Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,613 members, 7,955,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:45 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1926325 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (912) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 6:09pm On Apr 07, 2013
Lagusta:

MCQ: na so we see am ooo, i have written 500 MCQs in one and half hours, obstetrics and gynecology, and about 850mcqs in pathology....

Just try and be practising them, they usually repeat MCQs....

As for the cadavers, well dont worry, uLll get used to it, a matter of time....

One secret i use is to visualize the bodies as manikins or dummies....

And please dont run away from the lab ooo, because the lecturers will set questions on the muscles and organs seen during the practical exams....
Dat Mcq is one qustn per micro seconds den.Ma brain nau ve to b processin per micro sec no more per sec.God wil surely show His mercies on all of us.u ppl must b tinkin robotic n out of normal scince studentz.......Dat cadava na hmmm,cos if itz me eeh,all i will b thinkin is dat if dis guy dem dey cut so go stand up,i go pick race ni oo.But am i wil cop cause whr i did ma i.t is a general hopt.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:22pm On Apr 07, 2013
^^ Cadaver is a THING! So there is nothing to fear about it, when u get there u will get used to it... About the MCQ, in my school, you're nt expected to finish everything, it's just like when a lecturer is asking you the following question in a 2hrs paper
1. write about the joints of the lower limbs.
2. Posterios thing region.
3. Posterior compartment of the leg.
3. Adductor canal and popliteal fossa
4. Lumbosacral plexus.
And the instruction says, attempt all questions, he is not in any way expecting you to answer everything, because an answer to one of those question can actually take 20min of your time sef......u get?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 12:29am On Apr 08, 2013
adeaugustus: ^^ Cadaver is a THING! So there is nothing to fear about it, when u get there u will get used to it... About the MCQ, in my school, you're nt expected to finish everything, it's just like when a lecturer is asking you the following question in a 2hrs paper
1. write about the joints of the lower limbs.
2. Posterios thing region.
3. Posterior compartment of the leg.
3. Adductor canal and popliteal fossa
4. Lumbosacral plexus.
And the instruction says, attempt all questions, he is not in any way expecting you to answer everything, because an answer to one of those question can actually take 20min of your time sef......u get?
Yeah,i understand.But in dis Mcq,not d whole qustnz carry d same mark?if so u ve to answer d ones dat wil elevate yur point if i guess right..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:20am On Apr 08, 2013
labodinho: Yeah,i understand.But in dis Mcq,not d whole qustnz carry d same mark?if so u ve to answer d ones dat wil elevate yur point if i guess right..
the whole question carries the same mark ooo.... But the pass mark 4 all exam is 50% so how fast and intelligent u are decides how high ur score will be...but for someone nt 2 fail, u must be fast to answer what will earn u 50% and above
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 1:18pm On Apr 08, 2013
adeaugustus: the whole question carries the same mark ooo.... But the pass mark 4 all exam is 50% so how fast and intelligent u are decides how high ur score will be...but for someone nt 2 fail, u must be fast to answer what will earn u 50% and above
Aah! Medico na die o.To yur experience n hearings,wat r d maxi range of mcq resultz? Cos am wonderin dat 50 percent if ppl scale thru it.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 3:28pm On Apr 08, 2013
labodinho: Aah! Medico na die o.To yur experience n hearings,wat r d maxi range of mcq resultz? Cos am wonderin dat 50 percent if ppl scale thru it.
Boss, it is very much possible to score -5% in my school, *no exaggeration* and i have seen ppl score 70% so it all depends. There are some stages in medical college that you just have to read and pass them because the information are just too enormous to be absorbed in.... But Hey! People are doing it and having A+ in their exams so you can do it too....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 6:21pm On Apr 08, 2013
adeaugustus: Boss, it is very much possible to score -5% in my school, *no exaggeration* and i have seen ppl score 70% so it all depends. There are some stages in medical college that you just have to read and pass them because the information are just too enormous to be absorbed in.... But Hey! People are doing it and having A+ in their exams so you can do it too....
Datz true o,der r sum stages in Education dat yur aim is jst to read n pass cos no tym for absorbtion wich i had dat experience too.ppl r ve'in A+? Dat kinda mcq na like fastest thinker jst like fastest finger.Medical guru's r smokin HOT!!!,A+......God of possibility still exist by His being,I SHALL SUCCED AND WE ALL TOO

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:47pm On Apr 12, 2013
This place is getting dusty gradually! embarassed embarassed
*dusts thread*

Sir Lagusta, is your result out? How was it?
Also, can you drop a question for medicos to chew for a while?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:58pm On Apr 12, 2013
alutacontinua: This place is getting dusty gradually! embarassed embarassed
*dusts thread*

I concur! The reasonable explanation is that, school work is just too much.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Muktar05(m): 11:36pm On Apr 12, 2013
"LAB DUDES" @OP, Why do you call us with that name?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 6:26am On Apr 13, 2013
Muktar05: "LAB DUDES" @OP, Why do you call us with that name?

i dont want the topic name to be too long, thats why, i'll change it soon
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 6:27am On Apr 13, 2013
alutacontinua: This place is getting dusty gradually! embarassed embarassed
*dusts thread*

results are out.....

