Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,292 members, 7,818,990 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (108) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1834745 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 11:27am On Sep 17, 2013
@gregdcutie college of medicine university of lagos(cmul)/luth.........d xame question goes 2 u.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gregdcutie(m): 11:30am On Sep 17, 2013
aliandro: @gregdcutie college of medicine university of lagos(cmul)/luth.........d xame question goes 2 u.
same here bro funny caus I may even know you
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 11:30am On Sep 17, 2013
Gregdcutie.........great idi arabites....we still dey wait 4 our 2nd semester exam ooooo
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gregdcutie(m): 11:34am On Sep 17, 2013
aliandro: Gregdcutie.........great idi arabites....we still dey wait 4 our 2nd semester exam ooooo
now I get you are a utme student buh i just finish diploma thats why I guess buh anywaiz we're all idiarabites now and as regards your 2nd semester exams am wishing u all the best...trusting you'll blast those FSC's
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 17, 2013
Sorry, to everyone of you that i might have annoyed. Please all my oga at the top, which text book i can start reading now for 100level oau mbbs. Sorry again, to all my oga at the top. We all heath sciences are great!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 17, 2013
Messilo: Sorry, to everyone of you that i might have annoyed. Please all my oga at the top, which text book i can start reading now for 100level oau mbbs. Sorry again, to all my oga at the top. We all heath sciences are great!

aaaawwwwww.....u guys are sweeeetttttttt! Apology is accepted! Abeg, una shld pardon my boss oo....100L is phy, chem, zoology, botany etc. I didn't get any textbooks when i was der, well, unseriousness was my watchword den sha...Basically, any advanced level textbooks in dose courses shld c you through. Good luck!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 11:40am On Sep 17, 2013
@messilo,nelkon and parker advanced level physics,lamlard first year physics,central chemistry,cambridge biology,old notes,past questions and d G factor
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 11:44am On Sep 17, 2013
@oluafolabi,alkonami........pre medical students needs orientation.....Dr lomaxx has given his,Dr aluta is about 2 dat.......In ur own version plsssss
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gregdcutie(m): 11:44am On Sep 17, 2013
Messilo: Sorry, to everyone of you that i might have annoyed. Please all my oga at the top, which text book i can start reading now for 100level oau mbbs. Sorry again, to all my oga at the top. We all heath sciences are great!
integrated principles of zoology,pure maths,biological sciences,advanced chemistry
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gregdcutie(m): 11:48am On Sep 17, 2013
integrated principles of zoology,pure maths,biological sciences,advanced chemistry and whilst you read them leave room for possible changes on some informations as the ultimate answer...and by ultimate I mean the one that will be recognised in ur skul exam is the one taught by ur lecturer

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 17, 2013
Gregdcutie: integrated principles of zoology,pure maths,biological sciences,advanced chemistry and whilst you read them leave room for possible changes on some informations as the ultimate answer...and by ultimate I mean the one that will be recognised in ur skul exam is the one taught by ur lecturer

Oau health sciences students don't take maths!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 17, 2013
Gregdcutie: integrated principles of zoology,pure maths,biological sciences,advanced chemistry
but one my friends said, oau mbbs didn't do maths in 100level, hence, thanks for your contribution.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 17, 2013
@alutacontinua, are you an oau student?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
Messilo: @alutacontinua, are you an oau student?

I was!
Ran away before the end of 100L! embarassed lipsrsealed undecided
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 17, 2013
alutacontinua:

I was!
Ran away before the end of 100L! embarassed lipsrsealed undecided
still laughing, why are run away!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
You'll be offering CHM 101 (Fundamental of physical chemistry, Abass Olajire); PHY 105( lamlard Physics/College Physics); Zoology(strictly your note); Botany(strictly your note); Sociology and Anthropology(be patient for orders from your lecturer). Plus practicals. Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gregdcutie(m): 12:07pm On Sep 17, 2013
alutacontinua:

Oau health sciences students don't take maths!
wow dats a first..just getting to know that for the first time eniwaiz that means less of calculative courses for you then and more "tori-tori" courses
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 17, 2013
Messilo: still laughing, why are run away!

Lolz...don't mind me.
My spirit just didn't stay in OAU. Wanted to change to UI actually but guess God had other plans for me.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
alutacontinua:

Lolz...don't mind me.
My spirit just didn't stay in OAU. Wanted to change to UI actually but guess God had other plans for me.
that is great! You must be a genius,you leave a competitive school for another competitive one. you are great!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
Messilo: that is great! You must be a genius,you leave a competitive school for another competitive one. you are great!

