Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,739 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (109) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1832819 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SamConquer(m): 8:47pm On Sep 17, 2013
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SamConquer(m): 8:55pm On Sep 17, 2013
Messilo: Sorry, to everyone of you that i might have annoyed. Please all my oga at the top, which text book i can start reading now for 100level oau mbbs. Sorry again, to all my oga at the top. We all heath sciences are great!
Rubbish!!!Medicine after death.You can't tell Me that you were'nt aware of the brouhaha that will emenate from your Callous Statement.You are Just trying to act on a Script which you have Arranged.Imagine telling a Pharmacy Student that Nonsense.I know you where feeling kinda Intimidated so you just decided to Spew gibberish...Let me educate You a bit...If You are current I hope you heard of the Story of a Medical graduate who after Graduating decided to drop his Stethoscope and venture into Illegal oil business[am sure he later discover that what he thought about Medicine,was not what it turn out to be] and was Caught,what about Patrick Soon-Shiong a Medical doctor by Profession,but venture into Pharmaceuticals(America Pharma partners,Abraxis Bioscience) which made him a Forbes-known-billonaire....Stay there and think that reading only M.b.b.S is the only thing.I hope if you have meet or See some 'established' Doctors you will notice the Long Qualification that followed their Names and Mbbs..Dr paul orhii read m.b.b.s,Law, and even Pharmacology,I know of Some Docs who even went ahead to read management courses after m.b.b.s...You con come here dey run Your Mouth.So Nigga,I think You are the one who need to go and get another Jamb Form and apply for Pharmacy ......

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gregdcutie(m): 9:06pm On Sep 17, 2013
joshuapharm:

Wooooow!!! My head started swelling as I read this.. Thank you very much.
sha dont let it burst
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 17, 2013
Where is our health sector heading for?
SamConquer: Rubbish!!!Medicine after death.You can't tell Me that you were'nt aware of the brouhaha that will emenate from your Callous Statement.You are Just trying to act on a Script which you have Arranged.Imagine telling a Pharmacy Student that Nonsense.I know you where feeling kinda Intimidated so you just decided to Spew gibberish...Let me educate You a bit...If You are current I hope you heard of the Story of a Medical graduate who after Graduating decided to drop his Stethoscope and venture into Illegal oil business[am sure he later discover that what he thought about Medicine,was not what it turn out to be] and was Caught,what about Patrick Soon-Shiong a Medical doctor by Profession,but venture into Pharmaceuticals(America Pharma partners,Abraxis Bioscience) which made him a Forbes-known-billonaire....Stay there and think that reading only M.b.b.S is the only thing.I hope if you have meet or See some 'established' Doctors you will notice the Long Qualification that followed their Names and Mbbs..Dr paul orhii read m.b.b.s,Law, and even Pharmacology,I know of Some Docs who even went ahead to read management courses after m.b.b.s...You con come here dey run Your Mouth.So Nigga,I think You are the one who need to go and get another Jamb Form and apply for Pharmacy ......
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gregdcutie(m): 10:08pm On Sep 17, 2013
enough with the hate already our senior colleagues in NMA and JOHESU are already at longerheads lets not join in that fight abeg o.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gregdcutie(m): 10:12pm On Sep 17, 2013
Gregdcutie: @sirlomaxx thanks a whole lot, very insightful post u have there, ve sent u the email message, am a bit relaxed now.Thanks and wishin u exam success >>in my oliver twist voice>>could u also send me soft copies of these textbooks if you have any¤
thanks sirlomaxx ve gotten the email message

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 10:15pm On Sep 17, 2013
Gregdcutie: thanks sirlomaxx ve gotten the email message

You're welcome. Those BRS Books are quite large. Sending over email isn't healthy for bandwidth. I'll tell you where to find them.

Search with http://www.filecrop.com . You can use 4shared.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gregdcutie(m): 10:18pm On Sep 17, 2013
lomaxx:

You're welcome. Those BRS Books are quite large. Sending over email isn't healthy for bandwidth. I'll tell you where to find them.

