can someone be kind enough to explain to me why/how the N5000 note will destroy our economy/nation?? If the words of CBN are anything to go by, the new N5000 notes will not necessarily be in circulation; just like in the US where they have the $1000 and $10,000 bills (which are however not in circulation)
Prof. Obai. Can you kindly explain to this honourable house what the said $1,000 & $10,000 is doing if it is not in circulation, then, elaborate on how Naira will serve same purpose. If you can't kindly take a bow and leave, okay? Now proceed.;>
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by taharqa: 10:42pm On Sep 04, 2012
shymexx:

Printing money = Inflation.....

Most Nigerians don't even keep their money in the bank, so expect excess currency in circulation, thus resulting in inflation
... When will you lot understand that Nigeria is still about 50-70 years behind modern world in terms of banking?? Your leaders just read about something they like in theory - and next, they want to practicalize the crap on the Nigerian economy that isn't stable... Get to the river before jumping into it!!!

But why do you even need to spend billions of dollars to print a higher denomination, when there is nothing wrong with what you've got? Why fix what isn't broken? These people have got their priorities wrong and the billions they're about to waste in printing this junk can be used for other projects the Nigerian populace needs...

If this is true why did inflation rate go from about 26% in July 2005(The #1000 note ws introduced in Oct 2005) to 12.7% today?

And you re very wrong that the mere "printing of money" causes inflation. It is the money supply REALATIVE t the goods/services available in n economy that "causes" inflation. If this argument is even close to been correct, then Japan should have the highest Rte of Inflation in the world since it has Y10,000(which it introduced in 2007); however, its Inflation rte is -0.4%(actually deflation).

Let me reiterate, I agree that the policy be suspended for other reasons(strategic reasons), not for the "reasons" you and most pips here have be giving.
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by miky(m): 10:45pm On Sep 04, 2012
shymexx:

What about the excess currency already in circulation, how are they going to retrieve them in a country where more than 60% of the people don't have a bank account?

Good in theory, but this is Nigeria not an advanced country where most people keep their money in the bank.

lol i believe your smarter than this.. ever heard of interest and lending rates?? well the banks can increase their lending rates this way its harder for people to borrow money as loans.. this takes out cash from system overtime!! cbn can also sell treasury bonds to banks and collect cash from them..no one personally goes to the bank to give money back or vice versa!!

ethiopia currency is about 7 : 1 US Dollar

Ethiopians is not a modern country either grin they dont have as much banks as us either, so why is this so?? they import less than they export and have a better trade deficit..

the issue of having banks, and denomination is such a non-issue to cry about that i feel sad about the Nigerian ignorance !!
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by EXCELLENCEAbia: 10:46pm On Sep 04, 2012
i'm sorry to say this but of a truth i'm fade-up with mr president imfact i wish you yaradua
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by Elueme: 10:47pm On Sep 04, 2012
2mch:

With higher denominations comes inflation. Do you think developed countries are fools? If it was a matter of how much money to handle, would they not have predated us in issuing 1 million dollar notes? Now the price of everything is going to increase drastically, and we have the same level of income. It is also going to devalue our currency on the international market. Your purchasing power vs international markets will be much lower as people have less confidence in your currency. It all has to do with how people will view your currency. Issuing higher notes creates a panic in the currency market, the trickle down effect is inflation. undecided.
I don't quite agree with your assertions.. The points you raised above could just be your psychology and it is the same way most Nigerians are thinking right now.. There are economic and market forces that determine inflation and cause currency devaluation not on the denomination itself.. Why has the dollar not been devalued even with their $100,000 , $10,000 or $5000 bills.. How abt Japan and other countries.. Ok, let's put Ghana in perspective with their hundreds of thousands of CDs their currency is even waxing stronger.. In as much as I don't advocate for this new policy, we should be able to tell ourselves the real issues other than looting and inflation .. The economists know so I expect them to sensitize us
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by taharqa: 10:47pm On Sep 04, 2012
miky:

Absolutely @ the Bolded....though I dont quite agree that the naira is "useless"
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by koman: 10:48pm On Sep 04, 2012
If u ask me,
This wil definitely skyrocket d price of G4 around naija.
I tink the Ga.....,ativists shld protest against dis currency tin.
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by Rhino5dm: 10:48pm On Sep 04, 2012
I thought some of these toads complaining voted for GEJ and not PDP? Enjoy your fresh air jooor! No thanks to the 22 million fools.

MostIncredible.DFirst:
It wud not be a bad idea for Sanusi Lamido Sanusi 2b immediately assassinated- in oda to send a strong signal to his likes 2kno dat anti-people policy can no longer be tolerated by nigerians.
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 04, 2012
Then Bleep the FG. I will champion the war against the FG in this N5,000 Note printing. Fuk the FG Once more
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by miky(m): 10:52pm On Sep 04, 2012
2mch:

You dont know what you are talking about. I have lived in the US. It is mostly foreigners that bring in 100 and 50 dollar notes. Nigerians to be precise. Am definitely arguing with someone that has no idea. The most common currency in circulation in the US is 20 dollars and below. You can never withdraw 50 or 100 from the ATM. you have to go into the bank and specifically ask for it.

can u read does withdrawing specifically mean atm machines.. as a med student here in the states, i withdraw cash from 3k to 4k depending on situation.. its not even safe to do that driving through those atm machines, dont get killed bro lol grin

obviously $20 is common so is $1 which is probably more common... but the point u stated previously was that 50, and 100 are not really used??
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by chemashie(m): 10:52pm On Sep 04, 2012
Tunsbobo: Its a good policy if u ask me.....!
Yan me d dust make i measure ur IQ.
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by PEREP: 10:55pm On Sep 04, 2012
Mr. Globe:
GEJ will not go until he sinks this country. He should make it easier for everybody by just dividing the nation. what a clueless govt

There goes the word again 'Clueless' without objectively reading the details given by Sanusi or analyse the debates when the national assembly resumes and he briefs the house/senate. This is a country and not a polygamous settings.
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by Nobody: 10:56pm On Sep 04, 2012
taharqa:
If this is true why did inflation rate go from about 26% in July 2005(The #1000 note ws introduced in Oct 2005) to 12.7% today?