I'm just der jor......
I'm nt in UI actually, tinz didn't go as I planned but all the same, i'm still in a med school. Nd i'm looovvvviiiinnnnnggggg it!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:44pm On Sep 17, 2013
alutacontinua:

I'm just der jor......
I'm nt in UI actually, tinz didn't go as I planned but all the same, i'm still in a med school. Nd i'm looovvvviiiinnnnnggggg it!
oau is good! I wish you stayed at great ife!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 1:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
seems the room is filled with fresh men.....welcome to the club....enjoy your orientation...*just passing by*
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 3:27pm On Sep 17, 2013
appology accepted. Hw u dey na?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 3:29pm On Sep 17, 2013
aliandro: @messilo,nelkon and parker advanced level physics,lamlard first year physics,central chemistry,cambridge biology,old notes,past questions and d G factor
pls which is d G factor?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by AmbFitsaint(m): 4:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
Gud to know no maths for us.
@ messilo, are u 2go? Let's meet.
Pls, @ all, if a medical student dreams of becoming a nobel laureate in medicine. Is dat dream too big considering d fact dat dr ben carson with all his groudbreaking and breathtaking achievements and records has not won dis pretigious award? Thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by AmbFitsaint(m): 5:10pm On Sep 17, 2013
alutacontinua:

Lolz...don't mind me.

Why did u want to opt for a change.
I av 4 friends who re admitted for mbbs in oau(some are yet but av beaten the cutoff tru pd) still applying for UI's admission. If i am invited, i also want to write it but virtually for d fun of it.
One of them told me oau is too demanding and stressful to study from d little he passed tru in pd.

Any?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 6:24pm On Sep 17, 2013
Miss aluta don pass level 1 oooo,if am not mistaken,she is a year 3 student in a university in d carribean part of d world......Dr lomaxx,aw was ur exam?......I know itz a peanut 4 a personality like u
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 7:09pm On Sep 17, 2013
aliandro: ......Dr lomaxx,aw was ur exam?......I know itz a peanut 4 a personality like u

There is not peanut exam in medical school. Whether an exam is peanut or not depends on:
1) How often you read your material
2) If you read the right material
3) How well you read in between the lines( especially if MCQs and Negative Marking is involved)

I tried my best. cheesy

And here I must emphasize the importance of attending lectures and copying first-hand notes from lecturers. If you want to make life easy for yourself, don't miss a class. Never ever!

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 7:55pm On Sep 17, 2013
Gregdcutie: all these my coursemates are terrifying me with theis reading zeal...trying to finish syllabus b4 we resum in january @idiaraba

I was in this shoe once. Reading ahead of pre-clinicals. Now let me pause here to give an observation.

Excelling in Pre-Medical year is much about how well you observe tradition in your school and also about how much you work hard. What do I mean by tradition?

Example, If tradition has it that notes are the rate limiting step for zoology, and you kill yourself with hardwork over some zoology textbook, you are so on your own. If your seniors say note is what is needed, you have no business going outside your notes.

Pre-Meds (especially those just admitted) in your various med schools, do well to have someone in the class just above you - to feed you with updated ways of passing each course well and avoiding pitfalls.

Pre-Clinicals is much about how well you are smart to revolve your time about the volumes of Gross Anatomy, the ambiguity of Embryology , the vagueness of Histology and still have a headway in the intense volumes of mechanisms and processes in Physiology coupled with the dense pathways of biochemistry.

You have to be smart with your time. How much time you invest in a course will determine how smoothly it would go for you.

Some people end up doing so well in Anatomy or Biochemistry (because they are perceived as difficult) while their Physiology is very leaky. [b] You must strike a balance. Zeal may not help too much here. You need to be smart.

For those reading ahead of Pre-Clinicals, I recommend that you avoid Keith Moore (for now). Why? It's too voluminous and you will only end up reading too much stuff. Mostly irrelevant stuff. For your Gross, I endorse Snell's Clinical Anatomy. For histology, I endorse BRS Histology. For Embryology, I endorse BRS Embryology. You can get the BRS Books off the net.

I used Snell's, BRS Histo and BRS Embryo. I never had below a 69% in Anatomy and my Physiology and Biochemistry was perfect. I never even read so zealously.

I had people that used Keith Moore and all other popular books but came close with so much zealous work. What if I was zealous? Food for thought.

For Physiology, I endorse either of Guyton & Hall or Ganong or Fox Physiology. BRS Physiology is good. I used Guyton and BRS Physiology and stood a chance at a distinction viva. Medical school politics stood in my way. It's a long story.

For Biochemistry, I endorse Vazudevan Biochemistry. There's Harpers Illustrated Biochemistry and Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry for lovers of hyper-stuff. My combo was Vazudevan and Kaplan Biochemistry. I used Kaplan more.