Search with http://www.filecrop.com . You can use 4shared.
thanks a whole bunch..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:18pm On Sep 17, 2013
Hi. embarassed
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 10:23pm On Sep 17, 2013
Lagusta: Hi. embarassed

Dockeeeeyyyyyy cheesy cheesy
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Breezy90(m): 10:31pm On Sep 17, 2013
D niga caused it all..I knw d bro is findin it hard 2 forget dat issue buh bro let by gone be by gone..I am a pharmacy student 2 nd I hav medical fwends who taunt me dat all I wil do afta school is just sit down nd sell drugs.buh tings r reli different..plz letz forget all dese issue nd let's move on.ONE LOVE MEDICOS

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TONYE001(m): 10:35pm On Sep 17, 2013
Hello friends,

Greetings.

Here is a link to the stories of my West Africa adventure. Please endeavor to read at your spare time.

Thanks.

https://www.nairaland.com/1439508/nairalanders-tale-west-african-tour
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:39pm On Sep 17, 2013
lomaxx:

Dockeeeeyyyyyy cheesy cheesy

Hey Bro, How's the thread, I see u're giving the blastocysts tips and hints to become full-term docs!!! Keep up the good work......

alutacontinua will be so proud of you!!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Breezy90(m): 10:40pm On Sep 17, 2013
plz can I hav an insight on d courses we r likely 2 do in 200 level pharmacy nd mayb u can point out important places I cud read 4 d mean tym...again do pharmacy student do anything related to anatomy phsyiology or biochem.just a curious fella here.help a bro awt.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 11:45pm On Sep 17, 2013
I cant just stop clapping.Dr lomaxx,u made my day with diz fantastic write up........Dr lagusta,i dey expect ur own version of diz kind of write up........dr miss aluta,am still waiting.A great task ahead.....let sleeping continue 1st,i no fit read aqain
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:13am On Sep 18, 2013
Honestly Dr. Lomax you are a phenom grin Thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:24am On Sep 18, 2013
Lagusta:

Hey Bro, How's the thread, I see u're giving the blastocysts tips and hints to become full-term docs!!! Keep up the good work......

alutacontinua will be so proud of you!!!!

Hey, where have you been

eeehhhrrmmmm.....I really dunno what to say about this whole pre-clinical thing.
Basically, you do the basic courses: PHYSIOLOGY, BIOCHEMISTRY, ANATOMY (HISTOLOGY, EMBRYOLOGY, NEUROANATOMY), Over here, we do all the courses before the clinicals...that includes Pathology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Psychology etc. But I think you do those in your clinical years in Nigeria. However way it is, one major advice is that YOU SHOULD KNOW YOURSELF! That's as basic as it comes, don't compare yourself with anybody. One mistake most medical students make is trying to copy friends, most especially when you just get to Med School. Your friend reads for 10 hours in the night and you also want to read for 10 hours. It doesn't work that way!

You need to know what works for you...some people read in the library, others get inspiration on their bed, some people (like me) go to botanical gardens to read undecided undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin...however it is, in the end, what matters most is the score on the board. By the time you have your 'A', everybody automatically believes you read for 20 hours per day even if you did it for 2 hours. If you need 10 hours each day to achieve your goal, don't go for 9 hrs 59 seconds....just because your friend is watching Man-Utd match and you also have to watch. Politics is something you wanna be careful of too...if you don't have the spirit to combine it (which is mostly difficult), you don't have to do it because your friend is doing it. In the end, med school is a personal race and that your friend of today might not even be on your facebook contacts in the next 5 years.