Which question do u want, pre-clinical or clinical....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by 1stUnique(m): 7:46am On Apr 13, 2013
Anyone tongue wink even if possible, post clinical question, lolz
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:25am On Apr 13, 2013
A four year old boy presented to your hospital with persistently high fever and two episodes of abnormal jerky movements, he was force-fed by the mother with a herbal concoction prior to presentation

a) list the differential diagnosis

b) what are the problems this child is exposed to

c) what is the most likely diagnosis in this environment, outline your management approach
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:32am On Apr 13, 2013
For pre-clinical students

a young boy was brought to the hospital, with the mother complaining about poor learning skills. On examination, you found a flat occiput, flat nose bridge, and single simian crease on both hands

a) what is the most likely diagnosis? State three other differentials

b) in which other ways can this boy present with

c) what is the pathogenesis behind this disorder?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:36am On Apr 13, 2013
Pathology:

a whole lung specimen was brought to you after a pneumonectomy. On gross examination you found multiple small millet-shaped nodules scattered all over the lung

a) state your diagnosis

b) what are the aetiological agents?

C)briefly describe its pathogenesis
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:43am On Apr 13, 2013
Pharmacology:

a forty year old woman who was just tested HIV positive was brought to the emergency department with high fever, chills and rigors, the patient was started with empirical antibiotics, but blood samples were taken for microscopy, culture and sensitivity. After three days, there was no improvement, and the MCS done showed no growth. A wise house officer suggested a fungal infection..

A) if you were the house officer, which antifungal agent will you start with empirically

b) describe the mechanism of action of your choice agent

c) what are the adverse effects of your choice antifungal
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:43am On Apr 13, 2013
M waiting.....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:54am On Apr 13, 2013
Phew! Dr. Lagusta has dropped it. Medicos, come and chew sumtin ooooo

I'll be back!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 1:34pm On Apr 13, 2013
for preclinicals....diagnosis i fink is shprintzen's....it can also present with long nose nd palate defect....pathogenesis is microdeletion of chromosome 22 originating from either parents...not too sure....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:38pm On Apr 13, 2013
ebsuguy: for preclinicals....diagnosis i fink is shprintzen's....it can also present with long nose nd palate defect....pathogenesis is microdeletion of chromosome 22 originating from either parents...not too sure....

me think it's Down's syndrome. Pathogenesis is also a genetic cause. Either trisomy 21 or Robertsonian's Translocation between chromosomes 8 & 21.

If it's down's syndrome, then, there might be presence of epicanthal folds and heart defects.

Would be back with the differential diagnosis.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 2:07pm On Apr 13, 2013
alutacontinua:

me think it's Down's syndrome. Pathogenesis is also a genetic cause. Either trisomy 21 or Robertsonian's Translocation between chromosomes 8 & 21.

If it's down's syndrome, then, there might be presence of epicanthal folds and heart defects.

this babe is smoking hot!!!!!

Common things occur commonly, we were not even taught sprietzein's or whats the name, cos i'm sure it isnt common....

Is the translocation between 8-21 or 14-21
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 13, 2013
Lagusta:

this babe is smoking hot!!!!!

Common things occur commonly, we were not even taught sprietzein's or whats the name, cos i'm sure it isnt common....

Is the translocation between 8-21 or 14-21

It's 14-21. My bad! Already confusing it with Acute myeloid leukemia (8-21)
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:37pm On Apr 13, 2013
Lagusta: Pathology:

a whole lung specimen was brought to you after a pneumonectomy. On gross examination you found multiple small millet-shaped nodules scattered all over the lung

a) state your diagnosis

b) what are the aetiological agents?

C)briefly describe its pathogenesis

I've not started systemic pathology but it seems like i've come across something like this in Microbiology. Seems like a bacterial infection. MILIARY TUBERCULOSIS. caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 4:53pm On Apr 13, 2013
alutacontinua:

It's 14-21. My bad! Already confusing it with Acute myeloid leukemia (8-21)

thats why i said you're SMOKING HOT!!!!!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 4:55pm On Apr 13, 2013
alutacontinua:

I've not started systemic pathology but it seems like i've come across something like this in Microbiology. Seems like a bacterial infection. MILIARY TUBERCULOSIS. caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis.

ok, u're not just smoking hot, u're ON FIRE!!!

Its correct, miliary TB, plss complete the answers plsss
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 13, 2013
Lagusta:

ok, u're not just smoking hot, u're ON FIRE!!!

Its correct, miliary TB, plss complete the answers plsss

Boss, i'm gentle oo.... smiley smiley smiley

The pathogenesis
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 13, 2013
alutacontinua:

Differential diagnosis could be Angelman's syndrome. not so sure about that
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Muktar05(m): 10:47pm On Apr 13, 2013
Lagusta:

i dont want the topic name to be too long, thats why, i'll change it soon
Easy sir! You don't have to, it makes the topic sound good. I'm medical lab aspirant currently running my final year in Science lab and trying to obtain my D.E form. My thought was you referred to them as LAB DUDES cos of their less work compared to you people. I'm i right?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:55pm On Apr 13, 2013
Muktar05:
Easy sir! You don't have to, it makes the topic sound good. I'm medical lab aspirant currently running my final year in Science lab and trying to obtain my D.E form. My thought was you referred to them as LAB DUDES cos of their less work compared to you people. I'm i right?

no ooo, everybody plays his/her own role, just to make the patient get better, by God's grace...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Muktar05(m): 11:03pm On Apr 13, 2013
Lagusta:

no ooo, everybody plays his/her own role, just to make the patient get better, by God's grace...
Ok. Any advice for me dude?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 11:10pm On Apr 13, 2013
Muktar05:
Ok. Any advice for me dude?

MLS is also a good and lucrative course, just stay focused, pray hard, and study... I also have interest in lab medicine, especially hematology

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (912) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: Derralya and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.