Your note would be the most important thing you will need. Make sure you copy well.

Managing information in med school is very important. There are too much information you don't need circulating in standard texts. You must be wise in knowing what you need. This is where a syllabus comes in. I have a standard and comprehensive MBBS Syllabus for Pre-Clinical year gotten from a Med School somewhere in Europe. It's a standard syllabus. It's in .pdf. There's an email address in my profile. If you need it, send me a mail.

Good luck to all pre-meds and pre-clinical folks. Even to aspirants. Bless!!!

8 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dabss(m): 8:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
Gregdcutie: wow dats a first..just getting to know that for the first time eniwaiz that means less of calculative courses for you then and more "tori-tori" courses
ABU med students also don't do maths. No need.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gregdcutie(m): 8:13pm On Sep 17, 2013
lomaxx:

I was in this shoe once. Reading ahead of pre-clinicals. Now let me pause here to give an observation.

Excelling in Pre-Medical year is much about how well you observe tradition in your school and also about how much you work hard. What do I mean by tradition?

Example, If tradition has it that notes are the rate limiting step for zoology, and you kill yourself with hardwork over some zoology textbook, you are so on your own. If your seniors say note is what is needed, you have no business going outside your notes.

Pre-Meds (especially those just admitted) in your various med schools, do well to have someone in the class just above you - to feed you with updated ways of passing each course well and avoiding pitfalls.

Pre-Clinicals is much about how well you are smart to revolve your time about the volumes of Gross Anatomy, the ambiguity of Embryology , the vagueness of Histology and still have a headway in the intense volumes of mechanisms and processes in Physiology coupled with the dense pathways of biochemistry.

You have to be smart with your time. How much time you invest in a course will determine how smoothly it would go for you.

Some people end up doing so well in Anatomy or Biochemistry (because they are perceived as difficult) while their Physiology is very leaky. [b] You must strike a balance. Zeal may not help too much here. You need to be smart.

For those reading ahead of Pre-Clinicals, I recommend that you avoid Keith Moore (for now). Why? It's too voluminous and you will only end up reading too much stuff. Mostly irrelevant stuff. For your Gross, I endorse Snell's Clinical Anatomy. For histology, I endorse BRS Histology. For Embryology, I endorse BRS Embryology. You can get the BRS Books off the net.

I used Snell's, BRS Histo and BRS Embryo. I never had below a 69% in Anatomy and my Physiology and Biochemistry was perfect. I never even read so zealously.

I had people that used Keith Moore and all other popular books but came close with so much zealous work. What if I was zealous? Food for thought.

For Physiology, I endorse either of Guyton & Hall or Ganong or Fox Physiology. BRS Physiology is good. I used Guyton and BRS Physiology and stood a chance at a distinction viva. Medical school politics stood in my way. It's a long story.

For Biochemistry, I endorse Vazudevan Biochemistry. There's Harpers Illustrated Biochemistry and Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry for lovers of hyper-stuff. My combo was Vazudevan and Kaplan Biochemistry. I used Kaplan more.

Your note would be the most important thing you will need. Make sure you copy well.

Managing information in med school is very important. There are too much information you don't need circulating in standard texts. You must be wise in knowing what you need. This is where a syllabus comes in. I have a standard and comprehensive MBBS Syllabus for Pre-Clinical year gotten from a Med School somewhere in Europe. It's a standard syllabus. It's in .pdf. There's an email address in my profile. If you need it, send me a mail.

Good luck to all pre-meds and pre-clinical folks. Even to aspirants. Bless!!!
@sirlomaxx thanks a whole lot, very insightful post u have there, ve sent u the email message, am a bit relaxed now.Thanks and wishin u exam success >>in my oliver twist voice>>could u also send me soft copies of these textbooks if you have any¤
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by joshuapharm(m): 8:37pm On Sep 17, 2013
lomaxx:

Joshuapharm is a household name in NL. If you visit the Health Section, you will see the enormous work he is doing there. I admire what he does there on daily basis.

He's proud of his profession and he likes what he is doing. Passion that rekindles for Pharmacy is in his DNA. He is not envious of anybody. Each time I visit the Health Section, I wish he could grace this thread the way he does over there.

Please, desist from assuming too fast.

Wooooow!!! My head started swelling as I read this.. Thank you very much.

Bro, calm down biko. One day you will get MBBS and you'd realize that it's just MBBS. Nothing more.

It is a level-playing ground here. Anybody is free to contribute and post. There's no segregation whatsoever. You can either sit on the fence and watch or make contributions to the thread.

Nobody is against anybody. We are all united in this forum.
What was your question again?

Wooooow!!! My head started swelling as I read this.. Thank you very much.

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.