You need to discover yourself-
HOW DO YOU ASSIMILATE BEST? Some people do a whole lot better with diagrams, while some read it and can figure it out...If you do much better with diagrams, then, you need some damn good atlas! DON'T CRAM (except when necessary wink grin)-Read and understand it...everything is understandable, even if it means interpreting it in your local dialect. If you have access to internet, google is the best thing than can happen to a medical student. Once you come across a word that is too big, even if it sounds familiar, so far as you can't say what EXACTLY it mean, GOOGLE IT!
WHEN DO YOU ASSIMILATE BEST? To some, it's in the day, take full advantage of it. That would mean less Chelsea and your girlfriends might have to take over night shifts, well, that's the sacrifice you have to make. If you assimilate much better in the night, you'll have to keep those eyez wide open however it takes.
WHERE DO YOU ASSIMILATE BEST? This is another question you need to answer truthfully, not everybody assimilates well in the library! I can count the no of tyms i've gone to read in our library before. My excuse-the atmosphere is too serious. I mostly do it on my bed. My reading chair sef, i only dust it once in a while! However, there're times when the bed is not working, I don't wait for anybody to tell me to get another base before I do! In the end, I should be able to retire to my bed at night and boast to myself of a day well-spent!

By the time you figure out how to get the best, all other things are simple! You can cross any hurdle. In the end, it's just information that needs to be passed into your brain. LOVE YOUR LECTURERS! Most especially, if you're the type that learns more when someone teaches you! I know some Nigerian lecturers can be frustrating lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed but still try and get what you need from them. Don't believe any course is almighty, that was one thing that helped, anatomy is simple, biochemistry is simple, even pharmacology that wanted to prove stubborn, i eventually had an 'A' in it. When it comes to you like a flood, you raise up a standard against it. That's the way forward! You have to be more stubborn, no course can overcome you!

There might be times when you'll do your best and things don't go as it ought to be, i experienced dt in one of my semesters and even though it seemed very odd and annoying at the moment, i even starting thinking back if I had done something for God to be punishing me that way grin grin grin, you need to take comfort in the part of 'you did your best'. Apparently, you must have done your best, maybe you didn't do it right or you had too much hopes, however it is, don't let it weigh you down. Press forward, it'll be difficult to dust but stuff happens! A part of me feels glad that it happened, though! That particular semester spoilt my 'all A-s' paroles but it was an experience worth going through! At least the part where you have to start counting how much fornication you have/have not indulged in and start asking for forgiveness. 'Have mercy on your child, oh Lord' kind of prayer... grin grin grin grin grin grin

In one sentence, Eat well, sleep well, read well, play well, pray well (for those who believe in it), trust me, it helps! and PASS WELL!

Phew! i'm talking too much, i hope the above helps sha....GOOD LUCK GUYS!

8 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by JewelBukky(f): 7:04am On Sep 18, 2013
Tnx fr d above Dr aluta. More ink to ur pen!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 7:11am On Sep 18, 2013
My wife friend Aluta has said it all. grin grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Hoyeenz(f): 7:13am On Sep 18, 2013
(Physical pharmacy, it has chemistry, micro et al)Pharmaceutical chemistry( basic organic chemistry), pharm. Micro. (Tutorial pharmacy, Hugo n Rusell, theory n practice of clean water), the simplest anatomy ever, physiology (Ganong is ohk), clin. Pharm. Pharmaceutics (pharmaceitiical codex,pharmaceutical calculations), pharmacognosy(Trease and Evans). That all I can remember but I think there is always a tutorial after exam for 200L students. Just pray ASUU end the strike in time n pls, read well o. #Idi-araba
Breezy90: plz can I hav an insight on d courses we r likely 2 do in 200 level pharmacy nd mayb u can point out important places I cud read 4 d mean tym...again do pharmacy student do anything related to anatomy phsyiology or biochem.just a curious fella here.help a bro awt.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:33am On Sep 18, 2013
@Dr Lomaxx and Dr Aluta. That was a great tip from you guys. Thanks so much.
@Aliandro, how far na?.. Hope you aren't too vexed with ASUU seeing as Idi-Araba is so near and yet so far.. Lol!..
@Hesjay you still dey read sha, I sure say na that Dr. Ajiboye dey behind una Pume cheesy cheesy .
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 18, 2013
Amb Fitsaint:
Pls, @ all, if a medical student dreams of becoming a nobel laureate in medicine. Is dat dream too big considering d fact dat dr ben carson with all his groudbreaking and breathtaking achievements and records has not won dis pretigious award? Thanks

No dream is too big a dream. A former SU president of my school always says 'Impossible is nothing'. It just depends on how you want to go about it.