Where is the proper analysis, not figures made up by CBN? Let's do a comparative analysis - what was the price of a loaf of bread in Nigeria in 2005(when inflation was 26%) compared to today(when inflation is said to be 12,5%)? If price level has increased astronomically, then you should know that the 12.7% figure is a complete lie!!!

And you re very wrong that the mere "printing of money" causes inflation. It is the money supply REALATIVE t the goods/services available in n economy that "causes" inflation. If this argument is even close to been correct, then Japan should have the highest Rte of Inflation in the world since it has Y10,000(which it introduced in 2007); however, its Inflation rte is -0.4%(actually deflation).

You can't compare Japan to Nigeria, Japan keeps the value of its currency down for a reason, the same applies to China. Japan is an 'exporting' country, and Nigeria is a 'consuming' country... Nigeria produces absolutely nothing, and imports virtually everything... And Japan has an advanced banking system, and most Japanese keep their money in the bank - so it would be easier to retrieve the money in circulation... How do you retrieve money in a country where most people don't even have a bank account??

If we had hype-inflation like what Zimbabwe had in the past, that may justify the need to print higher denomination - but there's absolutely nothing wrong with what Nigeria has got at the moment... So, why fix it? These clowns are just looking for money to steal, period.

2 Likes

Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by miky(m): 10:57pm On Sep 04, 2012
taharqa:

Absolutely @ the Bolded....though I dont quite agree that the naira is "useless"

lol i dont either grin grin,, bros i wonder why people think this would lead to corruption.. those thieves only steal in dollars, 5000 is barely more than $30.. imagine wanting to steal as much money as possible and get on the next plane out of naija.. is it naira u want or dollars, and which country apart from naija could u change that at... even domestic bribery lawan vs otedola was done in dollars
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by 2mch(m): 10:57pm On Sep 04, 2012
miky:

can u read does withdrawing specifically mean atm machines.. as a med student here in the states, i withdraw cash from 3k to 4k depending on situation.. its not even safe to do that driving through those atm machines, dont get killed bro lol grin

obviously $20 is common so is $1 which is probably more common... but the point u stated previously was that 50, and 100 are not really used??

I exposed your lie, that is the point. You said you get 100 and 50 dollars like it is in circulation and used everyday. When you actually have to specifically go into the bank and ask for it. Obviously those are the largest amounts of currency in the US and they are not as common as the lower denominations. I know stores that will not accept the 100 dollar note, and will closely scrutinize it before accepting. Now i want you to explain, why the US does not creat 1,000 notes so that you can boast around or carry 3 notes of your 1,000 embarassed

2 Likes

Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by israelbenzion: 10:58pm On Sep 04, 2012
Billyonaire: [size=15pt]I HATE COINS !!![/size]

Ha! Wonders shall never end! Tot u wud hv been bending our ears on d beauty of coins seeing as GEJ has endorsed. I'm really surprised u said this. For once u said ur real mind.....

1 Like

Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by ZeusI: 10:59pm On Sep 04, 2012
taharqa: 3 Pages and not single person have put forward a single ECONOMIC reason why this is a bad move. You keep hearing abut the introduction causing inflation yet no DATA is presented to shore up the argument; in fact, the DATA both here in Nigeria and in more advanced Economies, show little or no correlation between Inflation and Currency Denomination. Most of the arguments(if you can actually call the opposition an argument) against the policy are just anti-intellectual- just unbridled expressions of EMOTION and FEAR, Period. Imagine some persons "arguing" that the introduction of #5, #10, #20 coins would mean that products sold for say #10 would sell for #50 cos "Nigerians do not like coins"(that the present notes and the proposed coins would run side-by-side till the transition is effected is lost on them ). We also have some persons "arguing" that products/services presently going for say #4500 would be rounded up to #5000 as there are no items selling for #9400, #460 and #60 presently.

...by the way, it is my opinion that the policy be suspended, not cos of any ECONOMIC reasons but STRATEGIC ones- this govt should know that it can not afford too much distractions on policies without much over-arching benefits so as to FOCUS on more IMPORTANT issues. Suspend the policy, FOCUS on other some other CRITICAL ones and reintroduce it later(maybe in 2014).
Young man, take a deep breath, walk into the bathroom, take a warm shower and then, finally, GO TO BED! You are making no sense at all. And tomorrow go and see your physician for 'mental myopia', okay?:@
Re: FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction by taharqa: 11:00pm On Sep 04, 2012
And @shymexx, before I 4get...I think the Central Bank have said that it might not be up to #40billion, certainly not all would be cos of the new Currency cos it will include the cost of printing already exiting currency- you do not actually think that the existing currency are printed free of charge, do you? . Billions are already been used to print the existing currency; in fact, the Central Bank says that in the long run, the money used to manage the currency would reduce which makes sense cos a larger denomination and the "Cashless" policy would certainly reduce the cost of printing notes....I would try to find out the initial cost in introducing this currency though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

PMS Price Hike: Labour, FG Talks Deadlocked / Trekker, Suleman Hashimu going for Hajj / Adeleke's Death & Coroner: Grace Titi-Laoye Tomori & Amobi Contradict Each Other

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.