The guys that win the nobel laureate in medicine are not usually the basic physicians we know, some of them are biochemists, or even people in sciences that deviated towards medical research. Seeing as Dr.Carson is a great surgeon he would have merited it if it was based on that.

If you really want to pursue that dream, after your MBBS, you can decide to have your masters in medical biochemistry or pharmacology or any field that would require you to carry out research and that would have effect on a larger populace.

Keep your dreams alive bro wink
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 9:03am On Sep 18, 2013
Dr lomaxx, Dr. Alutacontinua, there is one very important issue you guys fail to add always...... PRAYER!!!!!!!

you can never make it as a medical student without God on your side, Christian or Muslim.....

I once had a classmate who was so brilliant, he was the overall best student while he was in the polytechnic, he gained admission to study geology, but his passion for medicine drove him wild..... however he was given anatomy..

But that didn't stop him, he crossed over to medicine (Cos of his terribly high GPA )... in the end, he repeated the 2nd year and was withdrawn in the third. Year,,,,,,,,

What's the point? Look at me, I am not as stuffy as lomaxx, but by God's blessings, mercy and favour, I scaled through all the bitter years of medical school.....

peeps, always put God first, never be proud to others, always respect your seniors and lecturers, read well, attend classes and practicals, form group discussions, but PRAY PRAY AND PRAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!

I'll be back, this nurse wants to kiss me.... undecided

5 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Breezy90(m): 9:25am On Sep 18, 2013
Hoyeenz: (Physical pharmacy, it has chemistry, micro et al)Pharmaceutical chemistry( basic organic chemistry), pharm. Micro. (Tutorial pharmacy, Hugo n Rusell, theory n practice of clean water), the simplest anatomy ever, physiology (Ganong is ohk), clin. Pharm. Pharmaceutics (pharmaceitiical codex,pharmaceutical calculations), pharmacognosy(Trease and Evans). That all I can remember but I think there is always a tutorial after exam for 200L students. Just pray ASUU end the strike in time n pls, read well o. #Idi-araba
tanks 4 d info I am also movin 2 idiaraba..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 9:53am On Sep 18, 2013
abeg forgive am na.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 18, 2013
i have written JAMB for dis good years....and MBBS seems somehow....I biliv i will still study MEDICINE....but.....i am really puffed up with it.....I av come to understand even in my prayerlessness...dat God is the greatest........
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Hoyeenz(f): 10:19am On Sep 18, 2013
Congrats. Enjoy pharmacy.
Breezy90: tanks 4 d info I am also movin 2 idiaraba..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by goodman3(m): 10:24am On Sep 18, 2013
I have been quiet since! I wanna be active here from now. Well I am preparing for my preclinicals cool.......I am very grateful for being a medic cheesy
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 18, 2013
Lagusta: Dr lomaxx, Dr. Alutacontinua, there is one very important issue you guys fail to add always...... PRAYER!!!!!!!

you can never make it as a medical student without God on your side, Christian or Muslim.....

I once had a classmate who was so brilliant, he was the overall best student while he was in the polytechnic, he gained admission to study geology, but his passion for medicine drove him wild..... however he was given anatomy..

But that didn't stop him, he crossed over to medicine (Cos of his terribly high GPA )... in the end, he repeated the 2nd year and was withdrawn in the third. Year,,,,,,,,

What's the point? Look at me, I am not as stuffy as lomaxx, but by God's blessings, mercy and favour, I scaled through all the bitter years of medical school.....

peeps, always put God first, never be proud to others, always respect your seniors and lecturers, read well, attend classes and practicals, form group discussions, but PRAY PRAY AND PRAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!

I'll be back, this nurse wants to kiss me.... undecided

Not everybody believes in God, but I still added it for those who do!

Where have you been since Doing VE
This one you come dey kiss nurse early morning, u better don't catch kissing disease.

Lomaxx sweetie, how're u dis morning? And how did ur exam go yesterday?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 11:18am On Sep 18, 2013
@ dr aluta,nice 1,watching manchester united playing na my hobby 4 naw ooo.I hope i get over this when pre clinicals start.@ dokita lagusta,prayer is d master key.........sure it works 4 me all tru my pre admission years and 1st semester exams.........@phoenix,I dey wait 4 u........2 u all,Is medical skul alxo on strike?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Boluzie(m): 12:10pm On Sep 18, 2013
lomaxx:
I was in this shoe once. Reading ahead of pre-clinicals. Now let me pause here to give an observation.

Excelling in Pre-Medical year is much about how well you observe tradition in your school and also about how much you work hard. What do I mean by tradition?

Example, If tradition has it that notes are the rate limiting step for zoology, and you kill yourself with hardwork over some zoology textbook, you are so on your own. If your seniors say note is what is needed, you have no business going outside your notes.

Pre-Meds (especially those just admitted) in your various med schools, do well to have someone in the class just above you - to feed you with updated ways of passing each course well and avoiding pitfalls.

Pre-Clinicals is much about how well you are smart to revolve your time about the volumes of Gross Anatomy, the ambiguity of Embryology , the vagueness of Histology and still have a headway in the intense volumes of mechanisms and processes in Physiology coupled with the dense pathways of biochemistry.

You have to be smart with your time. How much time you invest in a course will determine how smoothly it would go for you.

Some people end up doing so well in Anatomy or Biochemistry (because they are perceived as difficult) while their Physiology is very leaky. [b] You must strike a balance. Zeal may not help too much here. You need to be smart.

For those reading ahead of Pre-Clinicals, I recommend that you avoid Keith Moore (for now). Why? It's too voluminous and you will only end up reading too much stuff. Mostly irrelevant stuff. For your Gross, I endorse Snell's Clinical Anatomy. For histology, I endorse BRS Histology. For Embryology, I endorse BRS Embryology. You can get the BRS Books off the net.

I used Snell's, BRS Histo and BRS Embryo. I never had below a 69% in Anatomy and my Physiology and Biochemistry was perfect. I never even read so zealously.

I had people that used Keith Moore and all other popular books but came close with so much zealous work. What if I was zealous? Food for thought.

For Physiology, I endorse either of Guyton & Hall or Ganong or Fox Physiology. BRS Physiology is good. I used Guyton and BRS Physiology and stood a chance at a distinction viva. Medical school politics stood in my way. It's a long story.

For Biochemistry, I endorse Vazudevan Biochemistry. There's Harpers Illustrated Biochemistry and Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry for lovers of hyper-stuff. My combo was Vazudevan and Kaplan Biochemistry. I used Kaplan more.

Your note would be the most important thing you will need. Make sure you copy well.

Managing information in med school is very important. There are too much information you don't need circulating in standard texts. You must be wise in knowing what you need. This is where a syllabus comes in. I have a standard and comprehensive MBBS Syllabus for Pre-Clinical year gotten from a Med School somewhere in Europe. It's a standard syllabus. It's in .pdf. There's an email address in my profile. If you need it, send me a mail.

Good luck to all pre-meds and pre-clinical folks. Even to aspirants. Bless!!!
sir lomaxx tanx 4 d info,pre med guys all is well.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Boluzie(m): 12:30pm On Sep 18, 2013
Medics n pharmacists,we shldn't behave lyk cat n rat,we all shld work as a team n compliment each oda's work,nt fightin among ourselves.by d way where is tobbie 09 n saxophemsy(oau medics)?guess dey ar doin wat dey knw hw 2 do best ''reading''dr.lagusta,aluta,aliandro,melisso,i c u all oooo.shalom.

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.